ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Diagnosis & Treatment This forum is for the discussion of issues related to the diagnosis of AD/HD

Old 12-17-10, 04:27 PM

Herhant257 is on a distinguished road
Alright... um did my doctor give me the increase dosage or did the pharm screw up?

I made another post a few days ago asking about acceptable ways to go about asking my doctor to increase my dosage.

I have been taking (Just finished my second month, just got my 3rd month prescription) 10mg of adderall (split from 20mg tablets) twice a day.

It started off working well, and I told him it was fine (last time).

I noticed however the 10mg wasn't really as effective as I needed it (as I occasionally lost focus while studying) and told the doctor today that 20mg a day was great.

He didn't really acknowledge it, and said something like "I will write you a prescription for the 20mg tablets". Then he said, if you need an extra hour or two you can take another half a tablet later.

I said alright.

He handed me the prescription and I didn't even read it.

I went down to the pharmacy and had it filled. Didn't read it.

The cashier lady charged me 55 dollars claiming 25$ copay for the visit.

My generic prescription is usually 15$ copay, so as I was driving home I thought "she charged me twice for the prescription".

I got home and looked at the bottle that seemed heavier than usual and noticed it had a new "direction" (which the doctor mentioned briefly claiming "the directions are a little different this time")

It says "take 1 tablet by month twice a day before breakfast and ...."

It has 60 pills in the bottle.

The doctor honestly didn't seem like he was upping my dosage to 40mg a day from 20mg a day.

Did he do that or did the pharmacy make a mistake and fill a 30 table 20mg prescription twice?

Like I said I didn't look at the prescription, but the receipt says "60.00 EA" and "Days Supplied 30".

I directly asked for an increase in dosage, but my doctor was so unclear I honestly think he might have just wrote me a 60 day prescription as opposed to an increase in dosage over 30 days.

My doctor did say "if you need an extra hour take another half tablet" but I honestly don't know if it was a mistake in the prescription writing program (he uses a computer program that writes the prescription), a problem at the pharmacy (relating to the fact that I was charged twice...) or if he in fact increased my dosage.

He is rather flexible with how I take the medication. Claiming just don't take more than the daily dosage, beyond that, you can take it when ever you want, just beware of the insomnia...

Again, he mentioned "I will write you a prescription for 20mg tablets", or maybe it was "we will keep it at 20mg". He didn't mention an increase in my daily dosage.

Did he keep it at the 20mg tablets because that is what i have been taking and we know (even with full 20mg pill once a day) I have no significant side effects, and just double the daily dosage?

I am honestly drawing a blank.

I don't want to take it as 2 pills a day, then find out in a month he wrote a prescription for 2 months... (Is that even possible?).

He knows I am studying heavily (8+ hours a day) and I did say 10mg hasn't been that effective and I asked him directly if he could increase the dosage, but he never directly mentioned and increase in my daily dosage and only mentioned "we are keeping it at 20mg tablets"....
Old 12-17-10, 05:15 PM
ADDvanced Member

WhoaaaaaI'mADD will become famous soon enough
Re: Alright... um did my doctor give me the increase dosage or did the pharm screw up

Call him up and check. You don't want to be stuck in the middle of a doctor claiming the pharmacy messed up or the pharmacy claiming the doctor messed up.

I don't know if it would be any significant issue, but Adderall is a controlled substance and if that's an incorrectly filled prescription you should get it fixed. It was probably a 60 day prescription, but you can't be sure without calling.
Old 12-17-10, 05:43 PM

Herhant257 is on a distinguished road
Re: Alright... um did my doctor give me the increase dosage or did the pharm screw up

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoaaaaaI'mADD View Post
Call him up and check. You don't want to be stuck in the middle of a doctor claiming the pharmacy messed up or the pharmacy claiming the doctor messed up.

I don't know if it would be any significant issue, but Adderall is a controlled substance and if that's an incorrectly filled prescription you should get it fixed. It was probably a 60 day prescription, but you can't be sure without calling.
Going to call now.

I think it's 60 day prescription as well... At least I hope it is.

All the signs point to that, but still it's a rather peculiar situation.

I asked for an increase.
I got an increase but just a doubling of the # of tablets. Directions changed and he mentioned that. But he didn't mention a increase directly, and specifically said "still going to prescribe 20mg".

As I was typing this I was on the phone with them. Turns out he did double it. =D. I hope he doesn't find it weird that I had to check up to make sure I was given/taking the right amount. He might think, I think he gave me too much =(. I didn't mention how much of an increase, I just asked for a "increase". He decided on double (and kind of didn't tell me that haha).

Kind of good because he and I discussed the possibility of me just doubling the prescription over final exam week (instead of taking half a tablet twice a day I would take two tablets per day) and that is what I did. The effects were remarkable. We talked about that when I got the prescription refilled the second time around.

He's a cool doctor, rather loose with the directions. He is just clear about not taking too much.

I guess that is the way these are usually taken anyway aye? Taken them when you need them?

Now I need to look into methods of maximizing effectiveness.

Any suggestions?

I already try to practice taking "vacations" from the medication, but I am studying for the MCAT so almost every day, so I am focused at my desk for 8+ hours a day.

On big days, I am here (at my desk) for literally 16 hours, with occasional unintended breaks (usually because the 10mg don't keep my focus to a point where I do not zone out).

Those 16 hour days are crazy, but I like them. It actually feels good when I put in that much work and can qualitatively feel/see the results/effects.

I really feel the 20mg 2x a day dosage is going to work wonders.

I drink around 12 cans of diet Pepsi a day. Could that amount of caffeine screw with the effectiveness of the adderall? Any other things I should cut out of my diet to increase the effectivness of the medication?
Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-11, 01:46 PM

ADDLawStoodant is on a distinguished road

Not sure what happened with your Dr's scrip or the pharmacy's handling of it. However, there is one point I'll speak to...

Quote:
I drink around 12 cans of diet Pepsi a day. Could that amount of caffeine screw with the effectiveness of the adderall?
12 cans? Yikes.

And my semi-educated answer is "yes." At least in my personal experiences, too many soft drinks have an opposite effect on the medication. From what I've heard/read, this is due to their citric acid content.

Citric acid lowers the bio-availability of amphetamines as well as purging them from your system at a faster rate than usual.

Some caffeine can potentiate amphetamines -- especially when ingested immediately before or after taking the meds. But too much has left me feeling jittery, irritated, and actually less focused and motivated.

Just my $.02.
tergesa (07-24-11)