ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Learning Disabilities (LD)
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-10, 08:01 PM
ADDvanced Member

mrsmith will become famous soon enough
NVLD and ADHD combination

I have the IQ profile of NVLD, though when I read the description, I don't feel the attention to detail thing fits, though that would be the case for everybody "with ADHD" I think. And NVLD and attention problems are supposed to be "comorbid", so it should be a normal combination.

For example I think NVLDers are supposed to be able to read an instruction and then "just do it", I am much more read, try, find out what I didn't understand, go back to the instructions.......

So what does "ADHD" with NVLD attention to details look like? Are they good at spelling? Can they proofread a document?

Or is there a distinct NVLD/ADHD group who don't have these problems?
Old 12-12-10, 07:31 PM
Nondescript Moderator

Thanked 6,566 Times in 2,692 Posts
APSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond repute
Re: NVLD and ADHD combination

I have NVLD or perhaps more accurately a NVLD, my diagnosis is technically 'LD-NOS - Visual memory impairment' and also ADHD.

I *do* have excellent attention to detail in some respects. Proofreading/editing is a definite strength, and certain kinds of instructions I can just do after reading, basically any that don't involve spatial/visual concepts. Directions to get someplace, for example, I basically have to be looking at constantly.

On the other hand, while proofreading/editing for grammar/style/etc. I can sometimes fail to notice that I left out an entire section. I'm also horribly messy generally, and can't seem to organize things well. I'm particularly horrible with scheduling, keeping track of appointments and avoiding making overlapping ones, etc..
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to APSJ For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (09-12-12), Crazygirl79 (08-16-13), Imnapl (12-12-10), mrsmith (12-18-10)
Old 09-12-12, 01:54 AM

Thanked 1,992 Times in 1,109 Posts
Crazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: NVLD and ADHD combination

I have the IQ profile of NVLD

So do I!! I also have ADHD and Aspergers, my reading, spelling are much better than my mathematical and visual spatial awareness skills, my attention to detail is still very good and some people call me a detective lol but my ability to concentrate overall is significantly impaired. I guess everyone with this same diagnostic combination is different.

Selena
Sponsored Links