ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 01-01-11, 06:48 PM

puzzled is on a distinguished road
Adderall not working after one day

Hello. I'm new to this forum.

I'm 32 years old and been living with ADHD for most my life (inattentive) and finally decided to do something about it. My doctor prescribed me Adderall IR 5mg and got the generic blue version labeled Dex Combination. Told me to take 1 pill/day.

On day 1, I took one pill and it was amazing. My thoughts were very clear, I was very focused/calm, and felt very euphoric for about 3 hours. It took one hour for it to set in though. I almost didn't want the day to end. One side effect was, after it wore off, I felt extremely exhausted and was just laying down on floor. But it was definitely worth it.

Next morning, I was very anxious to take it again. But when I did, it didn't feel as strong. So I took another 5mg pill 5 hours later, but that didn't do much either. This is the 3rd day and I did the same thing as day 2, but not much again. Instead, I have a mild headache and mind feels clouded.

So I don't know whether if there's something wrong with me or the medicine won't work anymore. Do I need to up my dose even more? I will see my doctor again in 2 weeks, but just feeling frustrated at the moment. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 01-01-11, 06:57 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,077 Times in 1,185 Posts
StoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant future
Re: Adderall not working after one day

Don't mistake the euphoria for the Adderall working, this can lead to addiction very easily. Euphoria is only temporary.

I don't feel any euphoria when I take my Ritalin, but I am focused and do what I have to do in the day.

Just take as directed by your doctor for now (as it says on the pill bottle), until your next appointment.

Dx: Adhd Combined type, Asperger's Syndrome, Mathematics Disability (10/4/10)..Panic Disorder, Atypical Depression, And Multiple Phobias.
Rx: Dexedrine IR 2.5-5 mg PRN (starting on 1/21/12).
Past meds: Namenda, Focalin IR, Ritalin IR, Adderall IR, D-Amp IR, Nicotine/Swedish Snus.
Boycott Teva/Barr, CorePharma, Mallinckrodt (Methylin)

REST IN PEACE
The Following User Says Thank You to StoicNate For This Useful Post:
puzzled (01-02-11)
Old 01-02-11, 02:30 AM

Thanks for your feedback.

I'm sad but also relieved to hear that euphoric feeling was only temporary. I can see how one can get really addicted. But that first day was so incredible I can't seem to let it go. I felt like a whole new person and thought my life was really going to change.

I took one more 5mg IR today, so total of 3, but all in 5 hour intervals. Again, I did not feel the same as my first day when I took only one. I've been reading on other threads and others seem to be starting off at higher doses, like 10mg XR. So I just thought maybe my dose was too low.

My doctor did say I could take additional if needed to, but now I feel dizzy and my head feels cluttered. I probably should go back to taking just one 5mg/day, but I'm not very patient.

Could it be adderall is not right for me? Should I ask my doctor to switch me to ritalin?
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-11, 10:38 AM
Banned

Jester is a jewel in the roughJester is a jewel in the roughJester is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzled View Post
Hello. I'm new to this forum.

I'm 32 years old and been living with ADHD for most my life (inattentive) and finally decided to do something about it. My doctor prescribed me Adderall IR 5mg and got the generic blue version labeled Dex Combination. Told me to take 1 pill/day.

On day 1, I took one pill and it was amazing. My thoughts were very clear, I was very focused/calm, and felt very euphoric for about 3 hours. It took one hour for it to set in though. I almost didn't want the day to end. One side effect was, after it wore off, I felt extremely exhausted and was just laying down on floor. But it was definitely worth it.

Next morning, I was very anxious to take it again. But when I did, it didn't feel as strong. So I took another 5mg pill 5 hours later, but that didn't do much either. This is the 3rd day and I did the same thing as day 2, but not much again. Instead, I have a mild headache and mind feels clouded.

So I don't know whether if there's something wrong with me or the medicine won't work anymore. Do I need to up my dose even more? I will see my doctor again in 2 weeks, but just feeling frustrated at the moment. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks.
It's normal, it's like with heroin, it's very hard to obtain your first high again. Your testimony has characteristics of recreational use because you said you feel a good euphoria at first and then the crash is bad. You probably took 3x the amount you needed, how much did you take?
The Following User Says Thank You to Jester For This Useful Post:
puzzled (01-02-11)
Old 01-02-11, 01:51 PM

rogerdodger91 is just really nicerogerdodger91 is just really nicerogerdodger91 is just really nicerogerdodger91 is just really nice

Are you sure you arent just depressed and dont have adhd? I mean 5 mgs of adderall for someone with adhd wouldnt really give a very euphoric experience. I take 30 mg XR and hardly feel any euphoria at all and i have mild depression. Do you feel your mind slow down when you take it? For people with adhd inattentive, hyperactive or combined. It slows the thoughts down. the way our minds work is that we have racing thoughts that jump around. When we take stimulants they have a slow relaxing effect that i compare to as driving the speed limit. Now if this is how the medication makes you feel, and the thoughts are speeding again. Your dose is obviously not producing enough dopamine. Id talk to your doctor about upping your dose. But let it be known that, you shouldnt be getting a very euphoric experience off 5 mgs. That dose is given to very small children to calm them down. When i started on 10 mgs IR i had to take two at a time to even get the effects i need to concentrate.
The Following User Says Thank You to rogerdodger91 For This Useful Post:
puzzled (01-02-11)
Old 01-02-11, 01:55 PM

rogerdodger91 is just really nicerogerdodger91 is just really nicerogerdodger91 is just really nicerogerdodger91 is just really nice

Also the crash has alot to do with your body returning to normal. Things like not eating, or not drinking enough water can lead to headaches and a lack of energy. Amphetamines increase the adrenaline in your body and give it a "false" sense of energy.
The Following User Says Thank You to rogerdodger91 For This Useful Post:
puzzled (01-02-11)
Old 01-02-11, 01:57 PM

jeninok will become famous soon enough

If this is your first time taking any kind of stimulant medication I have to wonder if you are eating and sleeping well enough.

Without taking in adequate calories, with enough protein, and drinking enough water, while also getting decent sleep, you won't feel well and the medicine won't be nearly as effective as it would otherwise be.

5mg IR is also a very small dose for an adult and may not be enough to treat your symptoms.
The Following User Says Thank You to jeninok For This Useful Post:
puzzled (01-02-11)
Old 01-02-11, 02:35 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,077 Times in 1,185 Posts
StoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzled View Post
Thanks for your feedback.

I'm sad but also relieved to hear that euphoric feeling was only temporary. I can see how one can get really addicted. But that first day was so incredible I can't seem to let it go. I felt like a whole new person and thought my life was really going to change.

I took one more 5mg IR today, so total of 3, but all in 5 hour intervals. Again, I did not feel the same as my first day when I took only one. I've been reading on other threads and others seem to be starting off at higher doses, like 10mg XR. So I just thought maybe my dose was too low.

My doctor did say I could take additional if needed to, but now I feel dizzy and my head feels cluttered. I probably should go back to taking just one 5mg/day, but I'm not very patient.

Could it be adderall is not right for me? Should I ask my doctor to switch me to ritalin?
You have to take it slowly with stimulant meds. Usually in 2-3 weeks you'll know if Adderall is a good fit for you.

If it makes you have headaches or get you dizzy it might mean you took a little too much in one day.
Drink a lot of water and eat breakfast/lunch/dinner/snacks.

Take it easy and have a good ADHD life.

Dx: Adhd Combined type, Asperger's Syndrome, Mathematics Disability (10/4/10)..Panic Disorder, Atypical Depression, And Multiple Phobias.
Rx: Dexedrine IR 2.5-5 mg PRN (starting on 1/21/12).
Past meds: Namenda, Focalin IR, Ritalin IR, Adderall IR, D-Amp IR, Nicotine/Swedish Snus.
Boycott Teva/Barr, CorePharma, Mallinckrodt (Methylin)

REST IN PEACE
Old 01-02-11, 02:51 PM

Thanks for your replies.

I am getting enough sleep and eating well (although my appetite decreased) and been trying to avoid acidic foods. I will try to drink more water. I hope the headache/dizziness goes away.

I'm seeing my doctor this Sat. so hopefully I can convince her to increase my dose or maybe switch to XR. In the mean time, I will take it slow and try to be more patient.
Old 01-02-11, 03:01 PM

Well in my first month, i basically used my pills to sort of experiment and to find a dose that worked best. I was prescribe 10 mg IR, and found that two at a time was the best effect that i could ask for. Then i went to my doctor and told him that, and he put me on 30mg XR once a day and i was as happy as can be. In my opinion 5 mg would only be useful in trying to get to sleep at night. And like the other people said, the mild euphoria goes away, but that doesnt mean its not working. You should still feel the slow down thinking effect. Even with 5 mgs you should be able to notice some change.
Old 01-02-11, 04:56 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Naussicaa has a spectacular aura aboutNaussicaa has a spectacular aura about

^ I wouldn't say that the euphoria isn't part of it working. I really do work better on the euphoria wave. Its 'working' but it isn't helpful to the OP. What he wants it to have it work, euphoria or not.

Its definitely not working, a low dose like that isn't likely to give you much help in the long run. You're gonna need to up it, and probably sleep more. Try magnesium tablets, eating better, L-tyrosine supplements, and taking some fish oil. WHOA SO MANY DRUGS (its what I supplement mines with anyways, you may not need them all or need more). L-tyrosine will help immediately, if you took one today.
Old 01-05-11, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naussicaa View Post
^ I wouldn't say that the euphoria isn't part of it working. I really do work better on the euphoria wave. Its 'working' but it isn't helpful to the OP. What he wants it to have it work, euphoria or not.

Its definitely not working, a low dose like that isn't likely to give you much help in the long run. You're gonna need to up it, and probably sleep more. Try magnesium tablets, eating better, L-tyrosine supplements, and taking some fish oil. WHOA SO MANY DRUGS (its what I supplement mines with anyways, you may not need them all or need more). L-tyrosine will help immediately, if you took one today.
I mean, you can still feel pleasure and all because you now have more dopamines. Thats part of the reason why it works because it does give us the stimulation we need to feel good about the day. But it shouldnt be like a ridiculous high. It is only 5 mgs after all. For someone with lower that normal dopamine, this shouldnt give you a very euphoric experience if at all.
Old 01-06-11, 04:46 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Naussicaa has a spectacular aura aboutNaussicaa has a spectacular aura about

Well maybe it is to our OP. Johnny Carson felt great on his first 5mg and chased it, he never got the same level as the first time.