ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Misc Treatments and Approaches
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-11, 02:33 PM

whereami will become famous soon enough
Coconut Oil?

Has anyone out there tried Extra Virgin, Cold Pressed coconut oil?

Before I post reasons, I just wanted to see if there's others out there.

I'm on day one, for a reason other than ADd, but from what I've read there may be some related/unrelated benefits for my ADD (inattentive type).
Old 01-03-11, 02:44 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 16,603 Times in 7,836 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coconut Oil?

Doing a google it's not difficult to find trials and research done on fish oil and evening primrose oil, but I can't find any actual research on coconut oil. At any rate, I'm allergic to coconut so it's something that I won't be trying myself.
Old 01-06-11, 02:19 AM

Well,

It's a bit of a stretch, but I'm going to post my results nonetheless.

Two days in, I feel fantastic. More energy, better sleep, more awareness.

How much of it is Placebo? Time will tell.

The basis for taking Coconut Oil: I'm finding that an incredibly large number of people on these forums (especially those with inattentive-type ADD) either have, or suspect, hypothyroidism.

Hypothyroidism shares a lot with ADD, with very similar cognitive effects. They are also both very poorly diagnosed.

How it all ties together, I don't know. But, from what I've read, coconut oil has been used as a natural remedy for hypothyroidism. The result: Not all symptoms of hypothyroidism are resolved, but the cognitive symptoms generally are.

The theoretical mechanism of action is several-fold...but basically coconut oil is made up of medium-chain fatty acids..which take an entirely different metabolic pathway through the body and brain than most energy sources such as sugar and other fats. They supply the brain with an alternative energy source: Ketones (ketogenic diet).

The premise is that people with ADD are somehow not getting proper chemical stimulation to certain areas of their brain, which is why Adderall etc. works. Maybe there's bad receptors. Maybe not enough of one chemical is being produced. Whatever the problem, this offers an entirely different metabolic pathway, and energy source, to the brain. With any luck,it will bypass whatever bottlenecks or failures are occurring with typical (North American) glucose pathways which feed neurons and other dopamine-producing cells.

I'm going to give it a shot. I'll test my TSH levels after a month, and see how they've changed.

Naturally, my ADD symptoms are subjective but I'm going to be as unbiased as I can about this.

http://linkinghub.elsevier.com/retri...97458010004392

http://diabetes.diabetesjournals.org...58/5/1237.full

http://www.springerlink.com/index/A068288130368353.pdf

http://journals.cambridge.org/abstra...07114510000097

http://www.springerlink.com/index/L204XT687624J721.pdf

http://jcn.sagepub.com/content/24/6/727.abstract

http://www.touchneurology.com/articl...dhood-epilepsy

http://books.google.com/books?hl=en&...MDdXsAeU3OW-gA
The Following User Says Thank You to whereami For This Useful Post:
HappySad99 (04-13-13)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-11, 01:27 AM

I'm on day 3, and I have a LOT of energy. At the same time, I don't have the jitters and anxiety that I always got from Adderall.

By energy, I mean an overall feeling of strength and alertness. My body has more stamina, but my mind in particular is operating very similar to how it does on Adderall, without feelling "wound up". In particular:

My memory recall is as good if not better than when on adderall. I'm able to converse with people, remember their names, remember our last conversation, and the context.

On a related note: Driving: My number one test for ADHD is whether I remembered where my car was. Most days without the pill, I will forget. Or, I will constantly remind myself throughout the day (like flash cards) until I have memorized the location. Today, and the last few days, have been effortless. I left work, and drove home.

A bunch of us went out for lunch today. I know the name of the restaurant, and exactly how to get there, even though I wasn't driving. Normally, I cannot do this. My greatest weakness is spatial memory, which is puzzling because I have excellent spatial awareness at any one point in time.

I can remember all the conversations today, who I had them with, when, and why. Normally, I can't do this. I'm also usually exhausted right now, yet I am still fully functional. I also woke up on time today, while usually I sleep through my alarm.

I have disgraphia...it's as bad as ever but in today's world this doesn't even affect me. It's the memory recall that makes or breaks it for me, and that's exactly what this has improved, without question.

Is it a placebo affect? No. I've tried Omega-3, excessive exercise, caffeine, behavioral, and none of it has worked. Adderal and Ritalan have worked, with side effects. This is clearly different, in terms of energy, focus, and memory recall.

Will it work for everyone? No. It definitely won't work for people with coconut allergies (that was a joke). I have no idea why this works for me, and who else it would work for. I will say that I never felt quite right about the ADD diagnosis. My symptoms were more fatigue and memory-related...definitely inattentive-type if anything. I may have mild hypothyroidism, but I have not verified this quite yet.

Will it last? I don't know. Either way, I'll post it on here. Unlike most alternative treatments, this worked within one day, and has held steady since. I did not need to build it up.
Old 01-07-11, 09:25 AM

Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting. It really sounds like it's working as well for you as the fish oil works for me. And I guess I'm lucky it does since I really am allergic to coconut. On the skin - I get hives. Scent - give a migraine. In food - gut ache and migraine.
Old 01-08-11, 02:15 PM

Oh no! Well the fish oil may have similar mechanisms...lord knows the pharmaceutical industry isn't going to rush out to confirm that.

They both contain high concentrations of Oleic and Linoleic acid. These are both heavily researched and linked to higher cognitive function, and they are both C18 fatty acids, as are Omega 3 fatty acids.

Both also contain similar levels of Palmitic and Stearic Acid...roughly 30 percent:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturated_fat

One major difference is that Coconut oil is highest in medium-chain fatty acids such as Lauric Acid. Medium-chain fatty acids are an extremely beneficial, poorly understood fatty acid group:
http://www.apccsec.org/document/ENIG.pdf

On an unrelated note, I woke up this morning at 8:30 am (it's a saturday). I usually struggle to get out of bed before noon, usually rising around 11:30am. Obviously, the tendency has led me to be late for many things in my life (you would Not Believe what I do to force myself to work on weekdays...and I still show up late). The "lazy" and "careless" labels are not fun, especially when you care a LOT. I woke up at 8:30am this morning with no alarm, freely. I don't believe a plecebo could do that for me..but we'll see. It's my first weekend.
Old 01-08-11, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whereami View Post
Oh no! Well the fish oil may have similar mechanisms...lord knows the pharmaceutical industry isn't going to rush out to confirm that.

They both contain high concentrations of Oleic and Linoleic acid. These are both heavily researched and linked to higher cognitive function, and they are both C18 fatty acids, as are Omega 3 fatty acids.

Both also contain similar levels of Palmitic and Stearic Acid...roughly 30 percent:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturated_fat

One major difference is that Coconut oil is highest in medium-chain fatty acids such as Lauric Acid. Medium-chain fatty acids are an extremely beneficial, poorly understood fatty acid group:
http://www.apccsec.org/document/ENIG.pdf

On an unrelated note, I woke up this morning at 8:30 am (it's a saturday). I usually struggle to get out of bed before noon, usually rising around 11:30am. Obviously, the tendency has led me to be late for many things in my life (you would Not Believe what I do to force myself to work on weekdays...and I still show up late). The "lazy" and "careless" labels are not fun, especially when you care a LOT. I woke up at 8:30am this morning with no alarm, freely. I don't believe a plecebo could do that for me..but we'll see. It's my first weekend.
Studies indicate that our bodies don't process plant oils/fatty acids such as flax seed in the same way that they process fish oil - making fish oil easier to process and therefore more helpful in most cases. But everyone is different and there are probably some people who find plant based oils/fatty acids better than those from fish. I am curious as to what effect taking a fish oil supplement would have for you - but if the coconut oil is working well, why mess with success?
Old 01-08-11, 04:05 PM
ADDvanced Member

nomannomad has a spectacular aura aboutnomannomad has a spectacular aura about

Coconut oil is marketed for health because of the presence of medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs), not the essential fatty acids that make fish oil, flax oil, and hemp oil popular. Basically, MCTs are fats that absorb quickly, offering some of the quick energy of sugar without the insulin response (the blahs).

I've been using coconut oil for about a month as part of an attempt at a ketogenic (high fat, almost no carb) diet. Like a lot of things, it can seem like it is helping, but never in a huge way. I am not sure that any improvement isn't just the ketogenic diet, too.
Old 01-09-11, 02:40 AM

Hello nomannomad,

May I ask what kind of coconut oil you are using, and how much?

I'm using a cold-pressed virgin coconut oil, 1-2 tablespoons per day, and moving to 3 soon.

On another unrelated note: My feet don't stink! I was lying on the couch with my girlfriend today and she confirmed that this was the first time they didn't. Poor girl, she'd never mentioned anything until now lol. That alone is enough that I'm pretty sure the coconut oil is going to become permanent for me. Apparently the lauric acid has anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties.

I also have eczema on my hands...I have tried steroids creams, moisturizers, everything...and I've never been able to get rid of it. The coconut oil hasn't either, but the eczema is much less severe. I haven't even tried applying the coconut oil topically, but I'm going to start.

If something sounds too good to be true, it probably is...so far I'm a believer in what it's doing for me, but I'm not sure how many other people it will be relevant for. I may have some sort of deficiency of abnormality for which the coconut oil is compensating for. On the other hand, it can't hurt to try (unless...once again, you're allergic! Sorry Lunacie!)
Old 01-09-11, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
.... I am curious as to what effect taking a fish oil supplement would have for you - but if the coconut oil is working well, why mess with success?
Thanks Lunacie,

I've taken fish oil for most of my life, and focused on Omega-3 for several years. I believe that it does help, but for me the affect was long-term and thus difficult to gauge. I haven't really taken any supplements in about a year, so I make a good guinea pig.

The biggest difference I've noticed with coconut oil is the immediate, striking effect. It's much easier to measure...not quite as instant as adderall, but definitely within the same day or two. It would be difficult to say which oil is best long-term, that's always the million-dollar question. But I can say that I've never felt this good without adderall.

When I'm done evaluating the coconut oil, I'll probably continue to use fish oils, but that would just complicate things right now.
Old 01-09-11, 07:36 PM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Hello nomannomad,

May I ask what kind of coconut oil you are using, and how much?

I'm using a cold-pressed virgin coconut oil, 1-2 tablespoons per day, and moving to 3 soon.

If something sounds too good to be true, it probably is...so far I'm a believer in what it's doing for me, but I'm not sure how many other people it will be relevant for. I may have some sort of deficiency of abnormality for which the coconut oil is compensating for. On the other hand, it can't hurt to try (unless...once again, you're allergic! Sorry Lunacie!)
I have been taking extra virgin coconut oil, which is cold pressed. I have between 3 and 5 tablespoons per day. I should add that I have been mostly sticking to a ketogenic, or high fat/low carb diet. The coconut oil goes along with extra avocados, nuts, salad oils, and animal fats with my proteins.

For me, a high-fat diet seems to provide me with lots of energy without the ups and downs I get from lots of carbs. There is some research on ketogenic diets, but mostly with its use on epileptics.

For me a high fat/low carb diet is leveling, not stimulating like adderall. But keeping me from lows is equivalent to a stimulant, I guess?
The Following User Says Thank You to nomannomad For This Useful Post:
whereami (01-11-11)
Old 01-11-11, 12:45 AM

Thanks nomannomad,

That's how I feel too. I don't like, in any way, the exciteable effects of adderrall. Sometimes, I feel like it just changes me from ADD inattentive-type to adHd.

Don't get me wrong, Adderall does work for me, but I'm never comfortable in my own skin on those pills. I feel like I'm accomplishing a lot, without any clear direction. The health effects are the biggest concern.

I have a bad heart history in my family, so I have avoided a ketogenic diet. Rather, I'm using the coconut oil as a supplement...and alternative source of metabolism and energy for my mind.

My understanding is this:
Ketogenic diet means: your cholesterol will rise initially by as much as 30%, but should plateau or normalize from there.

Coconut oil alone: cholesterol should remain constant, HDL (good cholesterol) will rise, LDL (bad cholesterol) will drop.

But, a Ketogenic diet has proven cognitive effects whereas coconut oil is not as well-studied. Is that a fair summary?

cheers
Old 01-11-11, 02:10 AM

Thanked 20,051 Times in 7,221 Posts
ginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Let's be fair. The pharmaceutical companies do clinical trials on all of their products. Why? Because it's mandated so as not to compromise the health of people. People who make claims about neutraceuticals do not do these trials claiming all sorts of reasons but they're raking in billions and quite possibly compromising people's health (whether by their product being bad for people or simply discouraging people from real treatment that has been tested and proven effective) and we want to blame the pharm industry for the fact that the billions raked in by these people can't go towards research of their OWN products?

The neutraceutical industry promotes distrust of the medical profession and pharmaceuticals. (BILLIONS OF REASONS!!)
Dizfriz (01-11-11), EshkaronsEngine (01-11-11), peripatetic (01-11-11)
Old 01-11-11, 09:13 AM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Thanks nomannomad,

That's how I feel too. I don't like, in any way, the exciteable effects of adderrall. Sometimes, I feel like it just changes me from ADD inattentive-type to adHd.

Don't get me wrong, Adderall does work for me, but I'm never comfortable in my own skin on those pills. I feel like I'm accomplishing a lot, without any clear direction. The health effects are the biggest concern.

I have a bad heart history in my family, so I have avoided a ketogenic diet. Rather, I'm using the coconut oil as a supplement...and alternative source of metabolism and energy for my mind.

My understanding is this:
Ketogenic diet means: your cholesterol will rise initially by as much as 30%, but should plateau or normalize from there.

Coconut oil alone: cholesterol should remain constant, HDL (good cholesterol) will rise, LDL (bad cholesterol) will drop.

But, a Ketogenic diet has proven cognitive effects whereas coconut oil is not as well-studied. Is that a fair summary?

cheers

I mostly mentioned ketogenic diets here to highlight that I am not sure how much difference the coconut oil itself makes. But it does fit with my diet and it is a tasty way to get some extra fat for not too much money.

I really don't know for sure about research and I always have skepticism about medical claims. I've worked with research and scientists and I am a big proponent of the idea these issues are so complex that our (meaning humanity's) knowledge is limited. I mention research on the ketogenic diet mostly to highlight that the concept that it isn't entirely outlandish: it still could be "wrong". In addition to the research into epileptics, a noted science writer named Gary Taubes has done some work into the history of research on diet and how the conventional wisdom got that way. I wouldn't totally hang my hat on ANYONE'S ideas, but these discussions are food for thought.

For me, ketogenic type diets seem to work better. I am willing to take the risk, noting that I am not exactly going to be super-strict about it, since social life precludes eating that way.
Old 01-11-11, 09:17 AM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginniebean View Post
Let's be fair. The pharmaceutical companies do clinical trials on all of their products. Why? Because it's mandated so as not to compromise the health of people. People who make claims about neutraceuticals do not do these trials claiming all sorts of reasons but they're raking in billions and quite possibly compromising people's health (whether by their product being bad for people or simply discouraging people from real treatment that has been tested and proven effective) and we want to blame the pharm industry for the fact that the billions raked in by these people can't go towards research of their OWN products?

The neutraceutical industry promotes distrust of the medical profession and pharmaceuticals. (BILLIONS OF REASONS!!)
I am skeptical of both industries. The pharmaceutical industry does what it needs to generate a profit, the neutraceutical industry does the same. And both do things that compromise people's health. So do doctors, unfortunately.

In fact, the pharmaceutical industry's regulation (I'm talking U.S. here folks) does a lot to make it about the most profitable industry out there. The research is actually harder to do well than the pharma companies let on or the general public realizes, but there are clear delineations of "well enough" that keep most folks happy.