ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-10, 09:42 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Pamplemousse has much to be proud ofPamplemousse has much to be proud ofPamplemousse has much to be proud ofPamplemousse has much to be proud ofPamplemousse has much to be proud ofPamplemousse has much to be proud ofPamplemousse has much to be proud ofPamplemousse has much to be proud ofPamplemousse has much to be proud of
Talking I am Writing an Essay on...ADHD!

Ok, so I don't have it finished. But for school we are required to do an 8-10 page research paper. I have decided to do mine on what the real ADHD characteristics are to me and medication for the disorder.

I feel excited about this essay! My English teacher always frowns upon me so maybe with this essay it'll hit her! I'd love to just slap her with a dead and slimy wet fish, but maybe this essay will do. haha.

So what do you think about me posting it here after it's all done with?

Do any of you have any interest in reading it? I have my outline done (and more things may be added so don't slap me if there is extra or missing material in the final copy!)

Heres the outline!

I. What is ADHD?
A. Characteristics
1. Explain similarities/differences of ADD and ADHD
a. ex of characteristics in boys
b. ex of characteristics in girls
c. why it is harder to spot ADD/ADHD in girls than boys
B. How is ADHD diagnosed?
1. Adult Observations
a. Teachers - even HS teachers need to be aware of it and/or learn how to spot it in highschoolers and even other ages of children
b. Medical Examination

II. How is ADHD treated?
A. Medication
1. Medication can be very beneficial
a. All kids should have the option of being treated because it can significantly help their ability to focus/concentrate and reach their full potential
B. Types of Medication
1. Stimulants
a. benefits
b. negative aspects
2. Non Stim/Herbal Remedies
a. benefits
b. negative aspects
3. Behavioral Therapy
a. benefits
b. negative aspects

Well that's all I have for now! What do you all think and would you like to read the final paper? thanks for making it to the end!!

Who has two thumbs, speaks limited French and has ADHD? This moi.
Old 10-18-10, 09:52 PM
Moderately Neato

Thanked 2,650 Times in 1,430 Posts
spunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: I am Writing an Essay on...ADHD!

How about hitting her with half an unsweetened grapefruit? It could be your calling card, lol!
The Following User Says Thank You to spunkysmum For This Useful Post:
RedHairedWitch (10-18-10)
Old 10-19-10, 02:55 AM
ADDvanced Member

Sam I Am is just really niceSam I Am is just really niceSam I Am is just really niceSam I Am is just really nice

I'd like to read it.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-10, 08:40 AM
ADDvanced Member

bumpey has disabled reputation

Good idea, but for some reason, i don't think you'll finish it be funny to see how far you get tho.

Maybe someone can start a book on this one, whos taking bets? I'll take first sentence. Grapefruit pmsl
Old 10-19-10, 02:24 PM
Jr Member

aries has a spectacular aura aboutaries has a spectacular aura about

wonderful! i think a research paper is best when you research something close to heart -- it is much easier to make your own independent conclusions from the "dry" material you have to study. will you be including your personal experiences too? good luck with your work.
Old 10-19-10, 04:35 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 16,576 Times in 7,825 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

I read everything about ADHD I can get my hands on. I'd love to read the paper when you're finished. That looks like it would take more than 8-10 pages.
Old 10-19-10, 05:56 PM

Thanked 10,388 Times in 3,282 Posts
Dizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
Ok, so I don't have it finished. But for school we are required to do an 8-10 page research paper. I have decided to do mine on what the real ADHD characteristics are to me and medication for the disorder.

I feel excited about this essay! My English teacher always frowns upon me so maybe with this essay it'll hit her! I'd love to just slap her with a dead and slimy wet fish, but maybe this essay will do. haha.

So what do you think about me posting it here after it's all done with?

Do any of you have any interest in reading it? I have my outline done (and more things may be added so don't slap me if there is extra or missing material in the final copy!)

Heres the outline!

I. What is ADHD?
A. Characteristics
1. Explain similarities/differences of ADD and ADHD
a. ex of characteristics in boys
b. ex of characteristics in girls
c. why it is harder to spot ADD/ADHD in girls than boys
B. How is ADHD diagnosed?
1. Adult Observations
a. Teachers - even HS teachers need to be aware of it and/or learn how to spot it in highschoolers and even other ages of children
b. Medical Examination

II. How is ADHD treated?
A. Medication
1. Medication can be very beneficial
a. All kids should have the option of being treated because it can significantly help their ability to focus/concentrate and reach their full potential
B. Types of Medication
1. Stimulants
a. benefits
b. negative aspects
2. Non Stim/Herbal Remedies
a. benefits
b. negative aspects
3. Behavioral Therapy
a. benefits
b. negative aspects

Well that's all I have for now! What do you all think and would you like to read the final paper? thanks for making it to the end!!
If you have not looked at it yet, I might suggest the workshop transcript by Russell Barkley.

You can find reference to it and a number of other
ADHD information sources at http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60130

Look for "What is ADHD and how does it affect people?"

Good luck with your essay.

Dizfriz
The Following User Says Thank You to Dizfriz For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (10-19-10)
Old 10-19-10, 06:18 PM

Thanked 11,795 Times in 6,166 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

yes good luck! what a great idea for an essay.
Old 10-19-10, 08:00 PM

emack17 will become famous soon enough

What is the thesis? Is this just an informative essay or are you taking a particular stance on something?

I would dedicate a big chunk of the essay to CONTROVERSY. I think that is one of the most interesting aspects of ADHD.

*Many people don't believe ADHD is a real disorder
*Stimulant Medications are DEA Schedule II along with cocaine and methamphetamine
*Drug companies are facing widespread lawsuits for bribing doctors and creating false-awareness.

That's just what i would write about......good luck!
Old 10-19-10, 08:12 PM

Rookie1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by emack17 View Post
What is the thesis? Is this just an informative essay or are you taking a particular stance on something?

I would dedicate a big chunk of the essay to CONTROVERSY. I think that is one of the most interesting aspects of ADHD.

*Many people don't believe ADHD is a real disorder
*Stimulant Medications are DEA Schedule II along with cocaine and methamphetamine
*Drug companies are facing widespread lawsuits for bribing doctors and creating false-awareness.

That's just what i would write about......good luck!
Even if many don't believe it is a real disorder, let's say it isn't. People being prescribed these schedule II medications are benefiting and many noticing a very positive transformation in every area of their life. So if ADHD does not exist, should people be deprived of these medications even if it will change their life for the better?
Old 10-20-10, 09:51 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

ADDisme2010 is just really niceADDisme2010 is just really niceADDisme2010 is just really niceADDisme2010 is just really nice

Sounds like a great paper, I would also like to read it. Will you consider posting it when it is finished? The only thing I would like to see added is more non-medication treatments for ADHD. Diet, structure, exercise, etc.
For people like me who are not able (due to medical issues) to take stimulant medications, some of these other things have worked very well when combined with non-stim. medication. Just a thought.
Old 07-16-14, 06:52 PM

eskpsk is on a distinguished road

I can't find where you posted it...I sent you a private message with my email though.