ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-10, 10:18 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Saboit is a name known to allSaboit is a name known to allSaboit is a name known to allSaboit is a name known to allSaboit is a name known to allSaboit is a name known to all
How does hyper-focus feel?

I read replies that thread and I was thinking to myself that I have never felt hyper-focus.

I mean, when I do something interesting I should be hyper-focused but I dont know if i actually am, I get distracted easily even when reading, learning, doing something interesting...

Maybe I have sever ADHD?
The Following User Says Thank You to Saboit For This Useful Post:
Icecream (12-19-10)
Old 12-02-10, 10:26 AM
Reptilian Overmod

Thanked 15,029 Times in 6,230 Posts
Fortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How does hyper-focus feel?

Sometimes, it feels like constant stimulation. Like the reward centers are being triggered repeatedly. Or like my entire brain is engaged in one thing and everything else disappears - the world may as well not even exist.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fortune For This Useful Post:
Icecream (12-19-10), lynette19775 (12-17-10)
Old 12-02-10, 10:45 AM

Saboit is a name known to allSaboit is a name known to allSaboit is a name known to allSaboit is a name known to allSaboit is a name known to allSaboit is a name known to all

i have never felt like this!!
Ahh
I have never been concentrated either.
something is wrong here.

You hyper-focus off meds right?
Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-10, 10:48 AM
Contributor

DarkShadow is just really niceDarkShadow is just really niceDarkShadow is just really niceDarkShadow is just really nice

What I am interpretting to be "hyper-focus" is my tendency to become completely lost and enveloped in something.

For example, when I become interested in a subject, i lose myself in that subject for a period of time. The period of time may be days, weeks, even months. I become immersed in that subject - to various degrees depending on the subject. I think about it constantly, read everything I can on it, write about it, talk about it, and repetitively explain it so that I can make sure I have a working understanding of it. It is a pathological persistence that I can't really control. The subject matter may or may not even be important.

At times I like this because I really learn during this period. Although I rarely retain the information for long periods of time, and usually have to go back and refresh my memory.

However, many times this interfers with me actually doing what needs to be done. For instance, there is another forum that I have posted on for years. It is an intellectual & religious forum where there is often debate of views. I literally become addicted to that forum and often find it near impossible to pull myself away from it so that I can actually do work.

I have spent hours at work posting and debating. The whole time I keep telling myself that I need to break away and finish important tasks, but I can't. I have this compulsive need to continue, even when doing so negatively impacts my work performance. If I do manage to break away, I am usually right back to it within half an hour.

Work bores me. I get extremely restless sitting at my desk all day. I usually work for about 5 - 10 minutes and then I have to walk around, or find something else to do. There are times when I am working on a project, posting on a forum, researching some topic I am lost in, checking facebook on my iPhone, playing a game on my iPhone, and making a phone call. All within 20 minutes! This happens continually throughout the day. it is compulsive and habitual. It eats up hours of my day, and stops me from being productive.

My medications have helped a lot in this area. I haven't posted on that forum in over a month. I can complete tasks. I still need to walk around periodically, and I often take breaks to research something on the internet, but it is less frequent and I am able to pull myself away easier. In fact yesterday I finished a project that I started back in June! A project that would have taken someone else probably two days to complete. It took me about 6 months, but I was exstatic that I even finished it! Of course, I can't tell my bosses because they wouldn't share my joy. They would wonder why it wasn't done months ago.

This is why I wish I could "hyper focus" on things I should be doing. If I can lose myself in work projects, and important topics, as much as I do in other things, then I would have no problem being "out of the park" productive.

So, how does it feel? To me it is a compulsive drive to continue doing something despite the positive or negative impact it has on other areas of my life. It is an inability to stop, even when I know I need to.
Icecream (12-19-10), livingpharaoh (12-18-10), markadd (12-02-10)
Old 12-02-10, 10:51 AM
Reptilian Overmod

Fortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond repute

I do hyperfocus off meds. I think I hyperfocused more on ephedra, but I haven't had any prescribed stimulants.
Old 12-02-10, 11:02 AM
ADDvanced Member

huntley has a spectacular aura abouthuntley has a spectacular aura about

Sure you have, I'll wager you hyperfocus on daydreaming all the time

✄- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

In the absence of clearly defined goals, we become strangely loyal to engaging in daily acts of trivia.
The Following User Says Thank You to huntley For This Useful Post:
Fortune (12-02-10)
Old 12-02-10, 12:16 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Marspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond repute

None of you have ever sat down for hours and hours on the computer?
The Following User Says Thank You to Marspider For This Useful Post:
Judia (12-17-10)
Old 12-02-10, 12:30 PM
Reptilian Overmod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marspider View Post
Five and a half and counting for me today.

I did manage to get breakfast at least.
Old 12-02-10, 12:34 PM
Contributor

DarkShadow is just really niceDarkShadow is just really niceDarkShadow is just really niceDarkShadow is just really nice

Quote:
Of course. But not for things that I should. I can spend hours posting on forums, researching various topics, and get so immersed that I am oblivious to things around me.

But at work, I can't sit more than 5 minutes at my computer without becoming agitated inside and needing to shift attention, or get up and move around.

work doesn't stimulate me enough to keep my attention. Extracurricular subjects, that have no bearing on life or work, seem to though.
Old 12-02-10, 12:43 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Marspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond repute

Well, that's hyperfocus.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jac79 View Post
Of course. But not for things that I should. I can spend hours posting on forums, researching various topics, and get so immersed that I am oblivious to things around me.

But at work, I can't sit more than 5 minutes at my computer without becoming agitated inside and needing to shift attention, or get up and move around.

work doesn't stimulate me enough to keep my attention. Extracurricular subjects, that have no bearing on life or work, seem to though.
Old 12-02-10, 12:49 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Well, that's hyperfocus.
Exactly. Hence my rather long explanation of how it affects me, and how it feels.

Quote:
What I am interpretting to be "hyper-focus" is my tendency to become completely lost and enveloped in something.

For example, when I become interested in a subject, i lose myself in that subject for a period of time. The period of time may be days, weeks, even months. I become immersed in that subject - to various degrees depending on the subject. I think about it constantly, read everything I can on it, write about it, talk about it, and repetitively explain it so that I can make sure I have a working understanding of it. It is a pathological persistence that I can't really control. The subject matter may or may not even be important.

At times I like this because I really learn during this period. Although I rarely retain the information for long periods of time, and usually have to go back and refresh my memory.

However, many times this interfers with me actually doing what needs to be done. For instance, there is another forum that I have posted on for years. It is an intellectual & religious forum where there is often debate of views. I literally become addicted to that forum and often find it near impossible to pull myself away from it so that I can actually do work.

I have spent hours at work posting and debating. The whole time I keep telling myself that I need to break away and finish important tasks, but I can't. I have this compulsive need to continue, even when doing so negatively impacts my work performance. If I do manage to break away, I am usually right back to it within half an hour.

Work bores me. I get extremely restless sitting at my desk all day. I usually work for about 5 - 10 minutes and then I have to walk around, or find something else to do. There are times when I am working on a project, posting on a forum, researching some topic I am lost in, checking facebook on my iPhone, playing a game on my iPhone, and making a phone call. All within 20 minutes! This happens continually throughout the day. it is compulsive and habitual. It eats up hours of my day, and stops me from being productive.

My medications have helped a lot in this area. I haven't posted on that forum in over a month. I can complete tasks. I still need to walk around periodically, and I often take breaks to research something on the internet, but it is less frequent and I am able to pull myself away easier. In fact yesterday I finished a project that I started back in June! A project that would have taken someone else probably two days to complete. It took me about 6 months, but I was exstatic that I even finished it! Of course, I can't tell my bosses because they wouldn't share my joy. They would wonder why it wasn't done months ago.

This is why I wish I could "hyper focus" on things I should be doing. If I can lose myself in work projects, and important topics, as much as I do in other things, then I would have no problem being "out of the park" productive.

So, how does it feel? To me it is a compulsive drive to continue doing something despite the positive or negative impact it has on other areas of my life. It is an inability to stop, even when I know I need to.
Old 12-02-10, 01:10 PM

(Forgive me, its because my English is not my native + severe adhd)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortune View Post
Sometimes, it feels like constant stimulation. Like the reward centers are being triggered repeatedly. Or like my entire brain is engaged in one thing and everything else disappears - the world may as well not even exist.
My entire brain has never been engaged in one thing. I cant focus on one thing. even if it is inserting I will have about other unrelated thoughts in my head.
And I tell you, I have never never never felt like the world doesn't exist, disappears, which is the feeling of concentration.

Quote:
What I am interpreting to be "hyper-focus" is my tendency to become completely lost and enveloped in something.

However, many times this interferes with me actually doing what needs to be done. For instance, there is another forum that I have posted on for years. It is an intellectual & religious forum where there is often debate of views. I literally become addicted to that forum and often find it near impossible to pull myself away from it so that I can actually do work.

I agree with you that the subject may not even be important at all...
Could you please explain "enveloped in something" and lost..
The problem is that while you describe it as completely focused in something, in my case I, like you, will be obsessive about it but not to the extent of being completely concentrated that you seem to be when hyper-focused.

It always does, we aren't interested in what should be done, say the important things...
As you describe it I think I am actually like you, but all the time!
I cant pull myself away, rarely can and then after 5mins I go back.

You do everything you like but not the important things for you life, thats ADHD!
all the important things are boring so we just cant do them, they require thinking and using the brain - adhder simply cant do it all together.
its alot easier to do stuff like facebook, you don't have to be smart to do its not hard and challenging, you dont need to use your brain to surf the internet...
you know what i mean...

cant you now concentrate when you take meds? so you don't need it hyper-focus...
meds are for focus
If work bores you its a problem because you need to love what you do, even normal wont be ""out of the park" productive" if work bores them...

I like your conclusion, i guess i do do it but i have never felt like the world doesn't exist - sounds amazingly amazing.

Quote:
I do hyperfocus off meds. I think I hyperfocused more on ephedra, but I haven't had any prescribed stimulants.

you can because its focus booster

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntley View Post
Sure you have, I'll wager you hyperfocus on daydreaming all the time

YEAH THATS TRUE!! well I already know i do but apparently there is something wrong in my brain so its not a complete hyper focus.
so i get distracted easily and frequent memory leaks are the result...

Quote:
Yes I have, of course 8 hours

Quote:
Five and a half and counting for me today.

I did manage to get breakfast at least.
4 hours and counting
Old 12-02-10, 01:28 PM
Reptilian Overmod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saboit View Post
My entire brain has never been engaged in one thing. I cant focus on one thing. even if it is inserting I will have about other unrelated thoughts in my head.
And I tell you, I have never never never felt like the world doesn't exist, disappears, which is the feeling of concentration.
Maybe it is, I do not know. Do you know? I mean, how would you know? I can't really stop when I start, only interruptions can break it up. I can't ever do it on purpose. Well... I can't ever prompt focus on purpose, I can do things that cause me to focus but I mean my ability to focus on video games is entirely irrelevant to the majority of things I would like to do. And I get that level of concentration when I have multiple things to keep track of. Otherwise my brain isn't fully engaged, and I can go off-task more easily, if not deliberately.

Quote:
you can because its focus booster
Yes, that's why I was taking them. You asked about meds and I tried to answer to the best of my ability.
Old 12-02-10, 02:11 PM

Thanked 4,517 Times in 1,784 Posts
Sandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond repute

For me it is a bit of a high. It happens more off meds than on, but usually after I've gone 24 hours or more without sleep, so I think that then adrenaline is substituting as the stimulant.

I can't recreate it by using meds. It's much better than meds. And I CAN do it with respect to work and use it to produce work product. I just don't seem to be able to control it. So it "happens" to me as a deadline looms.

When it happens, I can work for 36 hours straight. I'll only break to use the bathroom and grab a soda or some sort of high sugar food. Peanut M&Ms are a favorite. I'm very sugar-addicted when I do this.

This may not be mere "hyperfocus." It may be hypomania. I've been diagnosed as cyclothymic because of these symptoms.

But it's not at all unpleasant. I really enjoy it when I'm in it. And I'm extremely creative and "on" when I'm in it.

I can do it on unproductive things, too, like the forum, or some problem like my horse's illness, or work or marital problems, etc. Then it's not fun because I want to stop and can't.

I was dreamin' when I wrote this. So sue me if I go too fast. ~ 1999, Prince, 1982.
Old 12-02-10, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Maybe it is, I do not know. Do you know? I mean, how would you know? I can't really stop when I start, only interruptions can break it up. I can't ever do it on purpose. Well... I can't ever prompt focus on purpose, I can do things that cause me to focus but I mean my ability to focus on video games is entirely irrelevant to the majority of things I would like to do. And I get that level of concentration when I have multiple things to keep track of. Otherwise my brain isn't fully engaged, and I can go off-task more easily, if not deliberately.

Yes, that's why I was taking them. You asked about meds and I tried to answer to the best of my ability.

evenwhen playing video games that I really love to I dont get to this level of hyper-focus. i dont undertsand it . maybe i dont have adhd and some other kind of a disorder but not adhd.

its horrible, it seems to help you very much for all of you but i dont feel it. i dont know why, & its even better than meds so **** worst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy4957 View Post
For me it is a bit of a high. It happens more off meds than on, but usually after I've gone 24 hours or more without sleep, so I think that then adrenaline is substituting as the stimulant.

I can't recreate it by using meds. It's much better than meds. And I CAN do it with respect to work and use it to produce work product. I just don't seem to be able to control it. So it "happens" to me as a deadline looms.

When it happens, I can work for 36 hours straight. I'll only break to use the bathroom and grab a soda or some sort of high sugar food. Peanut M&Ms are a favorite. I'm very sugar-addicted when I do this.

This may not be mere "hyperfocus." It may be hypomania. I've been diagnosed as cyclothymic because of these symptoms.

But it's not at all unpleasant. I really enjoy it when I'm in it. And I'm extremely creative and "on" when I'm in it.

I can do it on unproductive things, too, like the forum, or some problem like my horse's illness, or work or marital problems, etc. Then it's not fun because I want to stop and can't.
tell me how you do it and why I cant!!!!!!!
everyone here can and i CANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!