ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Concerta
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Concerta (methylphenidate) Time released Ritalin - 10 hour long acting tablet.

Old 09-03-10, 02:42 PM
Jr Member

mingming is on a distinguished road
Does Ritalin cause memory loss?

I have been diagnosed with ADD but not quite sure if it is real ADD cause my symptoms is a direct cause of my past drug use. It has been about 10 years since I last used drugs but my symptoms persist. I complain of mostly poor memory and concentration which has tremendously affected my ability to establish any kind of career and have instead been working odd jobs just to get by. I have been on and off many different medications in the past 10 years and Concerta/Ritalin is one of the few meds that has helped. I considered going back on it but my doctor is weary of the idea because he is afraid that because the medication contains methamphetamine, it may cause memory loss in the long run. I have never heard of this happening but I am assuming that I am a special case since it was the same substance in ecstasy and speed, although a much greater dose that had cause my existing memory problems. Also, does it kill sex drive?
Old 09-03-10, 05:01 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,758 Times in 774 Posts
Possum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Does Ritalin cause memory loss?

Taken as directed, ritalin should IMPROVE memory and concentration. I don't know what it does if you abuse it by taking mega-doses or snorting it or something - probably nothing good.

Desoxyn is the one that contains methamphetamine.

Did you have ADD symptoms as a child and/or before you started doing drugs? Do you feel that you can now take a stim only as prescribed?

I know that a few people feel a loss of libido while taking ritalin, although I haven't seen that listed as a side effect either. Actually there is a thread here about INCREASED libido on ritalin!
Old 09-05-10, 02:25 PM
Jr Member

Thank you for your reply.

I believe ritalin contains the same chemical agent as cocaine and they both operate similarly in the brain which is also a concern regarding its affects on the brain. So instead of prescribing me any medications in the methylphenidate family, he prescribed me Wellbutrin SR, which can possibly help with the libido. I have been on it for about two weeks at 100mg two times a day and it doesnt seem to work so I am trying exploring other options.

I never had ADD symptoms as a child until after my drug/alcohol use which is why my doctor does not believe I have that, but rather a cognitive impairment.

I have noticed a dramatic drop in my sex drive in the past few years and because I have been on many medications, I dont know which medication it was that caused it. Regardless, I want to avoid any that can kill what is left of it. I stopped taking medications for about two years so even though all of the meds that i have taken previously should have left my body, for some reason my sex drive never came back.

Also in general are there any dangers in taking ADD medications in the long run, particularly on the brain?
Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-10, 06:13 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,758 Times in 774 Posts
Possum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I did a little checking for you on the net and, from what I read, it appeares researchers are more concerned about the heart, rather the brain. Here's a sampling:

This is a good round-up of studies done on the impacts of long term use of Ritalin in children (the italics are my own):

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview/id/572351.html

Quote:
These results demonstrate that the effectiveness of stimulant medication treatment of ADHD provided throughout childhood is comparable to the efficacy of stimulant treatment demonstrated in clinical trials.
Quote:
There's something interesting about a medication that's this safe and effective. We don't see that very often in medicine, even physiologic substances like thyroid hormone have more side-effects.

http://bestyoucanbe.blogspot.com/2007/04/safety-and-efficacy-of-ritalin.html

Quote:
Drugs such as Ritalin that are widely used are claimed to be safe. It is claimed that this drug is safe for use in both adults and children. However, there have also been claims against it. It has been reported that long term use of Ritalin has effects on individuals. Some people who suffer with bone problems have also had a history of Ritalin usage.
Quote:

In view of unconfirmed claims from people, it cannot be said for sure that there are no long term side effects of using Ritalin. However, in spite of the fears of this drug, it is still lauded as the best medical treatment for ADHD among all the known methylphenidates, central nervous system stimulants used in the treatment of narcolepsy and ADHD in children and adults.
http://www.always-health.com/adhd_ritalin.html

Quote:
Those who consume Ritalin are noted to be more attentive in their jobs and show better progress. It is clear that the drug has a positive effect on them.
Quote:

Some people may take the drug for extended periods and not experience any problems at all. Hence, it cannot really be said that there are side effects when one takes Ritalin for a long time.

I need hardly tell you that the stuff you get on the street can contain all sorts of nasty and even deadly side products. And the stuff speed can be cut with - YUCK, no thanks!

Two other thoughts come to mind - were you ever hit on the head and rendered unconcious? Is there a chance that you were knowinly or unknowingly exposed to carbon monoxide at high levels - from a faulty home furnace or burning a fire in a small enclosed space, etc.?

Blows to the head and CO poisoning can cause symptoms that mimic AAD.

Share your concerns about your libido with your GP.

The Following User Says Thank You to Possum For This Useful Post:
Imnapl (09-05-10)
Old 09-06-10, 06:01 AM
Contributor

dbellca82 has a spectacular aura aboutdbellca82 has a spectacular aura about

Sounds as if your Dr. is not to educated in the actual specifics of the medication. Personally, when I find out something such as when I was diagnosed with ADD, I made it a point to learn everything I could both about the condition, and also about each drug used. Methylphendiate, while similar to cocaine in chemical structure end there for the most part. This is due in part to the way each drug is absorbed into the brain. Cocaine is immediately absorbed into the brain which triggers the massive dopamine rush that users seek, while methylphendiate is much slower, and less pronounced not causing such a rapid dump, rather a slow and gradual effect. As far as your Dr. and yourself linking methamphetamine and Ritalin together, there is no possible way because they are two completely different chemicals. I take adderall, which is amphetamine and forms the base and backbone of methamphetamine, notice the amphetamine after meth? The meth in methamphetamine simply refers to the methyl group or addition to amphetamines chemical structure, which alters its interaction with the body. Your Dr. should also understand that methamphetamine is a real prescription medication for ADD, and not to be confused with the street illegal substance. Methamp is used under the Desoxyn brand name, and generic is methamphetamine HCI made by Mylan recently.

1 mg methylphenidate = 0.5 mg D-amphetamine = 0.5 - 0.75 mg Adderall

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry, alcohol is a solution.
The Following User Says Thank You to dbellca82 For This Useful Post:
Possum (09-06-10)
Old 09-06-10, 06:12 PM
ADDvanced Member

JenSMP has a spectacular aura aboutJenSMP has a spectacular aura about

I've found Concerta and short acting methlyphenidate to improve my short term memory, not make it worse. I'm not a doctor, obviously, but I think Ritalin will help whether your symptoms are related to ADD, head injury, or drug-induced cognitive impairment. However, I do not know about prescribing restrictions due to past drug abuse. I guess Ritalin has the potential for abuse, so I could see a doctor's concern in prescribing it to a person with past drug addiction problems. I don't think it is known to make memory worse, however, and that is certainly not my experience.

Do you take an antidepressant? You probably already know this, but that can definitely cause decreased libido. If you know for sure it's not that or that it's not medication related, you might want to get your hormone levels checked. I recently did that, and my testosterone level was extremely low. Females, obviously, do not have the same testosterone levels as men, but we do have it. If it's low, you'll have decreased energy and low libido. On another side note, my estrogen level was low as well which can significantly affect concentration, memory, and focus.

Good luck, and I hope you are able to get the help you need. Keep us posted.
Old 09-08-10, 10:53 PM
Jr Member

Thank you for all your responses, they have been very helpful.

I have never had any head injury so I am almost certain that the cognitive issues are stemmed from my drug/alcohol use.

My doctor has switched me over from Wellbutrin SR 200mg/day to Wellbutrin XL 300mg/day cause the SR didnt work for me but the XL is highly rated. They are both antidepressants and supposed to increase libido. I heard that the dangers with antidepressants is that because they produce artificial serotonin, the brain would in turn stop producing real serotonin because it thinks there are enough and in some cases, even when the person gets off the antidepressant, their brain is not able to produce anymore serotonin even though there is a deficiency, so the person is not able to be happy again. Not sure if that is true.

I am going to give the Wellbutrin XL a try for about a month and if it does not work for me, I feel more confident now about going on a stimulant, maybe not ritalin tho because of the effects on libido.

I was also prescribed Buspirone to aid in my libido deficiency even though it is more commonly given for anxiety. I would definitely like to inquire about getting my hormone levels checked as well.