ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Concerta
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Concerta (methylphenidate) Time released Ritalin - 10 hour long acting tablet.

Old 12-15-10, 06:00 PM
ADDvanced Member

Bikie will become famous soon enough
Concerta 36mg First Day - I Am More Hyper Than Usual - Is This Normal?

After a month long with 18mg and having noticed absolutely nothing, I have today started on 36mg but this give me headache, dry mouth and I actually feel hyper, when Im really ADD inatentive.

Please I need advice, my doctor has given me a prescription to buy concerta up to 72mg which means I can mix
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bikie For This Useful Post:
Abi (12-15-10), lynette19775 (12-17-10)
Old 12-15-10, 06:11 PM
Social Committee Moderator

Thanked 14,287 Times in 7,146 Posts
Abi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Concerta 36mg First Day - I Am More Hyper Than Usual - Is This Normal?

I've never taken Concerta, but I know that wih Ritalin (same chemical, different release method) you have to drink lots of water in order to prevent headaches. Also eat well.

Don't know anything about he *hyperness*. Possibly a transient side effect. I felt "drunk" the first time I took Ritalin, and it was just 10 mg.

[S]pain may have possession of the ball, but we [D]utchies have possession of illegal substances - Sarek

I can't tell [Willem Dafoe] from David Archuleta - Sarek

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to Abi For This Useful Post:
Bikie (12-16-10)
Old 12-15-10, 06:21 PM
ADDvanced Member

Thank you Abi and good luck with the weight loss :-)
Add to my post that today was my 1st day in the office after a week holiday and also drunk a coffee in the morning, I was almost jumping in the chair, I am confused, what if I am not ADD? Wait a second I have been diagnosed by a PhD doctor and lecture researcher in Adult ADHD. I k ow I am arrg I'm panicking
Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-10, 07:06 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,758 Times in 774 Posts
Possum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe you just don't respond well to concerta/ritalin type meds. I didn't and switched to adderall which works better for me.

Also, your jitters may be a response to the increased dose after not taking concerta at all for a week. Give it a few days to see if the hyper feeling will fade away.
The Following User Says Thank You to Possum For This Useful Post:
Bikie (12-16-10)
Old 12-16-10, 04:53 PM
ADDvanced Member

Day 2 on Concerta 36mg. I felt nothing. No improvement but no jittery. I think I was stressed yesterday,
Old 12-16-10, 11:56 PM
Jr Member

LoveAdderall is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikie View Post
Thank you Abi and good luck with the weight loss :-)
Add to my post that today was my 1st day in the office after a week holiday and also drunk a coffee in the morning, I was almost jumping in the chair, I am confused, what if I am not ADD? Wait a second I have been diagnosed by a PhD doctor and lecture researcher in Adult ADHD. I k ow I am arrg I'm panicking
Hi Bikie,

I drank coffee today as well and I'm jumping all over the place. My hands are shaky and I'm all jittery and hyper. I finally realized today that whenever I drink coffee I get like this. No more coffee for me

I should add that when my doctor bumped me up to 36, I felt like ADHD instead of ADD (which I am), would run all over the place and concentration was worse. The doc said the dose was too high and now I'm at 18. Tell the doc about this, you may have too high of a dosage.
The Following User Says Thank You to LoveAdderall For This Useful Post:
Bikie (12-18-10)
Old 12-17-10, 01:27 AM
Contributor

lynette19775 is just really nicelynette19775 is just really nicelynette19775 is just really nicelynette19775 is just really nice

Quote:
After a month long with 18mg and having noticed absolutely nothing, I have today started on 36mg but this give me headache, dry mouth and I actually feel hyper, when Im really ADD inatentive.

Please I need advice, my doctor has given me a prescription to buy concerta up to 72mg which means I can mix
Hi Bikie!!!

I'm on Adderall and as you know it's only been a short time so I really can't be of much help on this topic.

But the other day my husband says to me, "Hey babe, I really like the changes that are going on with you. But I just have to say that you do seem a little bit hyper lately."

I was like, "Baby, I know. I see it. But I've never been the least bit hyper in my entire life! Let me enjoy this for a bit!" lol

Is the "hyper" you are experiencing distressful to you? My "hyper" isn't outrageous or out of control. It's just different for me. But it isn't causing me any distress. I feel good. It's nice to have some energy for once.

I think my husband is just so used to seeing me in a semi-comatose state that my new energetic disposition worries him a bit, lol. He's trying to adjust to all these rapid changes, too, just like I am. It's happening so fast sometimes we don't know what to think. I guess it will just take a little time.

(Which reminds me of a thread I want to start. I'll have to do it tomorrow, I guess. I'm tired now, lol.)

But anyway, Bikie, are you finding being a little bit hyper to be a bad feeling for you then?
Bikie (12-18-10)
Old 12-17-10, 04:32 PM
ADDvanced Member

Hi Lynette/LoveAdderal,

Thank you so much for your feedback, as always I'd very much appreciated.

Today was day three. I have noticed nothing whatsoever. No jittery, hyper or feeling of Bren normal. I had to make a speech in front of several people at the office and as usual I got really nervious, too excited and noticed my heart beat too fast as is usual to me in this ocasions.

I will carry on with my plan, another 4 days on 46mg and 54mg afterwards for a week. I want to do this by the book.

Do you think once I get the right dosis my stressed to speak in public with decrease?

Ps: from my iPhone
Old 12-26-10, 03:19 AM
Jr Member

LoveAdderall is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Hi Lynette/LoveAdderal,

Thank you so much for your feedback, as always I'd very much appreciated.

Today was day three. I have noticed nothing whatsoever. No jittery, hyper or feeling of Bren normal. I had to make a speech in front of several people at the office and as usual I got really nervious, too excited and noticed my heart beat too fast as is usual to me in this ocasions.

I will carry on with my plan, another 4 days on 46mg and 54mg afterwards for a week. I want to do this by the book.

Do you think once I get the right dosis my stressed to speak in public with decrease?

Ps: from my iPhone
Yes, definitely go by the book. These meds can have powerful side-effects.

As to your confidence, I find that my confidence has greatly improved after taking meds. Of course, speaking in public can be difficult for anyone. In my case, I have low confidence professionally when my mind is all muddled. If Concerta is helping you think clearer it will be easier to clearly communicate at work and I'm sure you'll notice and be more confident.

Good luck!
Old 12-26-10, 06:13 AM
ADDvanced Member

Thank you LoveAdderal.

Day 3 on 54mg. As it's Christmas inevitably have drunk a little bit of alcohol and diet coke. Not much as I'm not a heavy drinker but this together with luck of sleep due to family parties and other commitments makes difficult to judge how my meds are going.

I am allowed to up the dosage to 18mg extra, to 72mg. As I'm on holiday I have decided to up the dosage tomorrow instead of waiting a week.

So far, I have noticed NOTHING positive and am slightly anxious to see a change.

Will see...
Old 01-03-11, 10:27 PM

crusty is on a distinguished road

Reading all the recent threads on Concerta... starting tomorrow @ 18, then up to 36 after 4 days. My doc (general practitioner) was initially against stimulants, but today I told her I was tired of trying "may also be used for..." drugs (first Wellbutrin, then Strattera, then nortripyline), having read so much about how stimulants are much more immediately effective (which is why they are a primary treatment... lol). THanksfully she listened, so we'll see how that goes tomorrow!
Old 01-04-11, 12:14 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,318 Times in 1,328 Posts
Trooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond repute

/!\ person takes psychomotor stimulant, tweaks out. /!\

Yes this is normal, you just took speed. This indicates your dose is too high.
Old 01-04-11, 08:29 AM
Banned

Jester is a jewel in the roughJester is a jewel in the roughJester is a jewel in the rough

Quote:

I don't think you win much by increasing the dose. You'll just increase your euphoria. I mean it's good if you spend the night dancing but otherwise it's ultra unproductive and a complete waste of time.

Switch to something else, like Vyvanse, d-amphetamine, Adderall. If you want cheap meds just buy dexedrine (d-amphetamine sulfate H2SO4) IR 5mg.
Old 01-04-11, 08:37 AM

schooled_out is on a distinguished road

BIKIE,
same thing happened to me. It will be this way for the first two days. It sucks, but it will eventually go away and you will reap the benefits of the positive symptoms. No worries...I had heart palpitations, dry mouth, inattentiveness, and anxiety. Two days later, I was calm and focused. Everyone is different, however. Depending on how you trust your doc and how they trust you, you may want to try something different if this persists for more than a week. Also, note as the day goes on you will calm down.

I find that concerta actually works all day long as an energy pill, but it becomes less effective as an ADD pill as time goes on. This is mainly because it is simply a NE (norepinephrine) and DA (dopamine) reuptake inhibitor and not a active pumper of these needed neurotransmitters like adderal or the dexmethamphetamines. Concerta is a methamphetamine, which provides limited but useful results.
The Following User Says Thank You to schooled_out For This Useful Post:
Oeshi823 (01-18-11)
Old 08-10-11, 01:15 AM

TheVision is on a distinguished road

Concerta is not methamphetamine, if you want that look up desoxyn (yikes!) its the same as ritilan, methylfindate or whatever. However its delivery mechanism is different (time released, look it up pretty cool) and its major selling point is it cannot be abused.

Im one day five with this med and absolutlely fed up. It does nothing but calm me down to the extreme and want to stay seated with no organizational intent. Instead of spacing out mid conversation i know am just a million miles away staring with cold piercing eyes. The come down brings no anxiety however my head feels empty and it feels like im screaming "is there anyone in therrrrreeeeee?!?!"

I can see how this would be a wonder drug for a parent with a hyper child but i just feel like im a little kid on this stuff