ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Education
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Education This forum is to discuss issues related to ADD and higher education.

Old 08-25-10, 05:12 AM

Matthew20 is on a distinguished road
VTAC applying for University current course excellent past history shocking

Hey peeps
I'm applying for a university degree as a non-year 12 and I have to fill out a section.
The question concerning Education History Post-Secondary Studies section on the online application. It mentions:

"Now we need to collect information your secondary studies, we need to collect information about any tertiary studies you may be doing or have. You should enter all DEFERRED, ATTEMPTED, CURRENT and completed tertiary studies starting on the next page. If you DO NOT claim all studies any forthcoming offers may be withdrawn."

I have previously been enrolled in other Tertiary courses with shocking results several years back I don't feel comfortable to include my previous courses which require my results posted aswell, I had shocking results as I didn't enjoy the courses. My current course is going extremely well with excellent grades I have claimed that and will post my results to them. I just think the institute I'm applying to will judge me on my previous courses aswell which I did poorly and wont have the same rights/chances as a non-Post-Secondary-Studies applicant. Should i post my previous poor studies ? Not sure exactly what to do don't want to ruin my application either.

They also give you the chance to write a Personal Information letter on there website with limit characters and also you have the chance of Special Entry Admission Scheme as a Mature Adult & any disability you might have I will definitely take the advantage of that get my psychologist to confirm and support me on that.

Thanks for any advice in advance
Old 08-25-10, 05:46 AM

Thanked 32,211 Times in 14,552 Posts
peripatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond repute
Re: VTAC applying for University current course excellent past history shocking

greetings,

i hope this helps, but you should know that i'm unfamiliar with the australian system and my comments are based on my familiarity with the american, and to a lesser degree european, ones. if the courses were awhile ago and you've since performed well, it's usually to your benefit to report everything because:

1. most admissions committees value improvement and many will disregard years-old marks or at least give them substantially less weight--there are even some universities (admittedly not mine) that focus on the last two years of secondary school for deciding admissions;

2. you note having an opportunity to 'explain' in an essay section--trust me, you're not even close to the first person who's needed to do similar explaining and the fact that they offer it means they do intend to consider it;

3. stating that withholding the exact info you're considering omitting will nullify your application indicates (or at least would indicate at my university) that they will do some amount of fact-checking and quite possibly have the means to ensure compliance *and* even if they don't find out in time to withdraw your admission, since they've phrased it in such a way that enables them to boot you if they happen to find out at any point in your studies.

overall your description suggests the program you're applying to has encountered other students in your situation and that's why they both provide opportunities to account for poor marks in the past and demand full disclosure. thus, i encourage you to provide all requested information
Old 08-26-10, 05:42 AM

Matthew20 is on a distinguished road

Thank you for the feedback, I will get started on preparing a letter explaining my personal history and also my condition. Any resources available on how to write a letter to a university ? if not not to worry thanks once again
Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-10, 06:22 AM

Thanked 32,211 Times in 14,552 Posts
peripatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond repute

are they asking for a statement of purpose or thematic essay or....?? if you copy and paste the instructions i can give you more guidance be sure to note the maximum word count and also if there's a separate writing sample (and if so, might as well copy and paste those instructions, too).