ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > General Parenting Issues
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Parenting Issues The purpose of this forum is to discuss general parenting issues related to children with AD/HD(ADD & ADHD)

Old 01-08-11, 03:30 PM

Sixofus is on a distinguished road
Re: Melatonin??

The CHADD meeting was in Calgary. Our first time to the meeting and really enjoyed it. I'm going to try him on 3mg of the strips that desolve and see how it works. Last night it was about 11:00 that he fell asleep. He was a good sleeper before the meds so I know it's a side effect. We're finally on the right type and dose of meds at almost a year of trying so now we're just trying to tweak it to help his sleep habits. I've copied this quote from the Medline Plus website that gives me a bit of cause for concern though. "Children: Melatonin should not be used in most children. It is POSSIBLY UNSAFE. Because of its effects on other hormones, melatonin might interfere with development during adolescence." Has anyone heard of this?
Old 01-08-11, 05:11 PM
ADDvanced Member

nomannomad has a spectacular aura aboutnomannomad has a spectacular aura about

I have mixed feeling about Melatonin. I find I am sensitive to it and I find that at typical doses long-term use makes sleep worse. Mostly you find 3mg tablets, but I prefer the 200mcg ones, even the 1mg are much better for me. And I have to be careful about taking it too late at night or else it makes it hard to awaken in the morning.

Another option for sleep is zinc-magnesium-b6 (I think it is b6!). This is sometimes sold in combo as ZMA. This has the benefit of being much less likely to cause grogginess in the morning than Melatonin for me.
Old 01-08-11, 06:21 PM

ChaoticZen is on a distinguished road

I was interested in Melatonin as well.

My primary care doctor told me that it needs to be taken on a consistent basis for quite awhile for it to really do any good.

I'm not sure I agree with this.

Now the bottle is sitting on my counter.

Any advice is welcome...
(I'm of average size/weight and take Adderall XR 20mg once a day and Effexor 75mg)

Thank you
Old 01-08-11, 09:13 PM

Ferris_mom is on a distinguished road

I bought melatonin because Ferris was having trouble sleeping at night. He only took it one night, and I've been the one using it periodically since. It is the 1mg tablets, and they really do help me when I get insomnia, which seems to be hormonally based with me... the funny thing is, Ferris is fine with falling asleep unassisted at night now, go figure..

Grateful for both of my boys...I wouldn't know what to do without them!!
Old 01-08-11, 11:48 PM
Forum Guru

MuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaoticZen View Post
I was interested in Melatonin as well.

My primary care doctor told me that it needs to be taken on a consistent basis for quite awhile for it to really do any good.

I'm not sure I agree with this.

Now the bottle is sitting on my counter.

Any advice is welcome...
(I'm of average size/weight and take Adderall XR 20mg once a day and Effexor 75mg)

Thank you
Just take one at bedtime and see how it goes
Old 01-09-11, 11:01 AM
Jr Member

Runningmom will become famous soon enough

I find that melatonin sometimes helps me fall asleep, but it does not help me stay asleep. I tried it with my 13 year old daughter, who sometimes has trouble falling asleep. She reported that it did not help her fall asleep. Her doctor recommended that we give it a try. I know people who do shift work (nurses, etc.) who swear by it. I think it really helps some people, and then for others, it does not really help.
Old 01-09-11, 12:15 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,847 Posts
Ms. Mango has a reputation beyond reputeMs. Mango has a reputation beyond reputeMs. Mango has a reputation beyond reputeMs. Mango has a reputation beyond reputeMs. Mango has a reputation beyond reputeMs. Mango has a reputation beyond reputeMs. Mango has a reputation beyond reputeMs. Mango has a reputation beyond reputeMs. Mango has a reputation beyond reputeMs. Mango has a reputation beyond reputeMs. Mango has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runningmom View Post
I find that melatonin sometimes helps me fall asleep, but it does not help me stay asleep. I tried it with my 13 year old daughter, who sometimes has trouble falling asleep. She reported that it did not help her fall asleep. Her doctor recommended that we give it a try. I know people who do shift work (nurses, etc.) who swear by it. I think it really helps some people, and then for others, it does not really help.
You can also find melatonin in a time-release version if you find that you're having problems staying asleep.

DH & I have used melatonin for long-haul travel to adjust to time zone changes and have given it to ds on occasion with good results.
Old 01-13-11, 05:58 PM
Jr Member

Rynne0406 is on a distinguished road

I love me some Melatonin. For myself (non adhd person) and my fiance (also non adhd). I also give it to my dog. we each take 5 mg at night. the dog not every night but sometimes she is too excited to lay down. Or she may go to sleep but wake up at 2 am ready to play and so I'll give it to her then. Vet told us about giving it to her so we're not just exhausted crazy people. I haven't tried it with my adhd son. But then again he has always slept like a rock. I have no idea how to get him to sleep when he doesn't go down it happens so rairly. Slept through the night at 6 weeks and sleeps at least 12 hours a night and that's with me waking him up. The weekends he will sleep 14 hours if I let him. I have worried about how much sleep he gets...
Old 01-14-11, 03:51 PM
Jr Member

Rynne0406 is on a distinguished road

Why did I write all that? Seriously kharma stinks. My son who has slept so much his whole life was up from about 12:15 - 3:30 AM last night. Oh I hope this was a fluke....
Old 08-07-11, 07:52 PM

jennyb2492 is on a distinguished road

I know this post is old, but I just joined and am doing some research about melatonin. I, too, was concerned about reports that warned of melatonin's effect on puberty - but I came across this article today. The study is small, but reassuring. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21340475
Old 08-08-11, 09:51 AM

FrazzledMomKnit has a spectacular aura aboutFrazzledMomKnit has a spectacular aura about

My 51-pound, 9 year old daughter takes 1/2 mg. of melatonin nightly (we cut a 1 mg). Without it, she is up for 1.5-2 hours unable to fall asleep. She doesn't have any problems with it.

I took 1 mg. once shortly after we started giving it to her to get an idea of what it might be like for her, and I hated it. I felt drugged. I woke up a few times in the middle of the night, and I felt like I couldn't move, like I had an awareness of being awake but couldn't do anything. I asked my daughter about how she felt with it, and it wasn't anything like that for her; to her it's no big deal and she says it helps her.
Old 08-08-11, 04:32 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,535 Times in 1,808 Posts
Lady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrazzledMomKnit View Post
I woke up a few times in the middle of the night, and I felt like I couldn't move, like I had an awareness of being awake but couldn't do anything.
You probably woke up during a REM cycle. When we dream or body becomes temporarily paralyzed so we're not moving about as we're dreaming about moving about. The lack of that happening is what leads to many cases of sleepwalking. So having times during the night when you can't move is actually normal, we just never remember because we're asleep. (usually)

And there's your random bit for the day.

I'm really glad that worked. Those would have been terrible last words.
Old 08-08-11, 04:44 PM
Contributor

Alex9 is just really niceAlex9 is just really niceAlex9 is just really niceAlex9 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyb2492 View Post
I know this post is old, but I just joined and am doing some research about melatonin. I, too, was concerned about reports that warned of melatonin's effect on puberty - but I came across this article today. The study is small, but reassuring. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21340475
As a teenager who's been taking melatonin nightly for 7 years I can say that it did not have any noticeable effects on my puberty. I'm short, but that runs in my family. I also went through puberty early, but that too seems to be genetic since my father also went through puberty early. Otherwise my puberty has been completely normal (if you discount the fact that I have more facial hair than most teens do)

I'm not saying that melatonin is 100% safe, but it has been researched pretty thoroughly and I've taken melatonin long term and I still went through puberty normally.
Old 08-08-11, 05:58 PM

FrazzledMomKnit has a spectacular aura aboutFrazzledMomKnit has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Lark View Post
You probably woke up during a REM cycle. When we dream or body becomes temporarily paralyzed so we're not moving about as we're dreaming about moving about. The lack of that happening is what leads to many cases of sleepwalking. So having times during the night when you can't move is actually normal, we just never remember because we're asleep. (usually)
Maybe, but it happened more than once that night and never before or since. I think if I ever needed something for sleep, I'd probably still try it before a "sleeping pill," but I'd try a lower dose first.
Old 08-09-11, 01:48 AM

x_Sunny_x is on a distinguished road

I took Dexedrine for years, and did use melatonin! It was very helpful, and I even got my room mate turned on it after some time.

Just be careful that it doesn't leave side effects during the day. I don't always like to use it because I found myself sleepy during the day after taking it.