ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-10, 05:02 PM
Jr Member

lordshade55 will become famous soon enough
My brain feels empty. No thoughts whatsoever.

Hello,

The problem i am facing which probably contributes to all my problems is that i don't consciously think. I only think when concentrating and when i do that, it's in different layers. My mouth, when i talk speaks before i think, or should i say knowing you're aware that you are thinking.

Still, i can construct sentences, talk etc. etc. What i can't do is having long conversations ( small talk), except for people who i know and the topics i have knowledge of. But that's not the problem because these problems are related to my own dumb mistakes. The mistakes that i don't read books, not going out allot ( anxciety ) and sitting behind a pc too much.

Back to the topic. This is not a tiny problem, i seriously can't think like most people do. They do it automatic. I need to concentrate to create thoughts. Like really concentrating. This creates if you don't do it, impulsive behavior, blurting out things and making you look silly.

I think this is why i have had a bad youth. Being bullied because you can't defend yourselve, procastrination , concentration issues, working memory problems ( big one ) etc. I think this is all due to :

- the blank/foggy mind, no thoughts
- never studied in school or at home
- environmental situation ( bullied etc.)

I would like to hear from people here if they know people or have any experience with this. Is this a product of mental/neural problems , ADD related, depression/anxciety issues, slow processing speed ( SCT) or low serontine/dopamine ?
The Following User Says Thank You to lordshade55 For This Useful Post:
Saboit (11-26-10)
Old 11-24-10, 05:07 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 7,412 Times in 3,830 Posts
fracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My brain feels empty. No thoughts whatsoever.

Sounds like SCT. In the inattentive forum there was a thread on this.
I'll go dig it up for you.

Personally, I have a lot of distracting thoughts, sometimes with no solution at the end. They just go off into other thoughts until the original thought is completely forgotten about. But I think it interferes with my speech. I'm a start -stop talker and stutterer.
I can't defend myself in front of bullies too.
I couldn't study in school but that was do to noise and the need to constantly draw and not pay attention to the teacher.

edit: Sorry, couldn't find the thread. But go to the inattentive forum because people there will be able to relate what you're going through.
Old 11-24-10, 07:12 PM

Thanked 2,799 Times in 1,750 Posts
EshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant future

Strattera completely solved this in my case. This can only be addressed with medication so my advice is have fun dealing with your doctor and trying out all meds, I found Strattera to be the best to bring in the required energy to bring my thoughts out. Good luck.

peripatetic is nuts and I'm the squirrel.
The Following User Says Thank You to EshkaronsEngine For This Useful Post:
FroGpants (11-29-10)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-10, 12:00 AM
Forum ADDvocate

nova2012 is a splendid one to beholdnova2012 is a splendid one to beholdnova2012 is a splendid one to beholdnova2012 is a splendid one to beholdnova2012 is a splendid one to beholdnova2012 is a splendid one to beholdnova2012 is a splendid one to behold

I have this issue too but have ADHD-C. In my case, I believe it is due to a medical condition (hypothyroidism) and/or depression. It's best described as brain fog. We already have some level of brain fog with ADHD, but it's not the clinical brain fog that literally feels as if you are thinking "through" fuzz or static. My mind is very slow. But I also have physical symptoms like severe fatigue, muscle/joint aches and pains, back pain, carpal tunnel-like symptoms, etc. Just thought I'd comment that, at least for the past month or two, I can relate, if for different reasons. Normally, I have the opposite problem: my brain is going a million miles per minute and I can't stop it. But I yearn for that state again!
Old 11-25-10, 01:06 AM
Banned

Thanked 2,073 Times in 931 Posts
LaVieEnRose has a brilliant futureLaVieEnRose has a brilliant futureLaVieEnRose has a brilliant futureLaVieEnRose has a brilliant futureLaVieEnRose has a brilliant futureLaVieEnRose has a brilliant futureLaVieEnRose has a brilliant futureLaVieEnRose has a brilliant futureLaVieEnRose has a brilliant futureLaVieEnRose has a brilliant futureLaVieEnRose has a brilliant future

lordshade55, has it always been like this? Can you remember a time it wasn't so hard to think?
Old 11-25-10, 03:27 AM
Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurve11 View Post
lordshade55, has it always been like this? Can you remember a time it wasn't so hard to think?

I don't know, but i think i may have this problem since early childhood. It applies to allot of problems i had, including at early school with arithmetic and reading comprehension ( which i'm now good at ).

It's for me depressive since it's absolutely weird, because my speech is allot better when i don't use the time to think. It's like i can't think and talk at the same time. Still, i can solve problems but this is due to just observing patterns and not using your mind.

When i talk it's like ----> a feeling ---> talking ---> thinking
I probably use my right brain allot more then my left brain since i'm rather instinqtual. I can have a feeling about moral decisions, problem solving ( although i need to think about this ofc. since need applying of logicial thinking), verbal and non verbal expressions.

Situtations with people, i usually come up with answers after the discussions or the words just don't pop out.

I thought i could solve this by reading more and actually learning stuff from books and that i should just concentrate harder. The downside of this is fatique ofc. and anxciety of you knowing that this is wrong.

I don't think i have hypothyroidism. For the past 3 months i have a sort of pain in the back but that may be entirely due to something else.

I have also seem to have agression issues so that's why i was refering to a lower amount of serontine/dopamine level .
Saboit (11-26-10)
Old 11-25-10, 04:53 PM

Thanked 1,021 Times in 616 Posts
Tommy Wilhelm has much to be proud ofTommy Wilhelm has much to be proud ofTommy Wilhelm has much to be proud ofTommy Wilhelm has much to be proud ofTommy Wilhelm has much to be proud ofTommy Wilhelm has much to be proud ofTommy Wilhelm has much to be proud ofTommy Wilhelm has much to be proud of

"For my part, the very being tied to what I am to say is enough to loose me from it. When I wholly commit and refer myself to my memory, I lay so much stress upon it that it sinks under me; it grows dismayed with the burden. So much as I trust to it, so much do I put myself out of my own power, even to the finding it difficult to keep my own countenance; and have been sometimes very much put to it to conceal the slavery wherein I was engaged..."

-Montaigne
Old 11-25-10, 07:55 PM
Forum ADDvocate

nova2012 is a splendid one to beholdnova2012 is a splendid one to beholdnova2012 is a splendid one to beholdnova2012 is a splendid one to beholdnova2012 is a splendid one to beholdnova2012 is a splendid one to beholdnova2012 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordshade55 View Post
I don't know, but i think i may have this problem since early childhood. It applies to allot of problems i had, including at early school with arithmetic and reading comprehension ( which i'm now good at ).

It's for me depressive since it's absolutely weird, because my speech is allot better when i don't use the time to think. It's like i can't think and talk at the same time. Still, i can solve problems but this is due to just observing patterns and not using your mind.

When i talk it's like ----> a feeling ---> talking ---> thinking
I probably use my right brain allot more then my left brain since i'm rather instinqtual. I can have a feeling about moral decisions, problem solving ( although i need to think about this ofc. since need applying of logicial thinking), verbal and non verbal expressions.

Situtations with people, i usually come up with answers after the discussions or the words just don't pop out.

I thought i could solve this by reading more and actually learning stuff from books and that i should just concentrate harder. The downside of this is fatique ofc. and anxciety of you knowing that this is wrong.

I don't think i have hypothyroidism. For the past 3 months i have a sort of pain in the back but that may be entirely due to something else.

I have also seem to have agression issues so that's why i was refering to a lower amount of serontine/dopamine level .
It sounds a lot like SCT/ADHD-I. The low dopamine is inherent to the disorder. Low serotonin is implicated in a number of disorders, including OCD and depression (and bipolar depression). Norepinephrine is responsible (at least, as far as neurotransmitters go) for much of our attention and cognition, and it's one neurotransmitter that certain anti-depressants (SNRIs) target. Most of them target serotonin, though (SSRIs).

As far as your aggression, that could be a result of many different things: for one, your frustration with dealing with this for your whole life--certainly a an understandable reaction. If it's excessive and borders on uncontrollable, though, there could be something else going on: perhaps an anxiety disorder or a mood disorder (major depression or bipolar spectrum disorders), or a personality disorder (borderline tends to include anger bordering on rage as one of its principal features). But I'd really recommend seeing a qualified counselor/therapist/psychiatrist so you can iron out exactly what's going on and get treatment for it. Living with ADHD alone is hard enough; comorbid disorders exacerbate it enormously.
Old 11-25-10, 08:00 PM
Banned

Thanked 2,073 Times in 931 Posts
LaVieEnRose has a brilliant futureLaVieEnRose has a brilliant futureLaVieEnRose has a brilliant futureLaVieEnRose has a brilliant futureLaVieEnRose has a brilliant futureLaVieEnRose has a brilliant futureLaVieEnRose has a brilliant futureLaVieEnRose has a brilliant futureLaVieEnRose has a brilliant futureLaVieEnRose has a brilliant futureLaVieEnRose has a brilliant future

Quote:
Is this something you remember from your childhood/growing up years also?

I know I was experiencing aphasia and trouble thinking for probably the last 6 months. Thanks to a good friend on this forum, who took an interest in helping me out, we pinpointed it had been a slow decline since I'd started taking a benzo for sleep! It's incredible how much my speech and cognitive function have improved just in the last few weeks weening off it. I don't know if any meds could be contributing? Just a thought.

Quote:
I don't think this is necessarily wrong at all! But over-doing it to the point of fatigue is no good. Several people here have talked about Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and how beneficial it's been for them. Again, just throwing out suggestions.
Quote:
Worth a check though, right? I finally got diagnosed with a thyroid problem after suffering various symptoms for over 10 years! That can be just miserable.

Since you believe it to be depressive related, have you tried some anti-depressants? Are you on meds for ADHD? Whatever the cause, I'm confident it can be helped! Best of luck!!
The Following User Says Thank You to LaVieEnRose For This Useful Post:
avjgirsijdhtjhs (11-26-10)
Old 11-26-10, 12:20 AM

Scotter has a spectacular aura aboutScotter has a spectacular aura about

Is it only when you speak out loud?
How is it writing?

Could it be anxiety related?
Old 11-26-10, 12:49 PM
Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurve11 View Post
Is this something you remember from your childhood/growing up years also?

I know I was experiencing aphasia and trouble thinking for probably the last 6 months. Thanks to a good friend on this forum, who took an interest in helping me out, we pinpointed it had been a slow decline since I'd started taking a benzo for sleep! It's incredible how much my speech and cognitive function have improved just in the last few weeks weening off it. I don't know if any meds could be contributing? Just a thought.

I don't think this is necessarily wrong at all! But over-doing it to the point of fatigue is no good. Several people here have talked about Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and how beneficial it's been for them. Again, just throwing out suggestions.

Worth a check though, right? I finally got diagnosed with a thyroid problem after suffering various symptoms for over 10 years! That can be just miserable.

Since you believe it to be depressive related, have you tried some anti-depressants? Are you on meds for ADHD? Whatever the cause, I'm confident it can be helped! Best of luck!!

* I do remember things, mostly sad experiences. My mind keeps refreshing it so it reminds me of what i did wrong. My biggest fear is this actually.

I have carefully planned this out. I can in a way look into my future and rationalize what's going to happen.

If nothing changes ( the most unlikely if you would DO something about this): I would be depressed , blame myself, more depression and fear about every little thing of life. In the end i would rather die and would likely commit suicide. I am possible certain i would do this, since i can rationalize well enough to see this happening to me. Nobody would really put sense into me about this. I just can't live with it. Atm. I'm well.. between the line of living and dying. Hope is what keeps me standing actually.

I am really fearfull of death but so does living atm. Between the fence of both sides, i am.

That's why i have 2 plans.

1. Apply knowledge, obsess yourselve about anything you want to learn. Find a way to clear the fog, to create knowledge so that i don't have to be afraid anymore. Learn books and study. I promised i would start before next year. I must do so but the only thing that keeps me in a gripe is fear that nothing will improve.

2. See 1, if 1 succeeds at even the basis of my plan. I will go to australia, even if parents will refuse, if they try to hold me back. I will travel the world though backpacking. I will take a giant leap of risk and anything could happen including breaking a leg and die loney or getting poisoned but at the same time i could learn allot and gain more insight of who i am.

From one's other point of view this may sound black and white/narrow minded but it's not. I experienced to much sadness and i am deffo not happy with myself or my 19 years of living, infact, i hate it. I couldn't live with having a low potential and capacitity ( Intelligence) or being afraid all the time. That's not my idea of LIFE!

* About learning: I will learn it myself, though time and reasoning. I disgust hand holding ( a personal opinion, i 'm a perfectionist)

Edit: I'm certain learning will help. I will tell you the truth. The past 10 years i spend most of my time behind a pc ( not litteral , but you probably understand), i know of a memory in primary grade, that i just wrote things up randomly. I did to show the teachers i was doing homework, while i actually did none of it. This has been the case most of my life. That's why learning will help and it may be the cause why idon't have many thoughts, maybe it's because my brain has not evolved , grown and is lazy. And that due to depression and other factors it has shut itself down.
Saboit (11-26-10)
Old 11-26-10, 01:02 PM

Saboit is a name known to allSaboit is a name known to allSaboit is a name known to allSaboit is a name known to allSaboit is a name known to allSaboit is a name known to all

Thank you!
You are me, everything you say is exactly what I want, my plans. EVERYTHING!

Im also certain learning will help me, but I just don't know how to do it because I cant learn. I tell my self I must learn, I want to but it doesn't help.

Quote:
maybe it's because my brain has not evolved , grown and is lazy. And that due to depression and other factors it has shut itself down.
Thank you!
we have the same **** brain

Quote:
i spend most of my time behind a pc
Yes Yes, but its not becase I want, its because I cant do anything else.

I wont quote more, but you understand me.
Old 11-26-10, 01:10 PM
Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saboit View Post
Thank you!
You are me, everything you say is exactly what I want, my plans. EVERYTHING!

Im also certain learning will help me, but I just don't know how to do it because I cant learn. I tell my self I must learn, I want to but it doesn't help.

Thank you!
we have the same **** brain

Yes Yes, but its not becase I want, its because I cant do anything else.

I wont quote more, but you understand me.
Are you manipulative? Instinqtual? Visual minded? Obsessive ? Watch the same video over and over? Know that you are not dumb because something is holding you back? Agressive?

Impossible to have the same brain or even it's similarities, they should be different. So i don't know how i react to learning or reading books. You must not read them but learn like you experienced something new. Reading=/learning. You should put every minute of your time into learning. I'm sure meds are not the only option available. Otherways, go to a doctor directly. I refuse to believe somethings can't change.
Old 11-26-10, 01:12 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

itsanADHDthing has much to be proud ofitsanADHDthing has much to be proud ofitsanADHDthing has much to be proud ofitsanADHDthing has much to be proud ofitsanADHDthing has much to be proud ofitsanADHDthing has much to be proud ofitsanADHDthing has much to be proud ofitsanADHDthing has much to be proud ofitsanADHDthing has much to be proud ofitsanADHDthing has much to be proud of

you sir, are lucky

well, about being able to have a blank mind.

mine never shuts up.
Old 11-26-10, 01:15 PM
Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsanADHDthing View Post
you sir, are lucky

well, about being able to have a blank mind.

mine never shuts up.
IronicLY, it causes distress, fear and allot of worrying, making you seem tired, chaotic and impulsive, which is the opposite of calm and blank.

Nothing to be proud of m8.