ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 09-23-10, 04:58 PM
ADDvanced Member

Ky4giraffe has a spectacular aura aboutKy4giraffe has a spectacular aura about
Up the dosage myself or wait to see doctor?

Ok, I started (friday september 17) taking 20mg (2 10mg) adderall xr in the morning. I was very disappointed because I didnt feel any different. Only thing I noticed was the first day I took the adderall I got a puky feeling when I ate. I don't get this feeling and when I would get stand up I would get very dizzy. Although, I got dizzy before adderall, but it was worse.

I think the problem with that might because even before adderall I would forget to eat! I would be working on something or just online, and Id lose track of time and just not eat until dinner time with my family. Now on adderall I either don't feel hungry and feel like I'm starving.

But I it doesn't help with my inattentive ADD, I am thinking about taking 30mg (3 10mg) instead on my own or should I wait until I see my doctor and ask her (October 1)

Also, I got diagnosed by my doctor sending me to a therapist. The therapist has ADD and told me I can just take it when I need it, but my doctor told me everyday. And as I read around everything mostly says that adderall xr lasts about 4-6 hours or so, but I have school until 6:20pm so how do I make it so the effects last that long, that is if I can find a way to even feel the effects!

I was excited the day I got the pills because I thought finally I will be able to think clear and get stuff done! As you can imagine my disappointment when it did nothing to help!
Old 09-23-10, 05:10 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,096 Times in 1,196 Posts
StoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant future
Re: Up the dosage myself or wait to see doctor?

The strength of the dose won't help make the Adderall last longer.
It will only be a stronger dose.

I find that taking Instant Release medication (tablets) every 3-4 hours is a lot more reliable and predicable when the effects come and go.

It seems that maybe your dose is too high, since it's making you feel dizzy.

Ask your doctor if he can prescribe tablets instead with a lower dose. Sandoz generic Adderall is the best.

Dx: Adhd Combined type, Asperger's Syndrome, Mathematics Disability (10/4/10)..Panic Disorder, Atypical Depression, Agoraphobia, paranoia.
Rx: Dexedrine IR 2.5-5 mg PRN (starting on 1/21/12).
Past meds: Namenda, Focalin IR, Ritalin IR, Adderall IR, D-Amp IR, Nicotine/Swedish Snus.
Boycott Teva/Barr, CorePharma, Mallinckrodt (Methylin)

REST IN PEACE
The Following User Says Thank You to StoicNate For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (09-25-10)
Old 09-23-10, 06:20 PM
ADDvanced Member

But I dont know if its the adderall that is making me dizzy because I got dizzy before. It seems the dizziness isnt to noticeable today, Ive always had my dizzy moments. Naturally I have low blood pressure.
I dont really think its to high, because when I take it nothing really happens. I cant feel a real difference between me on adderall and me off adderall.
I would like to find something that works for me because it is very hard dealing with school and a taking care of a baby!
Everyone says how much adderall changed them for the better like night and day, but I get nothing out of it.
Im thinking of experimenting with it take more one day and less another to see if Im on to much or to less.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-10, 07:15 PM
ADDvanced Member

ruby-lang has a spectacular aura aboutruby-lang has a spectacular aura about

Finding the right medicine and dose frequently takes a few months. There's nothing wrong with trying different doses, but for your safety you should always discuss it with your doctor first. There are good reasons why Adderall is a controled substance.
peripatetic (09-23-10)
Old 09-23-10, 08:39 PM

StoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant future

As ruby-lang said, always consult with your doctor about your dosage.

There are a lot of people on here that switched to the tablets(IR) and it helped them a lot more that the capsules(XR).

Dx: Adhd Combined type, Asperger's Syndrome, Mathematics Disability (10/4/10)..Panic Disorder, Atypical Depression, Agoraphobia, paranoia.
Past meds: Namenda, Focalin IR, Ritalin IR, Adderall IR, D-Amp IR, Nicotine/Swedish Snus.

REST IN PEACE
Old 09-23-10, 08:54 PM

Missi will become famous soon enough

I agree with Ruby. Also, I'm perplexed why he didn't start you on ONE 10mg first. In fact, are you sure he didn't tell you to try taking one in the morning and one in the afternoon? Otherwise, wouldn't he have just prescribed 20mg capsules to begin with?

I'm Inattentive. I took 5mg IR (Immediate Release) brand name Adderall for years. I later went to generic and upped to 7.5 generic with less success. Several months ago, I was going to try XR and due to misunderstanding of how the XR releases, my pdoc and I decided on 20mg XR capsules. Once I had it filled, I got second thoughts about the high dosage and poured some out, thank goodness, because even on about 10mg XR, the dosage was too high for me. Caused speedy feelings and a massive headache.

Again, my understanding here and from linked articles is that Inattentives do not react the same as Hyperactives. We seem to require smaller doses and therefore, I'd think you need to try ONE 10mg capsule first and would highly discourage trying 30mgs in one dose as your reaction will probably be worse and most likely make you feel ill. Work up if necessary WITH your doctors input and knowledge stressing the fact you're PI, not H.
Priors- 5mg Adderall IR w/ Effexor, Cymbalta, Citalopram (g-Celexa)...
Best of times- Adderall w/Effexor
Old 09-23-10, 09:30 PM
ADDvanced Member

Ok, this may sound stupid, but PI?
She told me take 2 pills every morning. I dont know why either.
does IR last as long as XR?
Hmm well, think Ill try taking less over the weekend see if that helps and not take more unless she tells me to, I see her october 1. She didnt tell me everything really yet because she gave me the pills during my sons appointment so I didnt have one yet. I got diagnosed by a theropst who said to try RX because I go to school so late.
I dont get a speedy feeling I get no feeling. I did wake up with a headache today, but it went down a lot after taking advil and my adderall.
Old 09-23-10, 10:00 PM

Missi will become famous soon enough

Oops sorry, PI=Predominantly Inattentive

If you didn't have any more "speedy" feelings after that first day, or effects at all, then yes, perhaps you do need an increase- but, you should be able to call the doctor's office and request to speak to her nurse as the go-between to try to adjust dosage prior to your actual appt.

(I don't have enough experience with the Extended Release so the others will have to fill you in on that.)
Priors- 5mg Adderall IR w/ Effexor, Cymbalta, Citalopram (g-Celexa)...
Best of times- Adderall w/Effexor
Old 09-23-10, 10:50 PM

IR is instant release and usually lasts 3-4 hours or so. And usually you'll have to re-dose every 3-4 hours as needed or what your doctor says.

XR is just the IR packaged in a capsule to release half of the dose right away then in 3 hours it re-doses again with the other half.
It's just made so you don't have to re-dose. BUT most of the time it doesn't work too well.

IR, in my opinion is better.

REST IN PEACE
Old 09-24-10, 12:02 AM
ADDvanced Member

I didnt even get a speed like feeling the first day I didnt even feel it.
I know my therapist told me to take XR because Im extremely forgetful and most likely forget to take another pill a lot.
So if XR is the same as IR but in a capsule couldnt I just take it out of the capsule?
Hmm Id rather wait because I HATE talking on the phone especially to doctors, but on the other hand I want something that will actually help me!
Old 09-24-10, 12:13 AM

I forgot to mention that the second half of the XR are coated with a time releasing coating that releases 3 hours after even if you take it out of the capsule.

It's made that way so parents can sprinkle it on food for their children, if they don't want to swallow the whole capsule.

REST IN PEACE
Old 09-24-10, 10:29 AM
Contributor

aarondev will become famous soon enough

Can you tell us whether its the brand name or Generic? It may matter for you whether its one or the other. There is a thread on here about that, and it seems to really vary from person to person. There's a lot of information on here about different brands of Generic here and there. I think it depends on the Pharmacy you go to so its something to think about.

As for varying the dose, I would say you can without too much worry. You mentioned you normally have low BP and an overly elevated BP would be a doctor's primary concern in this case. The choice is of course yours; maybe instead you could reschedule to see your's or another doctor sooner. Because this is such a new condition for you its not as though there is some specific benefit to seeing your doctor for this (aside from rapport), so if they aren't yet available...

I haven't heard anyone else making this complaint, so they may just try to switch you to a whole other medicine. Its important you mention your lack of response to the medicine. So whomever sees you gets the full context.

Best luck!
Old 09-24-10, 05:41 PM
ADDvanced Member

I was thinking I could try one less or one more because its not gona kill me or anything right?
Um how can I tell the brand? The bottle just says adderall XR 10mg

Er I forgot to take my pills today! Not that it makes a difference, I feel the same today as I did yesterday when I took them!
Old 09-25-10, 02:00 AM

The brand and generic Adderall XR are made by the same company, believe it or not.

Next month ask your doctor about Instant Release. You might get a better reaction if you aren't getting one now.
And there's 3 generics to choose from.

REST IN PEACE
The Following User Says Thank You to StoicNate For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (09-25-10)
Old 09-25-10, 09:47 AM
ADDvanced Member

What are the generics?

So I dont think its the adderall making me dizzy I forgot to take it yesterday and I still got dizzy.