ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > Children's Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Children's Diagnosis & Treatment This forums is for parents to discuss issues related to diagnosis and treament of children with AD/HD

Old 11-17-10, 07:47 PM

sjmk is on a distinguished road
Started meds and full of rage

My daughter has been diagnosed with ADHD. Prior to meds she had some aggressive tendencies as well as behavioral issues, but it seems like this has intensified by like 10x since starting meds. She was prescribed 20mg of Adderall RX. She has been on the medication for 2 weeks now and has full blown fits of rage where she throws things, kicks the walls, screams as loud as she possibly can, cursing, etc.

We thought at first it was because she was tired as her sleeping patterns have changed and she can be very irritable when tired. *was warned of the sleep issues* but this is just getting worse.

Has anyone else experienced rage with these meds?

I am almost tempted to just stop the Adderall tomorrow
Old 11-17-10, 08:02 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 8,294 Times in 2,787 Posts
RedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Started meds and full of rage

Increased irritability and even anger happens sometimes. It could work itself out as her body adjusts or it could mean a change in dosage or trying to different med.
The absurdity of working so hard to continue doing something you don't like can be overwhelming. And the longer it takes to feel different, the more it starts to seem like everything might actually be hopeless bull. ~ Hyperbole and a Half
Old 11-18-10, 09:33 AM
Contributor

mimi'sdreaming is just really nicemimi'sdreaming is just really nicemimi'sdreaming is just really nicemimi'sdreaming is just really nice

It's my understanding that if there's any underlying anxiety or depression, stims can bring them to the surface. Anything underlying should be treated first before treating ADHD.

I know my son has anxiety and treating that first before adding on a stim was very beneficial!

Good Luck!

ADD mom to a 7 year old with ADHD combined type.
We both have the privilege of adding "Anxiety" into the mix!
The Following User Says Thank You to mimi'sdreaming For This Useful Post:
MGDAD (11-22-10)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-10, 11:17 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

angora has a brilliant futureangora has a brilliant futureangora has a brilliant futureangora has a brilliant futureangora has a brilliant futureangora has a brilliant futureangora has a brilliant futureangora has a brilliant futureangora has a brilliant futureangora has a brilliant futureangora has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmk View Post
My daughter has been diagnosed with ADHD. Prior to meds she had some aggressive tendencies as well as behavioral issues, but it seems like this has intensified by like 10x since starting meds. She was prescribed 20mg of Adderall RX. She has been on the medication for 2 weeks now and has full blown fits of rage where she throws things, kicks the walls, screams as loud as she possibly can, cursing, etc.

We thought at first it was because she was tired as her sleeping patterns have changed and she can be very irritable when tired. *was warned of the sleep issues* but this is just getting worse.

Has anyone else experienced rage with these meds?

I am almost tempted to just stop the Adderall tomorrow
Phone your doctor and try something else. My son has the opposite reaction - he's calmer, not angry and aggressive until the medication he's on starts wearing off.

We tried a few different things until we found something that works for him and that's not unusual.
The Following User Says Thank You to angora For This Useful Post:
Imnapl (11-23-10)
Old 11-18-10, 12:04 PM

James71 has a spectacular aura aboutJames71 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by angora View Post
Phone your doctor and try something else. My son has the opposite reaction - he's calmer, not angry and aggressive until the medication he's on starts wearing off.

We tried a few different things until we found something that works for him and that's not unusual.
I agree with this advice. My son has the opposite response to Adderall. He calmed down and started paying attention.

His 2nd grade teacher commented that now instead of whining when told to do his work (math, writing, etc) now he is just saying, "ok" and gets started.

If your child is getting worse and it doesn't change after a few weeks, it is time to try something else.

Adderall is not one of those medicines that takes time to build effectiveness in the bloodstream. It starts working within 30-45 minutes.
The Following User Says Thank You to James71 For This Useful Post:
Imnapl (11-23-10)
Old 11-22-10, 05:44 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

MGDAD has much to be proud ofMGDAD has much to be proud ofMGDAD has much to be proud ofMGDAD has much to be proud ofMGDAD has much to be proud ofMGDAD has much to be proud ofMGDAD has much to be proud ofMGDAD has much to be proud ofMGDAD has much to be proud ofMGDAD has much to be proud of

I would definately talk to your doctor about this and stop giving the medication. Raging is a possible side effect of stimulants, and not something likely to go away. Your daughter might have some other issues that need to be addressed.
The Following User Says Thank You to MGDAD For This Useful Post:
Imnapl (11-23-10)
Old 11-22-10, 08:38 PM

kit-kat is on a distinguished road

Yes, my son had a similar reaction. He also has aggressive tendencies which were only made worse by the medication. We went on vacation about a month and a half after he started the medicine (to my mothers - so we've done this many times). He had a terrible time transitioning. He had never had this problem before and just had some incredible fits, which I hadn't seen since he was 3 or 4. I called the doc and we both agreed to take him off the meds immediately. We are now on intuniv with much better results. I would call the doc as soon as you can and discuss it with him/her.
The Following User Says Thank You to kit-kat For This Useful Post:
Imnapl (11-23-10)
Old 12-12-10, 02:16 PM
Jr Member

JennyH is on a distinguished road

My son had a similar reaction to Ritalin. I was aware that it could happen (we're watching for Bi-Polar) and after one dose he was cycling so rapidly that he only got that one dose and I texted his behavioral pedi and she told me not to give him another dose. We waited one month and he started Adderall yesterday and he's doing much much better on the Adderall. If the rages start again, we will try Abilify.
Old 12-14-10, 11:47 AM
Forum Guru

ccom5100 has disabled reputation

My ds also had a similar reaction to a stimulant med. He is now using a non-stimulant (tenex) , which is working much better for him.