ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Wellbutrin
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Wellbutrin (bupropion hcl)

Old 11-23-10, 06:06 PM
ADDvanced Member

Issy12385 is just really niceIssy12385 is just really niceIssy12385 is just really niceIssy12385 is just really nice
Wellbutrin and increased thoughts of death?

OK so I was all excited, been taking wellbutrin (bupropion) for a month now and no side effects. But over the last few weeks I have noticed that I have had increased thoughts of death and dying.
Not suicidal thoughts, but that horrible fear of dying thoughts, and they seem to be magnified and intense.
I'd say it is depressing without being depressed.. it is an entire new form of depression for me

Anyone else have increased negative thoughts, especially regarding death, while taking wellbutrin?

There really are no other meds for me to try because the instant stimulants are too much for my heart... but I'd hate to take this and constantly think of being scared of death and feel like it could happen at any time...

I don't want to think about it.... nobody does.... and I wasn't like this before....
Old 11-24-10, 01:24 PM
Jr Member

eawaters04 is on a distinguished road
Re: Wellbutrin and increased thoughts of death?

Antidepressants can increase these thoughts. While I've never personally experienced them, it's best to call your doctor. If you feel suicidal call your doc or a hotline.
Old 11-24-10, 02:13 PM
Contributor

fropunka is a jewel in the roughfropunka is a jewel in the roughfropunka is a jewel in the rough

There are two kinds of "dying" thoughts. Either you idealize death, "I would love to kill myself" or you fear it. "OMG I'm going to crash my car on the way home and fly through the windshield and be beheaded".

The first one is the one they are talking about on the warning label. When people have severe depression, they are actually too depressed to actually kill themselves. When the med starts working, sometimes they get enough "oomph" to actually try it.

The second one is anxiety. I had those horrible thoughts for a long time too. I take Celexa for my anxiety now and the thoughts have gone away.

Anyway, yes, talk to your doctor regardless, you may need to try something different.

If I were though...I'd be Cashews.

But Daddy, I WANT IT NOW!!!-vercua salt
The Following User Says Thank You to fropunka For This Useful Post:
Jshect (09-19-13)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-10, 06:58 PM
ADDvanced Member

Issy12385 is just really niceIssy12385 is just really niceIssy12385 is just really niceIssy12385 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by fropunka View Post
There are two kinds of "dying" thoughts. Either you idealize death, "I would love to kill myself" or you fear it. "OMG I'm going to crash my car on the way home and fly through the windshield and be beheaded".

The first one is the one they are talking about on the warning label. When people have severe depression, they are actually too depressed to actually kill themselves. When the med starts working, sometimes they get enough "oomph" to actually try it.

The second one is anxiety. I had those horrible thoughts for a long time too. I take Celexa for my anxiety now and the thoughts have gone away.

Anyway, yes, talk to your doctor regardless, you may need to try something different.
It is the second one, I am the opposite of suicidal, I want to be immortal haha

Does Wellbutrin cause your anxiety to increase ten fold? It is a sizeable increase.
Old 11-24-10, 07:00 PM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eawaters04 View Post
Antidepressants can increase these thoughts. While I've never personally experienced them, it's best to call your doctor. If you feel suicidal call your doc or a hotline.
Thanks... I am not suicidal, I am just literally scared to death of death now!
Old 11-26-10, 02:31 PM

ADHDAlbert has a spectacular aura aboutADHDAlbert has a spectacular aura about

Wellburtin has been known to increase anxiety.

I recently switched to 300 mg XL once a day and for the first few days I was really anxious but that went away after a week.

I also would suggest calling and telling your doctor. If you are taking Wellbutrin for ADHD only then you might try Straterra and see if that works. If you have ADHD and depression then your doc might give you another med to counter the anxiety.

Glad it's not suicidal thoughts, those really suck!

-Albert
Old 11-27-10, 07:09 PM
ADDvanced Member

Unhappy Re: Wellbutrin and increased thoughts of death?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADHDAlbert View Post
Wellburtin has been known to increase anxiety.

I recently switched to 300 mg XL once a day and for the first few days I was really anxious but that went away after a week.

I also would suggest calling and telling your doctor. If you are taking Wellbutrin for ADHD only then you might try Straterra and see if that works. If you have ADHD and depression then your doc might give you another med to counter the anxiety.

Glad it's not suicidal thoughts, those really suck!

-Albert
Thanks. I am taking it for ADHD only (with a side of depression I guess)... Unfortunately do to my heart being too fast, I am unable to take stimulants like adderrall and I am unable to take straterra as it is not recommended for people with any heart conditions
Old 11-27-10, 07:26 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,289 Times in 761 Posts
Mignon has disabled reputation

I expereinced feelings of dread - not throughts - out of nowhere when taking bupropion at first and on an ongoing basis. This is oft reported by people at askapatient.com

Yeah, increased seemigly causeless anxiety in whatever form is a side effect of bupropion for some people.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mignon For This Useful Post:
425runner (09-19-13), Issy12385 (12-12-10)
Old 11-22-12, 06:26 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

mirandatoritess has disabled reputation

Welbutrin Black Box Warning: WELLBUTRIN XL - bupropion hydrochloride tablet, extended release
BTA Pharmaceuticals
DESCRIPTION
WELLBUTRIN XL (bupropion hydrochloride), an antidepressant of the aminoketone class, is chemically unrelated to tricyclic, tetracyclic, selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitor, or other known antidepressant agents. Its structure closely resembles that of diethylpropion; it is related to phenylethylamines. It is designated as ()-1-(3-chlorophenyl)-2-[(1,1-dimethylethyl)amino]-1- propanone hydrochloride. The molecular weight is 276.2. The molecular formula is C13H18ClNO•HCl. Bupropion hydrochloride powder is white, crystalline, and highly soluble in water. It has a bitter taste and produces the sensation of local anesthesia on the oral mucosa. The structural formula is:
WARNING
Suicidality and Antidepressant Drugs Use in Treating Psychiatric Disorders: Antidepressants increased the risk compared to placebo of suicidal thinking and behavior (suicidality) in children, adolescents, and young adults in short-term studies of major depressive disorder (MDD)
and other psychiatric disorders. Anyone considering the use of WELLBUTRIN XL* or any other antidepressant in a child, adolescent, or young adult must balance this risk with the clinical need. Short-term studies did not show an increase in the risk of suicidality with antidepressants compared to placebo in adults beyond age 24; there was a reduction in risk with antidepressants compared to placebo in adults aged 65 and older. Depression and certain other psychiatric disorders are themselves associated with increases in the risk of suicide. Patients of all ages who are started on antidepressant therapy should be monitored appropriately and observed closely for clinical worsening, suicidality, or unusual changes in behavior. Families and caregivers should be advised of the need for close observation and communication with the prescriber. WELLBUTRIN XL is not approved for use in pediatric patients. (See WARNINGS: Clinical Worsening and Suicide Risk in Treating Psychiatric Disorders, PRECAUTIONS: Information for Patients, and PRECAUTIONS: Pediatric Use)
"Heaven has no free wi-fi? Screw this Im going to hell"
"How do you know hell has wifi?"
"Satan owes me several favors"

Its a beautiful day....... I think I will skip my meds and stir things up a bit"
Old 12-08-12, 12:38 PM
ADDvanced Member

kimical has a spectacular aura aboutkimical has a spectacular aura about

that happened to me. and it happens more when my life turns to ****.

For example, I was recently in a car accident and had to go to the ER. A few weeks later I got this bill for $1300 and suddenly I couldn't stop thinking my life was over and it made me scared. Fortunately I wasn't the one driving so the driver's insurance should pay for the bill but my mind has a terrible way of dealing with stress, especially while on antidepressants.

Rx: wellbutrin sr, abilify, klonopin,
Old 09-18-13, 08:57 PM

cmo999 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fropunka View Post

I know exactly what he is talking about, and it doesn't fit with your model of "the two kinds of 'dieing' thoughts". The deathly thoughts that Wellbutrin causes are not a fear that I might die soon, "OMG I'm going to crash my car on the way home and fly through the windshield and be beheaded".

Instead, it's more of a hyper-awareness of mortality - even though my death might not be for 50 or 60 more years, I will die. It's a general anxiety about the delicate and temporary nature of life. It is not in any way irrational, it's an absolute reality-based fear.

I think that it's good to have that kind of awareness occasionally, because it really puts things into perspective, but having that awareness too often would get very unpleasant. Better to put on our blinders and be numb to the impending end of mortality, while we can be.
Old 09-19-13, 02:20 AM
Contributor

Jshect is just really niceJshect is just really niceJshect is just really niceJshect is just really nice

Well, if the medication is helping you, you might be able to overcome this preoccupation with death with therapy or just over time. Otherwise, try switching to something else.
Old 09-02-17, 11:24 PM

Rcallender1 is on a distinguished road

How long did it take to stop? Did you stop taking the meds? This is happening to me right now I can't think about anything else...every thought for the last 5 or 6 days has been about the fact that I will someday die and no longer exist i can barely do anything without this sending me into a full panic attack I've been crying for days I have only been taking generic wellbutrin for a little over a month but my doctor recently like a week and a half ago upped my dose from 150 mg a day to 200 mg twice a day...i honestly don't know how much longer I can deal with this, I have stopped taking it.
Old 09-03-17, 07:23 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,252 Times in 14,926 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcallender1 View Post
How long did it take to stop? Did you stop taking the meds? This is happening to me right now I can't think about anything else...every thought for the last 5 or 6 days has been about the fact that I will someday die and no longer exist i can barely do anything without this sending me into a full panic attack I've been crying for days I have only been taking generic wellbutrin for a little over a month but my doctor recently like a week and a half ago upped my dose from 150 mg a day to 200 mg twice a day...i honestly don't know how much longer I can deal with this, I have stopped taking it.
You might need to see someone about this level of panic and anxiety.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 12-30-17, 01:50 AM

Leonel is on a distinguished road

Issy12385 Hi! Did the thoughts of death ever fade away for you? If so, what did you do differently? How long did it take for the thought to go away? Thanks.