ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-10, 12:31 PM
Social Committee Moderator

Thanked 14,412 Times in 7,196 Posts
Abi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond repute
The Peter Pan Syndrome

While not regarded as an actual medical condition, I've found the following to be very interesting and applicable to me (notice the avatar )

Peter Pan syndrome is a pop-psychology term used to describe an adult who is socially immature. The term has been used informally by both laypeople and some psychology professionals in popular psychology since the 1983 publication of The Peter Pan Syndrome: Men Who Have Never Grown Up, by Dr. Dan Kiley. (Kiley also wrote a companion book, The Wendy Dilemma, published in 1984.) It is not listed in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, and is not recognized by the American Psychiatric Association as a specific mental disorder.

Puer aeternus, Latin for eternal boy is used in mythology to designate a child-god who is forever young; psychologically it refers to an older man whose emotional life has remained at an adolescent level, usually coupled with too great a dependence on the mother. The puer typically leads a provisional life, due to the fear of being caught in a situation from which it might not be possible to escape. He covets independence and freedom, chafes at boundaries and limits, and tends to find any restriction intolerable.

The words, puer aeternus, come from Metamorphoses, an epic work by the Roman poet Ovid (43 BCE – c.17 CE) dealing with Greek and Roman myths. In the poem, Ovid addresses the child-god Iacchus as puer aeternus and praises him for his role in the Eleusinian mysteries. Iacchus is later identified with the gods Dionysus and Eros. The puer is a god of vegetation and resurrection, the god of divine youth, such as Tammuz, Attis and Adonis. The figure of a young god who is slain and resurrected also appears in Egyptian mythology as the story of Osiris, and is said to be symbolized in Christianity by the figure of Christ.

The puer in Jungian psychology

Swiss psychiatrist Carl Gustav Jung developed a school of thought called analytical psychology, distinguishing it from the psychoanalysis of Sigmund Freud (1856–1939). In analytical psychology (often called "Jungian psychology") the puer aeternus is an example of what Jung called an archetype, one of the "primordial, structural elements of the human psyche".

The shadow of the puer is the senex (Latin for "old man"), associated with the god Apollo—disciplined, controlled, responsible, rational, ordered [Emphasis mine]. Conversely, the shadow of the senex is the puer, related to Dionysus—unbounded instinct, disorder, intoxication, whimsy [Emphasis mine].

Like all archetypes, the puer is bi-polar [NB. NOT the psychiatric condition] , exhibiting both a "positive" and a "negative" aspect. The "positive" side of the puer appears as the Divine Child who symbolizes newness, potential for growth, hope for the future. He also foreshadows the hero that he sometimes becomes (e.g. Heracles). The "negative" side is the child-man who refuses to grow up and meet the challenges of life face on, waiting instead for his ship to come in and solve all his problems.

"For the time being one is doing this or that, but whether it is a woman or a job, it is not yet what is really wanted, and there is always the fantasy that sometime in the future the real thing will come about.... The one thing dreaded throughout by such a type of man is to be bound to anything whatever."

"Common symptoms of puer psychology are dreams of imprisonment and similar imagery: chains, bars, cages, entrapment, bondage. Life itself...is experienced as a prison."

When the subject is a female the Latin term is puella aeterna, imaged in mythology as the Kore (Greek for "maiden").

[Condensed from Wikipedia]

[S]pain may have possession of the ball, but we [D]utchies have possession of illegal substances - Sarek

I can't tell [Willem Dafoe] from David Archuleta - Sarek

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
Old 09-29-10, 12:42 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 20,067 Times in 7,227 Posts
ginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Peter Pan Syndrome

The Romans corrupted the emblems of the various Greek deities.

Dionysius is Greek, Kore is Greek the puer aeternusis Latin.

Bachus (the latin deity) is a drunk letcher whereas Dionysius(the greek deity) is a liberator. Kore/Persephone (the greek deity) is wise and symbolizes transformation among other things. Proserpina (the latin deity) considered her a protector of marraige.

Maybe the books sold well.
Old 09-29-10, 12:46 PM

Abi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond repute

Ginnie-winnie,

Technicalities aside, don't you think I (and many other ADDers) fit this archetype?

[S]pain may have possession of the ball, but we [D]utchies have possession of illegal substances - Sarek

Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-10, 12:59 PM

Thanked 2,805 Times in 1,751 Posts
EshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant future

Michael Jackson

peripatetic is nuts and I'm the squirrel.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EshkaronsEngine For This Useful Post:
βĩο₱Ħعℓĩ (09-29-10), ADDisme2010 (09-30-10)
Old 09-29-10, 01:02 PM

Was waiting for that one.

Old 09-29-10, 01:02 PM

Thanked 2,805 Times in 1,751 Posts
EshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant future

I consider myself in this group. I can only say I pity those people who cannot stay children at heart. I chided my brother and his wife that they are sentinels in the matrix of 9-5 life. My best years of my life were when I was 5 and 6. The experiments and thoughts I had were great and varied and I will never let go of that spirit.

peripatetic is nuts and I'm the squirrel.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EshkaronsEngine For This Useful Post:
Abi (09-29-10), ginniebean (05-28-12)
Old 09-29-10, 01:15 PM

Thanked 7,533 Times in 3,012 Posts
salleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond repute

I read that book years ago, long before I knew that I had ADD.....and I related to the Peter Pan part, not the Wendy part !.....

I remember fopr m,ost of my life two things have popped up in my head at odd times....the first ...now this is going back a bit ....but back in the 50s when I was a little girl, there was the Dobie Gillis Show, and Maynard G Krebbs, was his best friend, and a Beatnik.....the word he is saying here is "work"

that has been stuck in my head for more than 50 years......the other one was.....

I fear they have colored my perception and attitude towards life.....and I am dead serious about this.......

........If you make it to age 50 without growing up, you don't have to ......

.....After all, the business of life is the acquisition of memories....in the end, that's all we have .....Words of wisdom by the Downton Abbeys' butler
The Following User Says Thank You to salleh For This Useful Post:
Abi (09-29-10)
Old 09-29-10, 01:29 PM

Thanked 20,067 Times in 7,227 Posts
ginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by abi2010 View Post
Ginnie-winnie,

Technicalities aside, don't you think I (and many other ADDers) fit this archetype?
Actually I think this harms us. Firstly, we are often likened to 'children' and this infantalizes us. It stems from people making moral judgements about our behaviour.

We have all the responsibilities of any adult yet we do not share all the common values. This makes us wonderful, lively adults and sometimes really big jerks to be around but it doesn't mean we are children in the sense of being 'irresponsible" "dependent" or "emotionally adolescent". These are all very negative moral judgements that imply a willful act.

If you'll notice the latins understanding of the greek deities they appropriated and redefined was a much cruder and unenlightened understanding of what were powerful, wise and functional deities that represented ideal aspirations of human life.

This is actually paralleled in our experience, often people thru ignorance make negative moral judgements that are unjust as the thumb is on the scale.

Yes, I still like humour that is not overly complex and I do occaisionally laugh at something considered very juvenile. I am naive and gullible but these are also traits associated with coding issues from having less working memory.

The thing is.. sometimes less is more and sometimes it's not.

I know how YOU meant it but when seen from the outside (and oh it has been endlessly discussed) it gets distorted and used as a weapon.

I get soooo ****ed off at this characterization that is so routine yet strangely so full of unacknowledged bigotry.

I guess.. like any group you can use the C (child) word and do so free of bigotry.. they can't.

Also, like the greek mythologies, we're much more complex and interesting than the dumbed down version of the 'experts'.

(where is my fiddle?)
βĩο₱Ħعℓĩ (09-29-10), Abi (09-29-10), ADHDTigger (09-29-10), ana futura (05-19-12), Fortune (09-29-10), keliza (05-19-12), Lunacie (09-29-10), Possum (09-29-10), salleh (09-29-10), Shockwaeve (05-19-12), shysmile (09-29-10)
Old 09-29-10, 02:04 PM
ADDvanced Member

ruby-lang has a spectacular aura aboutruby-lang has a spectacular aura about

Parents of ADD children talk about the two-thirds rule of thumb: expect your kid to act like a child around two-thirds of their age. For example, a 5-year old will throw the kind of temper tantra you'd expect from a 3-year old, and a 12-year old teenager doing homework will procrastinate like an 8-year old. I think it holds pretty well for adults too. At least in my case, I'm in my early thirties, and I drive poor DW crazy with the kind of irresponsible actions that would be fine back at college.
Abi (09-29-10), ADDisme2010 (09-30-10), Shockwaeve (05-19-12)
Old 09-29-10, 04:02 PM

Thanked 1,663 Times in 821 Posts
K-Funk has a reputation beyond reputeK-Funk has a reputation beyond reputeK-Funk has a reputation beyond reputeK-Funk has a reputation beyond reputeK-Funk has a reputation beyond reputeK-Funk has a reputation beyond reputeK-Funk has a reputation beyond reputeK-Funk has a reputation beyond reputeK-Funk has a reputation beyond reputeK-Funk has a reputation beyond reputeK-Funk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruby-lang View Post
Parents of ADD children talk about the two-thirds rule of thumb: expect your kid to act like a child around two-thirds of their age. For example, a 5-year old will throw the kind of temper tantra you'd expect from a 3-year old, and a 12-year old teenager doing homework will procrastinate like an 8-year old. I think it holds pretty well for adults too. At least in my case, I'm in my early thirties, and I drive poor DW crazy with the kind of irresponsible actions that would be fine back at college.
That sounds pretty much like me

~ Krishnamurti

Attention wandered, I left with it.....

~Helmet

The Following User Says Thank You to K-Funk For This Useful Post:
Abi (09-29-10)
Old 09-29-10, 04:46 PM

Thanked 7,533 Times in 3,012 Posts
salleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond repute

ginniebean is absolutely correct when she gets upset at ADD people being called childish, and not actually being that was.....

when I wrote of Maynard and the song from Peter Pan ....I was speaking of myself, I know I tend to be rather childish in my attitude towards life...it's only been the past couple of years, it dawned on me that I did eventually have to grow up ......

I also think it does have a lot to do with whether or not you have children .....that you raise.....being a parent flings you into grown-uphood whether you want it or not ......I know I got away with not growing up a lot longer cause there were no children around to force me into being the adult.....

this is just my own personal take on the matter......

........If you make it to age 50 without growing up, you don't have to ......

.....After all, the business of life is the acquisition of memories....in the end, that's all we have .....Words of wisdom by the Downton Abbeys' butler
The Following User Says Thank You to salleh For This Useful Post:
ginniebean (09-30-10)
Old 09-29-10, 04:56 PM

Please note, I was commenting on MY OWN personal identification with this archetype in the OP.

I believe that WAS clear from the beginning, but in case it wasn't this should serve to clarify.

The Following User Says Thank You to Abi For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (09-29-10)
Old 09-29-10, 06:23 PM

Thanked 13,633 Times in 5,040 Posts
ADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond repute

The thing with Peter Pan was that he was- while insisting that he would never grow up- effectively an adult or managing the adult role. He was the protector and the defender of the Lost Boys. He was the provider. And he was very much the "moral compass" if you will. He was the head of house. He was in no way socially immature but rather possessed of a maturity beyond his apparent years.

That book took only the idea- Pan would never grow up- and attached it to a group of men who prefer to be emotionally unavailable. I know several. None of them are bad people. One has been my dearest friend for some 15 years. It becomes necessary to recognize the limitations of these individuals and allow for that.

Unnatural "mommy" attachment is another issue altogether.

Never forget. "Normal" is just a setting on the washing machine.
Do you really want to be a setting on the washing machine?
If you do, wouldn't you rather be the spin cycle?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ADHDTigger For This Useful Post:
Abi (09-29-10), ginniebean (09-30-10), salleh (09-29-10), Shockwaeve (05-19-12)
Old 09-29-10, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adhdtigger
Unnatural "mommy" attachment is another issue altogether.
Yeh, that bit does not apply to me either.

Good points.

--
Edit: One point... it's not so much a "preference" to be emotionally unavailable as it is something outside of my (/our) ability to control.

Much like ADHD symptoms, anxiety, mania and similar.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Abi For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (09-29-10), ginniebean (09-30-10)
Old 09-29-10, 10:20 PM

Thanked 2,174 Times in 1,053 Posts
βĩο₱Ħعℓĩᶏ has disabled reputation

So I've got to share, because this thread is all too appropriate for what happened today when was walking through Home Depot trying to find some play sand for putting termites into lab colonies.

I was walking up and down the main isles, trying to figure out how they effin numbered them (first the numbers go up, then the numbers go down, then up...). My general in-store confusion is augmented double or triple in Home Depot and the numbers blew my effin mind...

After about 20 minutes of wandering, very lost, a stranger approached me and said, "YOU! You're the one making all the racket! I thought it was a kid!" I was taken aback, at which point I realized that I had been:

1) shuffling and tapping my feet
2) making "pop" and "bzzz", not unlike blowing into a trumpet without the trumpet, noises with my lips
3) Snapping fingers every so often (direction change initiation)
4) Keys swinging to and fro on hip

I also realized I forgot to take my meds, and apparently, I am not so anxious that I am unaware of needing to inhibit, or at last moderate, certain behaviors in public.

Luckily, there were only TWO choices for sand, "Sand" or "play sand." If there had been more than one play sand, oh goodness... I don't want to know how long it would have taken me to get out of there...
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to βĩο₱Ħعℓĩᶏ For This Useful Post:
Abi (09-29-10), ADHDTigger (09-30-10), agaetis byrjun (05-21-12), ginniebean (09-30-10), Kirby Albee (05-13-12)