ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 09-02-10, 04:11 PM
Jr Member

Mateenager is on a distinguished road
Adderall doesnt work anymore. WTF!!!

I'm at 60 mg IR a day.

I'm told this is the "max" dosage allowed per day. I'm at that point where I don't really feel it anymore working, and it's been like this for a month or so now.

I'm taking a hefty course load this semester at school, so obviously I need my addy to work.

I gradually went up in dosage, until I got to 60, and he said I can't go up anymore

I only take it 5 days a week, I usually try not to take it on the weekends.

ADVICE?
Old 09-02-10, 07:34 PM

Drizzy is on a distinguished road
Re: Adderall doesnt work anymore. WTF!!!

I had the same thoughts as you, I was(am) even at the same 60mg ceiling as you are. I thought that it wasn't "working" because I couldn't feel it. Pretty much once I stopped trying to "feel" it kick in/work, I noticed that actually WAS working, but my body had just become used to the effects.

Here is an example: You walk into someones house and it has a certain smell to it. After a few minutes, you can't smell anything anymore. Does this mean your nose "stopped working" ? No. It means your brain interpreted the smells, recognized that they are harmless, and it started working on the other things that are happening. It became used to the amphetamines and their action, you just don't notice it anymore.

Just because you don't feel it doesn't mean it isn't working. If you still can't focus, then it might be the wrong drug for you.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Drizzy For This Useful Post:
arrested_truth (09-02-10), Echoes (09-05-10), fropunka (09-02-10), LaVieEnRose (09-10-10), quirkyscrawler (09-04-10), tinywiney (09-03-10)
Old 09-02-10, 07:57 PM
Jr Member

how do you handle your dosage and dosing times?
Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-10, 09:52 PM
Contributor

quirkyscrawler will become famous soon enough

Hi, I'm in exactly the same boat. 60 mg IR, and I can't feel it the way I used to. The way I assess whether it's "working" or not though, is by how it affects my ability to read. Today I did notice a difference around the time the Adderall was supposed to kick in, as opposed to the few minutes before that, when I started reading. It has become quite subtle though, so I'm a little confused myself. I also recently titrated up my dosage of Lamictal though, so it might have something to do with the cognitive effects of that...but already I could tell that the effects of Adderall could be felt less over time. This doesn't necessarily mean it's not working though. You just have to engage yourself in a task of some sort, where you are actively doing something. I realized that I was spending too much time/energy worrying about the situation, and restlessly surfing the net...and this contributed to my sense of frustration.

I guess another way you can look at it is to compare your current situation to how you were with your ADHD symptoms, prior to starting medication. If it's better now than before, at least that's a good thing. But I can definitely relate to your frustration. Do you feel it kicking in with the first dose, at least? What I actually do in the mornings is take my dose and crawl back into bed for half an hour, entering some meditative or pseudo-sleep state, and I can feel the moment when I am suddenly more alert (partly because I take some rather sedating meds at night, and therefore feel quite sluggish in the morning...Adderall helps with this)...and feel like I am ready to start the day.
Old 09-02-10, 09:57 PM
Contributor

Another suggestion...Maybe we can figure this out together, as we seem to be facing a similar dilemma...

I'm also taking a hefty courseload this semester. I was thinking about how to deal with this earlier, in terms of when to take the Adderall, and so I asked myself in what situations do I need to be medicated the most? I realized that it was alone, reading or writing. I can probably go to class without it, if I'm engaged with the material (and I've signed up for some interesting classes, so this shouldn't be a problem, although there is one day where I have 3 seminars, back-to-back)...the only thing I'm worried about is experiencing a crash during class, which would not be fun. Maybe what I will do is drink coffee during these times...Times when I don't need Adderall is when I'm eating, going for a run (because it increases my heart rate too much and then I get anxious), and probably hanging out with friends...but the last also depends on the crash factor. I'm not really sure what to do about those nights when I have to stay out later.
Old 09-02-10, 10:43 PM
Jr Member

Alpineski is on a distinguished road

Why did you need to increase the dosage?

The euphoric/high will wear off after a week or two, but the concentration effects remain. It's actually nice being able to concentrate without having to get high.

Now to just get rid of the anxiety that's come back since I stopped Lexapro...
Old 09-03-10, 12:15 AM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpineski View Post
Why did you need to increase the dosage?

The euphoric/high will wear off after a week or two, but the concentration effects remain. It's actually nice being able to concentrate without having to get high.

Now to just get rid of the anxiety that's come back since I stopped Lexapro...
If you don't mind me asking, did Lexapro interfere with the efficacy of the Adderall for you? I'm on Lamictal to balance out my mood (although I'm not Bipolar), and I'm looking into other options...
Old 09-03-10, 01:00 AM
Jr Member

Alpineski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by quirkyscrawler View Post
If you don't mind me asking, did Lexapro interfere with the efficacy of the Adderall for you? I'm on Lamictal to balance out my mood (although I'm not Bipolar), and I'm looking into other options...
I didn't notice anything from when I was on 40mg of Lexapro and now (0mg). Maybe a little more increased euphoria, but not much.

I did go through SSRI withdrawl for a few weeks, mainly just feeling down and getting brain zaps. That was over the early summer, I'm 100% now (save for the anxiety).
Old 09-04-10, 07:36 PM
Contributor

Cool, thanks. That's helpful to know.
Old 09-04-10, 11:04 PM
Contributor

dbellca82 has a spectacular aura aboutdbellca82 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateenager View Post
I'm at 60 mg IR a day.

I'm told this is the "max" dosage allowed per day. I'm at that point where I don't really feel it anymore working, and it's been like this for a month or so now.

I'm taking a hefty course load this semester at school, so obviously I need my addy to work.

I gradually went up in dosage, until I got to 60, and he said I can't go up anymore

ADVICE?
I dont think its so much as it not working, as you have built a tolerance to the negative or usual side effects of the medication. Try comapring how you feel, or act when on the medication and off the medication over a period of a couple, or few days. You can also compare how you acted, or were previously before medicaiton also, and this helps to put in perspective. I have found though, that if you constantly wait, or anticpate when or how the medicaiton will work and have effect then you will be let down and disappointed, rather go about what you normally do not thinking about it and it will do its job just fine.

1 mg methylphenidate = 0.5 mg D-amphetamine = 0.5 - 0.75 mg Adderall

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry, alcohol is a solution.
The Following User Says Thank You to dbellca82 For This Useful Post:
LaVieEnRose (09-10-10)
Old 09-05-10, 04:39 PM
Jr Member

Yeah I guess what I'm referring to is that "euphoria" and "high" feeling that came with the medication in the beginning.
Old 10-18-10, 06:15 AM

pepsi_gal is on a distinguished road

i always take 20 mg XR or IR (I get a script for both) and I used to get a feeling come over me that made me so motivated to do my work and extremely focused.

however, in in the library and it is now 5:11 AM, and I have been here since yesterday at 3:30 PM. I have literally read 1.5 pages in my textbook, and found myself goofing off this entire time (for 10 hours straight)

I told my doc and she moved me up to 25 mg xr, but it isnt doing anything.

i feel the physical effects of it (heart rate a lil higher, awake/alert) but i have ZERO motivation/focus.

what do you guys suggest from any knowledge you have learned?
thank you so much in advance for any help.

(PS. I have tried a 30mg vyvanse today, and it did not help motivate me one bit).
Old 10-18-10, 03:48 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

kiosk is a jewel in the roughkiosk is a jewel in the roughkiosk is a jewel in the rough

when they stopped working for me there was something else wrong, likely the case most of the time since stimulants cannot "stop" working...is one that changes, not the med.....
I would suggest you have blood work done and check hormone levels (cortisol, thyroid, estrogen/testosterone) as these can make any stimulant work or not work at all....you cant function w/o balance hormone levels regardless of how much or how good stimulant you take....also make sure getting "restful" sleep and the basics (diet, exercise)
Old 10-19-10, 05:06 AM

Mattskat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateenager View Post
I'm at 60 mg IR a day.

ADVICE?
Either your Doctor is not being honest with you, or he/she isn't to familiar with Florida law. I'm not sure if the laws are different in other states. What your Doctor is doing is following the PDR. The FDA's maximum recommended dosage for an adult is 60 mg of Adderall per day, but that is only their recommendation. There are many doctors that wouldn't think of going over what the FDA recommends. Personally I call them tools. There is no law that limits your doctor from raising your dose to 90mg per day if they believe a lower dose is not helping and they have the records to show why a higher dose is needed. Even 120 mg per day is ok, but that is the limit and you have to be a well established patient with your Dr. I've been taking 90 mg's for the past 2 years, but over 20 years of dealing with ADHD I've learned that is what works best for me. Prior to that I was taking 120mg, but it made me to tired and lethargic. Don't misunderstand me. 60 mg per day is all most adults need and if you feel like adderall really isn't helping talk to your dr about trying another medication for ADHD. If they don't work you can always go back to adderall. I don't know how long you've been on Adderall, but it takes some time for your body and mind to get used to a CNS.
Old 10-19-10, 06:54 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Naussicaa has a spectacular aura aboutNaussicaa has a spectacular aura about

Yup, my psychologist told me that 60 was recommended, and he didn't like to go over 90 a day, but sometimes did.

Adderall doesn't seem to do it for me either anymore. I don't even concentrate anymore, it just makes me double up up work, and finish none of it.