ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-10, 07:01 PM

mediploz has disabled reputation
Are people with add/adhd more prone to drug use?

I read this somewhere (sorry no source), that people with add/adhd are more prone to drug use or addiction. I think it said because of the lack of serotonin in their brain or something like that. It would kind of make sense though since a lot of the time a kid is hyper or does bad in school and it's automatically assumed they have add and there prescribed all these pills at an early age.
Old 09-30-10, 07:02 PM

mediploz has disabled reputation
Re: Are people with add/adhd more prone to drug use?

But yeah i was just wondering if anyone else has heard the same thing or has any more info on it.
Old 09-30-10, 07:45 PM
ADDvanced Member

crackerbelly is a name known to allcrackerbelly is a name known to allcrackerbelly is a name known to allcrackerbelly is a name known to allcrackerbelly is a name known to allcrackerbelly is a name known to all

Here's a fairly good article that addresses ADHD and addiction.

http://www.adders.org/info74.htm
Old 09-30-10, 09:04 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 10,203 Times in 5,539 Posts
Rebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond repute

They say it is but I have never used drugs or feel I needed too.Half of me was too chicken crap to and the other half I couldnt being on meds for tourettes.
Old 09-30-10, 09:31 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

ADDisme2010 is just really niceADDisme2010 is just really niceADDisme2010 is just really niceADDisme2010 is just really nice

It can be common to self medicate. I never did by alcohol or street drugs, but I sure have with caffiene!
Old 09-30-10, 09:34 PM
Jr Member

ChrisNewZealand is an unknown quantity at this point

Could be a correlation, causation fallacy. It's also possible that drug users are more prone to attention deficits.
You've woken up, and you get that can't be bothered to do anything feeling. This is because everything is relative. If sleep is the easiest thing to do, then anything else (like putting shoes on) is going to seem hard!

So as soon as you wake up, do the hardest, least appealing thing you need to do. This is a huge effort, it's painfully hard. To do so from sleep is daunting. But once you've done it EVERYTHING from that point on is easier! That's a hell of a way to live
Old 09-30-10, 11:51 PM
ADDvanced Member

Issy12385 is just really niceIssy12385 is just really niceIssy12385 is just really niceIssy12385 is just really nice

I dabbled in drugs as a teen (weed, adderall (haha before diagnosed), and I tried exctasy and opium once). I stopped when I was 18 cold turkey and never looked back.

I do agree that I have an addictive personality but I am not nor never have been addicted to drugs, I just did them to fit in (and I used adderall to self medicate).

I even quit smoking cigarettes after 6 years cold turkey and have been smoke free for over 3 years now!

I agree with ADDisme2010, I believe some may use drugs to self medicate. I know I read somewhere it is usually cocaine because of the upper effect it has.
Old 10-01-10, 12:30 AM
ADDvanced Member

MLIW201 is an unknown quantity at this point

i think its true. whatever chemical imbalances may cause it are good evidence, but think of it if your born with a disability it doesnt ensure addiction but it does leave you prone to self medicating to cope with feelings about the disability, being prescribed meds/drugs cause ones condition may call for it, and iv always had a theory that since we add/adhds have a different chemical balance the drug(s) can effect some of our personalitys alot different than a normal person.
Old 10-01-10, 01:11 AM
I eat shades of red.

Thanked 15,806 Times in 6,555 Posts
Fortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisNewZealand View Post
Could be a correlation, causation fallacy. It's also possible that drug users are more prone to attention deficits.
I...

Wait, what? ADHD is a lifelong condition, so it would necessarily always come before the drug use.
Amtram (10-01-10)
Old 10-01-10, 01:14 AM
Social Committee Moderator

Thanked 14,397 Times in 7,189 Posts
Abi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond repute

mediploz are YOU Fitness Guy?

ChrisNZ are you and mediploz both Fitness Guy?

Am I Fitness Guy?

Questions questions questions

[S]pain may have possession of the ball, but we [D]utchies have possession of illegal substances - Sarek

I can't tell [Willem Dafoe] from David Archuleta - Sarek

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
Old 10-01-10, 01:20 AM

xxskar34 is on a distinguished road

I started using drugs recreationaly when I was 19, never became a problem. During my mid twenties 2moro thing s happened while under the influence of ecstasy, first a free fall into depression and second the realization that I was not normal. For the first time I realized what differentiated me from people and caused me to be the outsider. Memory, processing speed and being present. For the first time time seemed to be continuous and I had access to memories that I never new existed, imagine that! I saw what I would be and feel like if I were normal. I first doubted myself, how did I know it was just not an altered state of mind?, but through subsequent research and conversations I have been able to confirm the my rationalizations. I feel that deep inside each individual perceives their differences from the ir peer
And in a misguided effort to reach the norm or deal with their mal adjustments, they have a higher chance of taking illegal drugs.
Old 10-01-10, 01:29 AM
Jr Member

ChrisNewZealand is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Are people with add/adhd more prone to drug use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortune View Post
I...

Wait, what? ADHD is a lifelong condition, so it would necessarily always come before the drug use.
So you're saying that drug abuse can't cause neuropathology manifesting as an attention deficit?

If you can't answer that directly I'm going House MD on your ***.
You've woken up, and you get that can't be bothered to do anything feeling. This is because everything is relative. If sleep is the easiest thing to do, then anything else (like putting shoes on) is going to seem hard!

So as soon as you wake up, do the hardest, least appealing thing you need to do. This is a huge effort, it's painfully hard. To do so from sleep is daunting. But once you've done it EVERYTHING from that point on is easier! That's a hell of a way to live
Old 10-01-10, 03:23 AM
Moderator of mind and heart

Thanked 20,352 Times in 8,273 Posts
sarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond repute

To the best of my knowledge drug use can not manifest the full range of symptoms associated with AD/HD. Of course, many kinds of recreational drugs can give you symptoms of hyperactivity or distractability. Some can even damage your brain in the process.

Having said that please also visit the thread conditions that mimic AD/HD which should give you an indication of how hard it sometimes is to get a clear dx.

Often, drug use associated with AD/HD is a subconscious but failed attempt at self medication. In the end you will always end up worse.

Humans are caterpillars who do not know they can become butterflies.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarek For This Useful Post:
Amtram (10-01-10), Lunacie (10-03-10)
Old 10-01-10, 03:52 AM
I eat shades of red.

Thanked 15,806 Times in 6,555 Posts
Fortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisNewZealand View Post
So you're saying that drug abuse can't cause neuropathology manifesting as an attention deficit?

If you can't answer that directly I'm going House MD on your ***.
a) I saw medical inaccuracies on House today. I was annoyed for no good reason (it's just a show, relax!) but it coincided with the way a friend attempted suicide

b) I never said that. I said that ADHD is a lifelong condition. Drugs might be able to cause problems? But drugs do not give people ADHD. If your mother smokes or drinks alcohol while you're in the womb, that can cause ADHD, or amplify inherited ADHD (oh, hi, that's so me right there).

Also, what Sarek said.
Amtram (10-01-10)
Old 10-01-10, 05:01 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,079 Times in 1,185 Posts
StoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant future

I think it's more likely that some people with ADHD tend to use illegal substances when they aren't getting their ADHD treated with proper prescribed medication.

I used to dabble in marijuana way back in high school when I wasn't getting any treatment for ADHD and was very impulsive/curious....nothing came good out of it.

If I could delete my past usage of it I would. Don't use illegal drugs, it's not worth it.
My short term memory is a lot worse now than before.

Dx: Adhd Combined type, Asperger's Syndrome, Mathematics Disability (10/4/10)..Panic Disorder, Atypical Depression, And Multiple Phobias.
Rx: Dexedrine IR 2.5-5 mg PRN (starting on 1/21/12).
Past meds: Namenda, Focalin IR, Ritalin IR, Adderall IR, D-Amp IR, Nicotine/Swedish Snus.
Boycott Teva/Barr, CorePharma, Mallinckrodt (Methylin)

REST IN PEACE
The Following User Says Thank You to StoicNate For This Useful Post:
Fortune (10-01-10)