ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Ritalin
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Ritalin (methylphenidate)

Old 09-21-10, 01:54 PM
Jr Member

OneCrazyMamaof4 is on a distinguished road
Question 120mg of Ritalin?!?!?!?

I went to my psych today because I needed a change in meds. I was previously taking 36 mg of Concerta 2x/day (once at 7am and again at 1230pm) with a booster dose of 20 mg ritalin at 4pm, but I only took my booster on days that I had night classes.

For the past 30-45 days it hasn't been working. I have been in a fog. Nothing is getting accomplished at home, or with my school work and even though my husband is trying to be understanding he is obviously getting annoyed * I mean really... what kind of SAHM/wife FORGETS to make dinner????*

I went in today and while talking to the doctor he asked me the 'basic' questions, and i gave him my answers. I told him about what I was feeling and going through etc and he said we have 3 options. 1)increase your dosage of the concerta 2)try a different med or 3) stop all meds and see how that works for you....

Well I didn't really like option 1, especially since Concerta is fairly expensive for me each month and I definately did not like option 3... I really wanted option 2. So what does he change my meds to?? Straight Ritalin, and not only just ritalin but 120mg/day of ritalin.

I can not even imagine how this is going to work... I will NEVER sleep and if this fog doesn't life soon I am going to have bigger problems such as failing out of school and a husband who can only take so much as well as 4 children who are suffering because mommy is a zombie.

Has ANYONE ever been prescribed this much rit??? Did it actually work?
"Motherhood brings as much joy as ever, but it still brings boredom, exhaustion, and sorrow too. Nothing else ever will make you as happy or as sad, as proud or as tired, for nothing is quite as hard as helping a person develop his own individuality especially while you struggle to keep your own." --Marguerite Kelly and Elia Parsons
Old 09-21-10, 03:28 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

hollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nice
Re: 120mg of Ritalin?!?!?!?

I think its alot more common than you think for people that have been on this med for years. I've been on ritalin for like 14 years. I take concerta 126, it's actually like 27mg dosed continuously throughout the day. Honestly though if you understand concerta and drugs you know that you don't get that much of the med in your system after it hits your gut who knows how much you get. Anyways , I would probably give it a shot or try another med. Sure higher dosing seems odd and it may make you feel like a failure that your dose is escalating but if your current dose isn't working and you have been on the med for years it's likely acute tolerance. You can try adderall and see how that works.
Old 09-21-10, 04:36 PM
Jr Member

thanks! I am more frustrated than anything because I went to the doc asking for a different type of med all together. I do not like the way that ritalin makes me feel etc. BUt for some reason my doctor is almost refusing to let me switch to some other medication.... I just don't get it.

This whole Ritalin thing is like a cycle for me, it works, I have to switch and then I can go back to it, but this time it isn't really working etc. Who knows.
"Motherhood brings as much joy as ever, but it still brings boredom, exhaustion, and sorrow too. Nothing else ever will make you as happy or as sad, as proud or as tired, for nothing is quite as hard as helping a person develop his own individuality especially while you struggle to keep your own." --Marguerite Kelly and Elia Parsons
Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-10, 04:46 PM

hollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nice

Seems like your really stressed too, it's probably a combination of the two. First off once you get used to ritalin at times you will not feel that get up and go part of the medication. Alot ot times people with adhd need that kick to get up and get going though, so it may be a combination of the two working together. Sure, I don't really like ritalin either, but it's the only thing that allows me to focus. First you need to relax, you will not get anywhere in an adhd state of self awareness. Trust me I know. You may need a med to help with this then you will be able to more accurately acess your situation and acute tolerance. If you have to go up , then so be it, ritalin and high doses with adults for those on the med longterm is common.
Old 09-21-10, 05:55 PM
supermoderator

Thanked 22,698 Times in 10,204 Posts
peripatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneCrazyMamaof4 View Post
Has ANYONE ever been prescribed this much rit??? Did it actually work?
yes. for nearly 20 years i've been prescribed more than that, actually. it's the sole medication that reins in the hyper/impulsive half of my symptoms, but it's not the only adhd medication i take.

best of luck to you with your treatment
The Following User Says Thank You to peripatetic For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (09-21-10)
Old 09-22-10, 03:07 PM
Jr Member

Well after 24 hours on the medication ( a full days worth of meds at this dose) I can honestly say I am no where...

The only thing I was able to concentrate on yesterday was the distractions (clock ticking, noises the kids were making etc), I had a raging headache that hit me about 3 pm, and the last time I remember looking at the clock this morning it said 3:30am and when I woke up this morning at 6:30 (yep... you read that right a whopping 3 hours of sleep maybe) I still had my raging headache which I still have.

Hollywood mentioned I need to relax... that would be awesome .... sadly I don't have time to do that... lol. I don't quite know what you mean when you say I may need a med to help with that??? Could you explain please?

I was able to finally work of the nerve to email all my professors for my college courses and tell them what is going on, hopefully they will be understanding and at least be willing to work with me on some of the items that I have forgotten etc. But only time will tell.... I just need to get all of this under control and soon.
Old 09-22-10, 09:46 PM

Thanked 2,079 Times in 1,185 Posts
StoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant future

Maybe you need a lower dose or switch to another medication.

I personally think the 120mgs is a lot. You could ask your doctor if there's a possibility of switching to a medication that isn't Methylphenidate (Concerta/Ritalin).

Dx: Adhd Combined type, Asperger's Syndrome, Mathematics Disability (10/4/10)..Panic Disorder, Atypical Depression, And Multiple Phobias.
Rx: Dexedrine IR 2.5-5 mg PRN (starting on 1/21/12).
Past meds: Namenda, Focalin IR, Ritalin IR, Adderall IR, D-Amp IR, Nicotine/Swedish Snus.
Boycott Teva/Barr, CorePharma, Mallinckrodt (Methylin)

REST IN PEACE
Old 09-22-10, 11:09 PM

Thanked 4,965 Times in 2,419 Posts
livinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond repute

i don't understand why your doc thought it would be good to start your Ritalin dose at 120mgs. It's better to titrate up to your optimal dose to decrease side effects. this is a great explanation of titrating up
Does your doc specialize in ADHD?

Leonard: “You’re using chocolates as positive reinforcement for what you consider good behavior!”
Sheldon: “Very good! Chocolate?”
-The Big Bang Theory (sitcom on CBS)
Old 09-22-10, 11:49 PM

Thanked 2,053 Times in 1,352 Posts
Peripheral has disabled reputation

I take 120 mg of SR methylphenidate, 60 mg every 8 hours.

So it is possible,

When using "regular" 10 mg methylphenidate , I use 10 mg every 2.75 hours or so. (about 60 to 80 mg)

For me 20 mg SR methylphenidate is about equal in effects as 10 mg methylphenidate.

20mg(SR)=10mg

I find the ups and downs less with SR but not as much focus for things like reading.

But the SR has less ups and downs.

I am a patient and not a doctor.

I had problems sleeping with 10 mg,

but no problems sleeping with 20 mg SR.(If I take medication at 5 am and again at 1 pm. I can sleep by 9-10 pm.

I am a patient and not a doctor.

Although I can sleep when taking the medication.

If I'm tired.

One of my doctors told me stop if I didn't feel like things where not right.

When I first started taking the medication.

But for me the benefits outweigh any negative effects.

Actually the only negative effect it has on me now is when I forget to take the medication.

Geronimoo
The Following User Says Thank You to Peripheral For This Useful Post:
peripatetic (09-23-10)
Old 09-23-10, 11:54 AM

that micro dosing schedule sounds accurate. I have found that intuniv helps with ritalin to curb distractions. There is a adjustment period though, if you don't get sedation then it works well together. Basically negates some of the stimulant non wanted side effects without dropping needed dopamine levels. I kept trying to augment with an ssri , I would find a mood benefit and it helped with physical symptoms of stimulants but I kept messing up at work.
Old 09-23-10, 02:02 PM
Jr Member

The reason my dose is so high, according to when I asked the nurse is because previously I was taking 36 mg of Concerta twice a day with a booster of 20mg of rit in the afternoon, so that basically comes out to 92 mg of the medication so 120 mg isn't really that big of a jump etc, but it is just frustrating that nothing has changed except now I have a raging head ache and can NOT sleep.... didn't fall asleep until after at least 2 am this morning

I just wondering how long I should wait before I call my doc's nurse
Old 09-23-10, 02:51 PM

from the ritalin or sinus? Yeah ritalin works better than concerta.
Old 09-23-10, 02:57 PM
Jr Member

Its has to be from the ritalin... I am not having any type of sinus troubles etc.
Old 09-23-10, 03:31 PM

Thanked 4,965 Times in 2,419 Posts
livinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneCrazyMamaof4 View Post
The reason my dose is so high, according to when I asked the nurse is because previously I was taking 36 mg of Concerta twice a day with a booster of 20mg of rit in the afternoon, so that basically comes out to 92 mg of the medication so 120 mg isn't really that big of a jump etc, but it is just frustrating that nothing has changed except now I have a raging head ache and can NOT sleep.... didn't fall asleep until after at least 2 am this morning

I just wondering how long I should wait before I call my doc's nurse
I get that, but I hate it when docs do that. Just because you're on a certain dose on Concerta, doesn't mean that the comparable dose on Ritalin will be your optimal dose.
They're different meds, work different ways. It frustrates me so much when docs don't titrate. If you did, you likely won't be having the issues you are having.

Leonard: “You’re using chocolates as positive reinforcement for what you consider good behavior!”
Sheldon: “Very good! Chocolate?”
-The Big Bang Theory (sitcom on CBS)
Old 09-23-10, 04:09 PM

Well yeah , now you know that ritalin works and concerta doesn't even hold a candle to ritalin dose per dose. What's the issue? Are you getting side effects? Is it helping