ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Education
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Education This forum is to discuss issues related to ADD and higher education.

Old 04-24-03, 09:33 PM
Contributor

Slowpoke will become famous soon enough
College and ADHD-How to make school easier - use nice looking things

Hey all,
I have been trying to find a way to keep my notes organized all through school. Having a locker was great in high school, but in university it's annoying to carry around everything for some reason.

I have tried having one master binder which was OK, but then it got to be too big with the textbook and all.

I tried the clipboard - the notes never made it to their respective binders until the end of the term, or until the clipboard was jammed full of notes.

I finally just bought a spiral bound notebook that looks really cool with pockets in it... and just use the one notebook to take lecture notes. They pages are perforated so I can rip them out to put them in their respsective binders IF I WANT TO LATER ON.
So far, this works the best.
I thought that having all the subjects out of order would be annoying and confusing, but I really find that having them "secured" in place and in chronological order to be really nice.
I think as well, that I had this idea that lecture notes were "the final draft" when in fact, they aren't really. With that realization, I at first felt that it was a waste to get a nice notebook to take the "rough" notes in, but now that I did it, I realized several things:
1) having things LOOK nice makes me FEEL better, and actually makes me want to take it out to study more. It's like saying "Hey, I'm worth it"

2) things don't need to be organized by subject to be organized. I guess my mind works in organizing things chronologically rather than categorically

3)or it could be that the feeling of having the pages really rooted in place by the spiral binding reassures me that I won't lose all my notes, and that I'll always have all my notes with me if I ever feel like reading them -whenever I want, wherever I want

4) there is no "right" way to do it.

So, my challenge now is that figure out a way that I will make it appealing to recopy those lecture notes (organize the info) into better copies.
So, as a test run, I bought the "main" notebook (bright yellow! yay!) and two other coloured notebooks. I have matching plastic folders to go with them.
My friend suggested that I think of it like I'm going to make a course study notes book from the lecture notes. So I recopy everything into one main book and just use that to study from.
I'm sure other people have been doing this all along, but I guess having someone say it like that helps it seem less daunting.

I think everyone else can agree that the word Studying makes us nervous, or makes us feel like we have to get ready to fight to achieve what we want to...

Other neat stuff I got...
-ruled stick note pad, larger in size.
*I use these to write out lecture outlines as we go along in class, and then stick it to the first page for that day later.
*they're also really good for taking notes in a textbook

-plain sticky note pad, larger size
*for diagrams (the ruled ones are annoying for when I want to draw)

*coloured and shaped sticky notes
these are just cooooool.

the cooler stuff is, the more likely I am to use it, which means that I will be more likely to use it to organize and learn.

silly things that also help:
*scented jel pens to underline text in textbooks
-I switch colours when the subject/topic changes (eg. if it's listing two contrasting ideas, I use different colours)

*a cool pencil case

* a cool mechanical pencil (that is comfy to hold... the Rx ones are nice and fat so my hand doesn't cramp up)

So this whole thing has made me realize that I have a lot of psychological issues about feeling guilty about using nice things to make learning easier or feel more fun.

but I figure that if I'm paying $10Gs a year to study here and I'm not doing so well, I might as well just use any means there is to help me do better...

Can anyone else relate to this philosophy of mine?
I feel a little weird...but it does seem to take the anxiety off.
brickbreaker (01-02-14)
Old 06-12-03, 04:09 PM
ADDvanced Member

D.Lerious is on a distinguished road
Wow! I'm the same way about school supplies! For example, I prefer to use nicer mechanical pencils and cooler pens of all colors.
Old 09-04-03, 05:26 PM

LilSisw/Add is on a distinguished road
Actually, thank you for the ideas. It's been 7 yrs since I was in school last (high school) and I was trying to figure out how I was going to keep all my notes straight. Your way sounds like something i could do. LOL right now Im feeling a lil overwhelmed with everything, but I'm hangin in there!!

Tina
Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-03, 10:17 PM
Contributor

I have discovered that it is all quite psychological...
up to now, I have thought of myself as a crappy student, and so I was skimping on school stuff, feeling that I didn`t `deserve` the nice stuff.

I let go of the guilt, and started buying the nicer pens that are easier to write with, bought nice notebooks, and colour coded stuff. It all makes school easier to handle, and it`s helped me have a better attitude about it.

A minor step, but whatever makes me feel more confident and comfortable about my investment in my educational pursuits, right?
Old 09-10-03, 12:29 AM

SObearCAL is on a distinguished road
After years of simply piling up handouts, rendering them useless, I've found the one thing that keeps me organized-ish throughout a semester. It is shaped like a businessperson's portfolio, except that it closes shut with velcro. On the right side there is a legal pad (where I write notes for each class; the old "chronological filing system" ), and on the left there are five accordian-style folders. So, when the handout deluge comes, I have my filing system literally right in front of me.

Nice pens are a must, too. Justify the cost like this: if you hold onto a pen for three months, use it one hour a day, and spend an extra $10 for a good disposable, you're paying $0.09/hr for a more comfortable way to write, which can have a tremendously positive impact on your grades, therefore also on your post-graduation earning potential. ROI on that pen is in the stratosphere!
Old 12-05-04, 12:50 AM

laraR has disabled reputation
I really like the ideas here. There is one thing and that is I have always been sort of attracted to stationary in a way like I've always liked bright color coded files, notebooks, cool pens wid good grips and stuff..I've always loved that stuff but I've always been berating myself and feeling guilty when I spend on my wants.
But now after reading this, I'm feeling that hey it's better for me to spend on myself, make myself feel good and this way I'll study a lot more!!!
Old 12-06-04, 12:26 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

pembroke is a jewel in the roughpembroke is a jewel in the roughpembroke is a jewel in the rough
hee hee - i thought it was just because I had a love for all things "office supply".

Every year before I get recalled to duty, I have to hit the office supply store to get my colored pens and mechanical pencils and I even have a pencil case to keep everything in. And I made a stamp that has all the information we have to put on batch labels at work and I carry a multi-colored inkpad with me.

I bought my own dividers for the work manual we are issued every season, and keep all the other stuff that I need (notes, and various tables) in clear plastic sheets, so I can put them in the ringbinder with the manual. I thought I was being over the top, until I noticed that after that first year, a lot of other people have started doing the same thing.....

I guess ADDers can be trendsetters.
Baruch Spinoza

Old 12-07-04, 04:22 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Christiana is on a distinguished road
I love office supply stuff too... anything cool and colorful and clean... but I always tell myself that those are just surface things... what I really should be focusing on is the WORK ITSELF... but you know what? Since learning more about ADD I really do think this kind of stuff is worth it. THey say ADDers are very affected by their environment, and of course we seek anything stimulating or novel like bright colors and cool sticky notes!
I guess I just always thought I didn't deserve that kinda stuff becuase I wasn't good enough for it. I wasn't organized enough to deserve an organizer... LOL how's that for logic????
Old 12-19-04, 10:17 PM
ADDvanced Member

Outsider is on a distinguished road
wow...I wish I had read this thread years ago! Maybe I should go buy some nice colourful office supplies. Before I bought the spiral bound notebooks my stuff was a disaster...now it's only disasterous by organized people's standards.

I had a teacher in high school who would do notebook checks - she would collect all our notebooks and grade them on how organized they were. I remember I would photocopy all the handouts that I lost and match the order with my friend's book, and date all the pages and underline the titles and still managed to fail.
One time in high school I actually lost an assignment in my notebook...my teacher said that if we didnt hand it in before class started it would be late. I told her that I had it done but couldnt find it - I pointed out my notebook which was on my desk in the back of the room...even from that distance, she was pretty shocked.

In my first year of university, I used a clipboard and paper to take notes in lectures. I ended up with a drawer full of notes with all my classes mixed together and some mostly empty binders lying around somewhere. I really shocked someone when they asked to borrow my notes for a lecture they missed. I tried to fish through it and find the notes but it was pretty impossible since I didnt write the date on anything. Oh well, I think my illegible writing and the doodling all over the margins scared them off anyways.

Now my notes are under control (with the spiral bound books) but handouts are still a problem...this semester I intended to keep them all in the pockets inside my binders - that worked untill I stoped bringing the binders to class - then the handouts piled up and disapeared into my room. What I need is a spiral bound notebook that has pockets that I can put handouts in.....does that exist? Hmmm...I guess I can make pockets out of duct tape...but it wont be very pretty.
Old 12-20-04, 01:07 AM
ADDvanced Member

robmhill is on a distinguished road
made a note book out of 20 gauge sheet stainless and print my own paper
a complex graph paper, on legal sized sheets.
and i use nice mech pencils.
some of which i frankinsteined by putting different bits together from different penils

write notes on this paper with date page and subject on top
it makes it easy and i have actually gotten people notes when they missed them.
Old 12-20-04, 10:08 PM
Contributor

Hey,
Yes, there are spiral bound notebooks with pockets in them.
I've seen a cool accordian file with a clipboard on the inside of it.
I thought I had the system under control (I have/had the same issues as you... clipboard thing... ending up with 3 months of notes on my clipboard not in order...) started typing my notes on my laptop, since I type really fast and it's easier to take the stuff down.

I ended up losing the whole month's worth of notes b/c I formatted my harddrive and my friend erased the notes that I backed up on his hard drive... so it's really WASN'T an ADD moment... isn't that ironic???

My laptop also started to have an issue with heating up and spontaneiously combusting... ok ok, not combusting but getting really hot and shutting off. Not ideal. I've had to be careful with the computer thing, making sure it's not being used before my lectures and turing the screen down and stuff like that.

The best notebooks I have found are called "wired"
here's what I like about them:

* nice sturdy plastic cover

* have pocket dividers

* heavy paper (gel pen inks won't bleed through... it's distracting to read for me)

* spiral bound

* perforated

------

about the two sides thing... I have figured out that it's actually MY BRAIN so I should let myself learn the way I learn best... meaning I am entitled to just using one side of the paper so I can use the backs to brainstorm and doodle if I need to later on.

I've always been a keener on recycling paper... and felt guilty about not using the back side, but considering it's more comfortable to use one side, I've decided to do just that from now on.

As for the losing notes thing, I just submitted to having one spiral notebook, it lives in my knapsack (READ: if I take it out, it MUST go back in there when I'm done), I take all my notes in that binder, so they're all in chronological order.

It's also an incentive to go to every class.

When I take notes for ANYTHING now, I like to use the spiral... even for things like essays and library research. I just have a notebook, take the notes, and then rip them out later to organize them. But until I'm ready to organize the info, they stay in the spiral notebook.

Good luck with stuff!
I'm still working on 3 essays, which has forced me to withdraw from term 2 courses, but it works out all right, since I can grad this semester with a major/minor... I was going for double major and Bachelor of Education, but I don't want to do the public education system training for 2 years... I'm actually kind of relieved.

ANYWAY, gotta go study for a final exam...
Old 12-20-04, 11:21 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

pembroke is a jewel in the roughpembroke is a jewel in the roughpembroke is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christiana
I guess I just always thought I didn't deserve that kinda stuff becuase I wasn't good enough for it. I wasn't organized enough to deserve an organizer... LOL how's that for logic????
If not you, then who? The linear thinking "organized" don't need stimulation to help them organize, so they won't buy that stuff. You need to do your capitalist duty and get all the pretty stuff to help you stay organized, because ADDers deserve all that stuff just because we have to function in this world! So, how's that for logic?
Baruch Spinoza

The Following User Says Thank You to pembroke For This Useful Post:
hillzy (08-07-08)
Old 01-11-05, 05:00 PM
Jr Member

Lisa G is on a distinguished road
I know what you are talking about, but I don't think these things work just because they are pretty and stimulating etc, I think they work cause it is a system you can relate to, and I know what you mean about caring a lot of stuff. I try dividers too and tabs, but the best thing is the lap top, you put the notes in the lap top, and use the table of content to organize the prinicples, and once you understand the principles the other things fall in place, and then it does not take so much concentration to see the value. I had the best calculator in my class it was a ti 86, but in the states lots of students have ti 89, anyway you can put notes in there too from the wordprocessor to the program editor and they are organized in programs, the thing is ti 86 has a window menu and the ti 83 is more command driven, so the visual system works much better, cause you don't have to figure out how to sequence which is always hard, the system does it for you. I think you don't have to apologize for your existence.
Old 01-11-05, 05:57 PM
Jr Member

Lisa G is on a distinguished road
I also find this works, go to the used gw or some similar store, buy used brief cases, and Put each subject in one, put them all in a box, they are cheaper than new new binders, but I get used binders there too, so I put the notes and assignments done in the big binder, and just take the current stuff with me, but I keep the little note book just for principles and formulas, even though I take one course at a time, I have done 17 of them, and they are prerequisites, so you need to have it all well organized to cue yourself, which I think cueing is everything, the color or the prinicple or whatever, otherwise you have no structure, and it is the box I think is what we are trying to build. Outsider shows what happens if you don't have a system. The handouts I found I just made holes and put them in the binder, but in the classroom it took longer to organize it you had all your notes, so you just bring the assignment and the current notes to class, leave the binder at home, the brief case is good cause you put your text book when the class is over and handouts or what ever in different pockets and the system itself grows, and you dont spend time looking for stuff. I buy as much as I can used. The point is everything is in parts, so you don't lose a tree in the forest.
Old 02-16-05, 08:25 AM
Contributor

ADDitives is on a distinguished road
this year i have a zipped up binder which i TAKE to uni with me. in there i keep some post-it notes, my pencil case (with a variety of pens and pencils and highlithers) a bendy flexy ruler, and file paper.

i found sheet protectors which come in sets of 4 different colours - good becasue i have 4 units. so i keep 1 of each colour in the 'transporting' binder, and keep my unit outlines and lecturer/tutor contact details in there.

behind all that, just 'placed' but somewhat 'secure' in the back, i keep personal notes, including a poem called something like "the add children's bill of rights", which i wrote handwritten notes on the side about how each child thing translates to how i can help myself.

i title each piece of file paper with UNIT NAME, WEEK, TUTOR/LECTURE, DATE, PAGE NUMBER. when the class / day is over, i either put these things into the slips in the transporting folder or...

i have a folder which stays at home always, with the same colour coded page sleeves (those plastic slevs you stick in binders) and each unit has one for each week. i put each week's notes direct from what i wrote during class into the slip. later in the week, or whenever i get around to it, i do a 1 - 3 page summary (of 10 pages written in class) of that week, and put it in the ring binder, (written on file paper with the holes in it) behind that week's sleeve. i also type out stuff i need to, eg. when there's lists or tables or diagrams that need to be redrawn.

as far as GETTING STUFF DONE, i've tried so many things all thoguh school, and all through last year. last week i invented a revolutionary, yes REVOLUTIONARY!!! way of using POST IT NOTES, in an UNCONVENTIONAL and CREATIVE way.

i have a large sheet of paper, on the wall, blue tacked. i have litle post it notes (the 3x4cm ones) with TASKS written on them, stuck to the sheet. these are TASKS , and NOT REMINDERS (i hate post-it reminders, though they do have their place, more then 1 or 2 is distressing and confusing).
these TASKS are designed to be soemthing i can just SIT DOWN AND DO,
eg. summarise the lecture, or, read pages 1 - 15, or, whatever else...
and they are between 20 mins and one hour each. so its not too much to do.

my system so far has been that i take 3 or 4 off, depending on what i can cope with (oh and i only put them up for the week...), (and theyre written in pencil for reusability!), and i do them. when i've done one, i put a \ through it (in pencil) stick it to the pile of otehrs ive done, and write the date and the task done, so that i know what i've done.

this is good because i can see exactly what i have to do. there's no confusion or question. it's all very clear for me.

ify oure having trouble getting work done, maybe you should have a go at this idea or something similar?

be creative, and you dont have to organize yourself in a way that normal people do.

remember to break everything down into its smallest parts until it can be broken down no further. then do one of those. when it's done, do the next one.

and remember, hyperfocus can be a disadvantage (we should all know this by now!).

and also, don't getangry at yourself for "zoning out" or as i read it refered to the other day , having a "blink". we all know what i mean, right?
because, we CAN'T stop it, prevent it, tel when its coming or about to happen, and we don't know when we're doing it - only when its over do we realize.

don't stress over what you CANNOT CONTROL!

=)