ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 08-19-10, 06:43 PM

Samantha23 is on a distinguished road
NEW to Adderall...can NOT sleep...ADVICE PLEASE!!!!

I'm 23 years old, have always been very intelligent with the focus and drive of a 2 year old. No interest in anything really, pretty indifferent about life. I also recently discovered how un-aware I am of myself. I'm so out of it all the time I've never even sat back and considered my "symptoms", until recently...ridiculous. I always just thought myself a lazy, or not really interested person and it was what is was. I recently switched doctors and (please I do NOT need judgement, not interested in nasty opinions) and spoke to my new physician about wanting to lose like 10 lbs. He suggested I try adderall. (again...I KNOW THIS IS NOT APPROPRIATE!) I have never experimented with any drugs other than heavy pot usage in the past (no longer)...especially not any prescription drugs, but I accepted the Rx. He gave me 20 mg IR, I filled the Rx and it sat in my purse for over 2 months. I have been reading these threads for the past two months, combing through every and all topics, reading and reading, weighing out good over bad, and seeing if weight loss is as a regular enough side effect to weigh out the cons. So i decided to take the pills about a week ago, 20 mg, twice a day. I have had more focus, and clarity in the past week than I have since puberty. I have virtually no side effects (except for sweating which is disgusting), no ups and downs, no raised heart beat, nothing. Just, focus, concentration, the want to get things done, increased stamina while working out, etc. it has been great...however I havent slept well if any in a week and i'm starting to worry. I've been taking first pill at about 8am when i wake up and second around 1pm in the afternoon....drinking ridiculous amounts of water and just continuing on with normal activity otherwise. I cannot fall asleep until 3 or 4 am, and then for the next few hours just wane in and out of a drowsy fog, but no real deep sleep patterns. i'm freaking out, any tips, and advice, should I NOT take these pills anymore, I don't need to be lectured, I am an educated adult, I am looking for help here.
Thanks
Old 08-19-10, 08:00 PM
Jr Member

kts815 will become famous soon enough
Re: NEW to Adderall...can NOT sleep...ADVICE PLEASE!!!!

I was also diagnosed at the age of 23 (I'm 26 now). I had all the symptoms but, like you, just thought I was deficient in certain areas (had all the telltale signs as a kid too, I just had uninvolved parents and went undiagnosed).

My older brother was the first person to recognize me as ADHD. He's 13 years older than me, and lives pretty far away so we had never spent an extended amount of time together. When I went to visit him it only took him a week to ask if I'd ever seen a psychiatrist for ADHD. It had never occurred to me that there might be a medical reason for "the way I was". I was shocked when he told me he had been evaluated years back and was diagnosed, which is why he was able to spot it in me.

Sure enough, the diagnoses was confirmed by my psychiatrist and I have been on Adderral (IR and XR) ever since. So that's my story and I can relate to being blindsided by an adult diagnosis, but enough about me :-)

First of all, you should probably see someone to be evaluated for ADHD. Just because you like being on Adderall doesn't mean you have ADHD and should be taking it. Lots of people love Adderall... most of the people I went to college with took it to stay up later to party and/or cram for a test. It has a HIGH potential for abuse and even if you have a diagnosis of ADHD a medical professional should work with you to determine the correct medication and dosage.

Second, I'm not sure about this doctor prescribing Adderall for off label use for weight loss. There are other drugs (Phentermine) that are meant specifically for weight loss and have the same effect of more energy/less appetite. It just seems off to me, so that's why I recommend another evaluation. Plus, once you lose the weight he'll take you off of it (if he's ethical) and then you'll need an ADHD eval to continue meds anyway. Why wait, right?

And lastly, if you're not sleeping the quick fix is don't take the second pill until your body adjusts to the medication. OR...You can break IR tabs up too, so you can also try taking half a pill in the morning and half in the afternoon. I would say talk to your doctor about it but I think just get a second opinion. I'm wary of a doctor who prescribes 40mg of Adderall a day to someone off label, and then doesn't go in depth to educate their patient about the side effects and tell you how to adjust your medication if you're not sleeping.

The ability to just go and go and go feels great at first, but you'll quickly turn into a crazy zombie person with no sleep. Not healthy, so you're right to be concerned.

Oh, just thought of something! (Sorry for the long post) When I first started taking it I had sleep problems too and I was already taking them first thing in the AM, so I started setting my alarm an hour before I had to get up to take my meds and then go back to sleep. Then I'd pretty much pop out of bed before my alarm went off, and it set my "med timing" back an hour so I could sleep earlier.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kts815 For This Useful Post:
meridian (08-19-10), stan_a_rooch (08-19-10)
Old 08-19-10, 08:17 PM

stan_a_rooch is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the forums!

Something I found on here, though I can't quite remember where, was that citric acid helps flush amphetamines out of your system. I just started on Adderall as well (10 mg IR 2-3x/day). Last night it was creeping up on my bedtime and I wasn't feeling tired at all. I chugged a tall glass of OJ, and it seemed to help. I still got to bed at a reasonable hour.

Not quite sure if it actually works or if it was psychosomatic, but I did get some decent sleep.

Hope that helps a bit.
The Following User Says Thank You to stan_a_rooch For This Useful Post:
meridian (08-19-10)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-10, 08:30 PM
Modulated

Thanked 6,892 Times in 2,971 Posts
meridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Samantha and welcome to the Forums!

Try a pill splitter. I take 5 mg in the AM and 2.5 mg 4-5 hours later.

Today -- after 65 days on that regimen I took 5 mg at 8:30 AM and another 5 mg at 1:30 PM and that's it for me! But I DO get side effects. and when I took 15 in one day I had a bad crash, so we are all different.

Seriously though, taking a little less and seeing how it works for you is probably a better idea than just stopping -- especially if the only issue is getting to sleep ( I do realize that sleep is important!)

You might try cutting the 20s in half and taking 10 every 4 hours (8-12-4) for a total of 30 mg and see how that works. Or ask your doc what he/she recommends.

HTH

I've lost about 15 pounds so far in 2 months, BTW -- only 40 more to go!

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

“Would you deny for others what you demand for yourself?” – U2

“The future ain't what it used to be.” – Yogi
Old 08-19-10, 08:39 PM
Modulated

Thanked 6,892 Times in 2,971 Posts
meridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kts815 View Post
I'm not sure about this doctor prescribing Adderall for off label use for weight loss. There are other drugs (Phentermine) that are meant specifically for weight loss and have the same effect of more energy/less appetite.
Terrific post! And welcome to the forums, too!

Adderall was conceived originally as a weight loss drug, but that really is a side effect.

Samantha, kts815 is absolutely correct about getting the AD/HD eval, splitting the tabs and taking less and re-timing the dosing (everything) -- and especially the Doc who would prescribe Adderall for weight loss!

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

“Would you deny for others what you demand for yourself?” – U2

“The future ain't what it used to be.” – Yogi
The Following User Says Thank You to meridian For This Useful Post:
kts815 (08-19-10)
Old 08-19-10, 08:45 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 13,630 Times in 5,039 Posts
ADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha23 View Post
I'm 23 years old, have always been very intelligent with the focus and drive of a 2 year old. No interest in anything really, pretty indifferent about life. I also recently discovered how un-aware I am of myself. I'm so out of it all the time I've never even sat back and considered my "symptoms", until recently...ridiculous. I always just thought myself a lazy, or not really interested person and it was what is was. I recently switched doctors and (please I do NOT need judgement, not interested in nasty opinions) and spoke to my new physician about wanting to lose like 10 lbs. He suggested I try adderall. (again...I KNOW THIS IS NOT APPROPRIATE!) I have never experimented with any drugs other than heavy pot usage in the past (no longer)...especially not any prescription drugs, but I accepted the Rx. He gave me 20 mg IR, I filled the Rx and it sat in my purse for over 2 months. I have been reading these threads for the past two months, combing through every and all topics, reading and reading, weighing out good over bad, and seeing if weight loss is as a regular enough side effect to weigh out the cons. So i decided to take the pills about a week ago, 20 mg, twice a day. I have had more focus, and clarity in the past week than I have since puberty. I have virtually no side effects (except for sweating which is disgusting), no ups and downs, no raised heart beat, nothing. Just, focus, concentration, the want to get things done, increased stamina while working out, etc. it has been great...however I havent slept well if any in a week and i'm starting to worry. I've been taking first pill at about 8am when i wake up and second around 1pm in the afternoon....drinking ridiculous amounts of water and just continuing on with normal activity otherwise. I cannot fall asleep until 3 or 4 am, and then for the next few hours just wane in and out of a drowsy fog, but no real deep sleep patterns. i'm freaking out, any tips, and advice, should I NOT take these pills anymore, I don't need to be lectured, I am an educated adult, I am looking for help here.
Thanks
Hon- I'm not qualified to judge you so I won't, kay?

The fact that you are having such major issues with sleep leads me to a few questions- are you using any other caffeine source? I was on 40 mg Adderall and had to cut out ALL caffeine and ALL sugar or I was nuts. Would it be reasonable to change the time you take your med to 7a and 12noon? Even that slight difference might help.

Adderall can be a funny thing. I would also suggest that you pick up a handy pill splitter and try cutting a single 20 mg in half. Take one half in the morning and one half in the afternoon. Try to track that for several days.

You didn't get your Adderall illegally and your doc may have accidentally just proven that you have ADHD. This is not a bad thing.

Because he thought he was giving you Adderall for weight loss, he didn't think to titrate. That can present problems of its own. Something that you can do for you now would be to stop the Adderall for two or three days. Then start by taking only 5 mg morning and afternoon. It probably won't feel like it's doing much and that's okay. After a week of 5 mg twice a day, try 10 mg twice a day. Give that at least a week. Be aware of how you are sleeping on it.

Get back in front of your doc and tell him what you experienced along with your history. Most of us are pretty darned bright. Many have excelled in a variety of areas. ADHD means we think different, that's all.

Never forget. "Normal" is just a setting on the washing machine.
Do you really want to be a setting on the washing machine?
If you do, wouldn't you rather be the spin cycle?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ADHDTigger For This Useful Post:
meridian (08-19-10), peripatetic (08-19-10), stan_a_rooch (08-19-10), tinywiney (08-19-10)
Old 08-19-10, 09:54 PM

Samantha23 is on a distinguished road

THANKS!...

As far as the caffeine intake goes, I am 23 years old, don't smoke, have not consumed ANY caffeinated beverages in years (except tea) don't do drugs, hardly ever drink, and if I do its 1 or 2, and over all am a pretty healthy person. I looked into it a little further, and I found weight and body fat percentage have a lot to do with the wat amphetamines dissolve in your system. I'm 5'7, 150 lbs...I know you're all probably thinking why on earth is she taking meds for weight loss, but whatever, it is what it is. I've decided that the 40 mg a day, especially coming from virtually zero foreign substances in my system is just WAY too much for me. I'm going to take a little advice from everyone of you that replied to my original post. I took my 2nd pill today around 1pm, it is now 9:48, I am mentally drained and my eyes are burning from the strain, however my body is awake as it has ever been and I don't see an end in comfortable sight. I chugged a full glass of OJ about 7:30, I will admit I felt a rush immediately, almost as if the OJ re-activated the dose, but that quickly wore off and I feel the same as I did before, just more exhausted. Tomorrow I'm going to start my day at my usual time regardless of how much or little sleep I get, continue my excercise regime, however I'm going to take half a 20mg (so 10mg) first thing in the am, and then the other half around lunchtime, hopefully that'll be enough to keep me up, which I like the way it feels, push me through a great workout, but be low enough of a dose to be able to break down by bedtime. If htis doesn't work, I'll go to 10/5 on Saturday and just continue trial and error until something gives, or until I go completely nuts from sleep deprivation. Thanks again for all the input!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Samantha23 For This Useful Post:
meridian (08-19-10), stan_a_rooch (08-19-10)
Old 08-19-10, 10:54 PM
Jr Member

kts815 will become famous soon enough

Ok wait. And I'm not lecturing or judging, really. But your BMI is in the normal range and your doc put you on 40mg Adderall... on top of no discussion in re: adjusting meds/side effects?

Something just doesn't sound right about this doc. And this is not directed at you. At 5'1" with a curvy/muscular body type I look great at the top o my BMI. But my best friend is 5'10 and willowy and looks better at the bottom of her BMI range, so I have no judgement with regards to you wanting to lose weight.

I just can't shake the feeling that this doc went overboard on the meds really fast, and red flags are going up for me. Anyone else feel this way?

I'm glad you're going to use some of the suggested quick fixes :-). But please still see another doc. Also, if you feel slighty nutty/agitated right now don't worry, a good nights sleep will fix it!

I hope you feel better soon!
The Following User Says Thank You to kts815 For This Useful Post:
livinginchaos (08-19-10)
Old 08-19-10, 11:57 PM
Contributor

mechnik has disabled reputation

I had quite a bit of trouble sleeping when I first started with stimulants. I would fall asleep then wake up couple hours later and stay up for hours.
Reading these comments I realize that I need advice about best way to determine proper dosage.
In any case, your serotonin level determines if you are overly sleepy, suffering from insomnia, or sleeping well.
Interestingly, someone can have very low sertonin when taking SSRI antidepressants.
Supplement 5-HTP is the immediate precursor of 5-HT aka serotonin.
It made a very big difference in how well I sleep.
It's not a placebo, unlike some other supplements that are supposed to improve your bran function but can never get there, 5-HTP readily passes the blood-brain barrier.
For falling asleep I found melatonin works well.
I used to take 200 mg before bed. Now I split it between morning and evening. 50 mg might be sufficient too.
Old 08-20-10, 12:19 AM
Jr Member

Nutellanick is on a distinguished road

When i first started to take adderall I had this symptom for about the first 2 weeks, but then it went away