ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Concerta
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Concerta (methylphenidate) Time released Ritalin - 10 hour long acting tablet.

Old 10-05-10, 10:34 AM

shaz14 will become famous soon enough
How long does it take for Concerta to start working

How long after I take a pill should I expect the medication to start working. I know it varies to a certain extent from person to person but would it take 15 minutes? An hour? 3 hours?

I just started taking Concerta on Friday and so far I haven't seen it make any difference. I am only at 18mg so I'm thinking i will need to increase the dosage (my doctor said I could after a week of being on the med), but I was just curious to know what to expect once I'm at the right dosage.
Old 10-05-10, 11:21 AM
Jr Member

bjfoste1 is on a distinguished road
Re: How long does it take for Concerta to start working

one hour
Old 10-05-10, 11:52 AM

00MJR is on a distinguished road

Only thing I get from it so far are side effects. My ADD doesn't go away, if anything it gets worse. Amphetamines worked better for me. I called my doc today and he wants me to try it for a month. If I still have side effects for a week or two then he'll switch me. I wish he would just switch me to an amphetamine. Vyvanse worked great when it did work. Adderall XR or Dex Spansules I think would work best for me but I have to listen to the doc and wait it out.

BLEH!
Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-10, 01:30 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

JR1973 is a jewel in the roughJR1973 is a jewel in the roughJR1973 is a jewel in the rough

Concerta starts working in less than a hour. The outer coating of the pill is the first dose. Trying to get the right dose of concerta can be tricky since it has an abnormal release mechanism. You have to base the dosing on conerta's first dose which is 22% of the total pill. For a 54mg pill you get 12mg immediately and the rest as a steady dose for the next 5-6 hours.
If you've ever taken an amphetamine product then switch to a methylphenidate product you might notice the difference in potency. You have to take 1.5-2x the mg of methylphenidate to equal the amount of amphetamine. Focalin being the exception.
The Following User Says Thank You to JR1973 For This Useful Post:
Lv2sleep (10-05-10)
Old 10-05-10, 01:37 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 13,630 Times in 5,039 Posts
ADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond repute

Shaz, hon, you are still titrating. At 18mg it is likely not a high enough dosage yet but you need to take the lesser dosage for at least a week before you increase. I believe that the next increase is 36 mg.

Slow and steady. I have found that if I titrate slowly, I get more out of the med and fewer side effects.

Stay on top of what is going on and report to your doc.

Never forget. "Normal" is just a setting on the washing machine.
Do you really want to be a setting on the washing machine?
If you do, wouldn't you rather be the spin cycle?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ADHDTigger For This Useful Post:
Hearty Soul (10-05-10), Lv2sleep (10-05-10)
Old 10-05-10, 04:36 PM

shaz14 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADHDTigger View Post
Shaz, hon, you are still titrating. At 18mg it is likely not a high enough dosage yet but you need to take the lesser dosage for at least a week before you increase. I believe that the next increase is 36 mg.

Slow and steady. I have found that if I titrate slowly, I get more out of the med and fewer side effects.

Stay on top of what is going on and report to your doc.
I was told by my doctor to take the 18mg for at least a week before increasing to 36mg so I'm just waiting it out. I'm anxious to find out if this medications works for me but I don't want to screw it up so I'm willing to go slow. I shall be patient
Old 10-05-10, 11:15 PM
Contributor

Lv2sleep is a name known to allLv2sleep is a name known to allLv2sleep is a name known to allLv2sleep is a name known to allLv2sleep is a name known to allLv2sleep is a name known to allLv2sleep is a name known to all

Shaz,

For my daughter, I can see a difference in her behavior with 45 minutes or so. She is on 36mg. She tried 18 mg and titrated to 36mg. I agree with Tigger in taking your time. Then you will know how each doseage affected you and you won't second guess yourself. Good luck and let us know how everything turns out!
The Following User Says Thank You to Lv2sleep For This Useful Post:
Hearty Soul (10-05-10)