ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 12-19-10, 12:11 PM
Jr Member

moke64916 is on a distinguished road
Adderall IR vs. Adderall XL Pros and Cons

Which do you thinks works better? Adderall IR or Adderall XL? What do you think the pros and cons are?

I've been prescribed to both. When I personally think adderall XL capsules work better than the IR. You don't get a tolerance with XL's as fast as you would with IR. The XL's work for most of the day, and when it wears off(the crash) isn't as bad as the IR. The XL kicks in slowly and wears off slowly. I recently started taking the IR, and it has been a big problem for me. Just 2 weeks of taking it my tolerance has sky rocketed. When first started taking it it would work for the most part 5-6 hrs, I'd take another one around 2p.m. and be fine for the rest of the day. Now I take it and it's not as effective. It might work for 2-3 hrs before it wears off. I feel like I need to increase my dose to get the same effect. The more I increase my dose, the more side effects I get. When it wears off(the crash period) is more intense than the XL's. I get more depressed when the IR wears off compared to the XL. My mood isn't as stable as it was when I was taking the XL's. Im gunna return to the extended release. It has been a rollercoaster for me. I think the XL adderall is more benificial than IR. What works better for you? Adderall XL or Adderall IR? What do you think the pros and cons between the two?
Old 12-19-10, 07:42 PM

kaduku will become famous soon enough
Re: Adderall IR vs. Adderall XL Pros and Cons

I've only used the IR so I couldn't say which is better. I can say the IR works well for me. I don't feel a major crash at the end of a day. I also take it 3 X day.
Old 12-19-10, 10:06 PM

shelly7783 is on a distinguished road

Same here, I take IR three times a day and it works well for me. My dr gave me that because he knew my insurance company is not very good when it comes to mental health issues, and he knew they owuld only approve the IR, so he was hoping I'd do okay on it. From what I've read here, I don't have any interest in trying the XR anyway. People seem to say it doesn't last as long as it is supposed to, and I like the fact I can just take 1 if it's all I need, or 3 if I need them the whole day. But everyone reacts differently to things.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-10, 07:19 AM
Forum ADDvocate

425runner has a spectacular aura about425runner has a spectacular aura about

I prefer the IR version as well, mainly because of the flexibility of dosing. I try to space them out evenly through the day and it works fine, faster onset then XR.
Old 12-21-10, 04:39 PM

classmates is on a distinguished road

It honestly depends on your mental history and expectations/goals with taking a stimulant.

When it comes to IR, (from my experience), you get an incredible rush within the first 30 minutes of taking the medication and it should last for 3-4 hours. IR is great when it comes to suddenly needing that extra drive for focus, confidence and attention. Example: Psychology Final at 8:30 AM.

I am currently on 20mg of Adderall XR taken once in the morning. With XR, I have noticed less of a "kick" that the IR gives you, but have noticed much less side effects. The effects of XR last much longer than IR, but does not give you the boost that one might be looking for. As a college student, XR is much better as it helps concentration for a whole day at school. On the opposite side, XR makes me feel as if I have drank four cups of coffee rather than being on amphetemine as I felt before with IR.

If you do not have an addictive personality and have intentions on increasing focus and energy, IR is probably the best as long as your motives are in the right place.

If you're like me and have a nasty history of substance abuse, eating dissorders, blah blah blah, XR is right up your alley. Its very hard to abuse XR and the consistency of an extended release tablet can be very effective.

Cheers
Old 12-22-10, 02:22 PM
Jr Member

moke64916 is on a distinguished road

Classmates, I really liked hat you had to say. I realized that I just wasn't taking the right dose of the IR. Now I found that dose and it works fine. I too have a past history of abuse. I do have to say that if you are on a high dose of the XL's, it is just as effective as the IR. It can be just a strong. And it will work for most of the day, without heavy crash that you get on the IR. I think in the long run, the extended release is a better choice because you won't nearly get a tolerance as fast as you would with the IR.
Old 12-24-10, 02:30 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Naussicaa has a spectacular aura aboutNaussicaa has a spectacular aura about

IR feels weaker to me, and XR feels stronger to me, even at lower dosages. This is very strange.

XR: Stronger feeling, the capsule (30mg) looks like a gumball machine, but they are more expensive, and I can't eat as easily on the days I take it.

IR: Tastes like candy, feels weaker but it works instantly, I can eat on them, they are easier to carry, and the capsules won't break and you lose your beads.

On IR now, I would rather not eat than do halfoss work. I asked to be switched back to XR, but he said I already have Dexedrine ER, so there really isn't a good need for that.