ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Vyvanse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine dimesylate)

Old 08-29-10, 10:51 AM

JudithD will become famous soon enough
Will Vyvanse test on a pre-employment Drug Screen?

I guess this question applies to most of the ADD drugs.

Will Vyvanse show up as an Amphetamine on a pre-employment drug screen test? I have to assume it will.

Do you tell your potential employer that your on ADD meds as a heads up? Or will they hold that against you?

Thank you, JudithD
Old 08-29-10, 01:04 PM
Contributor

demo3210 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Will Vyvanse test on a pre-employment Drug Screen?

I personally try to avoid telling my employer only because they might not know much about ADHD. I don't want my ADHD to be a consideration to them or have their limited knowledge of the medications pass judgment upon me. That is just me. There are many other people, if not more, that say you should tell your employer as to avoid any surprises in case something 'comes up'. Also, if you don't tell your employer up front about your 'disability', I believe it would be much more difficult to pursue any course of action relating to the Americans with Disabilities Act if you needed to in the future - that is only my assumption. I'm not familiar with the ADA law at all, but just saying it might be a consideration worth looking into.

What I believe you can do in this situation is when you go to the drug testing center, I think you can put it on the drug testing form at the drug test site and/or tell the person testing you that you are taking [insert medication here] and that you're taking it because your diagnosed as ADHD and have a prescription from your doctor. They may then ask you to provide your doctor's information so they can verify it. So when Vyvanse does show on your drug test, the medical review officer at the site should mark you off as 'passed' and your employer will know nothing of the sort other than that you passed your test. You might also want to bring your prescription bottle with you to the site.

That is my theory of how the process works. I've never had to do such a thing or experienced it myself, so I have very little credibility. I have also heard of the above scenario not panning out and the drug testing site issuing a detection of amphetamine anyway and someone not getting the job because of that, perhaps it was an incompetent nurse.

The best idea would be to talk to your doctor about this and see what he/she thinks you should do. Also, it would be wise to get your doctor to give you written documentation of your prescription and bring it with you as well, in addition to your prescription bottle.
JudithD (08-29-10)
Old 08-29-10, 01:05 PM
Jr Member

Dan73 is on a distinguished road

Yes, it will show up in a drug test as Amphetamine. I recently had to take a drug test for new employment, and had to show proof that I was prescribed Vyvanse. Options were to take in the prescription bottle, fax my prescription bottle label to them, or have them contact my doctor.

I didn't have an opportunity to let my new employer know about my prescription medication because it's a big company, but I would probably say something about it ahead of time. No harm for being up front and honest, right? There is a possibility they might hold it against you, because of the negative stigma on ADHD medication. But if they do, is that really a company you want to work for?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dan73 For This Useful Post:
JudithD (08-29-10), musiclvr2675 (03-28-12)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-10, 02:50 PM

Thanks guys -
I re-read my post and realized I wasn't that clear.

I wouldn't tell my potential employer about the ADD - I was just worried that the med would test and wouldn't want to be denied the job as they would see that I failed because I was taking *Amphetamines*. In their eyes - an illegal drug user.
Old 08-29-10, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan73 View Post
Yes, it will show up in a drug test as Amphetamine. I recently had to take a drug test for new employment, and had to show proof that I was prescribed Vyvanse. Options were to take in the prescription bottle, fax my prescription bottle label to them, or have them contact my doctor.
Dan,
When you say "Them", are you referring to the drug test facility??
Old 08-29-10, 07:36 PM
Jr Member

Dan73 is on a distinguished road

I told my new employer about my prescription medication, but I also had to pass two different background checks to get the job. So I needed to be up front and honest about things.

'Them' was referring to my employer and the department of corrections in my state. The drug test facility just took the test, and sent out the results. They didn't really have much to do with anything. Just had to prove my prescription meds to my employers.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dan73 For This Useful Post:
JudithD (08-30-10)
Old 08-30-10, 03:40 PM

gibbons482 is on a distinguished road

Stimulants will show up on a drug screen. I usually get a copy of my prescription from my doctor or take the bottles to let them know I'm taking it and might turn up positive.
The Following User Says Thank You to gibbons482 For This Useful Post:
JudithD (08-30-10)
Old 08-30-10, 10:55 PM
Contributor

Alex9 is just really niceAlex9 is just really niceAlex9 is just really niceAlex9 is just really nice

You may test positive for amphetamines, but as long as you can prove to your potential employer that you've been prescribed vyvanse, its probably not something thats worth worrying about.
Old 11-01-10, 03:34 PM

lostdisk is on a distinguished road

I am in the process of changing jobs, and going though a drug test currently. I have gone though one in the past, when I was just on Adderall, but now I'm on Vyvanse.

Now, I was informed I didn't have to say anything to my employer about the drug, and that if I did test positive that I would receive a phone call asking for some additional information. In the past I just needed to provide the prescription numbers, currently I am still waiting to see what I need to supply.

In addition, this is not the standard drug test, this company does a hair drug test.

LD
Old 11-01-10, 07:01 PM
Jr Member

adriane7 is on a distinguished road

Yes it does but because I have a prescription they verified it and I was completely fine. Just be open with them and tell them what you take
Old 11-01-10, 07:10 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,318 Times in 1,328 Posts
Trooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond repute

Don't tell your employer, tell the people administering the test and show them proof of the prescription by giving them an Rx number and a pharmacy to contact to verify it. They will not tell your employer.
dediobst (03-23-12)
Old 11-03-10, 12:50 AM
Contributor

penguin has a spectacular aura aboutpenguin has a spectacular aura about

Hi,
What Kmiller said...
Old 03-23-12, 02:50 PM
Jr Member

dediobst is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trooper Keith View Post
Don't tell your employer, tell the people administering the test and show them proof of the prescription by giving them an Rx number and a pharmacy to contact to verify it. They will not tell your employer.
Old thread, but still relevant....

This is exactly what happened. For a summer job I just got, they asked if I would pass the drug test. I, of course said absolutely, not even thinking anything about Vyvanse. The drug testing place (LabCorp) didn't ask about prescriptions either, and it wasn't until today that I even realized Vyvanse would show up. I called them worried (about not being up front and testing positive) and they said not to worry and that they don't accept documentation ahead of testing anyway. When you show up as testing positive, they call you and ask for your prescription number and then they call your pharmacy to verify.
Old 03-23-12, 02:51 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 5,127 Times in 2,593 Posts
Flory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond repute

yes it will be a false positive you need to declare you are taking it.. , i have issues in that when i start to compete in taekwondo at a higher level (later stages) i will have drug screens and some people in sports DO NOT allow it : (