ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 08-15-10, 02:23 PM
Contributor

quirkyscrawler will become famous soon enough
Does Lamictal interfere with Adderall?

I actually posted this under the Lamictal area, but I think the Adderall section is more active. So sorry for re-posting.

Does Lamictal interfere with the efficacy of Adderall?

I don't know if it's just my imagination, but I feel like the Adderall hasn't been quite as effective since I've started Lamictal. It's quite possible though, that my body has just adjusted to the Adderall. Actually, before the Lamictal was added, I would automatically wake up sometime between 6:30 and 7:30am without an alarm - unusualy for me, and I was hoping to get a little more sleep (I realize that people usually get up for work around this time, so I have nothing to complain about). But I would go to bed earlier to compensate, but this was problematic when I started going out again with friends and had to stay up. The early risings (which might be considered a mild form of "late insomnia" - at least I don't wake up at 4am) have stopped since the Lamictal, so maybe it was due to some kind of chemical imbalance.

At the same time, I am not pleased that I am drifting off into tangential thoughts again while I'm trying to read. The Adderall still helps to some degree...if I'm firm with myself and try to stay focused on the page, it helps me to get through the sentences with more ease than if I were unmedicated. However, I find that I have been thinking about other things, like what I'm going to write about that day (I'm a writer), etc. But I need to read the damn book.

I also worry about putting so much Adderall into my body. I know that adults are advised not to take more than 40-60mgs a day, but that this depends on the particular situation, but I think I get a little nervous about the idea of exceeding 60mgs (IR). Perhaps I actually need more if the Lamictal is interfering with the Adderall, but is this so?

Does anyone know? Thanks!

And yet - I know I need the Lamictal, or some other kind of mood stabilizer, because there are times when I've been unable to concentrate even on the Adderall because there is something bothering me emotionally.
Old 08-15-10, 02:34 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,318 Times in 1,328 Posts
Trooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Does Lamictal interfere with Adderall?

There are no known interactions between Lamictal and Adderall.
Old 08-15-10, 03:53 PM
Contributor

novaprospekt will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMiller View Post
There are no known interactions between Lamictal and Adderall.
I think this needs to be emphasized with this particular drug.

I did a little reading both on Wiki and other websites and not a lot is known about how Lamictal actually works in humans. It's compared to the very old drug Lithium and even that drug there is only speculation as to how it works.

Speculation on Lamictal's mechanism of action includes modulating sodium channels like Lithium, as well as "balancing natural levels of neurotransmitters"(dopamine, norepinephrine, serotonin, gaba, etc.) which is incredibly ambiguous.

I will say that it is possible there is some interference between Lamictal and Adderall but no one truly knows how it would be if indeed it did interact.

You may want to talk to the doctor about this one but perhaps trying a week on Lamictal and off of it to see if Adderall functionality is different would be the best way to see if there's an interaction. If you don't absolutely need it and it's minimizing Adderall's effectiveness in your opinion, it may be worth considering stopping.
I am not a doctor. I am a 21yo college student studying biochemistry and pre-medicine. I have extensive interest in pharmacology, particularly in the fields of mental disorders. I hope my advice is helpful but always discuss problems or changes to medications with your doctor first!
The Following User Says Thank You to novaprospekt For This Useful Post:
doiadhd (08-15-10)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-10, 04:00 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,258 Times in 1,845 Posts
doiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond repute

I'm on lactimal and think it has to be checked....if you stop taking lactimal problems may occur as well.

Phone your Doc.
Old 08-15-10, 07:00 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

kiosk is a jewel in the roughkiosk is a jewel in the roughkiosk is a jewel in the rough

i did a lot resarch on this drug as was considering it and there was a ton of reports that it diminishes the adderall effectiveness..since its balancing neurotransmitters anyways it makes sense.....when entertaining the potential impacts of a drug its best to judge by experiences rather than chemistry IMHO
The Following User Says Thank You to kiosk For This Useful Post:
doiadhd (08-16-10)