ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > Children's Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Children's Diagnosis & Treatment This forums is for parents to discuss issues related to diagnosis and treament of children with AD/HD

Old 01-08-11, 12:31 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Codykins is a splendid one to beholdCodykins is a splendid one to beholdCodykins is a splendid one to beholdCodykins is a splendid one to beholdCodykins is a splendid one to beholdCodykins is a splendid one to beholdCodykins is a splendid one to behold
Lack of appetite w/ 10 year old

Ok well I have been dealing with the side effect of treatment with my son for two years and all and all he has lost significant weight. He is seen every 6 months to monitor his weight. Here is my question?

What have you done to help get your child to eat more when they are not hungrey? As you can guess, he is a picky eater as well.

He does not like shakes etc and his doctors tells me that lowering the dose will not help that. So I am asking if anyone has found a way to get their children to eat better while on medication. He takes vitamins and eats a great breakfast every morning, barely any lunch and a so, so dinner.

On his off days, he is a eating fool - he will eat all day long. I have talked to him about the importance of eating even when he is not hungry and I have asked him do at least the minimum like eating at least one half of his sandwich at lunch. To try and have a snack during snack time, etc. but it hasn't helped him keep on weight.

Any magic adivise?
Old 01-08-11, 01:00 PM

Babyanne has a spectacular aura aboutBabyanne has a spectacular aura about
Re: Lack of appetite w/ 10 year old

I don't have any magic advice but I think you are describing my son to a T. we have just been told by the doctor that either he gains 3 pounds in 6 weeks or he comes off the meds. A very bad idea academically. He doesn't mind the PediaSure completes but he also gets bored with food very fast. I was doing some reading this morning and someone suggested beef jerky (something my son loves). another suggestion that I found was Bread and Butter with loads of butter. mashed potatoes with full fat sour cream instead of butter.

Hope some of these help and know that you have a friend out there who understands.

Oh and you might get a kick out of this I found a sight for "recipes for picky eaters" they had a recipe for Crunchy Kale.....Yeah Right!!!

Hope you have a good day!
Old 01-08-11, 02:39 PM
Forum Guru

MuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud of

We are dealing with food issues here, so I can't offer much other than my nephew (who takes adhd meds) has a late-night snack right before bed which I am going to start trying. Try getting in as much 'calorie dense' food as possible - fats have 9 calories per gram, as opposed to 4 for protein and carbs and there are plenty of healthy fats around.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-11, 03:00 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Codykins is a splendid one to beholdCodykins is a splendid one to beholdCodykins is a splendid one to beholdCodykins is a splendid one to beholdCodykins is a splendid one to beholdCodykins is a splendid one to beholdCodykins is a splendid one to behold

Thank you and good advise. He does seem hungrey before bed so I will make it a point of giving him a bowl of ceral or something. Good suggestion! Thank you!
Old 01-08-11, 10:45 PM

OrionsMom has a spectacular aura aboutOrionsMom has a spectacular aura about

When my son was on the adderall he had no appetite, I basically explained to him that he either ate and gained weight or he went off his meds and life went back to the way it used to be with kids afraid to be around him and no one to play with. He ate a hearty breakfast, I always made him yummy stuff like ham, egg and cheese omelets that I knew he would eat. For lunch he had to eat at least half his sandwich and then after school I would give him a snack that he would enjoy like a big chunk of cheddar cheese. I always reminded him that his meds were tricking him into thinking he wasn't hungry. We switched to Concerta and haven't had this problem since.
Luvmybully (01-12-11), Runningmom (01-09-11)
Old 01-09-11, 10:12 AM
Jr Member

Runningmom will become famous soon enough

My daughter is 13 and has been on Concerta since she was 7. She has always been in the 5th percentile for weight.

Her appetite decreased when started taking the medication, during the day, but at night I noticed she would eat more.

I took advantage of this by making sure she ate a good breakfast every morning before the meds kicked in, and a good dinner at night, after the meds wore off.

I also would let her have like a smoothie or something along those lines, for dessert in the evening, to add a little extra calories to her intake in an enticing, yet still tasty treat.
Old 01-09-11, 04:38 PM
Contributor

Lv2sleep is a name known to allLv2sleep is a name known to allLv2sleep is a name known to allLv2sleep is a name known to allLv2sleep is a name known to allLv2sleep is a name known to allLv2sleep is a name known to all

My little girl is in the 5th percentile as well. I have learned to let her eat whenever she is hungry, no matter what. She is terribly hungry at bedtime! lol! Just when I need her to settle down and go to sleep, she is starving. I usually end up making her eggs or a grilled cheese. Something with a lot of protein and fat. Since she doesn't eat a lot of dinner, I am thinking of leaving her plate in the fridge and just heating it up at 8 or 9 pm....

She also eats a big breakfast. I have learned that she simply isn't hungry from b'fast until around dinner time. But her biggest eating period is between 8 and 9 pm.... Oh well!
Old 01-09-11, 05:42 PM
Banned

Jester is a jewel in the roughJester is a jewel in the roughJester is a jewel in the rough

There's two ways of solving this and you won't like any of the 2:

1) Stop the medication

2) Give him expensive, healthy and great tasting food, in smaller amounts then usual food. Example: Sushi. Complement with food supplements. He won't mind taking pills and it can be of great help.
Old 01-09-11, 07:28 PM

Thanked 4,136 Times in 1,833 Posts
Ms. Mango has a reputation beyond reputeMs. Mango has a reputation beyond reputeMs. Mango has a reputation beyond reputeMs. Mango has a reputation beyond reputeMs. Mango has a reputation beyond reputeMs. Mango has a reputation beyond reputeMs. Mango has a reputation beyond reputeMs. Mango has a reputation beyond reputeMs. Mango has a reputation beyond reputeMs. Mango has a reputation beyond reputeMs. Mango has a reputation beyond repute

It's hard to convince someone to eat when they aren't hungry.

When my son was on stiumlants we found that he ate a good breakfast and then just picked at everything until bedtime. At 9pm he'd be hungry. Initially we just gave him a snack, but in time we ended up letting him eat dinner at 9. We asked him to sit though dinner with us if possible just so we could all share our day, but he didn't have to eat if he didn't want to. We'd wrap up his dinner and save it until bedtime.

If all else fails you can ask for a prescription of periactin. It's an antihistamine that also acts as an appetite stimulant. DS has been on it since late August and has gained 5 lb.
Old 01-09-11, 08:02 PM
Forum Guru

CrazyLazyGal has much to be proud ofCrazyLazyGal has much to be proud ofCrazyLazyGal has much to be proud ofCrazyLazyGal has much to be proud ofCrazyLazyGal has much to be proud ofCrazyLazyGal has much to be proud ofCrazyLazyGal has much to be proud ofCrazyLazyGal has much to be proud ofCrazyLazyGal has much to be proud of

I would echo what others say about letting him eat later when the meds have worn off. There are some healthy but calorie-dense foods such as nuts, avocado, eggs, meat, dried fruits, potatoes, and milk. All these should be given in moderation, but it's better than feeding him chocolate and ice cream!

There are also certain foods that make you feel fuller because they're mostly water--foods like watermelon and lettuce. You can substitute these mostly-water foods for less water-packed alternatives such as bananas and dried fruits.

Finally, sometimes he may feel thirsty but not hungry, so you can take advantage of those times to give him something with more calories to drink. You mentioned he doesn't like shakes. Milk and 100% juices are filled with calories and nutrients.
Old 01-09-11, 09:54 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Thanks for replies and ideas! I always let Cody have a snack before bed but I think I'll just suggest he eat in sted. We have talked about the importance of truing to eat when not hungry (lunch time) and he is trying hard to eat something. Letting him have his great breakfast, small lunch and dinner later may help!
Old 01-10-11, 10:06 AM
Banned

Jester is a jewel in the roughJester is a jewel in the roughJester is a jewel in the rough

just got pm
Old 01-11-11, 02:07 PM
ADDvanced Member

Dovie is a splendid one to beholdDovie is a splendid one to beholdDovie is a splendid one to beholdDovie is a splendid one to beholdDovie is a splendid one to beholdDovie is a splendid one to beholdDovie is a splendid one to behold

You know, we eat dinner food for breakfast since it's longer lasting, a medium lunch, and a light dinner. You could try reversing your daily food schedule and see if that helps. Those hearty dinners pack a lot more punch than most breakfast food.
Old 01-12-11, 08:37 AM

Gemma77 will become famous soon enough

My son has only been on meds for 3 months and hasnt lost any weight yet but we have noticed that his appetite during the day is poor.

To be honest it wasnt great before the medication. I think most children 'east to survive', there is just too much fun to be had rather than sitting eating food! It must be even harder for children with ADHD (my son struggled to sit still long enough to eat his lunch and was so easily distracted by anything that lunch time was over before he had hardly eaten a bite!) Then you help with the ADHD but the appetite is affected, so not much change for us in term of lunch!

I do worry about him losing weight as he is quite skinny already but thankfully he hasnt lost any weight so far. He is hungry in the mornings so he has two bowls of cereal and sometimes toast too if we have time. His lunch is nibbled at and his dinner is so so. I try and always give him dessert after dinner, even if he doesnt finish all his food (my mum is so against this as we were taught to eat every scrap of food to get anything else... probably explains my tight jeans!!) So he'll have icecream and fruit, yogurt, rice pudding etc. I also let him have toast with hot milk before he goes to bed if he is a little hungry. I have replaced his semi skimmed milk, low fat yogurts etc with full fat varieties too. So far this seems to help.

HTHs
Old 01-12-11, 10:55 AM
Banned

Trevor4N will become famous soon enough

I would think dose is too high. You could also ask about drugs to induce hunger like CEMO drugs or antipsychotics.. Ask a good qualified ADHD psychtrist. AntiPsychotic drugs are known for weight gain.