ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 12-26-10, 07:39 PM
Forum ADDvocate

425runner has a spectacular aura about425runner has a spectacular aura about
Face flushing red from Adderall

This is so strange...everytime I take the med my face flushes red and I get really warm. Has anyone experienced this? Is this normal? And no...I'm not going through a menopause
Old 12-26-10, 07:46 PM
Banned

Jester is a jewel in the roughJester is a jewel in the roughJester is a jewel in the rough
Re: Face flushing red from Adderall

Quote:
Originally Posted by 425runner View Post
This is so strange...everytime I take the med my face flushes red and I get really warm. Has anyone experienced this? Is this normal? And no...I'm not going through a menopause
Congrats, you've connected with Adderall on another level ^.^ It's not bad at all, it's good sign. You know, at first the body doesn't really know what to do with the amphetamine but after a while the 2 become friends. It's whats happening, the body accepts it completely. Just don't go over the prescribed dose.
Old 12-26-10, 07:51 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,370 Times in 902 Posts
avjgirsijdhtjhs has a reputation beyond reputeavjgirsijdhtjhs has a reputation beyond reputeavjgirsijdhtjhs has a reputation beyond reputeavjgirsijdhtjhs has a reputation beyond reputeavjgirsijdhtjhs has a reputation beyond reputeavjgirsijdhtjhs has a reputation beyond reputeavjgirsijdhtjhs has a reputation beyond reputeavjgirsijdhtjhs has a reputation beyond reputeavjgirsijdhtjhs has a reputation beyond reputeavjgirsijdhtjhs has a reputation beyond reputeavjgirsijdhtjhs has a reputation beyond repute

Are you taking a "high dose" niacin supplement at the same time?

niacin flush
Imnapl (12-26-10)
Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-10, 08:04 PM
Banned

Jester is a jewel in the roughJester is a jewel in the roughJester is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by avjgirsijdhtjhs View Post
Are you taking a "high dose" niacin supplement at the same time?

niacin flush
There's absolutely no available reason why she should ever do that unless she's on a desert island, starved to death and waiting for rescue to arrive. You people are gonna kill yourselves with those vitamin supplements.
Old 12-26-10, 08:32 PM
Forum ADDvocate

No, I'm not taking any niacin, just B-complex at lunch.
Old 12-26-10, 08:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
It does contain niacin, niacin is vitamin B3 ofc and I don't know many B-complex that don't contain B3. avjgirsijdhtjhs was right! Tell your doctor that you take B-complex. Just out of curiosity, who told you that you need to take such supplements?
Old 12-26-10, 08:54 PM

avjgirsijdhtjhs has a reputation beyond reputeavjgirsijdhtjhs has a reputation beyond reputeavjgirsijdhtjhs has a reputation beyond reputeavjgirsijdhtjhs has a reputation beyond reputeavjgirsijdhtjhs has a reputation beyond reputeavjgirsijdhtjhs has a reputation beyond reputeavjgirsijdhtjhs has a reputation beyond reputeavjgirsijdhtjhs has a reputation beyond reputeavjgirsijdhtjhs has a reputation beyond reputeavjgirsijdhtjhs has a reputation beyond reputeavjgirsijdhtjhs has a reputation beyond repute

retracting this post
Old 12-26-10, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Niacin is also known as vitamin B3.

Niacinamide does not cause the flush.
425runner (12-27-10)
Old 12-26-10, 10:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by avjgirsijdhtjhs View Post
Niacin is also known as vitamin B3.

Niacinamide does not cause the flush.
Yes. She's taking niacin...as far as I know both niacin and nicotinamide are toxic to the liver in high doses, just like Tylenol. Liver failure is a slow and painful death. People keep treating vitamin supplements like candy and they end up like that.

I don't know who is responsible for this, honestly. I don't know who tells people that they should take vitamin supplements nor do I know how people determine that they are low on vitamins, I am dumbfounded.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jester For This Useful Post:
425runner (12-27-10)
Old 12-27-10, 12:51 AM
Contributor

notsoplainJane is a glorious beacon of lightnotsoplainJane is a glorious beacon of lightnotsoplainJane is a glorious beacon of lightnotsoplainJane is a glorious beacon of lightnotsoplainJane is a glorious beacon of light

Actually, my face has become red awhile after I take a tablet, then after the dose has worn off, the red disappears. At first, I thought it was the cold weather, because I began taking Adderall just about the time the really cold stuff hit.
Old 12-27-10, 01:39 AM

Thanked 2,079 Times in 1,185 Posts
StoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant future

Quote:
I actually knew a guy that had this happen from his Adderall.
Maybe it's just a minor rare side effect.

Dx: Adhd Combined type, Asperger's Syndrome, Mathematics Disability (10/4/10)..Panic Disorder, Atypical Depression, And Multiple Phobias.
Rx: Dexedrine IR 2.5-5 mg PRN (starting on 1/21/12).
Past meds: Namenda, Focalin IR, Ritalin IR, Adderall IR, D-Amp IR, Nicotine/Swedish Snus.
Boycott Teva/Barr, CorePharma, Mallinckrodt (Methylin)

REST IN PEACE
The Following User Says Thank You to StoicNate For This Useful Post:
Imnapl (12-27-10)
Old 12-27-10, 06:52 AM
Forum ADDvocate

OK, I'll stop the B-complex and see what happens. You're right - I looked at the bottle and 1 capsule has 100 mcg of B-3 (NIacin) and given that the flush always happens in the afternoon, it might be the cause!

I was told by my neurologist to take this to help with chronic neuropathic pain and depression. I can't say if it does anything....
The Following User Says Thank You to 425runner For This Useful Post:
avjgirsijdhtjhs (12-27-10)
Old 12-31-10, 09:08 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,007 Times in 504 Posts
chartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant future

It's strange to me that Adderall would cause flushing...it's actually a vasoconstricter (causes your blood vessels to constrict, which is why some people find they're more sensitive to cold on Adderall).

The only thing I can think of is that one of the additives to the pills might be causing a flushing reaction? Are you generally more prone to flushing than other people? This could be a sign of rosacea....I never had trouble with Adderall making me flush but many other things did and I found out about the connection between frequent flushing and full-on rosacea the hard way...meaning I didn't get it until it got so bad that I permanently damaged my skin.

I'd definitely do whatever it takes to figure out what specifically in the meds is triggering the flushes (maybe switch to another brand that doesn't contain the same fillers?) and if indicated also eliminate anything else in your diet/environment that seems to be a trigger for flushing.
Old 12-31-10, 10:03 PM
Forum ADDvocate

It's the freaking niacin that did this! Ever since I stopped taking the B-Complex I don't have this problem anymore.
Old 12-31-10, 10:13 PM
ADDvanced Member

theburr has a spectacular aura abouttheburr has a spectacular aura about

The Adderail is raising your blood pressure. Get it checked just to make sure you're in a safe range, and lower your sodium if needed.