ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 11-08-10, 12:42 AM

cbnj is on a distinguished road
Good Careers for an ADHD-PI (Primarily Inattentive)?

Greetings -- So, I'm in the process, once again, of attempting to determine my next career endeavor...hopefully last, but unlikely. Actually, after reading some of the diverse career mentioned in different threads on this forum, I've had comparatively few positions.

My undergrad is in Psychology and I also have an MBA. Most of my working life has been in telecommunications and advertising, but the desk jockey time was shear hell for me. I know that I can't be seated for too long, and want to get back to my roots...doing something that has a basic 'helping' quality. It's a bit of a conundrum though, in that overly taxing my brain seems to make it mushy : ). When in fearful or repetitive situations, I have overwhelming anxiety that certainly doesn't help me cognitively; see below. Additionally, I tend to be pragmatic, so aside from trying to find a career that aligns with my interests and personality (ENFP), I'd also like to position myself in a growth sector and make a reasonable to good living.

My mom and wife are both teachers and although they say I would make a wonderful teacher -- child at heart -- they believe that the opportunities in this field are dwindling and are exceptionally competitive at the moment; not that I couldn't eventually find a job teaching, but that the supply/demand curve wouldn't be working in my favor in this career area. Where there may be additional opportunities is in allied health (nursing, occupational therapy & speech language pathology in particular), appeal the most to me. I certainly love the thought of working with children and the idea of 'play', but could also apply that philosophy to some pediatric specialty as well. Finally -- just to add to the complexity of the saga -- I have long-term memory issues that plague me. I'm able to do reasonably well in school, but before I pursue another career, would like to get to the root of the long-term memory issues -- is it chemical, diet (have Celiac disease), pathological etc. I am a bit scared of how cognitively taxing some of the career paths I'm exploring might be.

So, any career suggestions and hey, if you have any memory/neuro/cognitive test suggestions/solutions, you can throw that in too : )

Thanks!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cbnj For This Useful Post:
lynette19775 (11-26-10), phantasm (04-16-13)
Old 11-08-10, 01:07 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,802 Times in 1,751 Posts
EshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant future
Re: Good Careers for an ADHD-PI (Primarily Inattentive)?

I'm deeply interested in this thread because I am ENFP as well. I have no idea what to do. I want to program but that is not within ENFP. The say it is the "portrait of a champion" so I hope I hear some good ones.

peripatetic is nuts and I'm the squirrel.
The Following User Says Thank You to EshkaronsEngine For This Useful Post:
FroGpants (11-29-10)
Old 11-09-10, 12:15 AM

jake9777 is on a distinguished road

I am also en ENFP. At age 40, I am also "attempting to determine my next career endeavor...", this must be my 27th attempt since high school and still no solid answer. I have a feeling that I will be attempting until the day I cannot work anymore.

Based on my past experience, outside sales of any kind would satisfy the urges of an ENFP: extroverted, plenty of new people, solve each problem to close the sale, flexible, challenging. I have mostly done inside sales of products that I have no feelings about whatsoever, so my next move is the outside sales direction of something I can feel good about. Fundraising has been suggested to me - I am selling a cause.

I have wasted a lot of time in my life "attempting to figure out" the career direction. I have come to the conclusion that there is no point in figuring it out at home, I am going to do any job that they hire me for. If it doesn't work, I analyze the data and move on forward, I give myself a maximum 1 month limit in this analysis process.

Good luck !
The Following User Says Thank You to jake9777 For This Useful Post:
Abi (11-09-10)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-10, 01:26 AM

EshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant future

Are there any other ENFP people like me who always want to do what they're not suited for just for the fun of the challenge? I always gotta feel like there's a big mountain for me to climb or big learner curve to keep me stimulated.

Old 11-10-10, 10:46 PM

cbnj is on a distinguished road

Well, depending on the personality profile test, I've been labeled 'ENFP', 'ENTP' & 'ESFP'...so the extroversion and perceiving are consistent...and I think often, feeling is as well; what this all means, I'm not entirely certain.

What I do know, is that ADD and co-morbid anxiety can be a b*tch to manage, particularly in a work environment that does not suit one's personality. I'm almost approaching this job search as an R&D specialty...gathering all of my data, dissecting it and then moving forward.

So, essentially knowing my personality profile and my ADHD-PI diagnosis, I thought I might be able to make a more educated decision this vocational go-round.
Old 11-11-10, 12:48 AM
Super Meowaderator

Thanked 14,702 Times in 5,818 Posts
meadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond repute

I would never decide against a job simply because some personality test said I would not be good at it. . . I have taken that myers-briggs thing and answered their 100 questions and some times I am an introvert and others I am an extrovert.

If you have spouse and child{ren} then you are going to have to do what ever makes you money. That is a given I understand completely.

If you are interested in a specific field then try and learn as much about what it takes working the actual job - Talking to some one who does it , some times internships are possible {or volunteer opportunities depending upon the field itself}

I thought I wanted to be a writer - rather ironic seeing as I am dyslexic. I researched the prospect and then submitted an article as a freebie because that is how some get published as a stepping stone to paid stuff. I got published twice and although I was pretty proud of myself I learned one thing doing these short articles - I do not want to write for a living. Too instructed and involves way to many words.

My husband saw if as wasting my time because I did not get paid I saw it as a free lesson - I usually have to learn stuff the hard way so any lesson that does not cost me an arm, leg, my savings or a relationship is a bargain in my book.

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
Old 11-26-10, 06:25 PM

My goal is to constantly be current with what's going on. To ride the Zeitgeist as it were. Journalism would be a dead ringer for me but I will never follow that one for there's no money there and today there are more journalists than ever with everyone having a blog. My ADD makes me get bored quickly so I sort of juggle between areas of study while maintaining my mundane job that keeps me fed.

Old 11-26-10, 06:33 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,289 Times in 761 Posts
Mignon has disabled reputation

Good Careers for an ADHD-PI (Primarily Inattentive)?

Reclusive billionaire
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mignon For This Useful Post:
boopdeedoop (04-05-13), cbnj (12-05-10), LaVieEnRose (12-02-10), Tommy Wilhelm (11-30-10)
Old 11-26-10, 07:43 PM
Contributor

lynette19775 is just really nicelynette19775 is just really nicelynette19775 is just really nicelynette19775 is just really nice

Hmm. I am an ENFP, as well. I wonder what the predominant personality type is of the ADD individual? Seeing all of these posts from people who are ENFP, it just got me wondering.

Anyway, back to the subject at hand. I, personally, seem to find myself feeling most fulfilled in the helping profession/social work field. I have a BA in Psych and have had four different jobs in social work. However, my problem was, these positions were pretty much open, in that I was responsible for creating my schedule, figuring out what needed to be done without guidance, keeping appointments, filing paperwork daily, etc., which all spelled out disaster for me. Of course, at that time, I hadn't been diagnosed with ADD and wasn't being treated. I just thought I was a horribly irresponsible, disorganized person who wasn't competent enough to be successful in her job.

Currently, I am an insurance agent. This job is much more structured for me and this has helped me to feel more competent and less out of control. However, I do miss feeling like I am making a real difference in the world.

I was just diagnosed Wednesday, and I am hoping my new meds will help make a difference in my life. It is to early to say, but maybe in time, if I am able to become more organized, I might be able to return to my first love, social work. Until then, I will continue in the insurance field where I feel more stable and competent.

Best of luck to you in all your endeavors! =]
Old 12-04-10, 12:52 AM

jake9777 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by EshkaronsEngine View Post
Are there any other ENFP people like me who always want to do what they're not suited for just for the fun of the challenge? I always gotta feel like there's a big mountain for me to climb or big learner curve to keep me stimulated.

I always gotta feel like there's a big mountain for me to climb or big learner curve to keep me stimulated. >> I am the exact same way !! When I do accomplish that goal, then I move on to something in a completely different field which is not good because there is no consistency. But I do need above normal difficult challenges to maintain stimulation. I am also ENFP.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jake9777 For This Useful Post:
EshkaronsEngine (12-04-10), ImissATARI (12-30-10)
Old 04-05-13, 11:38 PM
Jr Member

boopdeedoop is on a distinguished road

and of course no one had an answer. because the only ones that can get jobs are the ADHDers