ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Vyvanse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine dimesylate)

Old 12-13-10, 12:50 PM

eckk is on a distinguished road
Does Vyvanse last too long for you?

Hi folks,

How many of you experience the full 16 hrs of Vyvanse?
After almost 9 months on it, I'm coming to accept that it just doesn't work for me in respect to schedule.

I'm a shift worker and find that I really need to time my medication to be taken as soon as possible. I'll usually feel the drop after about 12 hours and it will feel like vyvanse has totally worn off. The problems come if I try to go to sleep before the 16 hours .. I'll basically sleep for 4-5 hours and then will be totally awake for 1 hour.

I'm an 8-hour sleeper so 16+8, 24 hrs and I'm a shift worker. If I end up working an extended tour and in turn take my meds later the next day but still go to bed at the same time, I'm in for a crappy sleep.

I can't afford sleep deprivation in my line of work so I'm curious if there are any other shift workers here on this meds and how they deal with the meds? paramedics, ER nurses or law enforcement?

-ecl
Old 12-14-10, 07:26 PM

jsk302 is on a distinguished road
Re: Does Vyvanse last too long for you?

Well, this is only my first day with Vyvanse, so my contribution probably doesn't hold much weight, but I have experienced quite the opposite. It only lasted for a couple of hours, and now I've "crashed"...I have a pounding headache and just want to go to bed! I work in a hospital, 12-hour days, and I don't want to deal with this rollercoaster, up-and-back-down business in the middle of my shift. I had today off, which is why I chose to start today; I wanted to see how it would run its course and what it would do to me before I went and worked with patients all day.

Anyway, that's been my experience so far. Pretty insignificant, but I thought I'd throw that out there! Sorry I can't be of more help. Good luck!
Old 12-15-10, 11:19 PM

PrairieGrasses will become famous soon enough

eckk
I also work a rotating 12 hour shift. Usually I work a couple weeks of days then a few weeks of nights. About once a month I work a night in the midst of days or vis versa.

My general sleep routine is fairly unique. When I am on a night rotation but have the night off I will adjust my sleeping so I can sleep with wife at night.
If you are like most folks I work with you probably do a nearly complete day/night reversal when on nights and are awake those nights not at work.

I take the vyvanse before leaving for work on a night shift. By 10-11 hours it has mostly worn off. So far I have not noticed a significant difference in falling asleep. (When on nights I take two daytime naps: about 4 hours when I get home and 2-3 hours before leaving for work again.) In the past 25 years I have never been able to sleep more than 4 hours straight during the day.

Just recently I started using 5mg adderall. I take it when switching from days to nights: Sleep a regular night, take adderall on awakening, nap in afternoon, take vyvanse and go to work. It is either that, or have a no meds morning. I am also experimenting with only taking a little adderall midway through a shift without any vyvanse and will see how I react to that.

It could be that a shorter acting med may give you a little more freedom and a little more control on how and when you medicate yourself for the appropriate period of time.

Good luck coming up with a regimen that fits your life. It may take some time, creativity and a supportive prescribing physician.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-10, 02:49 AM

usm6987 is on a distinguished road

The physical effects for me do last a long time, though I wouldn't say it is "too long". As long as I take my medication shortly after I wake up, I am able to fall asleep at night.

However, that is the problem. Normally I don't take it right when I wake up because I'm normally rushing to get out the door. I normally take it between breakfast and lunch. The later I take my medicine, the more likely I am to have trouble sleeping that night.

After 4-6 hours I feel the "focus" effects of the medication wear off. However, I used to be able to take naps (on Aderall) and I can't anymore because the physical effects are still working on my system. So even though I don't feel "focused" after 4-6 hours, my body has a hard time getting sleepy and tired until about 12 hours after I take the medication.

It isn't a huge deal but it is slightly bothersome. It is aggrevating sometimes to feel like the medicine has worn off, only to lay in bed and realize my mind won't shut off because the meds are still in my system. I wish once I stopped being able to focus, that meant I could also go to sleep.
Old 12-22-10, 04:20 AM
Contributor

aarondev will become famous soon enough

Sir,

Forgive me but this seems a little ridiciculous. Can you not keep your pill bottle on your nighstand with a bottle of water, so that the first thing you do - which lasts by the way less than 30 seconds - is roll out of bed & swallow your respective pill? I'm sorry but saying you don't have long enough to take your medicine in the morning is like saying... no, I can't think of anything else so minute.

On another issue you mentioned, what do you mean by 'physical side effects'? Maybe I misread and have since overlooked but I didn't see any detail here. I'm presuming headaches (which are most common) which presumably you can pop an advil for. If its tics, you can take a Inderal (look it up) for that. Potassium & Magnesium aka bananas and tomatos help. As for making the Vyvanse last longer, try having it with protein (some other thread describes how it sticks to the molecules longer - search it on forums). I've recently taken to having an Odwalla Protein Monster for breakfast which fills me up and is only $4 (in NY for breakfast, that's good).

Insofar as keeping the concentration lasting throughout your shift, are you making sure to take a med holiday at least once a week? According to two pdocs, an np & a gp I spoke to this week, having a day off a week makes a big difference in efficacy. It was suggested on the forum and by the np I saw that people sometimes supplement their Vyvanse with an Adderall midway or towards the end of the expected time they're taking it. Could you afford this?
The Following User Says Thank You to aarondev For This Useful Post:
ana futura (05-05-12)
Old 12-23-10, 10:36 AM

runningman is on a distinguished road

I take it first thing when I wake up, at 6:30am or 7am. I noticed one thing in particular that you said, that if you go to bed before 16 hours, you sleep for a while and then are wide awake. This sounds like what happens to me. My doc was baffled. I have NO problem getting to sleep, but after a few hours of sleep, I'll be up and down multiple times throughout the rest of the night and usually after 6 hours or so, I'm just lying there in bed, wide awake.

Like you, I would prefer to get 8 hours, but have accepted that it's just not likely to happen while I'm taking Vyvanse, and that it's part of the price of the benefits. I have noticed though, for whatever it's worth, that the time when I'm prematurely awake tends to be some of my most creative time, and if I wake up early like that I'll often just go out to my desk and sketch or write down ideas, etc.
Old 12-27-10, 03:56 AM

eckk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningman View Post
I take it first thing when I wake up, at 6:30am or 7am. I noticed one thing in particular that you said, that if you go to bed before 16 hours, you sleep for a while and then are wide awake. This sounds like what happens to me. My doc was baffled. I have NO problem getting to sleep, but after a few hours of sleep, I'll be up and down multiple times throughout the rest of the night and usually after 6 hours or so, I'm just lying there in bed, wide awake.

Like you, I would prefer to get 8 hours, but have accepted that it's just not likely to happen while I'm taking Vyvanse, and that it's part of the price of the benefits. I have noticed though, for whatever it's worth, that the time when I'm prematurely awake tends to be some of my most creative time, and if I wake up early like that I'll often just go out to my desk and sketch or write down ideas, etc.

Well I can officially say that I have given up on my current dose of Vyvanse.

My stress was incredibly high, especially in November and I needed to de-stress.

It is very hard to reduce your stress level when you feel like you could paint the house every day.

I haven't taken vyvanse in 2 weeks now and I feel so much better stress-wise. The straw that broke the camels back was when I went to Ikea and just about lost it in the store. I was fine going in but by the time I was mid-way through and got ping-ponged around 4 times, I was so incredibly irritated and stressed, I could have cried. Seriously, that is NOT normal.

It is odd, now not being on vyvanse, I see how mellow I was. I'm actually enjoying the lack of motivation and focus when it comes to the house and I've found my sex-drive to have come back.

My current position at work makes it a good environment to have ADHD in (you could say that they don't seem as apparent) but my ADHD symptoms clearly shine through in social situations or when I am with my other half.

Vyvanse definitely lasts too long for me and it got to the point where I didn't have that 'calming' feeling.

I don't know if all vyvanse-like drugs will cause me to feel this way or/and something like strattera would be any different.
The Following User Says Thank You to eckk For This Useful Post:
425runner (05-05-12)
Old 05-05-12, 03:10 AM

AsherFlynt is on a distinguished road

Yes...

I have only been taking this drug for 2 days now but in 2 days I have slept about 4 hours why would this be and I am only taking a 20 mg dose.
Old 05-05-12, 10:50 AM
ADDvanced Member

Sir5r1 has a spectacular aura aboutSir5r1 has a spectacular aura about

I didn't like Vyvanse because of the side effects I had at higher dosages.
I lasted a very long time for me typically 14 hours.

For those that don't know Vyvanse is a stimulant bound to an amino acid.
Amino acids are the molecules that make up proteins. Whe bound to the amino acid Vyvanse is inactive. This causes the drug to be slowly activated as it is broken down and the stimulant side of the molecule is activated.

What you eat with Vyvanse had a large effect on its half life.
If you have an acidic meal before taking it the drug is less effective and seems to not last as long. While an alkaline meal has the opposite effect and increases effectiveness and duration.
I found if I had a protein breakfast and took an anti acid tablet the drug was effective almost until I went to bed. But at least for me, it effected my sleep to the point that I could. It take it anymore. I was sleeping 3 hours a night some nights. There were few nights I didn't sleep at all.

That is not to say its a bad ADHD drug because it isnt and is the best choice for some but not me.
Ritalin 10mg Afternoon
Zoloft 50mg Evenings
The Following User Says Thank You to Sir5r1 For This Useful Post:
ana futura (05-05-12)
Old 05-05-12, 11:04 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 6,203 Times in 3,051 Posts
ana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond repute

I felt that it lasted too long and messed with my sleep. It also felt uneven to me because of how it interacts with your digestion. I would be able to go to sleep fine, but then wake up four hours later with my mind racing, experiencing terrible rebound symptoms. I've found that I need to deal with my rebound before I go to bed, or I will wake up in the middle of the night.

I'm trying to get my dosage figured out with plain old fashioned dexedrine right now, but so far it works much better. I think just one Dex spansule in the morning works best for me. Dex is the same drug with a different release mechanism, and it makes a huge difference.

I still experience sleep issues sometimes, but it's usually my fault- I took the pill too late or had a beer before I went to bed. With a good diet, good sleep schedule, and minimal caffeine and booze intake the dex works great and I'll sleep fine. I feel very calm and collected on dex in a way I never felt on vyvanse.
Old 05-05-12, 03:52 PM
Contributor

AddYourAll is a jewel in the roughAddYourAll is a jewel in the roughAddYourAll is a jewel in the rough

what are your dosages of dex vs xyvance, I take 80mg adderall and want to try vyvance? is this comparable?
Old 05-05-12, 05:26 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 16,063 Times in 7,248 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I was not fond of the vyvance delivery system. It has to go through your digestive track (because of course! you couldnt possibly abuse it) where as adderall/dexedrine was effective with in 30 minutes.

AND **bleep off**

I carried a watermelon?
Old 05-05-12, 05:49 PM
Forum ADDvocate

425runner has a spectacular aura about425runner has a spectacular aura about

The Vyvanse really messes up with my digestion. About an hour after I take it, my bowels start rumbling and I have 2-3 BM's and upset stomach, so bad I always need Gas-X or charcoal to calm down. The effects last 4-6 hrs for me.
Old 05-07-12, 03:17 PM
ADDvanced Member

Dubwise is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by eckk View Post
Hi folks,

How many of you experience the full 16 hrs of Vyvanse?
After almost 9 months on it, I'm coming to accept that it just doesn't work for me in respect to schedule.

I'm a shift worker and find that I really need to time my medication to be taken as soon as possible. I'll usually feel the drop after about 12 hours and it will feel like vyvanse has totally worn off. The problems come if I try to go to sleep before the 16 hours .. I'll basically sleep for 4-5 hours and then will be totally awake for 1 hour.

I'm an 8-hour sleeper so 16+8, 24 hrs and I'm a shift worker. If I end up working an extended tour and in turn take my meds later the next day but still go to bed at the same time, I'm in for a crappy sleep.

I can't afford sleep deprivation in my line of work so I'm curious if there are any other shift workers here on this meds and how they deal with the meds? paramedics, ER nurses or law enforcement?

-ecl

I am also a shift worker, it is very common for me to have to work a different shift than I am normally scheduled. Additionally my schedule changes to a new shift monthly(used to be every 3 months but then we lost some people and it became monthly).

Vyvanse was really not working out for me for the exact same reasons you described. I switched to adderall IR and it's been GREAT. I have much more control over when I take the dose and for how long it lasts. On days I have to work later I can take it later, additionally I can take it as close to bedtime as 4 hours and still get to sleep and stay asleep.

Vyvanse was s nightmare for me, It took me forever to fall asleep and once I did I was only sleeping about 4-5 hours before I was WIDE awake again. Also it was affective at maintaining focus for me for about 8 hours but then the sleeplessness lasted well beyond that.

Perhaps bring this up to your doctor, tell him about your effective time vs how long it takes for you to fall asleep/stay asleep. It sounds like for you(just as it was for me) vyvanse may not be the correct drug.
Old 05-08-12, 10:19 AM
Fantastic super duper mod

Thanked 1,617 Times in 799 Posts
Michiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a nurse on Vyvanse, 80 mg to be exact.

Do I feel the full 16 hrs of Vyvanse? I'm not sure. I've been on stimulants for about six years, so maybe it's effecting me differently. But if I take the Vyvanse at the beginning of my night shift, I'm ok. I am able to function, and it manages my symptoms just fine. I'm even able to take a quick nap in the middle of my shift.

Defintely follow up with your doctor and tell him/her about your experiences.
The Following User Says Thank You to Michiko74 For This Useful Post:
BR549 (05-09-12)