ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Ritalin
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Ritalin (methylphenidate)

Old 10-18-10, 11:23 PM
ADDvanced Member

JenSMP has a spectacular aura aboutJenSMP has a spectacular aura about
Ritalin IR (how many times/day?)

How many times per day and at what specific times do you take your instant release Ritalin? Also, what dosage do you take? Thanks!
Old 10-19-10, 01:20 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

String has much to be proud ofString has much to be proud ofString has much to be proud ofString has much to be proud ofString has much to be proud ofString has much to be proud ofString has much to be proud ofString has much to be proud ofString has much to be proud of
Re: Ritalin IR (how many times/day?)

I'm back to IR after taking Concerta for a few months. IR is less expensive and it's easier to time.

I take 5 10mg tablets per day. I most often take 5 doses a day spaced about two to three hours apart. I find that for me, the benefit kicks in after about 50 minutes and usually lasts about three hours. I take my last dose between 5 and 6 pm.

My prescription allows me to take two tablets at a time. Sometimes I take 3 or 4 doses a day and some of these doses are 20mg. This is because every day is different. If I'm doing rote tasks and physically active, then I might miss a dose. If I'm doing something that requires a lot of concentration, then 20mg might help. I usually feel that 20mg, at least for me, is a little bit too much, gets me too focused (but sometimes it works best).
Old 10-20-10, 12:29 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,784 Times in 1,933 Posts
Imnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond repute

I take 10mg of regular Ritalin at 6:30a.m., 10:30a.m., 2:00p.m. and sometimes a fourth dose at 6:00p.m. if I need it for the evening.

Phaedrus

Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-10, 02:11 PM
Contributor

SfumatoPants is a glorious beacon of lightSfumatoPants is a glorious beacon of lightSfumatoPants is a glorious beacon of lightSfumatoPants is a glorious beacon of lightSfumatoPants is a glorious beacon of light

10 mg at 9 am and then 5 mg every 2.5 hours, four times - so 5 mg at 11:30 am, 2 pm, 4:30 pm, 7 pm.

I've been doing this for about 10 months, but recently I'm thinking that the 7 pm dose is too late since my sleep hasn't been as deep the last, oh... 10 months or so. LOL
Old 10-20-10, 02:59 PM
ADDvanced Member

I think I'd be ok with 10mg 3-4 times daily. Right now my rx is for just twice daily. It's enough to get me through the work day, but then I need a little more for the evening time. Three times is probably sufficient on most days, but it would be great to have the option of 4x if needed. Some days are LONG!

My son's doctor changed his Rx to (5mg) 1-2 tabs three times daily, so a total of 30 mg. My guess is we'll end up doing 10, 7.5, and 5 or 10, 7.5, and 7.5. Some days he doesn't need the third dose at all.

It's a bit of a pain having to think about multiple doses, but I like having the control. If I only want a few hours coverage, that's all I have to take. I like to get away with as little medication as possible for a given situation. I know lots of people like to have the consistency that XR and multi-dose meds provide, but I like to have options and control.
The Following User Says Thank You to JenSMP For This Useful Post:
Imnapl (10-20-10)
Old 10-21-10, 04:46 PM

Canadian4Life is on a distinguished road

I take I.R. ritalin 4 times a day. 10 mg in the morning, 20mg at dinner, 20mg in the afternoon and 10mg again in the evening. Works great for me. So 4 doses should be enough for a person..it depends if you need to come down before bed or if you can take a ritalin and go to bed. I can take my 10mg an hour before bed and sleep like a baby.
Old 10-21-10, 10:34 PM
supermoderator

Thanked 23,839 Times in 10,762 Posts
peripatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond repute

every two hours.
Old 10-21-10, 11:48 PM
Nondescript Moderator

Thanked 6,566 Times in 2,692 Posts
APSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond repute

15 mg every two hours. prescribed four times a day, which gives me *just barely* enough coverage for the work day.
Old 10-22-10, 05:35 PM
ADDvanced Member

If you increase the dosage, does it lasts any longer? I am finding that 10mg is good, but only lasts 2-3 hours. Then I start getting a headache & feeling tired and a little foggy.
Old 10-22-10, 05:40 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,079 Times in 1,185 Posts
StoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenSMP View Post
If you increase the dosage, does it lasts any longer?
Nope. That is a common misconception.

Increasing the strength/dosage of a medication won't make it last longer.
It will only be stronger in strength.

Dx: Adhd Combined type, Asperger's Syndrome, Mathematics Disability (10/4/10)..Panic Disorder, Atypical Depression, And Multiple Phobias.
Rx: Dexedrine IR 2.5-5 mg PRN (starting on 1/21/12).
Past meds: Namenda, Focalin IR, Ritalin IR, Adderall IR, D-Amp IR, Nicotine/Swedish Snus.
Boycott Teva/Barr, CorePharma, Mallinckrodt (Methylin)

REST IN PEACE
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to StoicNate For This Useful Post:
JenSMP (10-22-10), peripatetic (10-22-10)
Old 11-07-10, 09:14 PM

Scorpio1988 is on a distinguished road

I only take two a day, one before I head out for the day, and I try and wait as long as possible to take another. I can usually milk it to 4-5 hours later after the crash and stuff, hopefully I can ask my doc for 3-4 a day, I think that would be on the spot perfect. Some days 3 sounds efficient but others I calculate 4 can be good too. Depending when my days start and end.
Old 11-07-10, 09:55 PM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoicNate View Post
Nope. That is a common misconception.

Increasing the strength/dosage of a medication won't make it last longer.
It will only be stronger in strength.
Nate,
You've probably told me this before, but how often do you take your Ritalin IR and what dose? My son is now taking 7.5 mg 3x/day (7:30am, 11:30am, 3:30 pm). I don't think it's lasting more than 3 hours max. After about 2 1/2 hours I notice he gets more irritable and easily angered. I believe the Ritalin is increasing anger and aggression, but he really needs the stimulant to focus. He has meltdowns when medicated and when un-medicated. It's just that with the stimulant meds, his outbursts take on an angrier, more aggressive tone.

My son just started Prozac to combat the moodiness and emotional regulation issues (anxiety). Hopefully it will help. His outbursts are more like panic attacks in their physical symptoms (rapid heart rate, shortness of breath, feels like he's choking, hyperventilating, sweating, trembling, and feeling that he is losing control). They are triggered by perfectionism, frustration, and perceived or actual insults/injustices from other children, and they are over within a few minutes max.

Anyway, do you find that the Ritalin affects you emotionally? Does it tend to help you with emotional regulation and/or irritability? I find that I am much more patient with my son during the first two hours after I take my Ritalin IR (10mg), but then I tend to get impatient and cranky after that. I wonder if he's feeling the same thing. The doctor and I talked about trying Focalin XR twice daily because of the steady release. I've heard it tends to have a more severe rebound, but I suppose we could use a booster if needed to help with that. Or, I read today that we could just try a 12 oz Mountain Dew. Yuck! ; ) My son would probably love it.

Sorry to ramble, but you seem to have a good grasp of the ADHD meds, etc. I'm interested in your thoughts based on your personal experience. Thanks so much for reading all of this if you've made it this far!
Old 11-09-10, 12:50 PM
Contributor

indy is a name known to allindy is a name known to allindy is a name known to allindy is a name known to allindy is a name known to allindy is a name known to all

i'm weird and get "tachyphylaxis" easily, so i take four doses per day at increasing dose.

8:30AM - 20mg
12PM - 25mg
3PM - 30mg
5-6PM - 35mg

adhd-combined type
manic depressive
obsessive compulsive

(yeah, i'm a DSM index )