ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 01-08-11, 12:20 PM
Jr Member

TarSnake will become famous soon enough
Adderall and pain

Hello all.
I was wondering if anyone has had increased pain/lowered pain threshold/pain perception problems since being on Adderall.

I was referred to a orthopedist for severe pain behind my shoulder blade. He said there was nothing wrong, but sent me to physical therapy anyways. The Physical Therapist did his own diagnosis and said that I had strained muscles in my shoulder and that was transferring pain to upper back and up my neck.

After my first PT my pain is much worse. The pain up my neck has caused a migraine-type headache for 5 days now. I can't sleep because there is no way of getting comfortable, I can't eat because the pain makes me so nauseated. I can't drive because my vision gets blurry and light hurts. (This is taking a ridiculous amount of time to type).

Neither my primary doctor nor my orthopedist prescribed anything for pain, so I have been taking the maximum doses of Tylenol every day, and alternating Ibuprofen and Naproxen (left over from another injury) every other day. (Also at the max doses) and using a heat pad. I get about 30 minutes of relief after each dose of Tylenol - Just enough to make my son dinner, fold laundry, etc., and it's not total relief by any stretch.

There is one more variable that I have not tried yet: Stopping my Adderall. I have not taken my dose yet today because I don't think I will be making it to work anyways, and hoping that the lack of stimulant will ease my headache and muscle pain.

Has anyone else tried this or heard of this? Maybe the blood pressure increase affects pain?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 01-08-11, 01:55 PM
Contributor

m1trLG2 is a splendid one to beholdm1trLG2 is a splendid one to beholdm1trLG2 is a splendid one to beholdm1trLG2 is a splendid one to beholdm1trLG2 is a splendid one to beholdm1trLG2 is a splendid one to beholdm1trLG2 is a splendid one to beholdm1trLG2 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Adderall and pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarSnake View Post
Hello all.
I was wondering if anyone has had increased pain/lowered pain threshold/pain perception problems since being on Adderall.

I was referred to a orthopedist for severe pain behind my shoulder blade. He said there was nothing wrong, but sent me to physical therapy anyways. The Physical Therapist did his own diagnosis and said that I had strained muscles in my shoulder and that was transferring pain to upper back and up my neck.

After my first PT my pain is much worse. The pain up my neck has caused a migraine-type headache for 5 days now. I can't sleep because there is no way of getting comfortable, I can't eat because the pain makes me so nauseated. I can't drive because my vision gets blurry and light hurts. (This is taking a ridiculous amount of time to type).

Neither my primary doctor nor my orthopedist prescribed anything for pain, so I have been taking the maximum doses of Tylenol every day, and alternating Ibuprofen and Naproxen (left over from another injury) every other day. (Also at the max doses) and using a heat pad. I get about 30 minutes of relief after each dose of Tylenol - Just enough to make my son dinner, fold laundry, etc., and it's not total relief by any stretch.

There is one more variable that I have not tried yet: Stopping my Adderall. I have not taken my dose yet today because I don't think I will be making it to work anyways, and hoping that the lack of stimulant will ease my headache and muscle pain.

Has anyone else tried this or heard of this? Maybe the blood pressure increase affects pain?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Is it IR or XR? I never had problems on the XR but when I took the IR I would get severe pain in all my joints. I felt like they were all inflamed or swollen... like not just pain but like I couldn't move.

I don't know why the IR did this and not the XR but I did notice that things like caffeine made it even worse. If I drank a TON of water it helped a lot.
100% medicated
Old 01-08-11, 02:03 PM
Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1trLG2 View Post
Is it IR or XR? I never had problems on the XR but when I took the IR I would get severe pain in all my joints. I felt like they were all inflamed or swollen... like not just pain but like I couldn't move.

I don't know why the IR did this and not the XR but I did notice that things like caffeine made it even worse. If I drank a TON of water it helped a lot.
I take the IR right now. We (my doctor and I) are trying to find the right level, then I will go on XR. I am going on 24 hours since my last dose and I am feeling a bit better than yesterday or last night. (I would have gone to the ER last if it wasn't that my son was asleep and I didn't want to wake him up).

I don't have pain all over like you had, in fact until this injury, the only discomfort I've had with Adderall were some mild headaches during the initial titration. I drink a lot of water, but also a lot of caffeinated drinks trying to stay alert at work...not sleeping well, you know.
Old 01-08-11, 02:18 PM
Contributor

m1trLG2 is a splendid one to beholdm1trLG2 is a splendid one to beholdm1trLG2 is a splendid one to beholdm1trLG2 is a splendid one to beholdm1trLG2 is a splendid one to beholdm1trLG2 is a splendid one to beholdm1trLG2 is a splendid one to beholdm1trLG2 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I take the IR right now. We (my doctor and I) are trying to find the right level, then I will go on XR. I am going on 24 hours since my last dose and I am feeling a bit better than yesterday or last night. (I would have gone to the ER last if it wasn't that my son was asleep and I didn't want to wake him up).

I don't have pain all over like you had, in fact until this injury, the only discomfort I've had with Adderall were some mild headaches during the initial titration. I drink a lot of water, but also a lot of caffeinated drinks trying to stay alert at work...not sleeping well, you know.
Hmm, I would ask to switch to XR. I don't know how knowing the right dose of IR would help XR because I can take max dose of IR and it does nothing for me at all. No effect what so ever, but XR 30mg was my best friend. The release systems that effect the drug's uptake are totally different and therefore I don't think dosing is correlation. Though I am not a Psychiatrist but I have experience with a lot of these meds and haven't seen IR used as a predictor of the XR dose. See if you can bump up to the XR and if your pain goes away.

I know that they probably have checked for this but I'll ask anyway. They have checked you for a blood clot in your lung right? Sometimes (rarely) adderall can be the cause of an embolism. Do you ever have a burning sensation where the pain is? Do you notice that Advil (Ibuprofen) works better than Tylenol for the pain?
100% medicated
Old 01-08-11, 02:48 PM
Jr Member

Quote:
Hmm, I would ask to switch to XR. I don't know how knowing the right dose of IR would help XR because I can take max dose of IR and it does nothing for me at all. No effect what so ever, but XR 30mg was my best friend. The release systems that effect the drug's uptake are totally different and therefore I don't think dosing is correlation. Though I am not a Psychiatrist but I have experience with a lot of these meds and haven't seen IR used as a predictor of the XR dose. See if you can bump up to the XR and if your pain goes away.

I know that they probably have checked for this but I'll ask anyway. They have checked you for a blood clot in your lung right? Sometimes (rarely) adderall can be the cause of an embolism. Do you ever have a burning sensation where the pain is? Do you notice that Advil (Ibuprofen) works better than Tylenol for the pain?
No pain in lungs, chest or anywhere else, but no, they did not didn't check me for anything. They didn't check my blood, urine, saliva, hair, breath, or attitude. They did an x-ray that showed nothing. (Would an x-ray even show tissue damage?) I'm not real happy with how I've been "processed" by the medical doctors so far.
Ibuprofen doesn't touch the pain, I'm taking it to keep the inflammation down...if there is any that is. They didn't even advise me on that. I'm basically using my past experience and the good old internet to figure out what medications to take. Tylenol takes the edge off for a few minutes at a time. Tylenol, heat on my neck/shoulder, ice pack on my head.

On a slightly different note:
When did patient comfort become a non-issue to these doctors. The only person who asked about my pain or discomfort level was the physical therapist. This orthopedist is also treating my ankle. He wants to do arthoscopy on it to take out some bone fragments and loose cartilage. I really don't want him to do it. If this is the comfort care I get now, what is there to make me believe he'll care about my pain during or after a surgery?
Old 01-08-11, 03:59 PM

jeninok will become famous soon enough

I have chronic shoulder pain as well, and it can be downright miserable! You never realize how connected that area of your body is until you have a problem there. For several years the pain randomly migrated from my shoulder blade down my arm, into my neck, and even down my back into my sciatic nerve.

Aleve works best for me for pain, I take one every morning with my meds to stop the swelling from arthritis that has already started in my shoulder and hand.

I also use these little patches called Salonpas. They have menthol and salycilic acid and really help and you can target specific areas of pain or tenderness with them.
Old 01-08-11, 06:07 PM
Contributor

imreallyjin has a spectacular aura aboutimreallyjin has a spectacular aura about

looks like you have a severe case of "Trigger Points"
I've been @ your place for a while until I vigorously researched online and through several doctors who jus said "you look fine to me" bs.

at least your doc is right about muscles causing the shoulder pain to travel down your back, and up your neck. It is actually a tight knot of muscles that give you so much pain - http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...herapy&x=0&y=0

unless you get rid of the Trigger Points, medication wouldn't really help except give you momentarily break as you said. It is like self medicating for those who have no idea that they are diagnosed. It isn't until they are diagnosed that they can treat the problem with proper professional & self care along medication.

Hope you check out the trigger point manual and get better!
Old 01-08-11, 06:17 PM
Contributor

Quote:
No pain in lungs, chest or anywhere else, but no, they did not didn't check me for anything. They didn't check my blood, urine, saliva, hair, breath, or attitude. They did an x-ray that showed nothing. (Would an x-ray even show tissue damage?) I'm not real happy with how I've been "processed" by the medical doctors so far.
Ibuprofen doesn't touch the pain, I'm taking it to keep the inflammation down...if there is any that is. They didn't even advise me on that. I'm basically using my past experience and the good old internet to figure out what medications to take. Tylenol takes the edge off for a few minutes at a time. Tylenol, heat on my neck/shoulder, ice pack on my head.
Tissue damage would show up if it were either recent, or extensive. Though most tissue damage would require an MRI. Do you have any other diagnosis than ADHD? Depression perhaps? I have seen doctors dismiss pain in people with depression or those they think are at risk for fibro myalgia(sp?) because they assume it's a 'mental thing.' I would try to get it taken care of though rather than continuing tylenol. This is is hard on your body. Do you have the ability to see another doctor? Second opinion?

Quote:
On a slightly different note:
When did patient comfort become a non-issue to these doctors. The only person who asked about my pain or discomfort level was the physical therapist. This orthopedist is also treating my ankle. He wants to do arthoscopy on it to take out some bone fragments and loose cartilage. I really don't want him to do it. If this is the comfort care I get now, what is there to make me believe he'll care about my pain during or after a surgery?
If you don't want him to you can say no. He should be sensitive to your preferences.

I think some doctors see their jobs as as 'body'.. kind of like a Psychologist doesn't fix a broken arm, perhaps they see any 'feeling' outside the realm of their job description? I don't know... just a thought. It needs to change though.
100% medicated
Old 01-08-11, 07:41 PM
Forum ADDvocate

425runner has a spectacular aura about425runner has a spectacular aura about

Adderall actually eased my chronic occipital neuralgia pain. But it causes me to pee a lot and I feel like having a UTI all the time, weird....
Old 01-08-11, 08:24 PM
Jr Member

Quote:
Tissue damage would show up if it were either recent, or extensive. Though most tissue damage would require an MRI. Do you have any other diagnosis than ADHD? Depression perhaps? I have seen doctors dismiss pain in people with depression or those they think are at risk for fibro myalgia(sp?) because they assume it's a 'mental thing.' I would try to get it taken care of though rather than continuing tylenol. This is is hard on your body. Do you have the ability to see another doctor? Second opinion?

If you don't want him to you can say no. He should be sensitive to your preferences.

I think some doctors see their jobs as as 'body'.. kind of like a Psychologist doesn't fix a broken arm, perhaps they see any 'feeling' outside the realm of their job description? I don't know... just a thought. It needs to change though.
I am still working through all the mood/mental diagnosis. I went to the Psychiatrist because of depression, yes. After talking for a while, we figured out that a good deal of my depression was coming from the fact that I felt like a failure at life because I couldn't finish anything I started or that no mater how many things I did complete I thought it wasn't good enough. She thought there was a pretty good chance of ADD and so Adderall was prescribed. I guess I am ADD because since I have been on the medication, I get so much done and feel really proud of my accomplishments. I doubt that my primary doc or the orthopedist have any idea other than they know I'm on Adderall for ADD.
I will change, I think. Just going broke on co-pays at the moment. ($105 a week just at the physical therapist)

Thanks so much for all your advice and concern. I've found today that just talking about it helps. I always feel so alone and hate to even tell people that I'm hurting.
Old 01-08-11, 08:26 PM
Jr Member

Thanks to you all for the advice. It's nice to have a place to come and complain.
Old 01-09-11, 06:26 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,784 Times in 1,933 Posts
Imnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond repute

Tarsnake, has a doctor examined your for the tender points of Fibromyalgia?

Phaedrus

Old 01-09-11, 06:36 PM
Banned

Jester is a jewel in the roughJester is a jewel in the roughJester is a jewel in the rough

Old 01-10-11, 01:12 AM

westcyderydin is on a distinguished road

that chart wouldnt help me at all...haha, if i way 200 pounds how many Kgs would that make me?
Old 01-10-11, 01:13 AM

westcyderydin is on a distinguished road

that would really hurt to get shot in the kneecap with an AK 47, though...interesting that they put that in the chart