ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > Primary & Secondary Education
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Primary & Secondary Education This forum is for parents to discuss issues related to their children's education and AD/HD.

Old 11-03-10, 03:00 PM

celticgarden is on a distinguished road
Advice welcome - middle school

My ADHD-PI son (now in 8th grade) was diagnosed a year ago. School actions so far have been to perform the psychologist's and special ed evals. Results were that he has low average foundation knowledge (my words, don't have the report in front of me). He scored 0.1 percentile in working memory. Basically they said that his low-average scores mean that he does not qualify for any special ed intervention. They offered 504 plan remediations such as front of class seating, printing out class notes, longer time for tests. Said I should get him a hand held spell check. They claim extra math help won't assist him. My son has had 2 years of in school math help plus one year of Sylvan. They claim that his low working memory is the problem, extra help in math (and science, he is getting an F) won't help.

Meanwhile, his pediatrician recommended a visit to a child psych which we paid for. She thinks there is a hidden learning disability and wants a full neuropsych eval. She is recommending a re-trial of a stimulant med which we are willing to do. She told me that her report will force the school to cover the expense of the neuropsych eval. I should call an immediate PPT meeting to bring this to pass. Is this true? Anyone know how much resistance I might meet in trying to get them to cover this? Any way to force their hand? We live in Connecticut.

My poor ADHD-PI son. He has been made to feel through the years that he is less than others. The whole reason we started down this path was when in 7th grade he came to me and asked, "Mom, could I be retarded?". He's a sweet, balanced dreamer of a kid and had I known that there was such a thing as "primarily inattentive" type ADHD we would have worked this out long ago. At this point I want him to experience success and I want it YESTERDAY. I'm disappointed in the school, sad that we didn't "find" this sooner. The school stating that low average is acceptable is deplorable. I know he is capable of more but it can only happen with positive support. Like others have stated in different threads, the school has study halls that help students learn organizational skills. Why the HECK wouldn't they teach that as a general skill to all students is BEYOND me. It's not available unless part of an IEP.

thanks in advance
Old 11-21-10, 09:41 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,312 Times in 2,016 Posts
LynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Advice welcome - middle school

Does he have a 504 plan in place?

If he is diagnosed with ADHD and is failing math and science, I don't understand why he wouldn't qualify for an IEP. Poor working memory would be considered a learning disability, wouldn't it?

I don't have anything to offer in the way of advice, but thought I'd give this post a bump, since you hadn't had any responses yet...

Anyone??
Old 11-23-10, 11:37 AM

Scotter has a spectacular aura aboutScotter has a spectacular aura about
Re: Advice welcome - middle school

Look for an advocate in your state.

See if the special Ed department has any formal or informal parents groups, these people are your best resource.

Learn how to file a formal complaint with your school district. And do so asap, there are often short time limits. Ask for specific remedies, including catch up for services not given. I asked for and got private tutoring for a failure to provide services.

Read wright's law and learn about NCLB.

If you have the means hire an advocate, if not see if there are any organizations that will help you.

Ask the doctor how that works, they may be willing to act as an advocate.

Advocates are worth their weight in gold, they make things happen fast. I wish I could afford to bring one in for my son again, but I think the school acts faster for me because they know I have in the past. This is why I mentioned it three times in this post
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scotter For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (11-23-10), LynneC (11-23-10)
Sponsored Links