ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 10-21-10, 05:06 PM
Contributor

Mocodity is just really niceMocodity is just really niceMocodity is just really niceMocodity is just really nice
Days off

I haven't had one yet. I'm sitting here in bed, not having to go to work for another hour and a half so I haven't taken my daily dose yet. I'm definitely feeling sleepy. It's ok because I just have to go to work today.

But I'm wondering, when you guys take days off do you have other stimulants or energizers on hand to stave off the drowsiness or any other symptoms you have? Like, does coffee or sugar or anything like that see to help?

Just curious.
Old 10-23-10, 08:16 PM

littletiger will become famous soon enough
Re: Days off

On my "days off" (I try to take every weekend off, at minimum), I take extra L-Tyrosine (it's an amino acid that your body uses to help manufacture dopamine, the neurotransmitter Adderall affects). I usually take 1,000mg a day, and on days off I will usually double it to 2,000mg. This is in addition to the Omega 3 supplements & B-vitamin complex I take regularly.

I also tend to have a little bit more coffee on those days. Sometimes the Adderall slump is pronounced, and I'm quite draggy & sleepy, other times I feel fine, just not particularly "organized" mentally.
Old 10-23-10, 11:26 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,079 Times in 1,185 Posts
StoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant future

I take weekends off.
I just let my body/mind relax.
The body feels tired because it's recovering from the Adderall used on the weekdays.

It's normal and take it easy on the weekends.

Dx: Adhd Combined type, Asperger's Syndrome, Mathematics Disability (10/4/10)..Panic Disorder, Atypical Depression, And Multiple Phobias.
Rx: Dexedrine IR 2.5-5 mg PRN (starting on 1/21/12).
Past meds: Namenda, Focalin IR, Ritalin IR, Adderall IR, D-Amp IR, Nicotine/Swedish Snus.
Boycott Teva/Barr, CorePharma, Mallinckrodt (Methylin)

REST IN PEACE
Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-10, 05:31 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Scooter77 has much to be proud ofScooter77 has much to be proud ofScooter77 has much to be proud ofScooter77 has much to be proud ofScooter77 has much to be proud ofScooter77 has much to be proud ofScooter77 has much to be proud ofScooter77 has much to be proud ofScooter77 has much to be proud of

I don't take 'days off' because its the meds that allow my mind and body to relax.
Each to their own, but if your medication and dose are right for you then you shouldnt need to be taking regular days off.
Old 10-24-10, 07:15 AM
Jr Member

Scuba_fla is on a distinguished road

Coffee on my days off for sure. But I also drink coffee on my "on days" as well. I've always been a coffee drinker and it helps to give me that jump start at the start of the day.
Old 10-24-10, 04:48 PM
ADDvanced Member

alan1 has a spectacular aura aboutalan1 has a spectacular aura about

Never. Strattera always seems to need to ramp up and even a day off is a problem. Besides. I like being on this. I feel under better control. Not relaxed exactly but not out of control either.
Old 10-24-10, 06:28 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

kiosk is a jewel in the roughkiosk is a jewel in the roughkiosk is a jewel in the rough

days off is a waste of time....if you can afford them then its likely possible you may not have ADHD....but something else (ie depression)
Old 10-24-10, 07:11 PM

littletiger will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiosk View Post
days off is a waste of time....if you can afford them then its likely possible you may not have ADHD....but something else (ie depression)
Seriously? Is it really IMPOSSIBLE for people with ADHD to function a single day without medication? I wonder how any of us survived until adulthood, seeing how (according to you) no "real" ADHDer could possibly make it through an unscheduled weekend without being medicated.

I'm sorry, but that kind of extreme generalization is unsupported and unhelpful.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to littletiger For This Useful Post:
APSJ (10-26-10), deathbybread (11-02-10), skye987 (12-06-11)
Old 10-24-10, 09:19 PM
Jr Member

Scuba_fla is on a distinguished road

Littletiger:

I don't think Kiosk was trying to be extreme, but maybe just trying to explain how they feel about days off. I would definitely agree with you though, matter of fact- I have a 2 day on/2 day off schedule for my Addy. I can't imagine taking it every day and although I've never tried Addy on a daily basis since I began nearly 2 years ago, I would have to guess it would begin to quickly loose its effectiveness due to tolerance etc.
I feel there are endless benefits to cycling the meds rather than daily dosing. For those who can or would like to try-talk to your doc. My doc thinks cycling is great because of the benefits it affords.
kiosk (10-24-10)
Old 10-24-10, 10:36 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

kiosk is a jewel in the roughkiosk is a jewel in the roughkiosk is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by littletiger View Post
Seriously? Is it really IMPOSSIBLE for people with ADHD to function a single day without medication? I wonder how any of us survived until adulthood, seeing how (according to you) no "real" ADHDer could possibly make it through an unscheduled weekend without being medicated.

I'm sorry, but that kind of extreme generalization is unsupported and unhelpful.
sorry you didnt like it...but a true disorder doesnt have "days off" from a scientific point of view....I guess it depends on your definition of "functioning" by which you can afford to take a day w/o your meds....its even more ironic to hear many people that take days off just pound caffeine away all day long rather than their med...thats just simple nonsense if its based on any "recovery" of the body and mind

its also too far generalized that "days off" are needed, for things like the body to recover, for tolerance to come down, etc...there is zero evidence or studies to prove any of it...it isnt based on any facts, just based on individual perception.
Many cite feeling the med work better after taking a couple days off, and that it helped bring down their tolerance....this is just complete nonsense as well. The only reason it feels better its because you missed it for a few days and your mind quickly recalls the re-adjusted mental state relative to the recent lack of medication over the past couple days!!! nothing to do with increase or decrease of tolerance at all!!!
is just like missing to take pain meds for a couple days, the pain came back, then one feels great when you take the pain killer again simply because the pain is gone...but in effect neither the patient nor the med have changed at all.....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kiosk For This Useful Post:
APSJ (10-26-10), Scooter77 (10-25-10)
Old 10-25-10, 05:51 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Scooter77 has much to be proud ofScooter77 has much to be proud ofScooter77 has much to be proud ofScooter77 has much to be proud ofScooter77 has much to be proud ofScooter77 has much to be proud ofScooter77 has much to be proud ofScooter77 has much to be proud ofScooter77 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiosk View Post
sorry you didnt like it...but a true disorder doesnt have "days off" from a scientific point of view....I guess it depends on your definition of "functioning" by which you can afford to take a day w/o your meds....its even more ironic to hear many people that take days off just pound caffeine away all day long rather than their med...thats just simple nonsense if its based on any "recovery" of the body and mind

its also too far generalized that "days off" are needed, for things like the body to recover, for tolerance to come down, etc...there is zero evidence or studies to prove any of it...it isnt based on any facts, just based on individual perception.
Many cite feeling the med work better after taking a couple days off, and that it helped bring down their tolerance....this is just complete nonsense as well. The only reason it feels better its because you missed it for a few days and your mind quickly recalls the re-adjusted mental state relative to the recent lack of medication over the past couple days!!! nothing to do with increase or decrease of tolerance at all!!!
is just like missing to take pain meds for a couple days, the pain came back, then one feels great when you take the pain killer again simply because the pain is gone...but in effect neither the patient nor the med have changed at all.....
I can see why one would get their knickers in a knot, but actually kiosk is correct - although possibly not particularly tactful in the choice of expression!

There is no scientific research (that I'm aware of) that states that tolerance is reduced by having days off. Haphazardly taking meds in a binge fashion is what commonly leads to tolerance - but please prove me wrong if I am, and that's sincere. I'd rather be wrong and educate myself than spout incorrect information
As I posted earlier, taking the right dose of the right medication for the right disorder should not result in tolerance....that doesnt necessarily mean one is not ADHD, it could mean that your dose is incorrect, the particular med is not right for you, or you're not following your dr's instructions properly - I think in a lot of cases it's actually more the fear of tolerance due to negative stereotypes and bad media. Oh I'm on a roll, please nobody move my soap box!

And as kiosk also says, not taking meds for a day or two is enough to amplify ADHD symptoms so you think you notice a change when you go back to meds. Ok, I'm done....!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scooter77 For This Useful Post:
APSJ (10-26-10), kiosk (10-25-10)
Old 10-25-10, 06:47 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Talking Re: Days off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter77 View Post
although possibly not particularly tactful in the choice of expression!
good point!!! it was gettin late and my last dose had long wore off for the day!!!! now imagine what would been like if I had taken a med day off!!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kiosk For This Useful Post:
APSJ (10-26-10), Scooter77 (10-25-10)
Old 10-25-10, 07:28 AM
Contributor

Mocodity is just really niceMocodity is just really niceMocodity is just really niceMocodity is just really nice

What are the benefits of taking days off, for those that do?

I was just more thinking about what I might do if I was cut off from drugs for whatever reason.

Also I'm thinking about my job, which was always easy and I was good at until the adderall. I used to chug an energy drink before work and I would be on fire (it's totally hands-on, and all the organization was macro and pragmatic. I love my job). Now on the stimulants I don't, obviously take the energy drinks, and I feel heavy-headed (like caffeine withdrawal) and my spacial organizational skills are less. It's really depressing. I started thinking about how it would go if I tried not taking adderall on work days (part time) and going back to my old routine.
Old 10-25-10, 11:45 AM

LONER5689 will become famous soon enough

I take weekends off ALWAYS... IMO you do reach a tolerance if you do not take days off...
Old 10-25-10, 01:18 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

I've been taking this med for over 3 years now w/o a single day off....I reached a peak dosage level after 1 year or so...but havent had to increase since then. still get the same benefit from day one, that hasnt changed one bit.

another thing...while I do not necesarily agree with days off with no med at all...I do on certain days take half or even less of the prescribed dose.
there are any circumstances by which I may not take the full prescribed dose, either because of illness (cold, etc), a significant stress event (family, job, etc), but even if I want to relax I have to take at least a small dose...the "H" in ADHD keeps me from "relaxing"