ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Medications for Co-Existing Conditions > Anti-Depressants
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-10, 07:35 AM

violet21 is on a distinguished road
Does Lexapro/Cipralex give you energy, alleviate apathy and tiredness, and help ....

Does Lexapro/Cipralex give you energy, alleviate apathy and tiredness, and help you stay motivated and focused? but Trazodone?

i went to the doctor because i am always tired, and apathetic, i have poor concentration and motivation. for me it sounds more like ADD, but 2 different doctors prescribed me Trazodone (the forst one) and Cipralex/Lexapro(the second one). they told me(separately) each drug will make me feel better and will stimulate me. i've read on the forums these meds are for anxiety and may make you feel tired and apathetic. i am already that way!!!!!
i took both of them a few times(not at the same time) and each one made me tired. i'm afraid to take the medication, why do everyone want to make me more tired that i already am????? it seems that noone wants to give me medication for ADD!!!
does your ADD make you tired or is it just a symptom of depression? i am tired during the day but often i have difficulty falling asleep because of inner agitation.
i think i'm depressed mainly because of my attention deficit, and this mood it makes my concentration poorer that it really is. i'm afraid antidepressants are not the right for me, but i don't get it, why do doctors want to make me more sedated that i really am????
please help me, what do you think i should do? i only need your opinions and experiences, it would help me a lot. thanks
Old 08-27-10, 08:14 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

hollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nice
Re: Does Lexapro/Cipralex give you energy, alleviate apathy and tiredness, and help .

generally speaking adhd makes you frustrated and all over the place and basically wears you out , hence you feel tired. Thats the way it is when your going and thinking of a million different things all the time. Additionally, some antidepressants like the ones you just mentioned indirectly improve attention by reducing distracting and competing stimuli that steals your attention while tasking, so indirectly and overtime with a medication like lexapro it could ease your adhd if you were stressed severely and having physical symptoms of depression by easing your mind and thus redirecting your thoughts from frustration to the task at hand. That is if you are really stressed and hate what your doing even with treated adhd your mind starts to naturally try to search for a way out of the given situation that your in, in this situation lexapro over many weeks would set your receptors back to doing whats important and focusing on what your job is and relax you. In general and in my short term experience I have never been able to take lexapro or a drug like that because the slow down is just too much, it can help over many many weeks but the waiting period could be awhile. With adhd its going to make your symptoms way worse for a matter of weeks prior to seeing improvement. All in all ssri's like the two you just mentioned do not offer much benefit for adhd and thats probably why you don't see much in the forum for the given issue. Yet if you are depressed and have been duressed for a long time and are on an ample stimulant dose and your main symptoms are frustration and feeling on edge all the time it may be something that can help. Personally speaking being in a job that has low locus of control and alot of monotony combined with long hours sitting in the same space can easily turn into to depression anxiety.