ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > ADDiction & Substance Abuse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-10, 01:07 PM
Jr Member

BlackouTT is on a distinguished road
Adderall XR Effects in Non ADD/ADHD and People Who Have ADD/ADHD

My friend and I both took adderall xr 30mg unperscribed for college during finals. The drug effected was both differently. When my friend took the pill and it finally kick in, he turned into this mindless non-talkative zomibe who didnt leave the study room at all for almost 16 hours. He also said that he felt rushed and time was going by too fast. He said he felt great but didnt want to leave from studying at all. He also stayed up for two days straight on it and when he finally went to bed and woke up he said he felt very groggy.

As for me when I took the drug for the final it affected me alot differently. When I took it I felt the high that people say the get when they take it like not could bother me and felt great and calm. When it came to time I felt like I had alot of time to study and didn't feel rushed but still wanted to get my studing done. Also when it came to studying I didn't become a zombie but instead I studied my notecards or powerpoints until I got done reading them or studying them and was able to leave walk around, smoke a cigarette, talk to some people and then come right back to studing. Also when it came to sleeping It took awhile for me to sleep but I also had this problem for a long time with sleep but actually was able to sleep the day I took the pill. When I woke up the next moring I felt awake and not groggy like everyother day I wake up.

So my question is How does Adderall XR effect people with and without ADD/ADHD? Also the people with ADD/ADHD that do take Adderall XR can you relate to any of our experiences or is it just how people without ADD/ADHD usually feel like on Adderall XR?
Old 12-18-10, 12:39 AM
ADDvanced Member

XR,SR stoneyend is on a distinguished road
Re: Adderall XR Effects in Non ADD/ADHD and People Who Have ADD/ADHD

Ive been known to give a few out on occasion. My friends tend to start jumping around, rambling on, basically a global increase in excitement. They report they cant sleep at all and a major increase in sexuality.

I dont get any of that or if I did once I cant remember: for me everything slows down, and I actually feel like a person again. But Im referring to methylphenidate and not Adderall
Old 12-18-10, 11:47 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,758 Times in 774 Posts
Possum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond repute

People who do not have ADD take adderall to get high and pull all nighters. Generally, the effect is that they get high and stay up all night.

People who have been diagnosed with ADD often notice that adderall allows them to function.

Thats one major difference.
The Following User Says Thank You to Possum For This Useful Post:
PhilBrittain (01-01-13)
Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-10, 04:26 PM
Banned

Jester is a jewel in the roughJester is a jewel in the roughJester is a jewel in the rough

Adderall not only benefits ADD people lol. You can just be lazy and not want to work, when you take Adderall you are more productive and motivated. One must not discard the effects of stimulants on regular people.
Old 12-19-10, 06:51 PM
ADDvanced Member

Nickis2legit will become famous soon enough

Let me give you this example;
You have 2 jars, both equal size and contain orange juice inside them. One has 1 oz of OJ in it and the other has 20 mL of OJ in it. The OJ represents a persons ability to pay attention/focus/"insert ADD symptom here". So to balance it out we have this synthetic chemical that will cause the jar to produce more OJ than normal. Now the jars have the same amount of OJ inside them, now lets give the pill to the normal jar that already has the normal amount of OJ, guess what will happen the jar will overflow. Anyone can get high off adderall, some only need therapeutic doses (non-ADDers) some will need 3x the recommended dose. I hope that didn't go over anyones head..

"They claim their labors are to build a heaven, yet their heaven is populated by horrors. Perhaps the world is not made. Perhaps nothing is made. A clock without a craftsman. It's too late. Always has been, always will be. Too late."
The Following User Says Thank You to Nickis2legit For This Useful Post:
dogluver358 (08-25-12)
Old 12-30-10, 03:44 PM

rogerdodger91 is just really nicerogerdodger91 is just really nicerogerdodger91 is just really nicerogerdodger91 is just really nice

I agree with nick is legit about getting the "high" from the medication requires a different dose for people with adhd. But i dont believe it affects people with ADHD the same way it does people without it. In my experience people without adhd who take medication will well like the street name implies; "speed" up, will be reading everything they can and cleaning their house jumping from thing to thing, talking a storm, basically hyperfocusing or tweaking on things. For me its like putting on the breaks and driving the speed limit, at higher doses i tend to feel like im on heroine, kinda stuck and yawning. The ADHD hyperactive symptoms are like people on speed, the inattentive ADHD symptoms tend to be on speed in our minds. Constantly having to jump from idea to idea.

In my experience i put it like this, you could be sitting in class reading an article that you have to answer questions for. You start reading, "im reading, im reading, i wonder whats for lunch today, im reading, im reading, hmm did i leave the oven on, im reading im reading, damn that girl is fine. i wonder if she will go on a date, im reading im reading." And then you come to the questions. " aww ****, what the hell did i just read?! Then you try to reread it again while failing just like before. Its our inability to not focus on something boring. Not our willingness to. I used to read the questions first and speed through the articles looking for key words like names or verbs that were related to the question just to be able to pass english tests. For me school was easy when it came to things i like to do. I could take advantage of the fast passed mind set for things like math, because calculations can be done quick. I still have the jumping ideas but im still absorbing what im doing. Its like i put the other thoughts on very low volume while my working thoughts are dominating my consciousness. This is called hyperfocus and can only be used when im truly interested in something. Just like the other thoughts drowned out the boring reading into processing, the hyperfocus thoughts drown out the jumping thoughts from processing almost to the point where you dont realize they are happening. When i take adderall, its like hitting mute on the other thoughts and slowing down to a normal relaxed level of thought. Your thoughts are no longer 3 sentences ahead of your speech causing you to say things wrong. Idk its kinda hard to explain the mind of ADHD because i hear that its different in just about every case. Anybody else think like i do?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rogerdodger91 For This Useful Post:
HarpFish (01-20-13), JavaJunkie37 (02-24-14), Nachons (01-19-13), Plognark (08-27-12), vcatdoor (02-20-13)
Old 02-04-12, 02:54 PM

boondock00 is on a distinguished road

roger you described my mental process to a tee, and i react the same way on adderall, it very calming for me and im able to slow down and actually focus on something instead of being sidetracked
Old 08-24-12, 07:48 PM

pie4fools is on a distinguished road

Hyperactives Have the same insane mind feeling, feeling that you cant use your brain as a resource, And laying down to sleep is hell. You are hyper, and mind is racing.

I know, i am diagnosed ADD Hyperactive. Take 80-120mg adderall IR throughout the day with a 30mg XR at night time to sleep.

Yes i feel Euphoria, but its different. Happens when i change milligrams, and it is the same exact high as weed. Relaxed and everything is good.

The normal doses after the initial Euphoria is feeling calm, no racing thoughts, and an increase in Social Skills, and confidence. Removes every ADD Hyperactive symptom

Just imagine being on an adderall 20mg everyday of your whole life, Hyperactives do have one unique benifit of the disorder. An Extreme unexplained desire to finish a project. Like cleaning your room to perfection, picking up every weed in your backyard, at a young age building tree houses without stopping while other friends loose intrest.

Having this is not fun, and i have not found a good working daily medication.
Old 08-25-12, 09:00 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 16,062 Times in 7,247 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

there is a REason that aderall is do poepular on college campuses, its a strudy drug . those who dont need it can cram for us, it gives us focus.

AND **bleep off**

I carried a watermelon?
Old 08-27-12, 03:00 PM
Contributor

Plognark is a glorious beacon of lightPlognark is a glorious beacon of lightPlognark is a glorious beacon of lightPlognark is a glorious beacon of lightPlognark is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by pie4fools View Post
Hyperactives Have the same insane mind feeling, feeling that you cant use your brain as a resource, And laying down to sleep is hell. You are hyper, and mind is racing.

I know, i am diagnosed ADD Hyperactive. Take 80-120mg adderall IR throughout the day with a 30mg XR at night time to sleep.

Yes i feel Euphoria, but its different. Happens when i change milligrams, and it is the same exact high as weed. Relaxed and everything is good.

The normal doses after the initial Euphoria is feeling calm, no racing thoughts, and an increase in Social Skills, and confidence. Removes every ADD Hyperactive symptom

Just imagine being on an adderall 20mg everyday of your whole life, Hyperactives do have one unique benifit of the disorder. An Extreme unexplained desire to finish a project. Like cleaning your room to perfection, picking up every weed in your backyard, at a young age building tree houses without stopping while other friends loose intrest.

Having this is not fun, and i have not found a good working daily medication.
Wow, yeah, that describes how my brain runs perfectly. As a kid I used to spend 14 hours at a time making things out of legos. Maybe us hyperactives are more prone to hyperfocus? I don't know.

I've pushed myself past my ideal stimulant level to where I've been actually amped up, and it required a bunch of caffeine and a double dose to get there. It was horrible, and I never want to do it again :P
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Plognark For This Useful Post:
DichotOhMy (11-16-13), Flory (08-27-12)
Old 08-27-12, 03:02 PM

Thanked 3,736 Times in 1,962 Posts
Flory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plognark View Post
Wow, yeah, that describes how my brain runs perfectly. As a kid I used to spend 14 hours at a time making things out of legos. Maybe us hyperactives are more prone to hyperfocus? I don't know.

I've pushed myself past my ideal stimulant level to where I've been actually amped up, and it required a bunch of caffeine and a double dose to get there. It was horrible, and I never want to do it again :P
yep ive been there its horrible..i start getting palpitations..usually a combo of lack of sleep + stims + caffeine...
Old 08-28-12, 02:05 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Geno is a glorious beacon of lightGeno is a glorious beacon of lightGeno is a glorious beacon of lightGeno is a glorious beacon of lightGeno is a glorious beacon of light

I'm ADHD-C and I actually overdosed on a stimulant once, and it was the one and only time I've felt "jittery" and "heart palpitations" just from a stimulant. 2-FMA, for all intents and purposes its basically dexedrine only weaker by weight. It comes in a powdered form so I had to measure my doses on a scale, and my scale gave out and told me 800mg was 175mg(a normal, recreational euphoric dose). It actually wasn't that bad, I had a headache from the blood pressure spike and it was uncomfortable being shaky and jumpy for a few hours, but for an amount over 4x the amount I need to feel euphoria it could have gone a lot worse. I wonder if ADHD-C makes you more resistant to stimulants harming you.
Major Depressive Disorder, Atypical.
Mild Panic Disorder.
(Suspected) Borderline Personality Disorder.

I LOVE PHARMACOLOGY! It's interesting learning how eating a chemical can cure diseases, change how you feel/think. I've read countless books, articles, research essays, and etc. on it. If you have an interest in it too or want to have a discussion about it, I'm open to it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Geno For This Useful Post:
DichotOhMy (11-16-13)
Old 11-15-12, 03:24 PM

Loli-derp is on a distinguished road

Hello, I was curious if you guys could tell me if I have ADD or ADHD. I have thought so as I have problems focusing on school work, I constantly have to switch back and forth to something else entertaining. There are other things, but I will leave it at that for now. My boyfriend has ADHD and thus has adderall, so I tried some to see if it worked. Some things I have looked up say there is no difference really on affect between people that actually have ADHD and people that do not. It worked pretty fast, within about half an hour of taking it I started to feel different. First I felt detached from my body in a weird way. I do have depression, so taking it made me feel a bit better than normal (happier). I felt this weird energy in my limbs, but it was completely under my control, wasn't shaky or anything. I didn't have to move around as much as I normally do, I was able to channel all of this feeling into straight homework, which is unusual for me, especially as when i normally feel energetic, i'm off the wall. I also noticed I was not as inhibited socially from saying things and that I talked a bit more than usual. (not a crazy amount, just more than usual, i'm usually a quiet shy person) I did notice my heart beat did raise and i sweated more than usual. I could not sleep that night though, but my boyfriend also takes 50mg pills, which seems to be pretty high from what i'm reading. He experiences some similar things, but i'm not convinced whether it was actually working as if i have ADHD (and should get diagnosed with a smaller dose) or that was just me on speed... Any help trying to figure this out? Since taking it and comparing to how I normally feel, my focus was way better with it, and think I could do better in school, but refuse to take it if it was just speed instead of actual help.

(sorry if this is a double-post, i accidentally hit the enter button when I was just starting the post)
Old 11-16-12, 04:53 AM

Thanked 16,062 Times in 7,247 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Someones reaction to stimulants has nothing to do with whether or not they have adhd.

AND **bleep off**

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
daveddd (11-16-12), immago (07-18-14)
Old 11-27-12, 12:37 PM

Loli-derp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
Someones reaction to stimulants has nothing to do with whether or not they have adhd.

Hmm, I am curious then, if adhd medication as a stimulant works the same whether one has adhd or not, then how does one know if they actually have adhd, or if they are just easily distracted and/or have less will for focus than certain other human conterparts? Maybe it is just a human differential on abilities to concentrate that vary genetically instead of some sort of disorder? Maybe the drugs help everyone to concentrate but those who are more easily distracted are the only ones allowed to legally take them because society wants people to have focus and do their job, but there is nothing 'wrong' or 'unnatural' about it. With all of the technology and quick-paced-ness in society currently, people's attention spans have become shorter, though perhaps we are expected to be more attentive for longer, and when we cannot naturally do this they come up with a societal control drug for increased productivity? Maybe some people expect more out of their lives, and are less easily satisfied, thus they do not focus on things that do not satisfy them, but are forced to, to continue living and are prescribed meds to deal with daily life as we now know it?

Unless someone can give me a better explanation of being able to tell the difference between 'normal' and adhd worlds? Between expected effects and over-the-top effects of stimulants? I am curious, but no one seems to be able to satisfy this question that the two are very different (normal state and adhd state) Not trying to offend anyone, just genuinely curious and searching for answers.

Please help with a reply. let me know if I am too vague or unclear and I will try to better define my questions or thoughts.