ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-10, 03:43 PM
Forum Guru

cantakeitnemore is a name known to allcantakeitnemore is a name known to allcantakeitnemore is a name known to allcantakeitnemore is a name known to allcantakeitnemore is a name known to allcantakeitnemore is a name known to all
Do you think discipline is helpful in ADHD?

Maybe the reason adhd is more prevalent in the modern society(besides more distractions) is because of lack of proper discipline, our parents can't/don't control us like their parents could. Discipline might not cure it but definitely helps. But that's only if the right kind of disciplinary methods are used. Otherwise they'll just add to the suffering even though success might be achieved somehow.
For example: I'm pretty sure my dad has adhd, but he could come so far because my grandpa(as he describes him) was superstrict. He couldn't even talk back to him. He just had to shut up and listen. I'm sure he wishes he could do that with me. He's always nagging me though! He used to tell me to start studying for the next grade in the holidays between 2 grades. Thank God my mum was on my side for that.
So not in my case obviously, but if proper discipline is used, it can be helpful ,right? And more if diagnosed in childhood.
Old 12-17-10, 03:51 PM
I eat shades of red.

Thanked 22,202 Times in 9,398 Posts
Fortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do you think discipline is helpful in ADHD?

I don't believe ADHD is more prevalent today than it was in the past. It is identified more frequently. Before, you were just lazy, stupid, never paying attention, too rambunctious, a troublemaker.

Even with a diagnosis, many still are seen that way.

Also, I don't believe discipline is the magic bullet.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Fortune For This Useful Post:
Dizfriz (12-17-10), Djo77 (12-29-10), fraa (12-17-10), Idisagree (12-18-10), Impetus (12-17-10), Lunacie (12-17-10), Marspider (12-17-10), nixx (12-17-10), tinywiney (12-17-10), Velvetdragon (12-18-10)
Old 12-17-10, 03:58 PM
Forum Guru

cantakeitnemore is a name known to allcantakeitnemore is a name known to allcantakeitnemore is a name known to allcantakeitnemore is a name known to allcantakeitnemore is a name known to allcantakeitnemore is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortune View Post
I don't believe ADHD is more prevalent today than it was in the past. It is identified more frequently. Before, you were just lazy, stupid, never paying attention, too rambunctious, a troublemaker.

Even with a diagnosis, many still are seen that way.

Also, I don't believe discipline is the magic bullet.

I don't believe discipline is the magic bullet either, as I said, it can't cure. But have you NEVER been able to do something better/earlier if there was someone forcing(or a better word) you to do than you would have otherwise ?
Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-10, 04:00 PM
Forum Guru

And how do you expect to be seen after the diagnosis ?
Old 12-17-10, 04:08 PM
Contributor

Canuck223 is a name known to allCanuck223 is a name known to allCanuck223 is a name known to allCanuck223 is a name known to allCanuck223 is a name known to allCanuck223 is a name known to all

All children have differing abilities, but they need to have a benchmark to work towards. I think in many cases, parents today set the bar artificially low. While the days of settling a misdead with dad's belt are gone, I thing some parents are too willing to settle for rude and disobediant behavior.

A child with a specific area of difficulty can be understood for not achieving the same level of respectful behaviour, but he still needs to be held accountable. The world isn't going to unfailingly bend to his needs, so he will need to become accustomed to the needs of the world.

Yes, I apparently did grow up into Ward Cleaver.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Canuck223 For This Useful Post:
Cal_Trask (12-17-10), cantakeitnemore (12-17-10), Djo77 (12-29-10)
Old 12-17-10, 04:21 PM
I eat shades of red.

Fortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantakeitnemore View Post
I don't believe discipline is the magic bullet either, as I said, it can't cure. But have you NEVER been able to do something better/earlier if there was someone forcing(or a better word) you to do than you would have otherwise ?
I'm not sure I understand? There have been circumstances where someone trying to foce me to do something simply made things worse.

I have been able to do work quicker because of deadlines and/or consequences, but these situations also sometimes created more stress and I required more time to recover afterward. In one instance, after rushing to make a deadline with a book contract, I was unable to write anything useful for some time, which caused me to lose multiple other contracts. Admittedly, this was a situation in which I was not aware of my limits, but my point is I have a difficult time viewing this as clear cut.

Quote:
And how do you expect to be seen after the diagnosis ?
The same as before.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fortune For This Useful Post:
Idisagree (12-18-10)
Old 12-17-10, 04:22 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 25,728 Times in 12,006 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck223 View Post
All children have differing abilities, but they need to have a benchmark to work towards. I think in many cases, parents today set the bar artificially low. While the days of settling a misdead with dad's belt are gone, I thing some parents are too willing to settle for rude and disobediant behavior.

A child with a specific area of difficulty can be understood for not achieving the same level of respectful behaviour, but he still needs to be held accountable. The world isn't going to unfailingly bend to his needs, so he will need to become accustomed to the needs of the world.

More kids go to college today though, so maybe the bar isn't set too low.

I don't think ADHD kids are more rude and disrespectful than any other kids. Society in general has horrible manners.

I don't know how much that has to do with lack of discipline. I think it's more because people don't live in neighborhoods where everyone knows everyone so the kids couldn't get away with anything. The parents weren't rude and disrespectful then either because they wouldn't have anyone to borrow sugar from or ask to babysit for them.

They say it takes a "village" to raise a child, and much of the US has stopped living in villages. How well do you know your neighbors?

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me

Last edited by Lunacie; 12-17-10 at 04:23 PM.. Reason: typo
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
Luvmybully (12-17-10)
Old 12-17-10, 04:33 PM

Thanked 11,251 Times in 5,495 Posts
daveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck223 View Post

you forgot extreme laziness

i have heard several parents begging for their kids to go out and play
Old 12-17-10, 04:36 PM
Forum Guru

Quote:
I'm not sure I understand? There have been circumstances where someone trying to foce me to do something simply made things worse.

I have been able to do work quicker because of deadlines and/or consequences, but these situations also sometimes created more stress and I required more time to recover afterward. In one instance, after rushing to make a deadline with a book contract, I was unable to write anything useful for some time, which caused me to lose multiple other contracts. Admittedly, this was a situation in which I was not aware of my limits, but my point is I have a difficult time viewing this as clear cut.

The same as before.

my point! Now if someone is forcing you to study(nagging, scolding you or a deadline as you said) you'll do it, but with stress. But if they properly tell you what to do, give you easy steps to follow, well adjusted according to your convinience,(disciplined) you might actually do better!
Old 12-17-10, 04:42 PM
Forum Guru

Almost every 'problem kid' is diagnosed with Adhd these days, or some other disorder.
Old 12-17-10, 04:53 PM
Forum Guru

Quote:
The same as before.
You mean, lazy, troublemaker
and rambunctious?(thanks for the new word btw)
Old 12-17-10, 04:54 PM
I eat shades of red.

Quote:
my point! Now if someone is forcing you to study(nagging, scolding you or a deadline as you said) you'll do it, but with stress. But if they properly tell you what to do, give you easy steps to follow, well adjusted according to your convinience,(disciplined) you might actually do better!
I think I more clearly understand your point now. Thanks.
Old 12-17-10, 05:08 PM

Thanked 11,251 Times in 5,495 Posts
daveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Almost every 'problem kid' is diagnosed with Adhd these days, or some other disorder.
it makes me wonder if lazy, troublemakers, socially akward, or non straight A kids even exist without being disordered
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daveddd For This Useful Post:
cantakeitnemore (12-17-10), Fortune (12-17-10)
Old 12-17-10, 05:11 PM
Forum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveddd View Post
it makes me wonder if lazy, troublemakers, socially akward, or non straight A kids even exist without being disordered
or maybe they just like the fancy names
Old 12-17-10, 05:26 PM
Forum Guru

Maybe its because we just understand the brain better now. Like with the MRI we can see that in adhd people, some parts of brain show lesser activity than the others. Now if we wake up a(normal) person and scan his brain, the functioning areas will be different (lesser, more depending on the dream sometimes) from a person who was studying(or the same person's mri some other time of the day). So maybe its just a deviation of the normal behaviour that can be controlled but with different ways? And maybe drugs are just our way of achieving it faster(and with side effects?). There might be other ways to secrete those neurotransmitters(dopamine in adhd?) ?