ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Concerta
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Concerta (methylphenidate) Time released Ritalin - 10 hour long acting tablet.

Old 11-02-10, 01:38 PM

fenyx is on a distinguished road
Concerta vs Generic

Has anyone done the switch?
I was told i now have to order in advance if I want to continue to use name brand Concerta and honestly I'm worried about the generic, apparently it doesn't release the same at Concerta does over time.
Has anyone had any positive/negative experiences with switching/trying generic Concerta?
Thanks!
Old 11-02-10, 03:59 PM
Yeti-Wrangling Moderator

Thanked 8,512 Times in 3,827 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Concerta vs Generic

There is no generic version of Concerta yet.

You can get generic methylphenidate (the basic drug in Concerta, Ritalin, Methylin, etc.), but the generic does not yet come in the OROS (osmotic release system) form that Concerta uses.

As you said, this means that the methylphenidate will be released into your system on a different schedule, and so it may work differently. Depending on what generic form you get (instant release?), you may have to take smaller, more frequent doses throughout the day.

Before you switch, talk to your doctor about the dosing (amount and timing). If the generic works for you, great, you've saved yourself some money! If not (or you forget doses a lot), and you can afford it, you can switch back.

Good luck wrangling with the formulary!
Old 11-02-10, 05:22 PM

Its a generic version here in Canada...
but its a time release tablet instead of the osmotic release Concerta has...
Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-10, 07:00 PM
Yeti-Wrangling Moderator

namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute

I stand corrected, and hope you'll forgive my U.S.-centric information!

Here's some info about the Canadian generic for Concerta, which is made by Teva and called Methylphenidate ER C:
http://www.addadhdblog.com/generic-c...-canada/#657d3
(Scroll part-way down the page.)

Some of the same caveats seem to apply: since the time-release mechanism is different from the osmotic system used in Concerta, it still may not give you exactly the same effects as Concerta (for better or for worse).

The doctor who wrote the blog claims that if your doctor writes "NO SUBSTITUTION" on the prescription, you may still be able to get the brand-name Concerta. But I suppose that doesn't necessarily mean your insurance will cover it.
Old 11-02-10, 08:14 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

JR1973 is a jewel in the roughJR1973 is a jewel in the roughJR1973 is a jewel in the rough

Generic Concerta will be available on May 1, 2011 here in the USA.

http://tinyurl.com/2esro8u
The Following User Says Thank You to JR1973 For This Useful Post:
namazu (11-02-10)
Old 11-02-10, 10:52 PM
Contributor

Lv2sleep is a name known to allLv2sleep is a name known to allLv2sleep is a name known to allLv2sleep is a name known to allLv2sleep is a name known to allLv2sleep is a name known to allLv2sleep is a name known to all

I am a little worried.... I had no idea a generic was coming....Are people currently using Concerta required to try the generic before the doctor writes, "no substitution" on the script?

I don't mind having my daughter try it for a week or so, but I don't want my insurance company to force her to switch!!
Old 11-03-10, 10:29 PM

Appel has a spectacular aura aboutAppel has a spectacular aura about

Hmm I refilled my daughter's prescription yesterday, she came and went to take a nap this afternoon and she's 'bumming' out, not normal for her. I'm not positive about what the exact pills were in her last her prescription but these pills say ALZA. These are, in fact, generic for concerta per her prescription

Our regular pharmacy was out so went went to Target to fill it. I'll be asking her regular pharmacy tomorrow what exactly her last prescription was filled with, concerta or generic. In the meantime, has anyone else have experience with ALZA where it was a bit too effective?

Last edited by Appel; 11-03-10 at 10:30 PM.. Reason: add details
Old 11-03-10, 11:24 PM
Yeti-Wrangling Moderator

Appel,

ALZA is the manufacturer of the brand-name Concerta, so if the pills say ALZA, you're not getting a generic.
Old 11-04-10, 05:42 AM
Contributor

Lv2sleep is a name known to allLv2sleep is a name known to allLv2sleep is a name known to allLv2sleep is a name known to allLv2sleep is a name known to allLv2sleep is a name known to allLv2sleep is a name known to all

I just checked, and ours say, "ALZA" on them too.... Glad to know it is the real thing.

Can anyone answer my questions from my earlier post?
Old 11-04-10, 10:59 AM
Jr Member

vintagecrimes is on a distinguished road

anyone know how much the concerta is gonna run me? round about estimate i know all insurance companies are different. I'm on a free trial right now and was under the same impression they were generic.
Old 11-04-10, 03:29 PM
Contributor

Our copay is $30 per month with Anthem Blue Cross. I think the list price is around $160
Old 11-04-10, 05:56 PM

Hey..
I dont have insurance and for brand name Concerta 18 mg 30 days its $82 Canadian. I was informed at the pharmacy that generic would be about $60 Canadian.
Old 11-04-10, 10:41 PM
Contributor

I'm surprised the generic Concerta in Canada is only slightly less expensive than the real thing...
Old 11-04-10, 11:04 PM

shaz14 will become famous soon enough

I'm in Canada and taking the generic Concerta. I'm taking 36mg of Teva-methyphenidrate and it is working fine for me. I think it is lasting the 12 hours...I don't find I have a specific wearing off period. I'm pretty happy with it.
Old 11-11-10, 12:10 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

hollyduck is just really nicehollyduck is just really nicehollyduck is just really nicehollyduck is just really nice

I'm taking 36mg of Concerta TM. Earlier this month I was switched to Teva-methyphenidate ER-C 36 mg, and found it a raw roller-coaster experience lasting roughly 7 hours, with a ritalin crash at the end, depression, irritability and loss of focus. It was unpleasant and disruptive, and I was considerably less functional than with the untreated condition. I could only tolerate it for about 8 days.

I am happy to report I moved back onto the trade drug, and have been making a stink about the so-called equivalent drug. Next step, CBC's Marketplace (I hope.)

Ducky