ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 11-16-10, 11:49 PM

Computerz is on a distinguished road
Adderall XR Duration

Hello adderall board!

I've been prescribed to adderall XR (20mg) a day for roughly three weeks now. Finally found the medication that did the trick for me after going through Strattera, Vyvanse, and Concerta!

All has been going well so far, and it seems like the dosage might be just about perfect; though some days if I really need to I will take an extra half-cap of 10mg along with my 20mg dosage.

The one 'problem' that I have seemed to encounter, is that by around 6/7pm the effects of the medication seem to fade (I take it at 9.30am - Starts to get workin by around 10.20am). As I am currently a college student, this poses a pretty big problem when it comes to getting homework done. Especially as I work 3 days of the week from around 5-9 or 10pm, sending me home knowing that it would be worthless to even try reading as I just simply cannot do it.

So I was wondering, are there any of you who also seem to have this problem? And how do you deal with it?

- I'm wondering if it's just going to be an experience of me just learning to re-structure my life to get things done ahead of time so I don't have to worry about it at night. (?)
- But at the same time, one time that is very nice to do some extra studying (not cramming though) is right before I go to bed, as I keep thinking about it nearly as soon as I wake up!

Should I be discussing this with my doctor and maybe seeing if 5mg "boosters" would be a good idea just to use on nights that I do need to get some extra work in?

Thanks for you input!

- Computerz

Last edited by Computerz; 11-16-10 at 11:57 PM.. Reason: grammar
Old 11-17-10, 12:00 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Naussicaa has a spectacular aura aboutNaussicaa has a spectacular aura about
Re: Adderall XR Duration

It depends on your metabolism, and when you get tolerant you will require more. You will just need to ask for some instant release tablets in addition to your regime. Ask for a larger one, it would be unpleasant to have too little, but when you have too much you can ask for less. I would start with size 10/12.5/20 IRs. Cut them into small parts and use them as needed they are also cheaper this way. Stay away from CorePharma unless you want to be disappointed. Its better to have less fillers in your body than too many.

Please search the boards next time, this question has been answered countless times, and google is always there as well.

In any case you should change your behavior, Adderall allows you to do better, but you may simply be painting at a worthless painting for several years with more gusto.
Old 11-17-10, 12:25 AM
ADDvanced Member

Syndrox has a spectacular aura aboutSyndrox has a spectacular aura about

Nice! Glad you joined the Adderall XR team Computerz! Mine run out at about 7/8pm for me cause I dose around 10-10:30. That is why I am on 30mg Adderall XR two times daily. You sound like you need the same. Then you just pop that next one "X" hours after your first one, with "X" being however many hours after 6/7 you want to sleep that night. Problem with the IR boosters is they work bad and crash bad after being on XR in my opinion. Go with the double XR instead.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-10, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naussicaa View Post
It depends on your metabolism, and when you get tolerant you will require more. You will just need to ask for some instant release tablets in addition to your regime. Ask for a larger one, it would be unpleasant to have too little, but when you have too much you can ask for less. I would start with size 10/12.5/20 IRs. Cut them into small parts and use them as needed they are also cheaper this way. Stay away from CorePharma unless you want to be disappointed. Its better to have less fillers in your body than too many.

Please search the boards next time, this question has been answered countless times, and google is always there as well.

In any case you should change your behavior, Adderall allows you to do better, but you may simply be painting at a worthless painting for several years with more gusto.
Ah thank you for the response!

I actually am in the process of changing my behavior and finding habits that seem to work best for me! I realize that it is not a medication to take and expect changes to miraculously happen, but rather more of a bump in the right direction that has to be one change that you initiate yourself. In doing this and currently changing my ways, I've went from a 1.8 gpa cumulative from my first year in college (eek!), to a current 3.7 I am happy to be ending the semester at. Mind you, this has included much other personal life changes but currently (as I am a college student) this is the one I can actually use to measure my progress of habits with numbers. So yes, I am doing my part and letting the medication do a lil bit too

But, I have started to realize that everyone needs time to study or review a bit at night. Don't think I should have to rush work early knowing that I will be "running out of time" until I can't retain it, nor can I expect to finish things at such a fast pace that I can avoid nightly studies (hell... I'm still learning how to learn again!). This is what makes me wonder what would be the best plan of action for me to see about how to combat this.

I do have an EXTREMELY fast metabolism. 5"8' and 135 pounds since I was 16, and haven't changed a bit since I've been on the medication. I always have been one to eat a whole fridge full of food, yet lose weight if anything! My family always jokes about how I couldn't get big if I tried :P

But I think my doctor might be hesistant about IR medication, as every medication to date that he has prescribed me (Strattera, Vyvanse, Concerta) has been an extended release medication. I have heard that many are this way because of the potential for addiction or whatnot. But, I'm wondering if this would be the best track to take if already I have found the right medication for me! Maybe taking more doses or a higher dose? (ideas?)

I plan on going to see my doctor early next week during my Thanksgiving as I will be running out of my current prescription anyways... though hopefully later in the week as this medication-to-medication process has been non-stop, and I feel a few days break is in order.

And yes, I know 'google is there' and have given that response many a time (my name is computerz, after all ) . Though if I want to know about something, I won't have someone else ask for me ... just a bit nicer to have a direct, more personal response tailored to one's own question and concern in relation to their own story. But again, thank you for giving your time to respond!
Old 11-17-10, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrox View Post
Nice! Glad you joined the Adderall XR team Computerz! Mine run out at about 7/8pm for me cause I dose around 10-10:30. That is why I am on 30mg Adderall XR two times daily. You sound like you need the same. Then you just pop that next one "X" hours after your first one, with "X" being however many hours after 6/7 you want to sleep that night. Problem with the IR boosters is they work bad and crash bad after being on XR in my opinion. Go with the double XR instead.
Ah thank you Syndrox!

I have heard bad things about IR in that sense as well, along with the "instant-kick" compared to the XR slow, steady release that I currently seem to be experiencing (I have not tried IR before). I have not had any bad comedowns, as they only are late at night and result in me knowing it's about time to git to bed! :P

I think I may speak about this with my doctor, as I'm wondering if he would be more comfortable with this instead of IR pills as it seems that he is avoiding this approach from the get go.
Old 11-17-10, 01:54 AM

Scorpio1988 is on a distinguished road

I'm using ritalin ir right now, but since my clinician doesn't know which medication would work better for me, and since two ritalin ir was too little for my (also) ten+ hour day(full time work and full time college...yeesh) she is trying me on two adderall xr. I am again waiting for a pre-auth. to go through. Anyways, she told me the same thing about taking one, waiting then taking another
Old 11-17-10, 11:01 AM
ADDvanced Member

Do it up guys, Adderall XR twice daily is how to stay legit all day! I would not bother with IR at all. It is also such a pain to have two types of pills also. Also giving out two XR daily is not liked by some doctors because technically they should last all day so it can seem like you just want to like sell them or get high, especially since your new to the meds also. But just explain your legitmate reason of it not lasting that long and about your metabolism and you should be fine.
Old 11-17-10, 12:50 PM

Scotter has a spectacular aura aboutScotter has a spectacular aura about

So is 6 to 7 hours how long it 'should' last?

Is it even possible for something time released to work for a shorter time in some people? I take my second dose 4 hours after the first, and feel like I only get 4 hours from that point.

I am not really sure how the time release aspect really works. I have read conflicting explanations. Some say you get half the amount, then four hours later the second half releases. Others say the four componets just have varies half lives, but then why the beads?

I'm only 18 days in on my first trial so I am still trying to figure out this whole thing.
Old 11-17-10, 05:49 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Naussicaa has a spectacular aura aboutNaussicaa has a spectacular aura about

It does depend on metabolism.

Both are correct. They release them in two phases, and each of the salts have a different half life. The beads dissolve to allow the second phase. Its similar to fireworks, all of them have different colors, and they shoot out at different times.

You can ask for a larger XR and just take later, or do something like dump out some beads and just it later in the day.
The Following User Says Thank You to Naussicaa For This Useful Post:
Scotter (11-22-10)
Old 11-17-10, 10:09 PM

Lord Powerbang is on a distinguished road

I would suggest switching to IR. I had the same problem. Now I take a 30 MG IR twice daily, and on long days, I take a third dose. Or possibly get two scripts. One IR, one XR. Take the XR in the morning and take the IR if needed on the tail end of the XR half life. Also, avoid acidic beverages and diuretics. These will make the effect wear off fairly quickly. Try sticking with water during the day, and you should see a big improvement.

(EDITED FOR ACCURACY)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lord Powerbang For This Useful Post:
aarondev (11-22-10), kiosk (11-28-10), Scotter (11-22-10), Teddytron (11-28-10)
Old 11-17-10, 10:35 PM
ADDvanced Member

Adderall XR
Adderall XR consists of the following amphetamine compounds in equal proportions: dextroamphetamine saccharate, dextroamphetamine sulfate, racemic amphetamine aspartate monohydrate, and racemic amphetamine sulfate.[1] Breakdown rates are affected by many factors including urinary and stomach pH,[9][10] weight, gender, other medications being taken, and age. Alkalinity increases bioavailability, and acidity causes the drug to be excreted sooner. Manufacturers claim that the mixture of salts in Adderall XR makes its effects smoother (that is, makes softer highs and lows).[12] The mixture of salts and their ratios are as follows:
1/4 dextroamphetamine saccharate
1/4 dextroamphetamine sulfate
1/4 (racemic dextro/levo-)amphetamine aspartate monohydrate
1/4 (racemic dextro/levo-)amphetamine sulfate
These four salts are metabolized at different rates and possess diverse half lives[citation needed], thereby resulting in a less dramatic onset and termination of therapeutic action, as compared to single-salt amphetamine preparations.[citation needed] The average elimination half-life in adults for dextroamphetamine and levoamphetamine is 10 hours and 13 hours, respectively.[13]

From wikipedia
Scotter (11-22-10)
Old 11-22-10, 09:05 AM

Scotter has a spectacular aura aboutScotter has a spectacular aura about

So it seems there is a huge difference between blood plasma concentration half life and the length of time it is helpful with symptoms.

Also a 10 hour mean is not that useful a number without the range and the mode. Has anyone ever found the abstract for the one and only trial with adults?

Two more weeks until my next appointment, ugh. I think I may need a ir booster on homework hell days (two ADD kids with two ADD parents makes for a fun time).
Old 11-22-10, 11:28 AM
Contributor

aarondev will become famous soon enough

Scotter, not to be silly Mathematics with you but Mode nor range is so important. Average is the common but unhelpful usage, too. Median is most useful as that's where the most occur; average gets hurt dramaticaly but outliers. Basic statistics, sir =) (not meant to be condescending, just useful).

To original poster: MOST on these forums tend to report that Adderall XR lasts LESS than the stated '10+ hours'. In my own experience, when I started on it at 20mg twice a day it lasted 8 hours before I noticed the 'come down'. I've been on it about 10 weeks now and have noticed that drop to about 4-6.

Make sure to watch for your water intake, along with eating a meal with the dose and getting enough sleep. As one other poster said, there are a lot of other threads on here that you can easily find by clicking search and just typing 'dose', I imagine.

In any case, its cool to ask anew. A note on your studying habits: Yes, no one does what you thought you could do and not review. There have been many studies done on the ability to recall and results show that if you review for about an hour a day, retention goes up; every 3 days, goes up; every week, goes up. (this is for studies, having read a lot of study skills books). Sorry for not being able to quote a specific study or anything. Lastly, you may watch though for your 'productive periods'. As in, some people find that they 'just seem to' work better late at night versus earlier in the morning.

Lastly, take note of which generic you're using. CorePharma is thought of less. There was a big thread on this a while ago. Teva is most popular I believe, but Sandoz is most elaborately recommended (by the posters of that thread, at least).
Old 11-28-10, 06:57 PM
Contributor

Canuck223 is a name known to allCanuck223 is a name known to allCanuck223 is a name known to allCanuck223 is a name known to allCanuck223 is a name known to allCanuck223 is a name known to all

I'm an adult with ADHD-PI, half way through my second month of Adderal XR. I was on 20mg for the first month. It worked well, but as I get up for work at 5am, most days it seemed to have worn of by Noon. FOr the following month, my Dr. upped the dosage to 25mg. That was fine, but I really didn't notice an increase in duration. I see my doctor again in two weeks. I would frankly rather drop back to the 20mg dose, but have a second 20 mg available for those days when I need to stay on the ball in the afternoon.
Old 11-28-10, 07:08 PM
Banned

Proxyspam is on a distinguished road

Take your extra half cap 6 hours after your first 20mg dose. Problem solved. In case 20mg is not enough as a first dose, take 30mg as first dose and the other half cap 6 hours later and explain to your doctor on your next meeting why you took more than prescribed. The 6 hour figure is not randomly chosen.

In case you can't sleep well, take the half cap 2 hours after your first dose. Never take it 3-5 hours after your first dose.