ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 01-10-11, 09:11 PM
Jr Member

magician11 is on a distinguished road
Does Adderall or Concerta cause mood swings and irritability often?

My dosage of concerta got bumped upto 36mg and today was emotionally the worst day of my life. I am a very happy and jittery kind of person, but today it changed.
I started the day out normal, then around 10am I randomly started getting thoughts of wanting to be dead and hating life. I was on the brink of crying for so long.....I was getting in such bad shape that I left my class 2 hours before I was supposed to and went to my car to start crying over nothing.
I talked to my doctor and she got me off, my sadness has turned into irritability and anger for the most part right now. I came home and flushed the pills and then started raging at my family, and they know I'm on the brink of punching somebody in the face....so they're going easy on me.
I feel 10% better, and I'm drinking liters of water to try to get this stuff out of my system....but it could take a few days. I've been on concerta for 3 weeks....with 36mg started a couple days ago.
Old 01-11-11, 10:10 AM

tinman8881 will become famous soon enough
Re: Does Adderall or Concerta cause mood swings and irritability often?

adderall did the exact samething to me. im sorry but i dont know what to do either man im lost right now. im not sure what drug will help me but not make me depressed and angry.
Old 01-11-11, 12:34 PM

SmallTownGirl is on a distinguished road

I get irritability and mood swings on adderall. Most of the time it manifests itself as irritability. Sometimes i'll be pro-social (mostly when "coming up" on the med), other times I'll have zero desire to socialize. If I'm bored and not doing anything productive, I can become quite irritable. I don't get depressed on it, oftentimes I can get anxious though.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-11, 02:10 PM
Banned

Jester is a jewel in the roughJester is a jewel in the roughJester is a jewel in the rough

Idk I'm only calm on dex, Adderall makes me mad.
Old 01-14-11, 01:17 PM
Jr Member

jcpa is on a distinguished road

I've only been on adderall IR for a month, 3 weeks at 10mg 2x a day and the last 3 days 20mg 4x per day. Adderall totally relaxes me mentally, it quiets my mind down so that I can focus on a task at hand instead of focusing poorly on many different things. It also seems to help with hyperfocus and some other issues that are a bit unique to me. That said, I had horrible mood / depression and highly intensified other negative issues when the adderall wore off (about 5 hours after the dose) when I was taking it 2x a day. Since my doc upped the dose and the frequency I have not had those issues unless I forget to take a dose on time. Although its only been 3 days, so next month I may write a post *****ing about how much I hate the medication...who knows.
Old 01-16-11, 12:30 AM
Contributor

dbellca82 has a spectacular aura aboutdbellca82 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by magician11 View Post
My dosage of concerta got bumped upto 36mg and today was emotionally the worst day of my life. I am a very happy and jittery kind of person, but today it changed.
I started the day out normal, then around 10am I randomly started getting thoughts of wanting to be dead and hating life. I was on the brink of crying for so long.....I was getting in such bad shape that I left my class 2 hours before I was supposed to and went to my car to start crying over nothing.
I talked to my doctor and she got me off, my sadness has turned into irritability and anger for the most part right now. I came home and flushed the pills and then started raging at my family, and they know I'm on the brink of punching somebody in the face....so they're going easy on me.
I feel 10% better, and I'm drinking liters of water to try to get this stuff out of my system....but it could take a few days. I've been on concerta for 3 weeks....with 36mg started a couple days ago.
It depends on the acatual person, generally though yes each can cause either or independently or at same time. This is usually because the dose is to high though, but also can jsut be because you are having a bad or off day which still happens which you are on medication. My expierence is that I have taken every stimulant known for ADHD in all doses. For example, I have taken Concerta 54mg 2x Daily, 36mg 2x Daily which did nothing at all period and was like taking nothing. I have been at 60mg daily of adderall for almost 2years now, I was taking 30mg XR for almost 2years but recently told Doc I wanted to go IR, so now I still take 60 per day, but its now 20mg IR 3x daily, rather than previous XR 30mg 2x daily

1 mg methylphenidate = 0.5 mg D-amphetamine = 0.5 - 0.75 mg Adderall

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry, alcohol is a solution.
Old 01-16-11, 04:02 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Skully has a spectacular aura aboutSkully has a spectacular aura about

I know that if you are bipolar, Adderall can induce mania. It can also give you a uphoric since of self and give you that "high" feeling. I have not had any of those experiences (I am bipolar) but I do know of people that have had that happen to them.

Your symptoms could be a sign that Adderall is not the right med for you. If you have no other diagnosis, you may want to talk to your pdoc about what is going on. He/she may change meds.

Me: "I love french fries with my hamburgers and also milk shakes but I don't like milk because it makes me sick which reminds me I better get my flu shot before I get the flu which dries out my skin but I use jergens which is greasy like fries."

Dr: let me wash my hands before I increase your Adderall.