ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > Forums Help, Q&A
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-10, 06:03 PM

100MPH is on a distinguished road
what do the thanks/thanked things mean?

Couldn't find the answer in the Q&A, FAQ, whatever. Does it mean someone appreciated a post of mine and/or found it helpful or informative. And I should "thank" someone if I found a post of there's helpful or informative to me? thx
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 100MPH For This Useful Post:
Dizfriz (09-01-10), Imnapl (09-01-10), peripatetic (08-29-10), tinywiney (08-29-10)
Old 08-29-10, 08:14 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,638 Times in 1,734 Posts
Impetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: what do the thanks/thanked things mean?

I guess I kind of use it similar to the "thumbs up" on Facebook.

you can also click on the scales in the upper right hand corner to give someone either a positive of negative Rep rating.
I often warn people: "Somewhere along the way, someone is going to tell you, 'There is no "I" in team.' What you should tell them is, 'Maybe not. But there is an "I" in independence, individuality and integrity.
-George Carlin
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Impetus For This Useful Post:
Dizfriz (09-01-10), Imnapl (09-01-10), meridian (08-29-10), tinywiney (08-29-10)
Old 08-29-10, 08:21 PM

Thanked 3,710 Times in 1,801 Posts
tinywiney has much to be proud oftinywiney has much to be proud oftinywiney has much to be proud oftinywiney has much to be proud oftinywiney has much to be proud oftinywiney has much to be proud oftinywiney has much to be proud oftinywiney has much to be proud oftinywiney has much to be proud of

Here is the explanation - http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70429
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tinywiney For This Useful Post:
Dizfriz (09-01-10), Imnapl (09-01-10), meridian (08-29-10), peripatetic (08-29-10), sarek (08-30-10)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-10, 03:19 AM
Moderator of mind and heart

Thanked 21,251 Times in 8,589 Posts
sarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond repute

What I just did when reading tinywiney's post is an example. I could have written my own post to give thanks but that would clutter up the forum unnecessarily. Instead, using the thanks button prevents mile long threads with endless repetitions.
Dizfriz (09-01-10), Imnapl (09-01-10), Impetus (08-30-10), tinywiney (08-30-10)
Old 08-31-10, 10:12 PM
Contributor

Lv2sleep is a name known to allLv2sleep is a name known to allLv2sleep is a name known to allLv2sleep is a name known to allLv2sleep is a name known to allLv2sleep is a name known to allLv2sleep is a name known to all

I have a related question... Is the "Thanks" basically the same as "Reputation?" Is one better than another?

Also, how do you know if you receive negative reputation? Is there a way to find out? I just see a couple of green squares by my name.

Thanks!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lv2sleep For This Useful Post:
Dizfriz (09-01-10), tinywiney (09-01-10)
Old 09-01-10, 08:17 AM

Thanked 13,641 Times in 5,040 Posts
ADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks says, "I like that!". Reputation says "I like that and think that you presented the information particularly well!"... at least as I understand it.

If you go to your user CP, you will see the posts (last five, I think) that you received reputation for. A green square means positive rep, a red means negative rep, and a black means that the person who gave you rep does not have rep points to give yet.

Never forget. "Normal" is just a setting on the washing machine.
Do you really want to be a setting on the washing machine?
If you do, wouldn't you rather be the spin cycle?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ADHDTigger For This Useful Post:
Dizfriz (09-01-10), Imnapl (09-01-10), Lv2sleep (09-01-10), tinywiney (09-01-10)
Old 09-01-10, 10:01 AM
Moderator of mind and heart

Thanked 21,251 Times in 8,589 Posts
sarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond repute

Reputation is more of a personal thing. Other member notice that you have been given rep but they do not know why.
The thanks button is very much a public gesture.

For me, giving rep is a higher form of praise reserved for when I really appreciate what someone has written.
I never give negative rep to anyone. That is such a 'negative' thing to do and almost invariably unneeded and unwarranted.
Lv2sleep (09-01-10), peripatetic (09-01-10), Spikey 723 (10-27-10), tinywiney (09-01-10)