ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-10, 05:18 PM

Rosebudteg is on a distinguished road
Are people with ADD smarter than others?

Here's my thinking.

Awhile back my wife and I were talking about thinking. I don't even remember what we were talking about, but it came up that my wife doesn't think constantly.

What I mean is that I can't easily stop thinking. My mind is always running and thinking about something. In fact, if I wake up in the middle of the night for whatever reason, I have to actively avoid thinking so as to not STAY up the rest of the night.

My wife tells me that she can just stare out the window of the car (while riding as passenger, of course) and not think about anything.

Whoa...

I couldn't imagine what that would be like.

But, we learn from http://www.fi.edu/learn/brain/exercise.html the Franklin Institute (and other sources) that by thinking, we create new neuron connections in our brains.

I noticed this in my daughter who is smarter than other children her age. But teachers have a hard time noticing this as she's bouncing off the walls in the classroom. After observing that, I realized that I had the same exact issue when I was a kid.

So, does ADD actually make you smarter?

I propose yes.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rosebudteg For This Useful Post:
haikuist (09-17-10)
Old 09-17-10, 05:22 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,801 Times in 1,750 Posts
EshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant future
Re: Are people with ADD smarter than others?

I propose yes at the risk of the wrath of Wife w/o ADD. I think you are smarter if you can come up with more interesting solutions to common problems. This I constantly do. It is like I have a brain for perfecting things.

peripatetic is nuts and I'm the squirrel.
The Following User Says Thank You to EshkaronsEngine For This Useful Post:
ADXP (09-18-10)
Old 09-17-10, 05:47 PM

Thanked 10,265 Times in 3,244 Posts
Dizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond repute

Those with ADHD span the entire range of IQ. You can be a genius with ADHD and you can be MR with ADHD.

The research generally indicates that the primary impact is that, with years of not keeping up in school, ADHD may result in a lower score on an IQ test. The question of your "real" IQ, whatever that is, is probably not lowered but that is simply my thought.

I would have to say then that that ADHD does not make you smarter. It does not make you less smart either. What it can do, and it is well documented, is to make it more difficult to use the cognitive abilities you do have.

Keep in mind that ADHD is an output disorder, not an input one. It causes difficulties in using what you know. Another way of putting it is that ADHD'ers know what to do, it is doing what they know that causes them problems.

Good question.

Dizfriz
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Dizfriz For This Useful Post:
AbsentMindProf (11-29-10), ADHDTigger (09-17-10), ADXP (09-18-10), Amtram (11-27-10), dally (09-17-10), danelady (11-26-10), ginniebean (09-17-10), haikuist (09-17-10), keliza (06-25-12), Lunacie (11-28-10), Marspider (09-17-10), metzfanaz (11-26-10), Oeshi823 (11-28-10), Scooter77 (09-18-10), Trooper Keith (11-26-10)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-10, 06:43 PM
Jr Member

haikuist is on a distinguished road

Rosebudteg,

My girlfriend and I have had almost the same conversation, because I'm always thinking, and she says she can just sit there and not think of anything. I still don't know how she could do that.

She thinks I'm really smart, and I know I'm on the upper end of the IQ scale, but I've never been able to pinpoint cause and effect, or which is which. My father (professionally qualified as a teacher) had to help me learn to read and write from ages 5-8, and I had to figure out work-arounds for my difficulty with words.

My girlfriend, who is an educational counselor, has suggested the ADHD may have helped me figure more creative solutions to my problems. Which could be true, but maybe my natural intelligence was the reason I was capable of finding so many creative solutions. I've heard different opinions from people smarter than me, and I still don't know came first.

Incidentally, my girlfriend thinks I'm smarter than her because of the range of ideas I have, while I think she's smarter than me because of the simple fact that she's more practically functional in day-to-day responsibilities. I think there's great value in both ways of operating, but I tend to be more fascinated by what I don't know.
Old 09-17-10, 06:49 PM
Moderately Neato

Thanked 2,647 Times in 1,428 Posts
spunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EshkaronsEngine View Post
I propose yes at the risk of the wrath of Wife w/o ADD. I think you are smarter if you can come up with more interesting solutions to common problems. This I constantly do. It is like I have a brain for perfecting things.
I hear you on that. I catch myself laboring the unconscious assumption most of the time that ADDers are brighter. I guess it's because most of the people I know with it DO have a one kind or another of intelligence that "normal" people seem lacking in...or at the very least that they are more in tune with than "normal" people.

Logically speaking, it would seem to me that it's not for nothing that the traits of the ADHD mind are sometimes so hard to distinguish from the traits of the highly gifted mind, to the point that the gifted AD/HDer who has both, can't be too sure him or herself which of his characteristics come from which category; or even to the point where giftedness can be completely mistaken for AD/HD in gifted folks who may not even have AD/HD.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to spunkysmum For This Useful Post:
ADDisme2010 (09-18-10), EshkaronsEngine (09-17-10), haikuist (09-17-10)
Old 09-17-10, 07:32 PM
Contributor

dally is a name known to alldally is a name known to alldally is a name known to alldally is a name known to alldally is a name known to alldally is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebudteg View Post
What I mean is that I can't easily stop thinking. My mind is always running and thinking about something.

My wife tells me that she can just stare out the window of the car (while riding as passenger, of course) and not think about anything.
I couldn't imagine what that would be like.

But, we learn from http://www.fi.edu/learn/brain/exercise.html the Franklin Institute (and other sources) that by thinking, we create new neuron connections in our brains.

So, does ADD actually make you smarter?
I propose yes.

What do you mean by "smart"? Do we count the number of connections between neurons at any given moment to measure "smartness"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EshkaronsEngine View Post
Eshkaron, you are constantly assuming that if you do it, then all AD/HDers do it. So you're good at creative problem solving. What's that got to do with AD/HD? Lots of people are good at coming up with creative and interesting solutions to problems. There is no correlation between the two that has ever been documented.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haikuist View Post
Incidentally, my girlfriend thinks I'm smarter than her because of the range of ideas I have, while I think she's smarter than me because of the simple fact that she's more practically functional in day-to-day responsibilities. I think there's great value in both ways of operating, but I tend to be more fascinated by what I don't know.
Again, if you are really going to consider this question you have to define "smart." It seems to be a synonym for "intelligent" the way it is generally used. But the way most people use the word "intelligent" and the way psychologists use it are quite different. Most people think in terms of IQ, or some general level of cognitive ability, and use academic achievement to "prove" it. Howard Gardner revolutionized the discussion of intelligence when he published "Multiple Intelligences" in 1983. He suggests that there is no overall intelligence, but rather nine intelligences that we all have to varying degrees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunkysmum View Post
I hear you on that. I catch myself laboring the unconscious assumption most of the time that ADDers are brighter. I guess it's because most of the people I know with it DO have a one kind or another of intelligence that "normal" people seem lacking in...or at the very least that they are more in tune with than "normal" people.

Logically speaking, it would seem to me that it's not for nothing that the traits of the ADHD mind are sometimes so hard to distinguish from the traits of the highly gifted mind, to the point that the gifted AD/HDer who has both, can't be too sure him or herself which of his characteristics come from which category; or even to the point where giftedness can be completely mistaken for AD/HD in gifted folks who may not even have AD/HD.
Of course, it is equally logical to say that the traits of the AD/HD mind are very hard to distinguish from the traits of the developmentally delayed brain, the learning disabled brain, the depressed and anxious brain, and the sleep deprived brain. Please keep in mind that "most of the people I know" is not a representative sample!
Every summer sun, Every winter evening, Every spring to come, Every autumn leaving, You don't need a reason. Let it all go on and on.
--Roma Ryan
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dally For This Useful Post:
Amtram (11-27-10), Dizfriz (11-27-10)
Old 09-17-10, 08:39 PM
Moderately Neato

Thanked 2,647 Times in 1,428 Posts
spunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dally View Post

Please keep in mind that "most of the people I know" is not a representative sample!
I think I did have that in mind, since it's pretty much exactly what I was saying.
Old 09-17-10, 08:48 PM

adwithouthd will become famous soon enough

The brains are functioning differently. ADHD consciousness, or the part they usually use, is residing in the middle-to-back. I suspect NT consciousness, or the part that they usually, or by default, use, resides in the front.
Old 09-17-10, 08:54 PM

Thanked 2,801 Times in 1,750 Posts
EshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant future

You're right dally. I do make an *** outta myself. I just want to share things with others and sometimes I generalize. Thanks for picking that one up.

peripatetic is nuts and I'm the squirrel.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to EshkaronsEngine For This Useful Post:
dally (09-17-10), Dizfriz (09-17-10), ginniebean (09-18-10), Imnapl (09-22-10), meadd823 (09-18-10), Scooter77 (09-18-10)
Old 09-18-10, 01:26 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

chamaleon has a spectacular aura aboutchamaleon has a spectacular aura about

i think yeh. Im never stuck for words and although i am a writer, my boss says i'd be a great radio broadcaster. People say I am very funny and i suppose that requires creativity. They say that its really hilarious (does not mean i am happy). I find compliments embarassing but yeh can think of a witty comment extremely fast.
Old 09-18-10, 01:42 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

ADDisme2010 is just really niceADDisme2010 is just really niceADDisme2010 is just really niceADDisme2010 is just really nice

I'm not sure I would say smarter, but thinking outside of the box~for sure
Old 09-18-10, 03:33 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Scooter77 has much to be proud ofScooter77 has much to be proud ofScooter77 has much to be proud ofScooter77 has much to be proud ofScooter77 has much to be proud ofScooter77 has much to be proud ofScooter77 has much to be proud ofScooter77 has much to be proud ofScooter77 has much to be proud of

I'm gonna say yeah just purely because I'd like to think I'm smarter!

I keep telling people, it's cheaper and easier to medicate me so I can slow down, than it is to medicate the rest of the world so they can catch up!!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Scooter77 For This Useful Post:
Dizfriz (09-18-10), la girl (11-28-10), meadd823 (09-18-10)
Old 09-18-10, 04:16 AM
Super Meowaderator

Thanked 14,577 Times in 5,766 Posts
meadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh how I wish being ADD and dyslexic made me a genius but mostly they just mean I can not sit still or spell worth a crap. . ..

I do not think we are smarter or dumber I simply think we are different - as far as IQ test they only show how well we take IQ test -

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to meadd823 For This Useful Post:
Brian+or-.005 (11-28-10), la girl (11-28-10)
Old 11-26-10, 11:15 PM

frank-e is on a distinguished road

Both my brother and i have ADHD, im smart he's slow. ADHD has caused success in my life, and so many problems in my brothers.
i think if you're "born" smart, then ADHD makes you smarter than you would of been if you were "normal".
If you're "born" slow, then ADHD makes you slower than you would of been if you were "normal".
Old 11-26-10, 11:19 PM

Thanked 3,312 Times in 1,326 Posts
Trooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond repute

Everyone read Dizfriz's post then ignore the rest of the thread and don't post in it.

Don't read this post either.
Dizfriz (11-27-10)