ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 09-10-10, 02:18 AM
Jr Member

DJ21_89 is on a distinguished road
Adderall + Caffeine: unusual results

Hi everyone,

I was recently prescribed Adderall and it has been quite the rollercoaster of an experience so far. I have inattentive ADD with definite OCD tendencies and anxiety which I believe is a result of dealing this this sort of mental "fog" that ADD seems to put me in (just never really feel all "there" yet I always managed to excel academically so I sort of flew under the radar and was not diagnosed until just over a month ago at the age of 20.) I'm sure many of you can relate. Anyway I was initially prescribed 15MG IR 2X per day as sort of a trial and I can honestly say that the first 2 weeks on the medication were the best 2 weeks of my life! The difference was like night and day and I felt an amazing sense of mental clarity that I had never experienced in my life...literally every problem I had dealt with all these years mentally was erased (including my social anxiety tendencies.) After about 2 weeks though every once in a while I would take a dose and feel absolutely no effects. Thankfully my doctor was more than willing to raise my dosage and effectively let me experiment until I found correct dosage so I reluctanctly started taking more just to feel some therapeutic effects. Unfortunately it has come to the point where I can get a few good days out of the medication (never exceeding 45mg/day) and then it will suddenly stop working again and on the more recent downswing it put me into the most severe depression I have ever experienced (no other factors in my life at the time explained my sudden 3 day "crash.") The other day during this period when my Adderall stopped working I actually tried taking 20MG IR at once and felt absolutely NOTHING (not even improved focus, if anything more of a more pronounced mental "fog" than before!) I have tried just about everything recommended online to potentate and reduce/control tolerance with no luck: supplements (B vitamins, plenty of Magnesium, and for a short time L-Tyrosine.)

Now for my experience in combining caffeine with Adderall. Not too long ago I had taken my Adderall dose and without really thinking about it consumed a large energy drink (240ML caffeine) and suddenly found myself experiencing all the desirable effects of Adderall that I was getting initially! Extreme mental clarity, motivation and determination, great mood, and above all my social anxiety was completely eliminated! Thinking it was just a strange coincidence I tried mixing caffeine (120MG or so taken with 10MG adderall) and every time since have experienced these same effects, it really feels like a double dose or more plus a profound increase in confidence (especially in social situations.) This is despite trying a 20mg IR dose a day or two previous and feeling absolutely no effects!

Now for some questions: is it safe to continue to combine these two substances? Most literature I have read certainly does not recommend it, but its honestly the only way I have found to make my Adderall work right now (at reasonable doses.) If this isn't a safe way to go about it is there any other substance combined with Adderall that might have a similar effect? Or maybe this indicates some hormone or chemical imbalance that I could remedy by adjusting my supplement regimen? I should also mention that I have used high doses of caffeine in the past with very little, if any perceivable effects (this was before Adderall.)

Thanks!

Dan
The Following User Says Thank You to DJ21_89 For This Useful Post:
mechnik (09-11-10)
Old 09-10-10, 01:18 PM
Jr Member

Re: Adderall + Caffeine: unusual results

I would really just like to hear some input on whether it is safe to be taking caffeine along with my Adderall? The fact is this is the only way I can seem to get it to work right now at reasonably low doses. Right now I can take 10MG IR 3X per day on a non critical day and get by reasonably well (significant improvement in mood, energy/motivation and anxiety) whereas it would take 25MG IR (if not more) to get these effects without the caffeine. I have tried raising my Adderall dosage to the point where I get therapeutic effects without caffeine but every time it works well for 2 or 3 days and suddenly stops working altogether and leaves me with severe depression and absolutely no energy and motivation. Its become a vicious cycle...I get 3 days of relief followed by this crash (once this occurs I stop taking the adderall...whats the point of continuing the medication if its doing nothing but raising my tolerance further?) I'm afraid of what dosage I would end up needing just to "get by" if not taken with caffeine...I certainly do not want to be in the 100MG + per day range (I'm hoping to keep it at 30MG/day!) From what I've read memantine sounds like it will likely be the best solution for me long term, however at this point in my life I cannot afford the week or so that the body needs to adjust to memantine and just want to know if it is safe to use caffeine in the mean time?

Thanks!
Old 09-10-10, 07:54 PM
Contributor

quirkyscrawler will become famous soon enough

Hi there,

Everyone's body/brain chemistry works a little differently so I cannot say what is "safe" for you. *I* however do consume caffeine along with my Adderall...This was harder in the beginning, but as my body has gotten used to it, it isn't an issue. In fact, I need my morning cup of coffee to fully wake up (the first dose of Adderall helps me make the first "leap" of waking up, as in pulling me out of sleepiness and the sedating effects of the meds I take right before bed, but there is usually some residual grogginess that Adderall helps with). I also sometimes have an afternoon cup of coffee. Make sure if you drink coffee though, that you also drink enough water since Adderall gives you dry mouth.

Another thing my doc emphasized was consistency in dosage. I am not a medical expert, but I wonder if the variability in your dosages may be causing you to crash more than usual, or not to feel it enough on some days? Not sure...I also feel like it doesn't work enough sometimes.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to quirkyscrawler For This Useful Post:
DJ21_89 (09-12-10), mechnik (09-11-10)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-10, 01:43 AM

jays is on a distinguished road

I do not do well with caffeine or sugar in anything. I just learned today after talking to my doctor.

What energy drink did you try?
Old 09-11-10, 01:48 AM
Contributor

mechnik has disabled reputation

My response to Adderall has been similar to that described here. I still haven't figured out if there is one dose that 'works'. The effects have been very inconsistent, great for a few days, then nothing or worse, pronounced side effects.
Drinking coffee in addition to Adderall produced very unpleasant physical effects and anxiety. In contrast, drinking green felt great. I think I will try green tea again.
Old 09-11-10, 08:12 AM
Jr Member

The energy drink I consumed was Monster energy lo-carb (full 24 fl OZ consumed during a long drive...at 10MG/OZ of caffeine I had 240 MG in me) and not even thinking about it I took my Adderall dose right after and got all the positive effects from Adderall I expereinced the first few times I ever took it and then some (most notably the extreme anti anxiety effect!) This drink contains an "energy blend" of supplements (L-Carnitine, Glucose, Caffeine, Guarana, Inositol, Glucuronolactone, and Maltodextrin) so initially I thought these other ingredients may have played a factor but I later tried my regular dose with just a split caffeine pill and got the same results. In fact just yesterday I took a 25MG dose dose of Adderall IR (much higher than my usual) and felt very little (I waited an hour and a half to analyze the effects) UNTIL I added caffeine. Strange, it seems it has the exact opposite effect on me than most people. In fact after starting the caffeine there is a noticeable calming effect and remarkable increase in mental clarity. Thanks for the input everyone, I will continue this regimen until I find a better solution!

Dan
Old 09-11-10, 08:42 AM
Contributor

insight needed is a splendid one to beholdinsight needed is a splendid one to beholdinsight needed is a splendid one to beholdinsight needed is a splendid one to beholdinsight needed is a splendid one to beholdinsight needed is a splendid one to beholdinsight needed is a splendid one to beholdinsight needed is a splendid one to behold

DJ, are you able to sleep using your caffeine/Adderall regimen? Hopefully you are--because long-term lack of sleep can be detrimental to your life/health in general.
Old 09-11-10, 08:43 AM
Jr Member

No problems with sleep whatsoever! Thanks!
Old 09-11-10, 12:40 PM

Thanked 17,448 Times in 7,287 Posts
Amtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond repute

Adderall and Caffeine are both stimulants, but they affect different areas of the brain. If you have a positive or negative effect, it's probably your particular reaction, because there's no absolute for everybody when the two are combined.

However, it could be a problem with varying the dose regularly, it could be that you're taking a generic and should take brand name (or a different generic) or vice-versa, or it could be that you would simply do better with a different variety of amphetamine-based stimulant like Vyvanse. Or. . .it could mean that you'd get a better effect from methylphenidate!

Essentially, if you get a good effect from one class of stimulants, but that particular one has more drawbacks than benefits, you tell the doctor, and try different doses or different formulations. If the benefits are minimal, or the side effects negate the benefits, you change to a different medication.

There's no magic pill that works for everyone, and currently there are no tests to determine absolutely what would be best for an individual. The process of trial and error can be frustrating, but it's a necessary evil.

What you can do until your next appointment, though, is keep an hourly log of when you took your pills, when you ate or drank something high in sugar or caffeine (or something acidic - stay away from citrus!) and how you felt in mood and focus. That will help you and your doctor see if there's a pattern.
The Following User Says Thank You to Amtram For This Useful Post:
DJ21_89 (09-12-10)
Old 09-11-10, 01:20 PM
Jr Member

I have been very thorough as far as recording exactly when I take my Adderall and dosage as well as making notes on mood, physical activity, etc. I have also always been careful to not eat anything within 45 minutes (usually an hour or more.) Time and time again I get very little effects from either Adderall or Caffeine alone, yet when I combine them (even in much lower dosages than if I were taking them separately) I get perfect results with no negative side effects every time. If I take Adderall alone and don't feel it working after an hour or so I can consume caffeine and the problem is quickly solved. Based on these results does anyone on here have any idea what medication might work better for me?

Thanks!
Old 09-11-10, 01:22 PM
Jr Member

I have been very thorough as far as recording exactly when I take my Adderall and dosage as well as making notes on mood, physical activity, etc. I have also always been careful to not eat anything within 45 minutes (usually an hour or more.) Time and time again I get very little effects from either Adderall or Caffeine alone, yet when I combine them (even in much lower dosages than if I were taking them separately) I get perfect results with no negative side effects every time. If I take Adderall alone and don't feel it working after an hour or so I can consume caffeine and the problem is quickly solved. Based on these results does anyone on here have any idea what medication might work better for me? I will consult my physician about these results, but I'm not sure he would have any idea what may work better as he is not a psychiatrist.

Thanks!
Old 09-11-10, 02:12 PM
Contributor

dally is a name known to alldally is a name known to alldally is a name known to alldally is a name known to alldally is a name known to alldally is a name known to all

If a low dose of Adderal plus some caffeine works well for you, why change it? Caffeine is used to boost the effectiveness of many medications (eg. aspirin, Tylenol) and is used in others to reduce sleepiness as a side effect (eg. antihistamines). However, I would suggest you experiment with finding the lowest dose of caffeine that will stimulate the Adderal, and talk to your doctor about how much you are using and the long-term effects of using it that way. Also, be aware that there are some antidepressants that block the metabolism of caffeine and therefore increase the effect by about 5x.

Have you tried using an extended release form of Adderal?
Every summer sun, Every winter evening, Every spring to come, Every autumn leaving, You don't need a reason. Let it all go on and on.
--Roma Ryan
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dally For This Useful Post:
DJ21_89 (09-12-10), mechnik (09-11-10)
Old 09-12-10, 05:02 PM
Contributor

Alex9 is just really niceAlex9 is just really niceAlex9 is just really niceAlex9 is just really nice

Personally ive found that caffeine with adderall or vyvanse makes the medication slightly more effective, but with the cost of extreme anxiety.

That being said, if you can drink caffeine without having any side effects, i dont see anything wrong with doing so. The only thing you might want to worry about is possible long term effects of using caffeine with adderall. I suggest that you talk to your doctor about this.
Old 09-16-10, 01:12 PM

scatteredmind is on a distinguished road

I used to start my work day with my adderall and coffee shortly after. This seemed to give me great focus and energy.

However, I did read somewhere that caffeine will fill up some of the receptors which the Adderall takes effect on. If you take the adderall then try and drink coffee or your energy drink an hour later, you will probably feel that you do not need to drink as much. I know I am good after a couple sips of coffee typically.

Combining the two may give you a short term energy boost, but then you will be dependent on that extra energy. Adderall CAN give you a little more energy, but the mental focusing part of it is the main factor. I like the occasional Monster, but having those a few times a week can lead to long-term health problems with or without adderall. Just like everything, experiment in moderation and see what works best for YOU.