ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > Forums Help, Q&A
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-10, 10:02 AM
Contributor

tweetiebirdk has disabled reputation
is there an etiquette for dealing with trolls?

I got a P message from one sent about 2 wks ago and they had troll under their avator too (??) . Does one just ignore such persons or does one respond .

i replied ith I hope you rot in hell for ever more ( Im on ssris and i feel very p*ssed at things )
Old 12-02-10, 10:05 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

PixiePlumber is just really nicePixiePlumber is just really nicePixiePlumber is just really nicePixiePlumber is just really nice
Re: is there an etiquette for dealing with trolls?

There is a rule: Do not feed the troll.

It is best to ignore them entirely. My friend comes across them all the time and says this is the best way for most people to get around it.

Yeah they're really annoying aren't they
The Following User Says Thank You to PixiePlumber For This Useful Post:
tweetiebirdk (12-05-10)
Old 12-02-10, 10:10 AM
ADDvanced Member

Killface1981 will become famous soon enough

Well, did he say something offensive or troll-like? If the person is a true troll, he'll never admit to it, and feeds off any response. That's how trolls win... they laugh at people who take them seriously, get upset and defend whatever the troll is dissing, and just likes to get everyone fighting and cause disorder and entropy. So it's odd that he'd admit he's a troll, and actually send you a private message.

"Chaos is great! Chaos is what killed the dinosaurs, darling." - Heathers
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Killface1981 For This Useful Post:
peripatetic (12-02-10), tweetiebirdk (12-05-10)
Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-10, 10:16 AM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killface1981 View Post
Well, did he say something offensive or troll-like? If the person is a true troll, he'll never admit to it, and feeds off any response. That's how trolls win... they laugh at people who take them seriously, get upset and defend whatever the troll is dissing, and just likes to get everyone fighting and cause disorder and entropy. So it's odd that he'd admit he's a troll, and actually send you a private message.

"Chaos is great! Chaos is what killed the dinosaurs, darling." - Heathers
Y a he said offensive troll stuff. He had troll in type under his/her name ...it was pretty obvious what his intentions were ...I doubt he would have put 'Troll' there himself though instead of ... ?..' Helpful Advanced Forum Advocate in Disguise ' but who knows , maybe hes proud of it.

i dont care but Im p*ssed about everything in recent days I wasnt in the mood for the 'just ignore ' them rule
Old 12-02-10, 11:58 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 23,674 Times in 10,947 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

I report people who are deliberately offensive - especially when it's targetted - and sending a private message is clearly a targetted attack. I'm pretty sure the people who run this forum don't want those kind of shennigans. But I've never seen anyone admit they were trolling or actually sign something "Troll." That's kinda odd.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
EYEFORGOT (12-02-10), Imnapl (12-04-10), novagal (12-02-10), peripatetic (12-02-10), tinywiney (12-02-10), tweetiebirdk (12-05-10)
Old 12-02-10, 12:00 PM
ADDvanced Member

huntley has a spectacular aura abouthuntley has a spectacular aura about

h4x 7h0s3 n00bz

✄- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

In the absence of clearly defined goals, we become strangely loyal to engaging in daily acts of trivia.
Old 12-02-10, 12:05 PM

excel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to behold

what is a troll?
Old 12-02-10, 12:23 PM

Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by excel View Post
what is a troll?
Quote:
The term derives from "trolling", a style of fishing which involves trailing bait
through a likely spot hoping for a bite. The troll posts a message, often in response
to an honest question, that is intended to upset, disrupt or simply insult the group.
read more here: Internet Trolls

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
tweetiebirdk (12-05-10)
Old 12-02-10, 12:33 PM

Thanked 8,346 Times in 3,313 Posts
salleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond repute

I see a troll as someone who comes here with an agenda that includes denying that ADHD is a disorder, anddenying that medications work ( references to "big pharma" as an entity that exists to con money out of naive people, are a clue, )

......Now ordinarily the best method to dealing with trolls is to ignore them, but on this site, we have, as a usual rule, at least 10 visitors for every member who is online....often times a much higher ratio than that....This forum puts out an enourmous amount of information about ADD/ADHD....and when a troll shows up here, I think it is a good idea to politely show then the error of ther ways ......

......That is to say, we defend the view of ADD as being an actual disorder, that medications work, that it is not caused by bad parenting, and many other wrong-headed nonsense that trolls espouse......and this is important so that visitors do not go away thinking that the trolls are correct......

.......check out the numbers at the bottom of the forums list......the numbers are huge......it is not unnusual to have a thousand people online here at any time ......so it's important that they learn truth here as best as we can show.....

.......I will often look for threads that have a troll-like title, to make sure they are outed as soon as possible ......it has taken me a while to learn to do it without getting angry and jumping down their throats......but I am getting better at it ....
because I feel strongly that people looking for information get the truth

....This isn't life in the fast lane, it's life in the oncoming traffic lane"
Terry Pratchett

....If you're going through hell, ......keep going.....
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to salleh For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (12-02-10), Dizfriz (12-02-10), Imnapl (12-04-10), peripatetic (12-02-10), tinywiney (12-02-10), tweetiebirdk (12-05-10)
Old 12-02-10, 12:45 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by salleh View Post
o politely show then the error of ther ways ......

..and this is important so that visitors do not go away thinking that the trolls are correct......

.......check out the numbers at the bottom of the forums list......the numbers are huge......it is not unnusual to have a thousand people online here at any time ......so it's important that they learn truth here as best as we can show.....
..yeah , I would need to be in a good mood .......and Im not sure how severe my adnd is so Im not sure of my undersatnding of it TBH. Not sure ld bother to make them more informed I would get satisfaction from letting them stay in the dark and continue to expouse their ignorance THE aHOLES - MUCH MORE SATISFYING. They dont deserve the info or the energy as far as Im concerned. I dont care if someone tries to lecture me otherwise about this.

There are lots of people out there who dont believe adhd exists , they can find out for themselves that it does themeselves they dont deserve my time to help them.
Old 12-02-10, 01:00 PM

Thanked 4,969 Times in 2,474 Posts
novagal has a brilliant futurenovagal has a brilliant futurenovagal has a brilliant futurenovagal has a brilliant futurenovagal has a brilliant futurenovagal has a brilliant futurenovagal has a brilliant futurenovagal has a brilliant futurenovagal has a brilliant futurenovagal has a brilliant futurenovagal has a brilliant future

And had been said, it's best to not feed the troll. They're not so concerned about winning an argument or proving a point - it's getting a reaction that is satisfying to them.

If someone is contacting you personally in this manner, *please* bring this to the attention of a moderator (any moderator) via PM.
Even if I didn't use it in the house?
- Bill Waterson (Calvin and Hobbes)
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to novagal For This Useful Post:
EYEFORGOT (12-02-10), Imnapl (12-04-10), peripatetic (12-02-10), tinywiney (12-02-10), tweetiebirdk (12-05-10)
Old 12-02-10, 01:01 PM

While I agree that correcting misinformation is better than sticking a boot up their butt, I'm not so sure that everyone who denies that ADHD is a disorder or has strong reservations about medications for treating ADHD is automatically a troll.

I've seen some folks who were glad to get more information so they could see the whole picture and not just the scare stories that the media tends to plaster where everyone can them.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
EYEFORGOT (12-02-10), peripatetic (12-02-10), tinywiney (12-02-10), tweetiebirdk (12-05-10)
Old 12-02-10, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetiebirdk View Post
..yeah , I would need to be in a good mood .......and Im not sure how severe my adnd is so Im not sure of my undersatnding of it TBH. Not sure ld bother to make them more informed I would get satisfaction from letting them stay in the dark and continue to expouse their ignorance THE aHOLES - MUCH MORE SATISFYING. They dont deserve the info or the energy as far as Im concerned. I dont care if someone tries to lecture me otherwise about this.

There are lots of people out there who dont believe adhd exists , they can find out for themselves that it does themeselves they dont deserve my time to help them.
But - for every person who has his head screwed on wrong and just wants to tell us we're lazy and drug-seeking - there are possbily up to a dozen or more who are just lurking to see what they can learn or just found the forum and don't know very much yet. Those are the people who I'm sharing information for.

Someone took the time to set up this forum and someone took the time to post here so that I could see the whole picture for myself when I was first learning about ADHD - I'm just paying it forward, eh?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (12-02-10), novagal (12-02-10), peripatetic (12-02-10), tinywiney (12-02-10)
Old 12-02-10, 04:24 PM
can't remember diddly

Thanked 6,053 Times in 3,092 Posts
EYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond repute

I'll ditto novagal in an official capacity:

Please report any abuse of guidelines or problem private messages to moderators/administrators.

You may send a pm or use the exclamation (!) point inside the red triangle at the top right of a post. Please be detailed: a copy of the pm, etc.

We want all members to have the support they need and feel safe to contribute here.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to EYEFORGOT For This Useful Post:
Imnapl (12-04-10), peripatetic (12-02-10), tinywiney (12-02-10), tweetiebirdk (12-05-10)
Old 12-02-10, 04:26 PM

Thanked 1,482 Times in 752 Posts
SuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant future

I flame the hell out of em privately....
...I've gotten in trouble here for flaming before, so I don't do it on the board.

Syd Barrett
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SuzzanneX For This Useful Post:
EYEFORGOT (12-06-10), salleh (12-03-10), tweetiebirdk (12-05-10)