ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 12-31-10, 06:23 AM

abooth3 is a jewel in the roughabooth3 is a jewel in the roughabooth3 is a jewel in the rough
Does Adderall XR Work Better Than Vyvanse?

I've been taking Vyvanse 50mg for four months. It was good at first, but I'm starting to notice that it's lost it's effectiveness. It will be great for a few hours, and then I feel like it's totally gone. My doc prescribed some 10mg Adderall IR caplets to supplement the Vyvanse, but if I'm going to be taking Adderall supplements I'm wondering if I should just go ahead and switch over to the Adderall XR. I know this question has been asked several times, but I haven't been able to get a definitive answer: Do you think Adderall XR is more effective than Vyvanse?

I know that Adderall XR is supposed to be more harsh in its comedown, but part of me thinks a steep dropoff would be preferable to Vyvanse that peaks quickly (for me) and then fades into nothingness in a few hours. Thoughts? Does XR work better? Anyone here tried both, have an opinion?
Old 12-31-10, 10:36 AM
Banned

Jester is a jewel in the roughJester is a jewel in the roughJester is a jewel in the rough
Re: Does Adderall XR Work Better Than Vyvanse?

You can't complement an XR medication with another XR. It's hard to know what the blood levels are, especially with vyvanse.

Some people find Adderall XR superior to vyvanse. Vyvanse is a l-lysine-carboxyl-d-amphetamine prodrug that is cleaved in your stomach into l-lysine carboxylate and d-amphetamine. I think only 40% is converted because of the difficulty of forming the l-lysine carboxylate anion due to it's secondary amide bond. In the lab 100% of the conversion can be done under reflux in less then 3 hours but the conditions are very harsh. (not occurring in your stomach)
If your stomach is not acidic enough you may not get your 40% with vyvanse so the 50mg dose would be equivalent to 10mg dexedrine.

The other issue is that you must not complement a dextro medication with a levo containing medication since the levo can have adverse effects, effects you have never known before with vyvanse. Your doctor should know this. I would only complement vyvanse with IR dexedrine or IR focalin but if you choose focalin make sure the dose isn't too great. At low doses focalin has a synergy with Vyvanse but at high doses it cancels vyvanse effect because they act on different receptors.
Old 12-31-10, 10:51 AM
Banned

Jester is a jewel in the roughJester is a jewel in the roughJester is a jewel in the rough

Also, vyvanse absorption is very smooth because what releases the d-amphetamine is a hydrolysis reaction that's badly rate determined. With other XR/IR medication you may notice sudden peaks that you didn't notice before so take it easy with the quantity for a start.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-10, 11:36 AM
Contributor

Canuck223 is a name known to allCanuck223 is a name known to allCanuck223 is a name known to allCanuck223 is a name known to allCanuck223 is a name known to allCanuck223 is a name known to all

I have a doctor who has never heard of Vyvanse, and I'm on Adderall XR with Dex boosters. (Vyvanse was approved in Feb 2010, so it wasn't in the 2010 PDR)

So since my son generally doesn't take his meds on weekends or vacations, we had a surplus of his 50 mg Vyvanse.

During my vacation, I took a break for the first weekend from my 25mg Adderall XR, then tried his 50 mg Vyvanse for a week.

I prefer my Adderall XR. I find it slightly better at keeping me focused and on task. However, both in my opinion are equal when it comes to onset of effectiveness and in the gradual decrease in effectiveness. As I didn't feel like a speed freak as they became effective, and I didn't feel like I suddenly needed a nap when they wore off. The Vyvanse does seem to last longer, but in general it's also with slightly less impact. (Perhaps 60 mg Vyvanse vs 25 mg Adderall would be more apples-apples)
The Following User Says Thank You to Canuck223 For This Useful Post:
Naussicaa (12-31-10)
Old 12-31-10, 06:39 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Naussicaa has a spectacular aura aboutNaussicaa has a spectacular aura about

Yup .
Old 12-31-10, 08:23 PM
ADDvanced Member

markadd is just really nicemarkadd is just really nicemarkadd is just really nicemarkadd is just really nice

I had no side effects on Vyvance on Adderall XR I did but it has a generic so sticking with that. If the price was the same I would go with Vyvance.
Old 10-31-11, 04:37 AM
Jr Member

bbsmith7777 is on a distinguished road

Generally I liked XR better than Vyvanse until roughly when XR went generic. I found the generic XR to make me feel fatigued and strung out, needless to say this didn't help my inattention symptoms anymore, so I switched to Vyvanse. Although I prefer the way XR used to work for me, Vyvanse does an ok job overall.

My Dr. has me supplement the Vyvanse with Adderall IR, which actually seems fine in my own experience, although I know not everyone experiences the same effects with the same drugs. I did notice in recently having my prescription for IR filled with (what I believe was from) Core-pharma rather than Barr, that I have unpleasant symptoms similar to (but milder than) those which I previously had with the generic Adderall XR. I'm still getting used to the difference in IR's, but it is seeming to be less annoying than it was at first.

Although I do prefer the Barr version of Adderall IR, given that I am currently unable to fill Adderall IR or any of it's generics at any of my local pharmacies, I'll take whichever I can get if it ever becomes available around here again. Sorry to be so longwinded but a side point relevant to your question here is to make sure your area is not also in a shortage of Adderall IR before getting a prescription written for it, as you may not be able to fill it anyway.
Old 10-31-11, 10:24 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

PedroDaGr8 is a glorious beacon of lightPedroDaGr8 is a glorious beacon of lightPedroDaGr8 is a glorious beacon of lightPedroDaGr8 is a glorious beacon of lightPedroDaGr8 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
You can't complement an XR medication with another XR. It's hard to know what the blood levels are, especially with vyvanse.

Some people find Adderall XR superior to vyvanse. Vyvanse is a l-lysine-carboxyl-d-amphetamine prodrug that is cleaved in your stomach into l-lysine carboxylate and d-amphetamine. I think only 40% is converted because of the difficulty of forming the l-lysine carboxylate anion due to it's secondary amide bond. In the lab 100% of the conversion can be done under reflux in less then 3 hours but the conditions are very harsh. (not occurring in your stomach)
If your stomach is not acidic enough you may not get your 40% with vyvanse so the 50mg dose would be equivalent to 10mg dexedrine.

The other issue is that you must not complement a dextro medication with a levo containing medication since the levo can have adverse effects, effects you have never known before with vyvanse. Your doctor should know this. I would only complement vyvanse with IR dexedrine or IR focalin but if you choose focalin make sure the dose isn't too great. At low doses focalin has a synergy with Vyvanse but at high doses it cancels vyvanse effect because they act on different receptors.
To correct a bit of misinformation. The L-lysine and dexamp bond is broken by the liver and not the stomach. Its rate of cleavage is actually depenedent on how much of the enzymes you have in your liver.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PedroDaGr8 For This Useful Post:
BR549 (10-31-11), Massari (10-31-11)
Old 10-31-11, 11:47 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

tambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of light

YES!

Vyvanse... well, let's just say your experience is not uncommon.

RXed:
Pristiq, 50mg (AM)

Adderall, 20mg 2x daily
Lyrica, 150mg 3x daily
Xanax, .5mg 3x daily

Remeron, 30mg (PM)
Seroquel, 200mg (PM)
Old 10-31-11, 04:13 PM
Contributor

bobC has a spectacular aura aboutbobC has a spectacular aura about

Jester,

Ritilan based meds like focalin are not normally used at the same time as amphetamine meds like adderall/vyvanse.

Bobc
Old 10-31-11, 06:23 PM
ADDvanced Member

ADHD0905 will become famous soon enough

I take Adderall XR twice a day. Since it doesn't interfere with my sleeping habits, actually I sleep better, my doc has no problem with me taking it b/c of how long I need the effects. I had better effects from the Adderall XR compared to the Vyvanse but it's hard to say b/c everyone's different
Old 10-31-11, 07:22 PM
ADDvanced Member

Chace90 is on a distinguished road

Please don't listen to jester. His information is incorrect. Definitely do not mix vyvanse or adderall with focalin or ritalin. Adderall is Dextroamphetamine and Levoamphetamine but mostly Dextroamphetamine. Vyvanse is a prodrug form of Dextroamphetamine.
Old 10-31-11, 08:05 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

tambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chace90 View Post
Please don't listen to jester. His information is incorrect. Definitely do not mix vyvanse or adderall with focalin or ritalin. Adderall is Dextroamphetamine and Levoamphetamine but mostly Dextroamphetamine. Vyvanse is a prodrug form of Dextroamphetamine.
While it is generally best to stay in one family, amp and MPH products can be used interchangeably without great risk.

Actually, taking MPH for your final dose of the day can help to prevent amphetamine tolerance and prevent any chance of neurotoxicity.

I don't care for MPH at all, but it works well for some.

RXed:
Pristiq, 50mg (AM)

Adderall, 20mg 2x daily
Lyrica, 150mg 3x daily
Xanax, .5mg 3x daily

Remeron, 30mg (PM)
Seroquel, 200mg (PM)
Old 10-31-11, 08:15 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Massari is a glorious beacon of lightMassari is a glorious beacon of lightMassari is a glorious beacon of lightMassari is a glorious beacon of lightMassari is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chace90 View Post
And you get that information from where exactly? Some people are prescribed the 2 together but the ritalin/focalin dose must be low:

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone
Well, I thought I would add some personal experience to this thread, as I am actually prescribed vyvanse and ritalin concurrently. I take about 40mg vyvanse and 10mg ritalin in the morning and 10mg ritalin over the course of the day. The reason I got this prescription was that vyvanse by itself was kinda ******* with my writing style. I couldn't write a proper sentence--my syntax was all screwed up. RItalin didn't induce that kind of problem, but wasn't sufficient to fix my ADD. Therefore, he tried adding a mixture of both, and it works. I am efficient, and I can write too.
Note that this strains the cardio-vascular system much more significantly than Vyvanse or Ritalin alone.

By looking at the image, at low doses of Ritalin the uptake would not be completely blocked, thus, probably creating synergy between amphetamine and Ritalin. If you take too much Ritalin, the experience will be very unpleasant. However, keeping Ritalin doses minimal should do the trick. Of course check with your doctor first before doing stuff.

Taking Focalin when your amphetamine crashes should not be a problem according to me. I want to see papers...studies, links showing that Focalin should not be combined with Vyvanse. Begging people to listen to you is a poor substitute for scientific proof.
The Following User Says Thank You to Massari For This Useful Post:
BR549 (10-31-11)
Old 10-31-11, 08:37 PM
Super Mooderator

Thanked 12,131 Times in 7,189 Posts
BR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond repute

There are people, even on this forum, who take an amphetamine with focalin. While it's not common, it is done. Simply because it's what is most effective for them.

"no talk
no, talk
Punctuation is important"
~Abi