ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Inattentive ADD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Inattentive ADD A forum set aside for the the discussion of inattention and inattentive ADD

Old 08-13-10, 07:42 PM

chris_ is on a distinguished road
Question Intuniv for ADHD-PI?

My psychiatrist as well as other people I spoke to didn't really know what ADHD-"Primarily Inattentive" was. They just knew that there was ADD and ADHD. But my psychiatrist ultimately prescribed Intuniv (guanfacine). He said it was because it had the least amount of side effects, but from what I've read this medication is usually used to treat kids and teens up to age 17 who have ADHD with hyperactivity, and I definitely have the "inattentive" subtype. When I first started taking the 1 mg sample, I felt drowsy and sleepy - the opposite effect I wanted out of it. I spoke to the psychiatrist, and he insisted that I would see benefits as the dosage increased to 3 mg. But, is Intuniv the best way to treat adhd-pi in the first place?
Old 08-13-10, 09:24 PM

Paradiso is on a distinguished road
Re: Intuniv for ADHD-PI?

I've seen a lot of prescribers and most only knew less than or as much as me. Just cuz he's a shrink doesn't mean that he knows what's right. Research medications and find one that you think will be right for you and tell him that's what you want and why. Except in the case of contraindications, if he doesn't go with what you want then he's a know-it-all type thus useless. If that's the case, you'll never get anywhere with him and will need to find a Dr. who listens. So far, it sounds like he's not listening. If he can't handle you taking charge then he's on a power trip and needs replaced.
Old 08-13-10, 09:38 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

firstdesserts is a splendid one to beholdfirstdesserts is a splendid one to beholdfirstdesserts is a splendid one to beholdfirstdesserts is a splendid one to beholdfirstdesserts is a splendid one to beholdfirstdesserts is a splendid one to beholdfirstdesserts is a splendid one to behold

Another aspect of the use of medications to consider is that what works for one patient may not work for another. Side effects, and efficacy of the drugs also vary. A percentage of people (myself included) do not respond to stimulants at all.

I know it's been a couple thousand years, but doctors are still "practicing" medicine.

Visit the Exercise Forum here to check out the Get Fit Club, a group of people changing their lives for the better by caring for themselves enough to exercise.

"Spend a day in my head before you tell me what my problem is!"
Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-11, 01:01 PM

gnomesnow is on a distinguished road

Chris, can you provide an update on your experiences with Intuniv? My daughter has severe SCT and we've been considering a trial of this drug.
Old 01-08-11, 02:50 PM
Contributor

m1trLG2 is a splendid one to beholdm1trLG2 is a splendid one to beholdm1trLG2 is a splendid one to beholdm1trLG2 is a splendid one to beholdm1trLG2 is a splendid one to beholdm1trLG2 is a splendid one to beholdm1trLG2 is a splendid one to beholdm1trLG2 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ View Post
My psychiatrist as well as other people I spoke to didn't really know what ADHD-"Primarily Inattentive" was. They just knew that there was ADD and ADHD. But my psychiatrist ultimately prescribed Intuniv (guanfacine). He said it was because it had the least amount of side effects, but from what I've read this medication is usually used to treat kids and teens up to age 17 who have ADHD with hyperactivity, and I definitely have the "inattentive" subtype. When I first started taking the 1 mg sample, I felt drowsy and sleepy - the opposite effect I wanted out of it. I spoke to the psychiatrist, and he insisted that I would see benefits as the dosage increased to 3 mg. But, is Intuniv the best way to treat adhd-pi in the first place?
If your Psychiatrist doesn't know about "Primarily Inattentive" then I would switch doctors. If it was me I would probably make a complaint to the medical board because he is essentially an MD that has specialized in the area of Psychology, it's his duty to know this... especially a disorder as 'common' as ADHD. The majority of problems that Psychiatrists diagnose fall into ADHD, Depression, and Anxiety. Basic undergraduate Psychology students learn about the types of ADHD.

Anyway, I would get a new doctor because I can't understand why a doctor who didn't know what the problem one would know what meds to prescribe.

Just look at it this way. If you went to a doctor to talk about treatment for cancer and he said, "I have never heard of cancer, but I think taking insulin will help you. Take 20mg a day." Would you blindly follow? If the doctor demonstrates a lack of understanding about your problem and you are unsure of his treatment it's always best to get a second opinion. It's ok to suggest med changes to a doctor but when you are the one doing all the research that means the doctor isn't doing his job.
100% medicated
The Following User Says Thank You to m1trLG2 For This Useful Post:
alan1 (01-16-11)