ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-10, 05:56 PM

VisibleKinda is on a distinguished road
Is it genuine boredom or ADHD?

I read in 'I'm not lazy, stupid or crazy' (or whatever the book is called) and 'Delivered From Distraction' that ADHD can tell you whether you're truly interested in something. It kind of implies that you shouldn't bother with certain things if ADHD is stopping you from concentrating on them and find something else. The idea scares me because it's like I'm being told that because I have ADHD, the things I think I'm interested in aren't really what I'm interested in, so it's a waste of time pursuing them (So it's a trial-and-error process of searching for my 'hyperfocus', which could end up being, say, blacksmithing or something)

Is this true, though? Is, say, being ADHD and not being able to get through a whole film actually just boredom, and where a Non-ADD person may be able to perservere, ADD people cannot? Or is it just ADHD that's stopping you from watching even if you enjoy it?

I watched Seven Samurai the other day, and I HAD to use my medication to get through it. The medication helped me to enjoy and appreciate the film in the way that everyone else does, but surely -- if I genuinely enjoyed it I could watch it WITHOUT meds? Otherwise it's like my using meds to 'study'.
Old 12-20-10, 06:01 PM
Registered

Trevor4sure is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Is it genuine boredom or ADHD?

Best thing to do is defind both conditions in your own words and then ask us what defintion is more right... They both cant be the same!
Old 12-20-10, 06:06 PM
Moderator of mind and heart

Thanked 20,270 Times in 8,237 Posts
sarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond repute

I think there might be a lot of truth in it. Although for me its usually possible to focus on pretty much any new subject. After a while though it becomes boring and I begin to lose concentration.

Only subjects that really interest me keep me concentrated longer even after the novelty has worn off.

Humans are caterpillars who do not know they can become butterflies.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarek For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (12-21-10), Impetus (12-20-10)
Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-10, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor4sure View Post
Best thing to do is defind both conditions in your own words and then ask us what defintion is more right... They both cant be the same!
Well, boredom to me is when I'm reading a book or watching a film and my eyes wander away from the screen, and/or I start thinking of other things. I often get fidgety because I want to do something else. I don't feel entertained.

ADHD...well, usually my attention wanders and....

That's why I say I can't distinguish the two. What makes it worse is that when I DO manage to perservere (with help of meds), I end up enjoying it by the end. So it's hard to tell if it's actual boredom.

And one thing I can focus on without meds is browsing the internet all day aimlessly. Which is not something I want to spend my life doing.
Old 12-20-10, 06:28 PM
Registered

It should be expressed as Artifical Inteligence they say our IQ is normal... Other stuff we talk about is just other stuff from us not being AI. You just need to to understand ADHD is really caused from stress and I OF ON thats a space!
Old 12-20-10, 06:37 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,641 Times in 1,738 Posts
Impetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond repute

I think I understand what you are saying, but I don't believe it is quite that "black and white." We may just need a little more time to plan our activities, and use different tools than others would.

An example is, I genuinely enjoy knitting and have done it for years. Similar to Sarek, it interests me and has kept my interest. BUT there are some days when I just shouldn't be working on a complicated pattern. My mind is too scattered to work on something overly intricate. Other days I will get in to a "zone," and have a lot of success. I believe it would be more accurate to say that we may have to make adjustments to the when and how of our activities. It will require more planning for me to get through a project, but I can still do it. I have to be diligent counting the stitches as I go and using a row counter to track my place in the repititions. Not a whole lot different than using a book mark.

An example of a seriously tedious necessary evil is work, part of my day entails reading legal documents. I also have coworkers that like to visit with each other a lot. The solution has two sides to it. I go in a little earlier to review those documents. (I don't tell them that I do that) And I also nicely ask them to keep it down when they are too loud or have gone on too long.

"Think you can, think you can't; either way you'll be right." Henry Ford
I often warn people: "Somewhere along the way, someone is going to tell you, 'There is no "I" in team.' What you should tell them is, 'Maybe not. But there is an "I" in independence, individuality and integrity.
-George Carlin
Old 12-20-10, 06:54 PM
Moderator of all seasons

Thanked 12,634 Times in 6,460 Posts
anonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond repute

Visible Kinda, thanks for your questions and courage in posting something I have pondered. With ADD, I wonder about boredom all the time. I watched the Fighter the other night and was getting bored. I became distracted by someone snoring near me (very annoying). I tried to stay awake and pay attention hard by asking question like "what's going to happen next." It's work though.

In my life, I was most easily stimulated (you might say focused), through sports. I should've been diagnosed ADD in the late 80's early 90's but because I could "hyperfocus" on sports it was ruled out. I'm far away from those days and I do miss them.

As I wonder about my career plans and job, I wonder what WILL keep my attention. I dread boredom and often wonder what to do to keep myself entertained. Boredom can be a terrible thing for someone with ADD. It led me into impulsive spending and behaviors I'm not very proud of, but I'm aware of it now and have really gotten better.

I believe your boredom is not a symptom of just the ADD experience (other people without it get bored). Yet, it impacts us on a much deeper level. I've seen people who are bored by the work they do who I believe do not have ADD but can tolerate it much easier than us. So the message you have gotten from the ADD books is something to pay attention to in terms of your career.
Old 12-20-10, 07:05 PM
Registered

Now thinks... Bored vs Adhd? Bored is not understandable and understanding would be fun to play with. I like I like you like a friend
Old 12-20-10, 07:08 PM
Registered

Know one no one! Understand on medication or relax like I used to!
Old 12-20-10, 07:44 PM
Jr Member

Quicky will become famous soon enough

I can't watch movies. I hate being cooped in a room, sitting still for that long, so I don't do it. If I want to watch a film then I'll watch it at home with my laptop on my lap - that way I can still do a million things at once and keep myself interested.

I've found that I just spend my time looking for something that really interests me that I want to learn about. I've got long term things that I love doing, but I go back and visit them when I feel like it.

The only thing that's ever held my interest has been gigging and touring. It's always different which makes it constantly stimulating!
Old 12-20-10, 07:48 PM
Registered

I got the impression that you would be better off saying you have bi-polar... Who knows! You know... To me thats a serious condition where you try to take on too many things and you really think you can! You know what I mean? Your going delusional... You need to help yourself by trying something bad before good... It seems you have other things you can do... Keep it up with no highs or lows...
Old 12-20-10, 08:09 PM

Thanked 7,563 Times in 3,899 Posts
fracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond repute

I struggle to pay attention to my favourite films. And of course it is my favourite. Just because I lack a bit of focus doesn't mean I don't know what I really like.
I wrote three books once on meds. All the research and obsessing over this interest was truly something I enjoyed but I couldn't write like that off meds.
I even struggle to watch my favourite bands live.

But I don't think you should give into ADHD temptations (despite the fact that this forum is an ADHD temptation of mine) but should develop ways to manage it.

Just because a book says something you don't have to believe it. Do you believe everything in The Bible or Mein Kampf?

I'm probably going to hell for using both books in the same sentence, but what I said still stands.

Boredom to me is something I truly have no interest in, or having the state of mind of not being able to focus on anything and not knowing what to focus on so I utter an 'I'm bored' and play games on my phone.
Old 12-21-10, 06:20 AM

Swiss_guy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisibleKinda View Post
I read in 'I'm not lazy, stupid or crazy' (or whatever the book is called) and 'Delivered From Distraction' that ADHD can tell you whether you're truly interested in something. It kind of implies that you shouldn't bother with certain things if ADHD is stopping you from concentrating on them and find something else. The idea scares me because it's like I'm being told that because I have ADHD, the things I think I'm interested in aren't really what I'm interested in, so it's a waste of time pursuing them (So it's a trial-and-error process of searching for my 'hyperfocus', which could end up being, say, blacksmithing or something)

Is this true, though? Is, say, being ADHD and not being able to get through a whole film actually just boredom, and where a Non-ADD person may be able to perservere, ADD people cannot? Or is it just ADHD that's stopping you from watching even if you enjoy it?

I watched Seven Samurai the other day, and I HAD to use my medication to get through it. The medication helped me to enjoy and appreciate the film in the way that everyone else does, but surely -- if I genuinely enjoyed it I could watch it WITHOUT meds? Otherwise it's like my using meds to 'study'.
Maybe you should take up sky-diving, track days (tons of tracks in England) and quit your job to become a fire-fighter. Seven Samurai is a fun film if all you had for fun before was origami and composing awkward poems.
Old 12-21-10, 07:11 AM

Thanked 7,155 Times in 3,641 Posts
daveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond repute

your brain spends every waking moment searching for rewards

you are just a vehicle for it

if you are doing something that isnt rewarding , your brain gonna say get moving

and make you restless , bored, irritable , agitated or whatever else

i cant even listen to someone talk for 30 seconds without trying to escape

your meds are giving your brain a little reward, so it will let you relax

for now.....................
The Following User Says Thank You to daveddd For This Useful Post:
bof00 (12-22-10)
Old 12-21-10, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss_guy View Post
Maybe you should take up sky-diving, track days (tons of tracks in England) and quit your job to become a fire-fighter. Seven Samurai is a fun film if all you had for fun before was origami and composing awkward poems.
Seven Samurai isn't fun. It's amazing.