ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > Children's Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Children's Diagnosis & Treatment This forums is for parents to discuss issues related to diagnosis and treament of children with AD/HD

Old 09-21-10, 02:32 PM
Forum Guru

MuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud of
"A Controlled Trial of Herbal Treatment for ADHD"

Did anyone see this? It first came in an Attention Research Update email. I find it very interesting.

http://www.sharpbrains.com/blog/2010...ment-for-adhd/

The actual product used was www.adhd-clarity.com. It is 'traditional chinese medicine'. The fact that it was actually validated in a clinical trial was surprising to me as I am not a particular fan of many of these 'natural' products claiming to tread adhd with no proof.

Any thoughts?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MuscleMama For This Useful Post:
Dizfriz (09-22-10), LIL'S MOM (10-19-15)
Old 09-21-10, 03:00 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,312 Times in 2,016 Posts
LynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond repute
Re: "A Controlled Trail of Herbal Treatment for ADHD"

Wow, very interesting! Here's a link to the actual study, if anyone cares to read it. The improvement was statistically very significant in the treatment group.
http://www.pharmaguri.co.il/_Uploads/dbsForms/CHP.doc
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LynneC For This Useful Post:
Dizfriz (09-22-10), Imnapl (09-23-10)
Old 09-21-10, 03:05 PM
Forum Guru

MuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud of

Cool, I'll check that out.

PS - Just noticed I typed "trail" instead of trial - can a mod fix that? Thx
The Following User Says Thank You to MuscleMama For This Useful Post:
Dizfriz (09-22-10)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-10, 07:31 AM
ADDvanced Member

Sam I Am is just really niceSam I Am is just really niceSam I Am is just really niceSam I Am is just really nice

It all sounds and looks good.
But I'm a born skeptic!

If anyone comes across any supporting or counter-argument information, I'd like to read it.

Thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to Sam I Am For This Useful Post:
Dizfriz (09-22-10)
Old 09-22-10, 08:55 AM

LynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond repute

There are definately some drawbacks to the trial, the biggest one IMO is that it was administered by the people who sell this natural product. That being said, it still looks interesting. I have sent them an email to see if they are marketing the product in the States. (they are in Israel)
Old 09-22-10, 09:05 AM
ADDvanced Member

Sam I Am is just really niceSam I Am is just really niceSam I Am is just really niceSam I Am is just really nice

No prices on the website either, that I can see.

Would have been interesting to have another group receiving stimulants too.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sam I Am For This Useful Post:
ADDisme2010 (09-23-10), Dizfriz (09-22-10), Imnapl (09-23-10)
Old 09-22-10, 09:15 AM
Forum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynneC View Post
There are definately some drawbacks to the trial, the biggest one IMO is that it was administered by the people who sell this natural product. That being said, it still looks interesting. I have sent them an email to see if they are marketing the product in the States. (they are in Israel)
I didn't get that from the article, but certainly may have not understood. Here's what it said:

"This idea was tested recently in a randomized-controlled trial of a spe­cific CHP for chil­dren with ADHD [Katz, Kol-Degani, & Kav-Venaki (2010). A com­pound herbal prepa­ra­tion (CHP) in the treat­ment of ADHD: A ran­dom­ized con­trolled trial. Jour­nal of Atten­tion Dis­or­ders. Pub­lished online on March 12, 2010.] Par­tic­i­pants were 120 6–12 year-old chil­dren newly diag­nosed with ADHD based on a com­pre­hen­sive diag­nos­tic eval­u­a­tion. These chil­dren were all eval­u­ated at the Sheba Med­ical Cen­ter, one of the largest university-affiliated ter­tiary care cen­ters in Israel."

Here's what it said on the product website, which I thought was different until just now:

"The effectiveness of treatment with Nurture & Clarity® and Nurture & Clarity-H® formulas has been validated in a scientific clinical trial conducted at the Paediatric ADHD and Adaptation Clinic of the Sheba Medical Centre in Israel, headed by Dr. Miri Katz, a paediatric psychiatrist."

"The article summarizing the scientific clinical trial will be published on this web site following its publication in a scientific journal in the near future."

If it's the same trial then I'm confused because the descriptions of how they tested seem different.

EDIT: re-reading the first article, I guess I'm a dum-dum
Old 09-22-10, 10:19 AM

Kol-Degani, & Kav-Venaki are promoting and selling this herbal treatment from the website you (Musclemama) linked to. If the study and results are valid, it is still very interesting. I think that the trial was run by Dr Katz, who is not affiliated with the product...
Old 09-22-10, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleMama View Post
I didn't get that from the article, but certainly may have not understood. Here's what it said:

"This idea was tested recently in a randomized-controlled trial of a spe­cific CHP for chil­dren with ADHD [Katz, Kol-Degani, & Kav-Venaki (2010). A com­pound herbal prepa­ra­tion (CHP) in the treat­ment of ADHD: A ran­dom­ized con­trolled trial. Jour­nal of Atten­tion Dis­or­ders. Pub­lished online on March 12, 2010.] Par­tic­i­pants were 120 6–12 year-old chil­dren newly diag­nosed with ADHD based on a com­pre­hen­sive diag­nos­tic eval­u­a­tion. These chil­dren were all eval­u­ated at the Sheba Med­ical Cen­ter, one of the largest university-affiliated ter­tiary care cen­ters in Israel."
David Rabiner did not mention that two of the co-authors were involved in marketing the treatment; he should have mentioned that, IMO. Anyway, it's still intriguing!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LynneC For This Useful Post:
Dizfriz (09-22-10), Imnapl (09-23-10), MuscleMama (09-22-10)
Old 09-22-10, 12:02 PM

Thanked 10,443 Times in 3,292 Posts
Dizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
"The effectiveness of treatment with Nurture & Clarity® and Nurture & Clarity-H® formulas has been validated in a scientific clinical trial conducted at the Paediatric ADHD and Adaptation Clinic of the Sheba Medical Centre in Israel, headed by Dr. Miri Katz, a paediatric psychiatrist."
Thanks for posting this, it really caught my eye.

I get real dubious when I see something like this. One study does not make for validation no matter how well it is designed. The results need to be replicated and to be trusted, replicated at least several times before it can be considered to be even starting to be validated..

At this point the study is very interesting but all you can say is that the results indicate that more research would probably be justified.

Serious smoke appears to be being blown by those selling it and caution is advised.

Dizfriz
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dizfriz For This Useful Post:
Amtram (09-24-10), Imnapl (09-23-10), LynneC (09-22-10), namazu (11-26-10), tessmesser (02-02-11)
Old 09-22-10, 06:00 PM

Thanked 1,477 Times in 780 Posts
tipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant future

I'm very sleep deprived right now so maybe the answer to this is glaringly obvious, but whats IN the herbal supplement?
The Following User Says Thank You to tipoo For This Useful Post:
meadd823 (04-11-13)
Old 09-22-10, 06:05 PM
Forum Guru

From the study article:

"Active ingre­di­ents in the CHP — brand name Nur­ture & Clar­ity — included Paeo­niae Alba, With­a­nia Som­nifera, Cen­tella Asi­at­ica, Spir­ulina Platen­sis, Bacopa Monieri, and Mel­lissa Offic­i­nalis. All raw herbs used in the prepar­ing the com­pound were approved by the Israeli Min­istry of Health as safe, food-grade herbs."

From the site:

"These formulas comprise over 20 different medicinal plants, all approved for human consumption by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA), at specific quantities and concentrations - as clinically determined to be the most effective for the vast majority of ADD and ADHD sufferers. These medicinal plants also have a beneficial influence on the level of energy, due to their contribution to the proper functioning of the endocrinologic system. The nutritional supplements included in these plants protect the membranes of the brain cells and promote proper blood circulation, helping transform the sugar found in the blood to glucose - which is energy that is available to the brain. Moreover, they help rehabilitate neurons and improve brain biochemistry."
Old 09-23-10, 08:33 AM

Re: "A Controlled Trial of Herbal Treatment for ADHD"

I'm still waiting on an email response from them, asking if they market it in the US...
Old 09-23-10, 08:32 PM
Forum Guru

I also sent them an email, here's the response I received this afternoon:

Hi, I would like to know the difference between “Nurture & Clarity” and “Nurture & Clarity-H”. I could not find that info anywhere on your website. I am considering ordering this for my older son. I also wonder if my younger son could benefit. He has not been diagnosed with ADHD (but I suspect it) because he has some neuromotor delays including visual processing, balance, motor planning, etc. which make an ADHD diagnosis too difficult right now. Is it safe to think that this formula may help him and if it doesn’t, it can’t hurt him?

Also, can you tell me your pricing.

I found out about your products through an email from Attention Research Update.

Thank you!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for your e-mail and interest in Nurture & Clarity.

Replies to your questions:

The difference between the formulas:

Nurture & Clarity® enhances concentration and the ability to organize oneself.

Nurture & Clarity-H® also enhances concentration and the ability to organize oneself, but its primary function is to alleviate hyperactivity and any of its manifestations, such as insomnia, tics, anger (at times accompanied by violent tendencies), and loss of appetite.

Both formulas provide essential vitamins, minerals and EFAs (essential fatty acids) needed for well-being and proper brain function.

With regard to your younger son:
The formula we recommend you consider for him is Nurture & Clarity (without the H). There is nothing in thisformula that can harm your son. On the contrary, as stated above, the formula contains essential nutrients that promote proper brain development and function, therefore, it may be very beneficial for him.

Regarding prices:
As we have been inundated with orders recently, we are now producing larger batches, and are recalculating prices (larger batches means lower costs per bottle, which will allow us to reduce the prices to our customers). The new, reduced prices will be posted on our web site shorty. The site is currently being updated and upgraded to facilitate placing orders online, with payment via PayPal. We will be in a position to accept new orders in about two weeks, and request your patience. We will keep your name and e-mail address on file and advise you when we reach this stage.

In the meantime, you may be interested in reading the following article:

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact me.

Best regards,
Hadassa, Tree of Healing LD

Imnapl (09-23-10), Sam I Am (09-24-10)
Old 09-24-10, 10:58 AM

Ahh, she must have been answering her emails yesterday, because I got an answer also. Essentially the same as yours (I didn't ask such good questions though!) and she also mentioned that they will be accepting PayPal at some point.

Do you think you are going to try it? I am...