ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Diagnosis & Treatment This forum is for the discussion of issues related to the diagnosis of AD/HD

Old 11-23-10, 02:51 PM

BillDoolin is on a distinguished road
addicted to meth with add

I am 25 years old and have been addicted to meth the last 3 years of my life, as well as opiates and pot the last 10 years. I recently went to an inpatient drug treatment facility for 60 days and have now been clean for over 3 months. I believe I have fairly severe add as it is interfering with my life and relationships. I have made an appt. with a psychiatrist i have seen in the past, and will be evaluated in a couple weeks. I know that add is treated with stimulants and my regular doctor said that if he could, he would never prescribe me stimulants for add even if it was severe because of my meth use (even though he does not do that type of stuff, he sent me to a psychiatrist). Is one automatically denied treatment if they have a history of abusing stimulants? Now I am under the impression through the research that i have done, that i was self medicating with meth, even though I was using too much. It made me calmer, more able to focus, etc. Even though I am an addict, and am taking the necessary steps to deal with this problem, i need to address the issue of my possible add. Will it be harder for me to get treatment if i do exhibit a diagnosis of add because i was addicted to meth? This is starting to wear on me and i just want to function in a more normal state, and if stimulant meds do this how can I be denied treatment because of another disease. Its starting to wear on me. I guess im just wondering if anyone else has dealt with this problem or am in the same shoes i'm in.
Old 11-23-10, 04:02 PM
ADDvanced Member

kaossalami is on a distinguished road
Re: addicted to meth with add

I'm sending you a PM BillDoolin. Check your inbox.
Old 11-23-10, 06:26 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

itsanADHDthing has much to be proud ofitsanADHDthing has much to be proud ofitsanADHDthing has much to be proud ofitsanADHDthing has much to be proud ofitsanADHDthing has much to be proud ofitsanADHDthing has much to be proud ofitsanADHDthing has much to be proud ofitsanADHDthing has much to be proud ofitsanADHDthing has much to be proud ofitsanADHDthing has much to be proud of

They are just looking out for your general heatlth. And with your background, and especially in todays times, they are making sure that you aren't faking so you can get some legal speed.

You may have very well have been self medicating. For the most, were you smoking only small amounts at a time to calm and focus you? Or was it a binge every day?

Again, the stims may not work for you because your body has aready built a strong tolerance for higher doses.

THIS IS JUST A THOERY I have heard once elsewhere that a guy believed his ADD was an effect of his cessation of drug use.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-10, 07:35 PM
ADDvanced Member

WhoaaaaaI'mADD will become famous soon enough

i think itsanADHDthing has the right idea. I know you might think your doctor is being a bit harsh, but I'm sure you can see where he's coming from. Having a bottle of essentially legal meth is way too tempting for many of us. I know there are some days where I take my adderall, don't feel anything, and pop another less than an hour later. Imagine this if you know how awesome meth feels? You'll be downing the whole bottle before you know it.

For your sake, assuming you get diagnosed, I'd try out non-stims first. Give them a long chance, because the effects aren't always quickly recognized. I know you've been clean for 3 months, but it only takes one stimulant pill to force you right back.

Also, I think the meth was most likely a self-medicating technique. Unfortunately, due to its nature, it was likely taken too far. Good luck to you and keep us updated on your diagnosis.