ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-10, 12:13 AM
Contributor

Princess Moon is a glorious beacon of lightPrincess Moon is a glorious beacon of lightPrincess Moon is a glorious beacon of lightPrincess Moon is a glorious beacon of lightPrincess Moon is a glorious beacon of light
Disorganized papers

I find that my papers get so disorganized. They get thrown all over the place with stuff on them. If someone gives me a paper or card with informaiton on it, I lose it so quickly. It just seems impossible to organize papers. How do those normal people do it?
Old 09-04-10, 01:11 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,171 Times in 1,053 Posts
βĩο₱Ħعℓĩᶏ has disabled reputation
Re: Disorganized papers

I will take pictures of the information with my phone. Lists, products, business cards, numbers, etc. Papers that I know get lost in the wad of crap in my pants.
Old 09-04-10, 01:24 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,013 Times in 508 Posts
chartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant future

How do "normal" people do it? No idea.

Well, that's not true. I think they just put things where they are "supposed" to go. Like, they take the mail out of the box and put the bills in the bill pile. or if someone gives them a piece of paper with their address, they either immediately write the address in their address book, or they at the very least put the piece of paper in the back of the address book.

But of course folks like us tend to take the bills and shove them into our bag and then forget about them (until the bag becomes so heavy the strap breaks) or throw the bills, along with all the other mail, into a pile of undifferentiated stuff that we will sort through tomorrow or on the weekend or maybe when we take a week off next month. And the piece of paper with the address is put, well, anywhere we can think of, because we don't actually have a place to keep addresses, unless you want to count the 1998, 2004 and 2007 organizers we were given for Christmas that we never wrote a single word in and that are currently sprouting mold in the bottom of our filing cabinet (said filing cabinet having proving to be a huge disappointment in its overall effect on our level of organization).

But here's the good news...I doubt you really lose the pieces of paper you're talking about. It's a little know fact that if you never throw anything out, you can never actually "lose" anything, at least not in the permanent sense. You may not know where it is for awhile, but you know it is SOMEWHERE.

Case in point: I've been going through boxes and piles and drawers in preparation for moving. I had three items that I desperately needed to find:

My Social Security card (missing for 4-6 years)

My pin # for "newly" issued debit card (missing for 3 months)

A reference number I wrote down on the back of an envelopes, said number referring to a tax lien erroneously attached to my name at one of the credit bureaus (missing for 2 years).

The final tally - I FOUND THEM ALL!!!! I was relieved, but not surprised. Why? Because I knew that each one of them had to be in one of the piles. The pieces of paper could simply not have walked off on their own; therefore, they had to be in the house.

It's not the most practical system, but as you can see it does have its benefits.

But...being completely serious...I think that the secret of "normal" people in this respect is that they don't perceive putting something in its place as a huge chore. I don't know why, but for me, putting something where it goes, as opposed to putting it somewhere, anywhere else, feels like a lot of work. Bizarrely, this is true even if it would take exactly the same number of steps, the same number of minutes, the same amount of brain power, to put that thing in the right place as compared to the wrong place. And worse, sometimes I will spend more brainpower and energy trying to figure out how to justify putting something where it doesn't belong (I'll move it as soon as I....I might want to look at it before I...I have to pee I can't think about this right now...) than would be spent just automatically putting it where it SHOULD go.

My psych once recommended a book that supposedly talked about, in his words, "letting the systems take over."

I never got around to purchasing it, and have forgotten what it's called, but I'm sure I've got the name written down around here somewhere...
βĩο₱Ħعℓĩ (09-04-10), ADHDTigger (09-05-10)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-10, 01:40 AM
Contributor

dbellca82 has a spectacular aura aboutdbellca82 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Moon View Post
I find that my papers get so disorganized. They get thrown all over the place with stuff on them. If someone gives me a paper or card with informaiton on it, I lose it so quickly. It just seems impossible to organize papers. How do those normal people do it?
"Normal People" I don't think such a person is real, but made up and only in books, and movies. All of us have issues with keeping track, and organizing things, especially us with ADD. I had to learn to develop a system to keep track, and everything in its place. Such as with papers or other items I will devote a section, or area to where they specifically go, and etc. Now, if I just throw it somewhere, or lay it down out of place which I have been known to do many many times, I find its more difficult once its started, and begins accumulated to correct. Doing small tasks such as making sure things are organized, even if only 1 or 2 things, despite how trivial it sounds actually helps from things getting out of control, or anxiety ridden in the first place.

1 mg methylphenidate = 0.5 mg D-amphetamine = 0.5 - 0.75 mg Adderall

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry, alcohol is a solution.
Old 09-04-10, 12:44 PM
Jr Member

Riddler is on a distinguished road

My wife hates it, I have piles of papers and misc things all the time. She has managed to get me to regulate it to the kitchen table but it's always present. My jeep is full of mail and stuff like that to. What's funny though is I usually know where what I'm looking for MIGHT be.
Old 09-04-10, 09:39 PM
Contributor

dbellca82 has a spectacular aura aboutdbellca82 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddler View Post
My wife hates it, I have piles of papers and misc things all the time. She has managed to get me to regulate it to the kitchen table but it's always present. My jeep is full of mail and stuff like that to. What's funny though is I usually know where what I'm looking for MIGHT be.
Funny thing is that I do all the organizing, and cleaning most of the time at my house, keeping the main house clean, and tidy. But, my personal areas that I only see ,or spend time in such as my truck, or office, I seem to neglect considerably with 2-3 years worth of mail, and other odds and ends piled up. I think it has to do with the fact, that I for some reason need to keep the house or public view areas clean, and tidy but private and personal areas I have less concern for, because I am not trying to impress, or avoid certain reactions from people and have only myself to deal with.

1 mg methylphenidate = 0.5 mg D-amphetamine = 0.5 - 0.75 mg Adderall

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry, alcohol is a solution.