ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > Children's Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Children's Diagnosis & Treatment This forums is for parents to discuss issues related to diagnosis and treament of children with AD/HD

Old 08-12-10, 04:27 PM

lynn86 will become famous soon enough
2nd opinion

got my daughters appointment thru for her 2nd opinion can any one give me advice as to what will happen i want to get the best out of it
Old 08-13-10, 09:43 AM
Contributor

mimi'sdreaming is just really nicemimi'sdreaming is just really nicemimi'sdreaming is just really nicemimi'sdreaming is just really nice
Re: 2nd opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn86 View Post
got my daughters appointment thru for her 2nd opinion can any one give me advice as to what will happen i want to get the best out of it

Hey lynne!

Are you seeking a second opinion for general ADHD? Was there something said in the first evaluation that you didn't agree with?

I'm certainly no expert, but will help in anyway that I can. I'm on my third opinion as we speak.

ADD mom to a 7 year old with ADHD combined type.
We both have the privilege of adding "Anxiety" into the mix!
Old 08-13-10, 10:54 AM

hi the first opinion my daughter was off the scale at home but was just leveling out at school that was 2 years ago her teacher before they broke up siad she would back me up for a second opinion as she and alot of people that know my daiughter think there is something not right . alot of people some of which have kids with adhd say i should get another assesment ive had to fight like mad to get one but got one on wednesday thank goodness cause the behaviour is getting out of hand now
Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-10, 01:05 PM
Contributor

mimi'sdreaming is just really nicemimi'sdreaming is just really nicemimi'sdreaming is just really nicemimi'sdreaming is just really nice

Quote:
hi the first opinion my daughter was off the scale at home but was just leveling out at school that was 2 years ago her teacher before they broke up siad she would back me up for a second opinion as she and alot of people that know my daiughter think there is something not right . alot of people some of which have kids with adhd say i should get another assesment ive had to fight like mad to get one but got one on wednesday thank goodness cause the behaviour is getting out of hand now
So, you're needing it for school? It does sound like it to me (just from what your wrote).

Good luck and let me know how it goes. We're very lucky that our school is so accommodating with an IEP.

Old 08-13-10, 03:49 PM

whats an iep
Old 08-13-10, 08:23 PM
Contributor

Quote:
whats an iep
Individualized Education Plan. If you can't get that, check into a 504.

ADHD is a disability and must be treated as such if you hand a diagnosis to the school. They must (by law) set up a plan and follow it for your child. Do some research and you'll find many things to help you.......

I'll be happy to help you!

Old 08-13-10, 08:50 PM
ADDvanced Member

Sam I Am is just really niceSam I Am is just really niceSam I Am is just really niceSam I Am is just really nice

Lynn as you are in Scotland, you won't have 504, but I imagine there are still IEPs. Though the categories of disabilities that they are used for, procedures, policies etc will be different to the US.
I still haven't managed to work out whether we should have one for DS or not.
Must ask some other Mums.
Good Luck with your second opinion. Though I'm sure the teacher will be asked to fill in the same questionnaire (Conners?) again. So unless things have changed for your DD at school since the last time, or the teacher was being generous the first time, you may not get much of a different result.
I recommend writing down the things you are concerned about and the difficulties you and DD experience on a daily basis, then give it to the person you are attending. Our team found that information helpful. I'm not good at thinking/talking in such formal settings to raise my concerns or remember the questions I want to ask.
Old 08-13-10, 09:38 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
Lynn as you are in Scotland, you won't have 504, but I imagine there are still IEPs. Though the categories of disabilities that they are used for, procedures, policies etc will be different to the US.
I still haven't managed to work out whether we should have one for DS or not.
Must ask some other Mums.
Good Luck with your second opinion. Though I'm sure the teacher will be asked to fill in the same questionnaire (Conners?) again. So unless things have changed for your DD at school since the last time, or the teacher was being generous the first time, you may not get much of a different result.
I recommend writing down the things you are concerned about and the difficulties you and DD experience on a daily basis, then give it to the person you are attending. Our team found that information helpful. I'm not good at thinking/talking in such formal settings to raise my concerns or remember the questions I want to ask.
So sorry! I didn't realize you weren't in the U.S. I need to pay more attention to location.

Old 08-14-10, 04:37 PM

thanks yer im going to write all the things i can think of that has happened down and take it with me my daughters behaviour is getting worse she will get out her seat in class and go intefere with other people at different tables she has stole had to be removed from the class ect the first assesment i had no back up from the school this time the teacher has told me she would back me up. more recently if someone says something the wrong way the back chat she gives them especially her friends is unreal they are starting to stay clear of her. i have been asking for help for lauren from the age of two and it has always fallen on deaf ears