ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 09-27-10, 02:12 PM

Nickc is on a distinguished road
Adderall - trouble breathing

So i went back to my doctor and let him know that 30mg was not lasting all day and he gave me the option of 2x xr pills(which i decided against because i am pretty sure insurance only covers 30xr pills a month), or using 2 10mg instants spaced through out the day(11am and 3pm) on top of the 30xr in the morning.

He also told me that some people respond better to the instant forms of adderall and to see if that was the case for me.

The first couple days I took them at the times we talked about, i had difficulty breathing just about every time i took them, but i did not connect the dots(i have asthma and i figured that was the reason).

Then I tried switching to instant releases completely for 2 days and that is when it dawned on me that i get the asthma like feeling in my chest occurs 30minuts or so after i take the ir's.

I have verified that the XR's do not cause this, and the asthma like feeling is not serious, it does not really impair my breathing, it just makes my chest feel a bit tighter/ some constricting of the throat(or whatever asthma constricts).

The 10mg is generic and the 30xr is brand if that makes a difference. I am wondering if this issue will correct itself, or if i should be worried at all.

Sorry for the long post, thanks in advance for any information.

TLDR: Added 20mg of adderall ir barr brand and it gives me minor asthma like symptoms. Wondering if this will correct itself or if this is something i should be worried about.
Old 09-27-10, 03:40 PM

babychewy is on a distinguished road
Re: Adderall - trouble breathing

Is your asthma under control(taking meds for it)? Adderall causes shortness of breath even with people who do not have asthma because it is a vasoconstrictor. I have asthma as well and taking singulair daily with my adderall. I have occasional moments when my lungs feel stuffy but it goes away after a few minutes.
Old 09-27-10, 03:46 PM

Nickc is on a distinguished road

I use a proair albuterol sulfate inhaler when i have problems. The xr does not cause me any shortness of breath, even when the doc told me to take 2x when I had a test. I am not sure why ir causes it and xr doesn't they both have the same active ingredients.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-10, 09:33 PM

dprice218 is on a distinguished road

They have the same active ingredient - namely, mixed amphetamine salts in particular ratios - but the XR has special beads which basically delay metabolism of half of the total dose.

There are differences in the inactive ingredients - perhaps you're having some sort of allergic reaction?

Other than that, I'm not sure why the instant release would be associated with shortness of breath and the XR wouldn't.
Old 09-28-10, 01:22 AM

Blue Paradox has a spectacular aura aboutBlue Paradox has a spectacular aura about

I had the same problem a while after I started taking Adderall. The tight chest seemed to happen almost suddenly, also about 30 min after I took it, and it slowly went away. It was worse if I drank Dr. Pepper around the same time (which I always did on the way to school). I also thought it was asthma, but my inhaler didn't help at all.

I finally went to see my allergist. Turned out that it was a weird manifestation of heartburn. The Adderall made it easier for stomach acid to get into my esophagus, which irritated it and stimulated a nerve that caused my lungs to feel very tight, like an asthma attack. I was skeptical at first, but it all improved when I started taking Prilosec.
Old 09-28-10, 03:01 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,764 Times in 1,003 Posts
Driver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond repute

You're experiencing anxiety: your dose is too high.